Sign in to follow this  
Bee

Is it just me or do you prefer suicide over replenishing vitamins?

Is it just me or do you prefer suicide over replenishing vitamins?

Just curious. Because the ingredients required to make those advanced recipes are just super insane and even then they only replenish 2 vitamins and trying to consume the basic stuff such as milk/fish for vitamins is just tiring and time consuming, this is my opinion on the matter.

What about you guys? Do you take the time to cook the food instead of just suicide?

• Like 1

Sometimes it is just easier to just die, than to replenish your vitamins and food/water, but i think in the long run when it gets implemented that you die at 100 years age, will encourage to eat more often to not age fast by dying.

so i gues i am atm. doing a 50/50 thing 😉

I have done that for approx 2 weeks. After that some good cooks settled in so it is a little more spread out. But on voyages I still suicide. It’s just easier. 

Death is nothing but a benefit right now unless there isnt a bed nearby, there is zero downside to it.

16 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

Death is nothing but a benefit right now unless there isnt a bed nearby, there is zero downside to it.

The problem isn't that death isn't a downside, the problem is that death is more appealing than gaming all of the vitamins.

I don't want to die, it is annoying, but i'd take it over wasting time farming vitamins. The vitamin system needs a rework. As I saw someone mention in another thread :

Break the food system into 3 parts :

1. Protein

-Eating meat restores this bar

2.Vitamins

-Eating fruit and veg restores the vitamin bar

3.Hydration

-drinking water restores this bar

Must easier, and much more intuitive, and I can stand to actually use it.. What I don't want is to waste precious time gaming some convoluted set of colour bars.

Steamline and keep it simple. The OP points this problem out perfectly with the title of the thread. It completely exposes the fault with the vitamin mechanic as is. Make no mistake, this isn't about death, this is about vitamins.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 3

I've recently taken to this practice too. I tried to avoid it at first, but when you're logging in during the week and have a couple hours to play at most it is hard to validate spending time collecting the various foods to replenish all the ones that spoiled over night, only to repeat the cycle again the next evening.

As far as death not having a downside, I have thought it might be best if they combine the death and aging systems together completely; make it so dying is the only way you age. That way players are more careful, especially as they "get older", unless they are "ready to pass on their legacy"; and people who can't log in for a week or two don't lose out on the duration of their character because they have a life outside the game.

Edited by Uueerdo
  • Like 1

yes yes and yes. vitamins aren't that bad for me it's more heat, i can't seem to stop myself over heating no matter what i do, things help temporarily, but it's so annoying, then my toon starts panting like a mad women due to water which runs out in like 1min, so i just kill myself. 

7 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

I've recently taken to this practice too. I tried to avoid it at first, but when you're logging in during the week and have a couple hours to play at most it is hard to validate spending time collecting the various foods to replenish all the ones that spoiled over night, only to repeat the cycle again the next evening.

This too actually,  bit of a bore gathering food, the only time i feel it's needed is when exploring an island i don't know.

If you can get into cooking, it turns the vitamin game into a nothing.  Since cooked food lasts 16 hours, it rarely spoils.  It just shifts a lot of value into the cooking system but in a way it also makes it have a reason to take (otherwise yeah.. just die)

I used to always prefer to kill myself when deficiencies hit early game. Now however I replenish my vitamins easily.

I've always got a large stash of Acai and also Coconuts. That covers two. Then i've always got meat as i generally kill stuff when i'm out and about, and then as for Vitamin D which used to be the most annoying one i've got a cow now so just go to her for milk.

Ever since my farm started thriving and my wife took all the cooking skills, we started making some of the better foods. 1 Amy's Bubble Cake and 1 Pork Pie will fill all my vitamins and fill all my hunger. I just prefer not to die.

Unless im on a long voyage I have no problems keeping vitamins up and the eq buff. Its those long voyages that get me, mostly because im not paying attention to my food. We have a training dummy on board to burn off food but its hard to look out for demon ships and beat on the dummy. I guess i need to start letting my 1st mate take the helm while I burn off some calories.

• Like 1

A couple weeks ago we absolutely just died whenever we were on a raft or ship going anywhere.  We tried to take turns so that we wouldn't all be dying at the same time and someone could still be alive to steer.  Now there have been patches which helped depletion while at sea, though it is still hard to be hungry enough to refill vitamins (didn't know about the training dummy for that, that's a huge help, thanks!).  When at home and doing stuff around the base, we are killed about every 5 minutes anyway, so that's not an issue!  😄

There's no point in doing anything else but suicide.  It's quick and easy, and avoids messing around gathering food, cooking meat and even makes the entire Cooking skill tree worthless.  I have the Vitamin skills and decent Fortitude so I don't need to suicide very often anyway.

I prefer to maintain the equilibrium buff, since it allows me to live longer against the roaming hordes of wolves, so dying isn't a great option.

I prefer to have all my vitamins well balanced and as high as possible. I kind of enjoy the satisfaction of mastering it.  However, my current base is on an island with zero vitamin A.  So until I start farming or cooking to fix this issue i too have resorted to the quick fix of ordering a new body with a full set of vitamins once I start taking damage from low vitamin A.

I do it all the time. I wear no armor. It's just so easy to die and go get your shit, especially in PvE

I think there's some improvements needed on the cooking tree and food spoilage times that would straighten it all out. Specifically, a waterskin with 1/200 is the same as a waterskin with 200/200 for cooking, which makes getting water to cook annoying. And for me, everything has spoiled into nonexistance if I'm logged out for more than a day (that's cooked food in a preserving bag, with preserving salt in it).

Dieing is currently easier than cooking, but I have high hopes that it will improve.

na you just die honestly aslong as your bed is near body. There is no point in trying finding the most awful D-vitamin. which is the one that ultimate makes me commit suicide.

It's not uncommon to see "So and so died" and over discord all you hear is "vitamins."

I don't mind the added complexity or challenge of balancing the vitamins, but it's not done very well yet in Atlas.  In Eco, it's done really well.  Here, not so much.  Hopefully it gets rebalanced

Generally easier to just die, but more fun to actually try and survive. Plus as Nari mentions, that EQ buff is really nice!

I just die, I do not even eat annymore before my vitamins go way much faster then my hunger (have a lot of points in fortitude). then when vitamins are on 10, i run to my bed, eat some poop, and move on agian 😛

If i would eat, i would have overeating in no time. the vitamine thing is not realy on point.

5 hours ago, Dorf said:

I prefer to have all my vitamins well balanced and as high as possible. I kind of enjoy the satisfaction of mastering it.  However, my current base is on an island with zero vitamin A.  So until I start farming or cooking to fix this issue i too have resorted to the quick fix of ordering a new body with a full set of vitamins once I start taking damage from low vitamin A.

I experienced this sane frustration until I learned that you can use a shovel to dig for potatoes anywhere you could also dig for water. Game changer on vitamin A.

At first I tried, but I just don't care anymore. Especially since moving to an island that only has meat (water is so cold you freeze in seconds with 40 fortitude and fine fur. Tried fishing, with bait, fine pole, watched for hours as fish swam past my wormsicle and laughed at me.). I also spend most of my time sailing. Everything spoils too fast to be worth the trouble of trying to keep four vitamins balanced. I need my skill points for worthwhile abilities. 

-20% vitamin depletion, eating 1 fish, 1 meat and 5 berries/veggies per meal, restores 20+ hunger and 5 of each vitamins. The equilibrium buff is well worth the effort and getting the food is just few minutes of gathering or killing, then cook and store. The only problem that have with vitamins is they drop too fast like if they were not affected by fortitude (having 60 and 90 with EQ buff) and also at sea when sailing or just simply doing non-heavy tasks at home can't keep up without overeating, swimming in cold water is actualy beneficial for us bcs we lose some hp which use up that stored hunger..., also EQ vanishes after some time of not eating even if our vitamins are still equal and at half meter. EQ is also bugged and vanishes when crossing grids which makes it hard to maintain during exploration.

5 hours ago, Dorf said:

Could always spec into cooking, the first basic skill gives a tea which is made of berries and it changes vitamin C berries into vitamin A tea, the tea also have 30 minutes decay timer as oposed to berries having 10.

• Thanks 1