Sign in to follow this  
Maxi

OFFICIAL REQUEST: TURNBACK SKILL POINT

Just now, KimRSQ said:

r u really think that the devs read posted msg with any alternative suggestions ? do u think that u r vip?  they just look on the massive reaction then make your own decision and changes.🤣

I never said that, though. 

1 minute ago, Maxi said:

#REVERTPATCH

Having said that EA is a period of testing, change and iteration, I do tend to agree that EA changes which reduce players ability to test and try new things instead of expanding it, especially this early in the process, seems a poor direction. I would think if anything, they would want players to be able to try as many different skills as possible, in order to get data and feedback on the skills themselves. A change like this only has one obvious useful purpose that I can see, to force greater player interdependance. That doesn't feel like it needs to be the top priority one week into EA imo.

How do low level players get off the starting islands now, with the level 8 cap??? You can't even get to make a raft without being unable to use metal tools. You have to sacrifice so much to be able to the slightest thing now.

17 minutes ago, Killchan said:

How do low level players get off the starting islands now, with the level 8 cap??? You can't even get to make a raft without being unable to use metal tools. You have to sacrifice so much to be able to the slightest thing now.

They removed the lvl 8 cap. But yeah with the new system its extremely hard for solo players to enjoy the game without being forced into a group. Which some people don't want, like myself and I bet there is thousands of other players who don't want to be stuck to huge companies to enjoy the game.

7 minutes ago, Bradley1928 said:

They removed the lvl 8 cap. But yeah with the new system its extremely hard for solo players to enjoy the game without being forced into a group. Which some people don't want, like myself and I bet there is thousands of other players who don't want to be stuck to huge companies to enjoy the game.

Oooof... They removed the skill cap? Wont it create a huge clusterf*ck in the freeports now when people are not really pushed to leave the island?

1 minute ago, Loni said:

Oooof... They removed the skill cap? Wont it create a huge clusterf*ck in the freeports now when people are not really pushed to leave the island?

Maybe but I'm very glad they did

I was an idiot and once I hit lvl 8 I respected to try and tame an animal. Little did I know I couldn't respect again and was stuck at lvl 8. I had to wait till someone was willing to let me sail with them to get off the island cause I couldn't make a boat.

Either allow unlimited respects upto lvl 8 or keep the cap off.

So, I actually created a forum account just to +1 and support a roll back of this change. With the depth of skills, the old 1 point per skill was sufficient. No one can be a do it all, yet they could at least do SOMETHING other than one verrrryyyy narrow thing.

7 hours ago, Maxi said:

This is stupid, this server died and came back to the patch...  Skill Points = ruined now, can't do nothing. 

PLEASE TURN IT BACK

Not going to happen. Not being rude but wildcard has never taken something out of their game and they have made worse choices. Won’t happen 

4 minutes ago, Realist said:

Not going to happen. Not being rude but wildcard has never taken something out of their game and they have made worse choices. Won’t happen 

No, but they have on a variety of occasions (Like this one) drastically overnerfed things, then slowly buffed them back into relevance. Such as the initial stat compression (THe original nerf made it better to farm with 100% melee and a stone pick then use an anky) or the flier nerfs (Where flying wyverns were, initially, slower then fleeing brontos or phiomias). 

This is another case of them simply not knowing how to balance the game, because they don't have any meaningful experience as players. 

I dont necessarily support a complete revamp of every skill taking 1 point to learn.. But this new system is definitely a bit much.

I understand where the skill tree idea came from with the Devs.. They seem to want every player to be able to specialize in one (1) tree, and branch out slightly into a second, which with a large tribe mentality could work, given all of your tribemates are online all the time to provide you with whatever you need when you need it. (RIP to the poor bastard who gets stuck with Artillery as his specialization). But limiting players to that one tree kills off any sort of solo or small tribe playability, when the solo's and small tribes already have a hell of a time doing anything because the game is practically asking for everyone to join a large zerg guild.

I would like to see a small revamp with a compromise. Maybe instead of limiting everyone to 1-2 trees, they give us enough skill points to specialize in 3-4 trees. Then, even with a small tribe, you can cover a wide enough spectrum to get some of the necessities and quality of life skills. Someone can be a home builder, ship builder, and work on some captaining and piracy, while another is a true blacksmith who works the gathered metal into both melee and ranged weapons, and provides armor. Etc etc.

Ultimately it would help the solo and small tribes out without breaking the massive tribes, because lets be honest. These mega tribes who run 50-100 people if not more... They've got everything covered by at least a handful of people anyway.. So all this would do is let that poor cannon-building buffoon spec into literally any other tree as well so that his existence is worthwhile.

Just my $0.02, I'm no Dev so I couldn't tell you all the in's and out's, but I too feel that some sort of skill change is necessary. We're too limited with this new version of it.

This skill change was a great step in the RIGHT direction...  Everyone should not be a master of everything!!!

This is an MMORPG and there needs to be an Economy, there needs to be player interaction or there with never be civilization!

We need profession's...  this was the first step towards professions now they need to add profession skill tree's that are NOT unlocked bye something before it.

but so far a GREAT STEP IN THE RIGHT direction!

This new skill is so fucked... this just empowers  Chinese even more... because Small groups are not gonna be able to put a dent into chinese armada.   or any big company.   They just said FK you.   Oh and some Crafting tree requires other trees to unlock.   WTF.   We need our multiple tree spec... because  if you have 12 peole that 36 skil tree.. but now its like 6 skill tree to use and you cant just wait for that one person to log on just to craft some good armors.  

The skill system change was the final nail in the coffin for me. I have lost all interest in playing this game further due to how limited character development is.

15 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

This skill change was a great step in the RIGHT direction...  Everyone should not be a master of everything!!!

This is an MMORPG and there needs to be an Economy, there needs to be player interaction or there with never be civilization!

We need profession's...  this was the first step towards professions now they need to add profession skill tree's that are NOT unlocked bye something before it.

I'd agree that you shouldn't be able to master everything. However the current system is drastic overkill. 

The problem is that the game has no mechanics to establish a trade based economy (no real way to sell items and services to other players) and interactions with other players are always problematic in open PVP games. Most MMOs don't have open PVP and have much easier ways to trade items between players. Most players will simply be forced into large companies, which will have no need to engage in any sort of trade/economy. The ones who are punished by the system will be solo and small group players. 

9 hours ago, Bradley1928 said:

Agreed. I tend to find most group leaders are a-holes I don't care to deal with. I'm not playing Atlas or any other game to be someone else's slave. I'm playing to play with my friends and that's it. If our group, which is 2-4 people depending on whos on, can't play at least PVE without relying on other players... we're not going to play at all.

39 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

Not when you need to spend 8 points for Advanced tools it isn't.  This morning I was self-sufficient in that at least I could make a Smithy and Metal tools and put a Water Barrel on my raft for rainwater  I was all ready to start Farming.  Now, out in the wilds, not so much.  I'm lucky I can at least make the small Storage Box.

Edited by Coggage

1 hour ago, Sulfurblade said:

As much as Atlas tries to be an MMORPG, it's still a build and survival game. MMORPG's also have a full combat structure in place, with professions being second. If I want to spec into any type of weaponry/armor in Atlas, is it fair that I can't put any points into building anything at all, which is the core of the game? Even before the skill point patch, it's not enough to even compare it to a normal MMORPG unless weaponry/armor was given for free with having to spec into it.

That being said as well, most MMORPG's allow people to play how they want either being solo or in a group/guild. You shouldn't need 10+ people to be able to progress in the game because you can hardly use any of the skill tree's.

For the people who are complaining that everyone is just crying about the change: People are strongly putting their thoughts about what they think of the changes, giving the dev's feedback regardless. 

Edited by PotatoBox

I can grok the concept of the change...but the severity, of some of the costs..

Beastcraft, 1 each for the basics... ok, after having to take hand to hand (2) to get Beastcraft (2),

Taming Proficient is 2, fine...   Riding 2 is a REQ for  Taming 2, Commands 2 & Breeding 2....costing 4 pts.  <smh>
  2 pts were great... , 3 ok... but 4?

Taming 2, Breeding 2, Commands 2 all 4 pts each.... <smh>
 Improved Taming (taming 3?) is only 4, Ride 3 is 8... ok i can  kind of see that, Natures touch is 4 ok...   

Havent worked  the numbers for pts/lvls to end, but offhand seems a Tier 1 - 1, Tier - 2, Tier 3 -4, Tier 4 -8 kind of thing would be more...inline

Grapeshot Games, please revert this asinine change to the skill point system immediately and focus on issues that matter, including land claiming, freeport bottlenecks, Damned ships, and general server stability / performance / bug fixes.

Doesn't have to go back to everything being 1 point but some of this stuff is out of control... 10 points for expert ballistic studies? So much for having a gun in my pirate game

I'M GOING TO POST IN THIS. the respec is awful you need to gain more points to fix this change i understand wanting a class based system but this is too far south

31 minutes ago, strawman said:

Doesn't have to go back to everything being 1 point but some of this stuff is out of control... 10 points for expert ballistic studies? So much for having a gun in my pirate game

Right I want cannons for my pirate ship lol can't even have cannons in a pirate game

I am a solo player, and will not be playing with others until release.  I dont want to be forced to seek others to craft or obtain vital items that I should be able to craft myself, even if it is with a lot of grinding, or time sink. The skill tree is terrible as it is. Raising the level cap may help, as well as reducing the cost slightly. I do not want to be forced into one path. I would like to specialize in two areas and dabble in one or two others.  So that I can continue playing as a solo player.