Sign in to follow this  
ATLAS

Redbeard's Journal #02: A Monumental Adventure Begins

It had been a week or so after that fateful night before I was ready to set off to sea. I had arranged for all of my personal belongings to be sold off, in exchange for some supplies and passage on a ship heading east. The ship would rendezvous in Nozetal with a local captain who was known to take any fare as long as the gold was right. With my itinerary set, the days could not go by fast enough, anxiously waiting to set course for the lands unknown depicted in the cryptic journal. 

We laid my brother's body to rest a couple days after I had discovered him dead, washed up on the shore. My boisterous brother had apparently made a name for himself in this small harbor town with nearly half the residents in attendance at his funeral. To somber the mood, his mates suggested a celebration in his honor and begrudgingly I obliged, on the terms it took place the night before I left. As much as I would enjoy a fitting send off for closest kin, I was still well aware that those that murdered Nathan could still be out there and would still be looking for the pages he died protecting.

The inn was full that night, filled with every sort of scallywag one could imagine. As I was packing my belongings in one of the rooms above, the windows laid open, a vent from the heat already rising from the festivities taking place below. Towards the end of the evening I made my way downstairs to make my appearances, anxious for this night to end so I could start my journey come sunrise. I took a seat at the bar with a few old crewmates and bided my time with half laughs and fake smiles, waiting for the opportunity to make some excuses to end the night early.

After about four or five half-baked, fully exaggerated stories and a sea shanty or two, I noticed my mug had run dry and was looking to the innkeep to top me up. However, as I lifted my glass to signal my predicament, I noticed he had much more pressing matters at hand. His eyes were fixed on the doorway, as if sizing up trouble as it entered the inn. As I peered over my shoulder through the crowded bar room, three figures in black cloaks made their way through the crowd and sat themselves at a table in the back corner. A chill went up my spine as I turned to face the bar and the empty mug in front of me, feeling their eyes burn a hole in my back. The room felt much hotter and as I gripped the pages of the journal tucked into my shirt, panic raced in my mind as sweat began to bead on my forehead. "You alright mate?" I thought the innkeeper shouted but all noises had become dull and unrecognizable as I wondered if I was about to share the same fate as my brother. 

"Oi, you're clean dry, let me fix that for ya!", he continued as he grabbed my mug. But I was no longer concerned with my thirst, for it seemed my demise was inevitable, draped in a black cloak a few yards away. Thoughts raced in my head, of my brother, the journal, and the dreams dashed before they started. Through pure instinct, my body urged me to run. Run as fast as I can to anywhere. Anywhere is better than here. Before my head could process, my hand was already on the bar turning myself to the door. Eyes fixed on the target, I plotted my route through the crowd and out the front door. I took a moment to glance at my pursuers and as our eyes met, a slam pierced through the fog of noise and shook me to attention.

I turned to the bar to see a frothy mug had been dropped at my place and a kind smile had returned with a solution to my woes.

"Take a swig and you'll be alright lad," he beckoned. Dazed, with the train of thought derailed, I grabbed the mug and took a hearty swig, half in hopes this ale would deliver me from this hellish situation. To my surprise, my salvation wasn't in the mug but under it. As I wiped my lips with my sleeve and looked to place the mug down again, in its place was a worn iron key. My eyes widened as I stared at it and when I finally looked up at the innkeep, he leaned and whispered, "You should get a bit of rest now. I think you'll find this room a little more comfortable."

As he leaned back and left to address the rest of the clientele, the pieces, once jumbled, were now set and I had hope. With my back to my potential assailants, I carefully tucked the key into my jacket and stood up from the bar. With one last swig, I finished my drink and then said my farewells. I left every coin on my person and carefully made my way back up the stairs. As I ascended, I took one last look across the room at the three in black, hoping to never see them again. I raced down the hallway past my room and used the key to enter the room next door. I slid into the room and quickly locked it shut. With my back against the door, I clutched the journal at my chest and let out a deep breath.

It was not long before I heard footsteps in the hallway. Nervously, I had placed myself up against the wall shared with my previous room and could hear, although muffled by the noise from below, as they made entry into my former quarters. They moved quickly, breaking down the door and quickly realizing I was no longer there. From the muffled shouts, they deduced I had left through the window that had been left open and sent one in search of me while the others stayed to search the room. The desperate snapping of wood and tearing of cloth was the only thing heard for the next few minutes as I sat in silence, occasionally startled when their carnage would fly across the room and slam into the shared wall. Thoroughly spent and unrewarded, the noise from the neighboring room subsided and finally, after some time, hurried footsteps rushed down the hallway to continue their search elsewhere.

They had not found me but I was not safe yet. I dared not sleep in fear of their return and sat quietly, in anticipation of the footsteps coming down the hall again. Paranoia began to creep in as every sound as the night went on drew closer to sounds of imminent danger. It was not long before I began pleading within myself for the sun to rise and to be away from this town. I needed to do something to keep the idle mind at bay. To keep myself from madness, I lit a candle on the floor and pulled out the journal. I hastily arranged the sea-soaked pages on the floor and began to decipher the next entry in the journal. 

As the words and phrases unraveled, I became more and more obsessed, losing my senses of the world around me. The findings Nathan died protecting would change the world forever and it was our fate to share them with the world. Possessed, I continued to scribble the entry into existence. The sky had changed to a lighter shade of blue and a peek of orange could be seen once I was done. In my amazement and relief, I read the words aloud, grateful to see another day. 

“I set sail to the Walfield Atol, an island reported to have Power Nodes located on it. As it appeared on the horizon, I could see an odd formation sticking out of the sand. It looked too straight to be a rock, but due to its size I couldn’t imagine what else it could be. As I sailed closer however, I realized it was carved! It was an immense statue. I could see the outline of the skull carved into stone, eyes glowing green in the late evening light. Dropping anchor, I jumped into the water and swam to shore. This statue had to be bigger than any I have seen in these waters before. Was this the structure that so many pathfinders have spoken of? I set off on foot towards the center of the island, where an Altar was rumored to be. 

Atlas Screenshot 2021.10.13 - 16.27.15.79-min (1).jpg

As I follow the river around a large rock formation I pass carved rock pillars. Similar to the totem statue that I passed earlier, but not as large.  Looking forward I see something that can only be described as a man made hill. It is a giant perfectly round… mound. The same skulls that were carved into the totem are all over it. I made my way to the top and almost fell face first into a pit. I’m sickened by what I see at the bottom. Several skeletons and rotting corpses are floating in a shallow pool of water. The smell of rotting flesh makes me fall back, slipping and rolling to the dirt. Shaken, I stand and rush past this Burial Mound hoping that that is the worst I find on this island. 

Atlas Screenshot 2021.10.14 - 15.31.39.34-min.jpg

Finally, I found the Altar that I’m looking for. Cursed Pirates are everywhere, so I am hiding in a bush. Watching the pirates I notice that they are carrying large chunks of stone and wood around another huge boulder. I sneak around and sink back onto my knees. They have built what looks like a temple. There must be several rooms inside, as I watch at least fifty pirates enter the structure with full loads, but leave empty handed. Do I dare try to sneak inside? 

Atlas Screenshot 2021.10.14 - 15.08.28.69-min.jpg

I didn’t bring enough grog for that. I hurry back to my Sloop and set sail for the nearest freeport.”

I sat back in awe. These altars, these monuments, could etch our names in history! Not only that, I finally had a destination. Walfield Atol, I had never heard of it, but it was start. I frantically gathered what was left of my things and raced to the harbor. I sprinted through the streets, half-delirious, half-jubilant, shedding tears to my good fortune. And as the anchor raised from my vessel and the harbor slowly shrank into the distance, peace had finally set in. The doors were all shut. But miraculously, I had been given a key, and now, wonders untold await me. Exhausted, I went into the hold for some much needed rest. I grabbed whatever I could find and made a bed on a few crates. And there I slept, dreams reignited, swathed in a long black cloak.

:anchor: Major Announcement :anchor:

We hope you are enjoying our continuing narrative building up to our next major patch! We'd like to announce today that we have a set date for the new update, October 27th. With this update, we will be having a full wipe of all servers. We can't wait to show you what is next for Atlas so stay tuned for more details!

:anchor: Final Note :anchor:

Again, we would like to emphasize that ATLAS is still in Early Access, meaning many things can and will likely continue to drastically change - even in the middle of development. Anything discussed is only up to date as of the moment it is posted. Features and changes that ultimately make it to the next patch, as well as timing, may be different from what was previously discussed. 
As always, we appreciate the suggestions and feedback from the community. Please keep them coming! Thank you for all of your support! 🙂

fl_ZgyH5wE30VU-U10VxmagA8KjI-zUAmPmJ6zf3

Happy Sailing,

- ATLAS Crew

:skull: For the latest dispatch on #playATLAS keep yer one good eye trained on this here information :skull:

Natter n' chatter on Discord: https://discord.gg/playatlas

Hear ye, hear ye on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sailtheatlas

Watch us scallywags on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/sailtheatlas

Plus ye can band with us Pirates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playatlasgame

View full article

If only these guys spent as much time actually coding instead of writing stories there might be a good patch. 

It needs to be said that the update was supposed to be in the summer not late October, so this actually better be a good update. However, even if it is a good update there is no reason to celebrate because it was actually multiple months over due so it wouldn’t be a great achievement in the first place.

just saying

Not gonna lie, its a pretty decent troll. 

Release event for Haloween, get people to run around for a few weeks collecting skins etc.

Wipe the servers just before Haloween lol

Epic!

Final Note: 3 years of EA, behave yourself.

I know that asking these Devs to do what should be done is much to much to ask...however...PLEASE...to make a wipe really worth it at the end of the day...
1. FIX the resource drops| (Let a strawberry BE a strawberry!) This is only 1 day's work for 1 person!
2. FIX the market system
3. FIX the stone figure head for ships
4. FIX the bug that a Gally can suddenly freeze in the middle of the ocean as if it is on a sandbank.
5. FIX the galleon so that it can anchor in deeper waters
6. FIX the crew and tames that they stay where thet are on a ship and not skiing behind the ship
7. FIX the reversing speed of ships and make them faster
8. FIX the snaps of roofs to walls and ceilings
9. FIX the shops that they do not sink into the water and cannot be accessed|
10. FIX the images of the paints in the grill
11. REDUCE the area for warehouses, farmhouses, mines etc. and IF you own a piece of a lawless island, you will be able to add at least 1 of these in the claimed area.
12. ENFORCE your rules! No land or sea spamming with foundations and gate supports.
13. FIX the lifts so that one doe4s not fall through the floor
14. Look at the possibility of a NPC repairing a ship when it is sailing
15. INCREASE the number of runs on a mythical bluepriint for ship parts and let them drop more frequently.
16. Bring back the laughing NPC's...with an option to either have them laugh or not.
17. STOP others from the ability of switiching off the collections of farmhouses etc.
18. Brintg in more quests
19. Increase the building limits on ships
20. Let ships be claimable after x number of days of no use
21. Let one hand over a claim flag for a full island to someone without having to go through the stress of others intervening and grabbing it. Increase4 the number of islands with the old claim flag sytstem and reduce the terrible lawless tower system by half...
22. Bring in more items to make one's house more beautiful.
23. FIX the alliance syatem.
24. Show positions of company and/or allied players on the map.
25. FIX the spear launcher with harpoons...shoot one and wait for ever to reload.

And finally, please please please listen to the players! There are many good suggestions out there ! Maybe, let the private servers have the FULL grid because there is much more positive development going on out there 😛 but one is scared to invest valuable time on them because they won't be there the next day.

So hold on... a new team comes in and says that PvE is dead and that PvP will be the main focus. You said PvE will basically be put to maintenance mode. Now you have a focus towards PvE again after the numbers fall. Is this the marketing then to bring back the Masses!? How about a Twitch Dev stream, that way you can at least give us proper information.

20 minutes ago, TridentSpoon said:

So hold on... a new team comes in and says that PvE is dead and that PvP will be the main focus. You said PvE will basically be put to maintenance mode. Now you have a focus towards PvE again after the numbers fall. Is this the marketing then to bring back the Masses!? How about a Twitch Dev stream, that way you can at least give us proper information.

They have not gone on record saying anything about this being a PvE focus change yet.... I truly hope it is BUT I have been around long enough to not jump to any conclusion.

The only thing they said was a "Monumental new Adventure Begins"... Sea of Thieves did just that with a big Pirates of the Caribbean crossover/tie-in adventure and nothing about that game has changed to a PvE focus. I wouldn't believe they have changed their minds or direction at all.... the poor quality modular ships are still being churned out and there is, very sadly, no communication at all to prove they are really listening to the community or bothering to change the course they have already clearly stated. 

I honestly hope I am wrong. Atlas has the greatest potential of any sandbox I have ever played. It feels really bad to see all the potential just being pissed away.

Still I will wait, watch and try what they release till it truly sinks to bottom of the seas...

got bored of this game i like pvp but pve is also fun but not in this game 

ive moved on again untill they get that theres more pver`s out there 

than they think

Overall I agree that this game has a lot of issues, many of which seem like simple fixes. I think @Nutty Grandadhas a more than fair list but I'm still really excited to get back onto the game again. Sad to lose what we have but excited for the opportunity to stake a good piece of land. With regard to PvE and PvP I strongly think that abandoning PvE in any facet is a major mistake. One of the most unique things that only PvE truly offers is a self sustaining economy; I don't thin any other game I've played matches it.

I would however, like to add a wish list for content improvements, which can hopefully be added in conjunction with the fixes. Hoping a dev reads this and takes it seriously because I really think this game could be so good (again assuming it does end up functioning logically and properly). The more simple decorative things we have to make each building unique, the more legitimate towns and cities you'll see pop up.

1) Various styles for the thatch, wood, and stone (walls, doors, floors, roofs, all of it) and PLEASE ADD GLASS especially for better windows. Wood is probably the easiest to explain. The current style is almost Bavarian. Add a log cabin style, a vertical plank style, etc etc. Also iron bars and doors for creating more realistic prisons.

2) Add a new style pillar that's bulkier and operates as they do in Ark. Those bulkier pillars always added a great way to accent builds and if you could naturally snap them to corners (As you should be able to with the current pillar style as well) they would be much more aesthetic for docks and canopies

3) Fireplaces and bon fires like in Ark were great adds

4) Tannery, apiaries, etc

5) Clutter Items - Hay bales, Boxes, Fishing Racks, 

6) Water Towers and water troughs for animals

7) Grain silos that are much larger than the current crew silos, specifically designed for exceptionally lengthy storage for fruits and vegetables

8) Pleaseeee improve the farming system. All I mean is please stop making us plant into those stupid little planter boxes. I would love to see actual farms being built where maybe the land has to be tilled and seeds planted into the ground. 

9) Better signage. Just more fonts and font sizes along with new sign options (hanging banners, wall banners, etc

10) Add street lamps that function just like wall torches but provide a far more aesthetic option for builds

11) Bring in bonemeal fertilizer for regrowing destroyed fauna and when selected it should show you what is going to grow and where. 

12) Add buildable bushes, hedges, decorative trees / flowerbeds etc

13) Allow more ground clipping. Building on hills can be really cool but the major issues this game has with even placing foundations through uneven terrain looks so dumb sometimes (gaps and holes versus the building being flush with the ground)

14) Different lighthouse options. I LOVE the lighthouse to signify where a settlement is, but we really should have some smaller options

15) FURNITURE - Couches, benches, more chairs, more tables, cabinets, indoor sinks for limitless water taps instead of throwing water barrels everywhere (they should only be needed on ships), bedroom style dressers and tables, vases, indoor lighting options, bars and bar stools, rugs / carpets (Can even add versions for animals that you've slain like bears for example), different beds (Make larger options that could act like 2 beds for spawning but cost more materials)

16) Bars / Restaurants - Allow for creatable dishes, cups, and plates when placed in hanging cabinets and racks have a visual aspect to them and can be placed on tables they looks like place settings and if you have guests / customers you can place food or drink in them which can be interacted with rather than tossing a parcel on the ground

17) More fence gate options. Particularly for farms. I would love to have certain farm animals on roam and have them not glitch through the fencing but also be able to pass through various gates

18) Water features. Possibly pools and fountains.

19) I would love for there to be a way to create dirt roads but I honestly don't have an easy suggestion for this

20) More basic clothing skins; bard, bartender, farmer, etc

21) Perch bars (for birds to be placed on), hitching posts that animals like horses and be tied to

22) ITEM STORAGE - Mannequins and weapon racks / display cases that you can place various clothing, armor, weapons, and tools for display would make for a great addition to any settlement AND allow a player to actually view the painting and customizations they may apply.

New Animals;

1) Add a great white shark variation of shark. Even if its just a reskin of half of the current hammerhead style I think it'd be a nice add (NOT tameable)

2) Eagles - Larger than vultures but still a shoulder pet. Ability would be for the player to see what they see while flying short distances. Sort of like a lookout. Also able to highlight tamed animals within a certain range that may have gotten lost.

3) Domesticated Dogs - A few variants (Husky, labrador, golden retriever, blood hound, collie, etc). Ability would be increased happiness within a certain range which dramatically reduces food, water, and vitamin depletion

4) Polar Bears - Larger, slower, and naturally aggressive in comparison to current bears but they have higher damage dealings and in warmer climates they eat (and drink should you take that suggestion above) more often

5) Pigs - Smaller than the current warthogs. They're primary use is that they produce more meat when slaughtered than comparable animals

6) Donkeys - Slower than horses and a bit smaller but naturally have exceptional carry weight with worse stamina

7) Ducks - Similar to chickens but they can swim and their eggs can be used in new recipes

8) Bison - Similar to bear and rhino they take a while to get running at a decent speed and inflict a heavy damage ram attack but are generally passive. Like cow and bulls they produce prime meat but also a lot of wool.

9) Goats - Flocks of 3 or more goats and sheep combine to make crops grow faster within a certain range

10) Leopards - A bit smaller than lions and tigers but capable of climbing trees and other wood structures

I just really hope the patch fixes my single player saving issues on Xbox X. I enjoy playing online but I am a very casual player and single player is probably better for me, which won't load my saves so it is useless right now.

Bonne nouvelle,

🤞

J'espère que cette mise à jour sera "monumentale" et qu'elle apportera des modifications utiles et souhaitées comme

• Des factions pour permettre aux joueurs solo de s'en sortir
  • un peu plus de PVE avec des events et pourquoi pas donjons
  • de l'activité en mer
  • etc...

Sinon j'adore le jeu. 

Longue vie 

On 10/18/2021 at 9:11 AM, Iceman 918 said:

Overall I agree that this game has a lot of issues, many of which seem like simple fixes. I think @Nutty Grandadhas a more than fair list but I'm still really excited to get back onto the game again. Sad to lose what we have but excited for the opportunity to stake a good piece of land. With regard to PvE and PvP I strongly think that abandoning PvE in any facet is a major mistake. One of the most unique things that only PvE truly offers is a self sustaining economy; I don't thin any other game I've played matches it.

I would however, like to add a wish list for content improvements, which can hopefully be added in conjunction with the fixes. Hoping a dev reads this and takes it seriously because I really think this game could be so good (again assuming it does end up functioning logically and properly). The more simple decorative things we have to make each building unique, the more legitimate towns and cities you'll see pop up.

1) Various styles for the thatch, wood, and stone (walls, doors, floors, roofs, all of it) and PLEASE ADD GLASS especially for better windows. Wood is probably the easiest to explain. The current style is almost Bavarian. Add a log cabin style, a vertical plank style, etc etc. Also iron bars and doors for creating more realistic prisons.

2) Add a new style pillar that's bulkier and operates as they do in Ark. Those bulkier pillars always added a great way to accent builds and if you could naturally snap them to corners (As you should be able to with the current pillar style as well) they would be much more aesthetic for docks and canopies

3) Fireplaces and bon fires like in Ark were great adds

4) Tannery, apiaries, etc

5) Clutter Items - Hay bales, Boxes, Fishing Racks, 

6) Water Towers and water troughs for animals

7) Grain silos that are much larger than the current crew silos, specifically designed for exceptionally lengthy storage for fruits and vegetables

😎 Pleaseeee improve the farming system. All I mean is please stop making us plant into those stupid little planter boxes. I would love to see actual farms being built where maybe the land has to be tilled and seeds planted into the ground. 

9) Better signage. Just more fonts and font sizes along with new sign options (hanging banners, wall banners, etc

10) Add street lamps that function just like wall torches but provide a far more aesthetic option for builds

11) Bring in bonemeal fertilizer for regrowing destroyed fauna and when selected it should show you what is going to grow and where. 

12) Add buildable bushes, hedges, decorative trees / flowerbeds etc

13) Allow more ground clipping. Building on hills can be really cool but the major issues this game has with even placing foundations through uneven terrain looks so dumb sometimes (gaps and holes versus the building being flush with the ground)

14) Different lighthouse options. I LOVE the lighthouse to signify where a settlement is, but we really should have some smaller options

15) FURNITURE - Couches, benches, more chairs, more tables, cabinets, indoor sinks for limitless water taps instead of throwing water barrels everywhere (they should only be needed on ships), bedroom style dressers and tables, vases, indoor lighting options, bars and bar stools, rugs / carpets (Can even add versions for animals that you've slain like bears for example), different beds (Make larger options that could act like 2 beds for spawning but cost more materials)

16) Bars / Restaurants - Allow for creatable dishes, cups, and plates when placed in hanging cabinets and racks have a visual aspect to them and can be placed on tables they looks like place settings and if you have guests / customers you can place food or drink in them which can be interacted with rather than tossing a parcel on the ground

17) More fence gate options. Particularly for farms. I would love to have certain farm animals on roam and have them not glitch through the fencing but also be able to pass through various gates

18) Water features. Possibly pools and fountains.

19) I would love for there to be a way to create dirt roads but I honestly don't have an easy suggestion for this

20) More basic clothing skins; bard, bartender, farmer, etc

21) Perch bars (for birds to be placed on), hitching posts that animals like horses and be tied to

22) ITEM STORAGE - Mannequins and weapon racks / display cases that you can place various clothing, armor, weapons, and tools for display would make for a great addition to any settlement AND allow a player to actually view the painting and customizations they may apply.

New Animals;

1) Add a great white shark variation of shark. Even if its just a reskin of half of the current hammerhead style I think it'd be a nice add (NOT tameable)

2) Eagles - Larger than vultures but still a shoulder pet. Ability would be for the player to see what they see while flying short distances. Sort of like a lookout. Also able to highlight tamed animals within a certain range that may have gotten lost.

3) Domesticated Dogs - A few variants (Husky, labrador, golden retriever, blood hound, collie, etc). Ability would be increased happiness within a certain range which dramatically reduces food, water, and vitamin depletion

4) Polar Bears - Larger, slower, and naturally aggressive in comparison to current bears but they have higher damage dealings and in warmer climates they eat (and drink should you take that suggestion above) more often

5) Pigs - Smaller than the current warthogs. They're primary use is that they produce more meat when slaughtered than comparable animals

6) Donkeys - Slower than horses and a bit smaller but naturally have exceptional carry weight with worse stamina

7) Ducks - Similar to chickens but they can swim and their eggs can be used in new recipes

😎 Bison - Similar to bear and rhino they take a while to get running at a decent speed and inflict a heavy damage ram attack but are generally passive. Like cow and bulls they produce prime meat but also a lot of wool.

9) Goats - Flocks of 3 or more goats and sheep combine to make crops grow faster within a certain range

10) Leopards - A bit smaller than lions and tigers but capable of climbing trees and other wood structures

Brain dead devs - brain dead community. You full PvE... Go KYS

If there will be some map changes, I hope they do some beta-tests so we could at least get along with changes and check for spots to settle...