Tezcatlipoca

Weather system

1. Fog

The fog is just annoying. Even in Ark that was a feature that hardly anyone really wanted. The game does not really get any harder on that either, it just wastes more time at best because you're just waiting for it to be over.

In a seafaring game I'll let it go, but the game will definitely not get any better. It remains an annoying style feature.

2. Cold front

Not that you have to rest after the fog for a while ... No, you fall from one effect to the next or they even overlap. So it is not uncommon for the cold front to obstruct the view again after the fog, because the clouds reach down to the ground. What's the crap?

I want to sail and do not need a bad weather simulator. Sometimes I also have the impression that there is no normal day without any annoying effects in Atlas. Please try to find a healthy mediocrity and not constantly harass the player with totally overdrawn features. There are some really good approaches that are so overrun that they do the opposite of what they could. To offer the player a varied and entertaining game world.

3. Tornados

You just do not want to, or you just can not? With the last change, I thought we could finally get it right now. The technical implementation is really bad. Now I have storms where the boat is turned for no apparent reason (the tornado is obviously just hidden and the damage disabled), or 33% of the old wall of tornadoes.

Design suggestion:

a) Rain without tornado, without damage, without vortex that turns the ship

b) There are 50% Tornados with damage and whirlpool. There will then be rolled per Tornado, whether this really arises. There is a limit of max 3 tornadoes around the player to avoid this stupid wall of tornadoes.

4. Wind

The doldrum is still quite funny as Newbie, but if you are sent from Northwest to Southeast after a few weeks of playing, it just annoying. It's a waste of playing time. To have to cross against the wind is still acceptable, but the doldrums have so much entertainment value as dirty dishes.

I don’t know why people hate on fog this much. I really like it if it doesn’t glitch out. Looks great and it’s something different. Tornado stuff needs to be dealt with though, even though I never had problems with it, I can see that other people have. 

I like the wind situation, and as you upgrade your sails your ships start to be able to take advantage of more angles, so you have a form of progression there. Also the fog is annoying, but sailing should have some challenges. And looks great.

yes cyclones were a bad idea from the get go. especially with large number of SotD you have to constantly avoid most times. Do not forget the temperature fiasco 147F heat wave almost a daily basis and going from 147F to  below 50 F in a minute. The extreme high temp is a killer can not really do anything during the heat wave except to sit in water and watch your health slowly decline. Death Valley does not even get this hot much less on a daily basis. The high for death valley I believe was only 134F but the temp during the summer is about 115 during the day and 90 at night. Death Valley is a desert region not tropical region. Tropical regions are cooler than desert regions yet in this game tropical regions are the hottest regions.

Really the weather systems are not that bad, I like the fog, it brings somewhat more of a challenge at sea. There are things put into the game that make the weather system not that bad besides the cyclones, but hell you can ride them out or drive through them. Simple!

Not sure why there is so many complaints about the weather.

P.S. Okay I can agree that the Desert heat waves need a change, I live there and it is a bitch to deal with most of the time.

Edited by Ivah BlackWater
Hit post before my P.S. note

I should note that the effects are probably all tolerable and none of them are unplayable. It just annoying. Especially because one falls from one negative effect to the next. Too warm, too cold, no visibility, no wind, wind from the wrong direction, tornadoes ... It's always something you just do not want at all. I wonder if there is ever a full day in this game where you are not bothered by these effects.

I think the fog adds a nice element but occurs so frequently as to be unrealistic andannoying rather than a change of pace. I know of few if any places on earth that experience fog every day, yet this seems to be the case for most of Atlas so far as I can tell. It might be a good idea to dial back fog generally, perhaps letting it be a bit more frequent in certain areas, but still less frequent than the set your watch by it regularity seen now. I expect this is the normal sort of fine tuning seen as we progress through EA.

Turning down the frequency of cyclones during rain but upping the damage was a good move in the right direction, but further fine tuning could be used. Since cyclones rarely appear in groups like women going to the restroom in public, perhaps make them more often be like guys, solo with the occasional rush during halftime.

Heat waves I will decline to comment on much since I live in the tundra and heat waves there mean t shirt weather.  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Turning down the frequency of cyclones during rain but upping the damage was a good move in the right direction, but further fine tuning could be used. Since cyclones rarely appear in groups like women going to the restroom in public, perhaps make them more often be like guys, solo with the occasional rush during halftime

^ HAHAHA!!

Seasons would be interesting.  A few game days of 'Winter' where it was generally colder, with occasional cold snaps.  A few days of 'Summer' where it is generally warmer and clearer, with occasional heat waves.  I like the fog - makes things pretty challenging.  We almost ran into our own dock coming in too fast the other night.  Having all of the extremes in one day is a bit much.  Side note - Whenever our group decides to head out on an adventure, it rains right when we are ready to go.  4 of 5 times this happens!  We just hole up, and gather resources until it stops, then head out.  Can be really annoying, and the amount of tornadoes needs to be cut down.  Maybe make them larger so you really have to go off course to avoid them, but not 5-8 spawning on top of you.

I personally love the fog especially when the wind dies and night rolls in. The faint glow of the ships of the dammed are scary. Bring much need excitement to sailing and I'm not being sarcastic.

1 minute ago, Notorious said:

I personally love the fog especially when the wind dies and night rolls in. The faint glow of the ships of the dammed are scary. Bring much need excitement to sailing and I'm not being sarcastic.

Yes, got to agree, it is much more exciting, but most of us (well at least me) are sailing not for the sailing, but to actually go somewhere. The fog does nothing to help get me where I'm headed and is just a waste of time for me.

Imagine if our sail from X2 to X8 would be a 3 hours of "autopilot" straight line sailing?

We will die of boredom then, right?

So there must be something in sea. There must be some challenge. And weather - is part of it's challenge. At least that HOW IT SHOULD BE. 

But before IT HAPPEN - amount of SotD's should be dramatically decrease somehow. Right now the situation is just stupid. I did a lot of traveling lately. And situation like that. For past months I met in a ocean:

- 15 players ships.

- 1 trade ship (i met it just once since EA started).

- 5000 damned ships...

(digits are not exact but I just wanna show the situation like it is). So right now we have an ocean where only challenge is SotD's and everything else - is just addition to SotD's difficulty. Fog? Beware of SotD appears from it. Counterwind? Pay attention - how you avoid SotD. Rain with crazy winds? - Pay attention - how you avoid SotD's. Tornadoes? Caution - SotD can appear from funnel. Coldwave? You might been killed by SotD's while you warming inside your boat. ETC.

I would feel fine if there would be many of them around Golden Age (after all ppl do need a place where they can farm them). But in the rest of ocean. NOT. Just few per server. And then - another challenge must come out. And I say it once more. The weather itself must be part of this challenge.

FOG - must require for you to slow down for some purpose. Maybe to avoid some random trash in a sea. Coral reefs. Random heavy seaweeds zones. Random icebergs in polar regions. Maybe some friendly ships.

Storms must damage fully open sails. Rarely lightning strikes to masts (oh I wish there would be a st. Elmo's fire before storm!)

Tornadoes... well my brother came up with Idea so there must be a just one huge scary and deadly funnel. You must be able to avoid it but if you hit it - your next destination is a closest island for general repair of your ship.

Rains - must make sails wet and heavy.

Snows - ice whole ship and sails.

I'm sure everyone can come up with a lot of ideas about weather challenge (there must be something more in open waters as well).

And yeah... the wind. Right now it just the same through whole world and it slowly rotates it's direction clockwise. So I you unlucky and start you travel with counter wind - you'll deal with it. I wish it would be more random and there would be a steady wind for some times - not rotating.

7 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I know of few if any places on earth that experience fog every day, yet this seems to be the case for most of Atlas so far as I can tell.

Ireland - "If you wake up in the mornin' and ya can see the hills of Donegal, it's gonna rain. If you wake up in the mornin' and ya can't see the hills of Donegal, it tis rainin."

Just substitute your tundra island for Donegal and you'll be accurate.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

2 hours ago, Notorious said:

Yes, I found it very realistic and exciting when in a thick fog I THOUGHT I knew where I was going and ended up smashing into a mountain with my schooner.

*that was sarcasm but I do think the fog needs to stay*

Edited by Jean Lafitte

1 minute ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Ireland - "If you wake up in the mornin' and ya can see the hills of Donegal, it's gonna rain. If you wake up in the mornin' and ya can't see the hills of Donegal, it tis rainin."

Just substitute your tundra island for Donegal and you'll be accurate.

I guess this means i’ll have to develop a drinking problem.

*sighs*

I quit drinking heavily cause I got tired of waking up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my @$$.

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I guess this means i’ll have to develop a drinking problem.

*sighs*

I quit drinking heavily cause I got tired of waking up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my @$$.

Aye! A few pints of Guinness and ye won't give a damn what yer wearin or even feel those keys.  And if ye do, have another pint.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

I keep posting about the weather in hopes they eventually read about it.

I think the fog is fine, and the weather in general. They just need to add levels of intensity as in real life there are severe/extreme weather periodically, sometimes a lot in short spurts but on the whole weather is usually pretty much in the normal zone and sometimes it's really light.

DENSE, Heavy, normal, light fog.

Drizzle/Mist, Light rain, Rain, Heavy rain, Thunderstorm, Severe thunderstorm (sometimes with tornadoes/waterspouts), Tropical Depression/Storm, Hurricane.

Blizzard, Heavy snow, snow, light snow, flurries.

"polar voretx" extreme cold, cold snap, normal day of cold. Wind should factor into this some. If its 0C and the wind is blowing like hell it ought to be colder maybe into the cold snap. If its -20 and the wind is blowing it ought to be into the extreme cold. On the other hand if its 0C and not windy it should just be normal cold.

This same situation goes the other direction for heat. Wind should make it not as bad out. Could throw in a humidity and dewpoint factor in there too those can make a hot day with the mugginess so much worse especially if the wind is stale.

Also for the desert regions you can periodically have a sandstorm and also have very periodic extreme rain evens and sometimes just have dry thunderstorms. 

I would love to see them really expand on and get creative with the weather events on all the islands and add a lot more variety. Currently its EXTREME to normal to EXTREME. The extremes are very frequent. Sometimes I get a heat wave and a cold snap at the same time and both negatively affect me. 

Here's to hoping one of the devs see's this and picks it up.

I had cold front, fog and rain/cyclones the same time. Sometimes cold front and heatwave the same time as well.

Edited by Shintai

I'm fine with the fog, cold is managable with fires/fur, but heat could be toned done a bit, or give us better cloths to deal with it, but my biggest weather gripe is the amount of cyclones. Sure, brig down they are fairly easy to avoid, but in a galleon not so much. The first storm I went through in our galleon (also our maiden voyage with it) after the damage increase we hit 3 or 4 cyclones, then had to stop for half an hour to repair and then replenish our resource box because it blew through 4k wood, thatch and fiber.