Sign in to follow this  
Kibagichi

A little clarification please.

Can someone please explain to me why it's a good idea to demolish someone else's boat if they've been offline for x amount of time? I find it stupid that I have to level a boat, stop playing for a while because of work and life, then come back to find my boat's gone. 

• Like 1

That x amount of time is 3 weeks. That's a pretty generous amount of time.

It's designed to stop the pile up of abandoned ships everywhere. If they never auto-decay then it would get very messy and would also impact server performance.

All one has to do is log on and step foot on each ship once every 3 weeks. If you cannot log on for a few minutes once every 3 weeks then that is unfortunate.

• Like 1

Because shores were crowded with boats at one time and because there could be a boat sat in the waters outside your base, blocking access, for months.

Hmmm...are you on pvp or pve? Pvp the whole point is blowing up other people's stuff. Some games limit it to online interactions, this one does not. In PVE people use boats to grief others, blocking points of access, parking boats with pre-planned names to send messages or trigger. The only way someone can demolish someone elses boat is if they leave it unanchored. The game itself removes structures once they are past 10 days automatically without a login by the owner, and boats are 3-4 weeks depending on server. If someone is obviously griefing you, take a screenshot and include that file in a ticket to CS. Don't post info here, they really don't like the whole name and shame thing, and you may find yourself on the opposite end of moderator action than you had planned.

On 7/6/2019 at 7:10 AM, Kibagichi said:

Can someone please explain to me why it's a good idea to demolish someone else's boat if they've been offline for x amount of time? I find it stupid that I have to level a boat, stop playing for a while because of work and life, then come back to find my boat's gone. 

Because there's no way of knowing if you're offline for 2 weeks or 2 years.. Could do with a mothballing system for players leaving the game, where ships etc get put into stasis out of the environment for a set period of time.  If no login, then get deleted. That'd make the game abit fairer to very casual players or people on extending holidays/work etc.

Edited by Martyn

Well I have 2 ships near me, they have been there for longer than 3 weeks and I know for a fact they haven't moved at all.

This mean you only have to spawn on the bed by the looks of it, i've not seen the anchor go up at all and I was on for hours most days. I don't think you should be allowed to just spawn on your bed to keep the ships. I understand people have work life but spawning on your ship once every 3 weeks is ridiculous.

Someone can park ships right across you and all they would have to do is spawn on it in 3 weeks time and then resets for another 3 weeks. The system is flawed unfortunately, it should be tied in with your nearest structure to the ship so when the timer goes down to demolish your ship either counts down on another timer or goes along with the structure.

The company near me has gone, yet their ships have remained for over 3 weeks, doesn't sound right to me. I've since left PvE so makes no difference to me now but for other people I don't think it should stay this way.

Sail out of render distance and back in if you think it is due to demo.  I've been to several islands around N1 - N8 and there's alot of player ship wrecks.  Where a few days ago, there were alot of player ships.  Maybe it's my entering render distance that is triggering it? Dunno.  Also had a brig outside my house for 2-3 weeks, it's also gone now.   Dunno if guy moved it or it demo'd tho. Just glad it's gone.

Edited by Martyn

On 7/6/2019 at 9:07 AM, Coggage said:

Because shores were crowded with boats at one time and because there could be a boat sat in the waters outside your base, blocking access, for months.

Well that won't be a problem any more in the not too distant future.

The pitiful handful of people still playing the game can't possibly build so many ships.

Maybe even in the shitfest that is known as PvP, there could be at least a few boats surviving for more than a day just because nobody found them yet.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:05 AM, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

That x amount of time is 3 weeks. That's a pretty generous amount of time.

It's designed to stop the pile up of abandoned ships everywhere. If they never auto-decay then it would get very messy and would also impact server performance.

All one has to do is log on and step foot on each ship once every 3 weeks. If you cannot log on for a few minutes once every 3 weeks then that is unfortunate.

So you have to actually get on the boat? that's stupid. I at least log in a few times a week just to feed the few tames that I have. I thought i just had to log in. it's not like anyone's even on the PVE servers anyway. 

I would suggest letting maybe not individual players, but maybe companies or something select 1 boat that's the primary or main boat and make it no indestructible, but maybe not decay or whatever for an extended period of time. I hate coming back to this game, making a boat and then have it disappear because i couldnt get on for whatever reason.

13 minutes ago, Kibagichi said:

So you have to actually get on the boat? that's stupid. I at least log in a few times a week just to feed the few tames that I have. I thought i just had to log in. it's not like anyone's even on the PVE servers anyway. 

Its not stupid its necessary. You haven't seen a golden ruins shores lined with 100's of abandon ships of all sizes have you? That means its working.

Edited by Nari
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nari said:

Its not stupid its necessary. You haven't seen a golden ruins shores lined with 100's of abandon ships of all sizes have you? That means its working.

I can second this. You might find the existing mechanic mildly annoying. It is vastly preferable to what existed without it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kibagichi said:

All you need to do when you log on is fast travel to each bed on each ship. Doesn't take long unless you have many many ships. It may seem stupid, but it is very much needed.

And yes there are plenty of people playing on PvE servers, it's not like there is many more on PvP servers.

On 7/6/2019 at 8:10 AM, Kibagichi said:

I think you never played pre wipe, when hundreds of boat was blocking everywhere.

• Like 1

Well today I logged on to find 2 of my boats removed,i'm a company with barely any members but I log in every other day,and I used to re-anchor ships every two weeks.I don't care that they added the new decay times but  shouldn't it start from when they add it? or change it.I last logged in monday,and my boats which are 2 sloops and 2 schooners were parked literally outside my base as tight together as I could get,now my 2 schooners are gone today.In a game where they want to promote sailing and encourage people to keep playing,then I don't think this new decay was well implemented.they could at least give players the information needed to avoid this happening,introducing a new rule without clarification is never a good idea.

On 7/10/2019 at 9:33 AM, Whitehawk said:

they could at least give players the information needed to avoid this happening,introducing a new rule without clarification is never a good idea.

Read the patch notes much?

- Inactive boats will now automatically destroy after 4 weeks of inactivity

yeh but what is inactivity?cos the only thing I didn't do was fast travel,I re-anchored them,moved them and boarded them,they are still gone.

Just now, Whitehawk said:

yeh but what is inactivity?cos the only thing I didn't do was fast travel,I re-anchored them,moved them and boarded them,they are still gone.

Did you board them within 3 weeks though?

Yes 2 weeks ago I re-anchored them,they both had dinghy docks,the dinghy's are still there though.

So what is their version of inactivity?anyone actually know?

In your case if you unanchored and reanchored I would submit a ticket.  Possible bug or they can clarify how this mechanic works and you can report it here.  This is how things get fixed.  Lodge an official complaint so they can officially look into it in an organized manner.  Random comments in the forums are very difficult to check up on. 

In my company this has not been a problem, but we also have quite a few more active members.   I hope they are able to investigate your issue and resolve it.  Which reminds me.  We still have a galleon stuck between zones.  @Jatheish was looking into it and has seemed to have forgotten.  😉  Its more of a company joke now than anything else. 

Edited by DocHolliday

well apparently i'm not the only one this has happened to in the last week,but what's more frustrating for me  is the fact that nobody actually knows how to reset the boat timer,I've heard people say you have to be in render range,or you have to re-anchor,or you have to fast travel to it.I just think it would be beneficial for players to know for sure.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 6:32 AM, Kibagichi said:

Wait, are you just logging in for upkeep because you are waiting for a miraculous change?

i mean I get why people said they were doing that kind of stuff when they didn’t know of the wipe was happening or not but I don’t see a very drastic change coming.

not being mean at all, just wondering why you are logging in to feed tames when there isn’t anything truly big(removal of claims) that is happening.

jAfnngq.jpg

ac70iIy.jpg

On 7/10/2019 at 12:09 PM, Puppies4ever said:

I think you never played pre wipe, when hundreds of boat was blocking everywhere.

Never forget the days before decay.

• Thanks 2

I can confirm that the decay timer on unused ship is buggy (which further confuses the communication on the topic).

On july 9 one of our ships in our harbors dissapeared. The log stated "was removed" for that ship and bed.
Nobody had been on the ship itself for only 14 days. The harbour and the other ships are used daily.
There was no wreck (as when the regular decay destroyes a ship).