Dragonchampion

Does anyone think that the islands that are meant for between 1-5 players are a bit too expensive? Does anyone have some gold-gathering tips?

Me and my 3 friends just got a decent-sized (35 points) island. I know about the settler system, but since the island is in the desert, no one wants to live there, so we're paying 200g (more tan the average green map per day) and we're having trouble with paying it. Does anyone have any advice? How do you guys get the gold and then get a backlog so you can focus on construction and taming instead of every day being a rush for maps, and then 2-3 hours to sail to do them and get back?

Does anyone have tips or advice on that front?

EDIT: We're on PvE. Thought I mentioned this but it seems I did not.

Edited by Dragonchampion

25 minutes ago, Dragonchampion said:

Me and my 3 friends just got a decent-sized (35 points) island. I know about the settler system, but since the island is in the desert, no one wants to live there, so we're paying 200g (more tan the average green map per day) and we're having trouble with paying it. Does anyone have any advice? How do you guys get the gold and then get a backlog so you can focus on construction and taming instead of every day being a rush for maps, and then 2-3 hours to sail to do them and get back?

Does anyone have tips or advice on that 

Why do you think small companies of 1-5 should own an island? Whole idea of landlord/tenants, taxes and upkeep would be for nothing if everyone should have the island.

Try bigger companies islands or just rich on resources islands. Settle there, pay taxes. You won't have to care about upkeep which will free you hands a bit, you will be protected (no randoms attack Settlements of big, strong companies). Just try it guys, you will see the game will be much more enjoyable for you. You pay taxes, owner has to farm gold, both sides need to work.

Btw i think its much much better to pay taxes on a rich island with all kinds of resources than having your own cheap Settlement poor on resources and struggle to maintain the island. 

It you want a place to live I can offer you pretty rich island, full of basic resources, shitloads of metal, 1 sector from golden ruins for farming sotd etc. We will be glad to have you there.

Edited by Willard

if nobody wants to live there i would just build on the important spots and pillar for more safety but not claim the island... so even if somebody claims the island they would have to remove all your foundations first and thats a job almost nobody wants to do...

maybe whale hunting?

Well, thanks Willard, but we feel that people of 5 or so size should have their own territory. Your island does sound tempting but the problem is, we're builders and designers. We don't want to build on an island where all our stuff can be wiped on the whims of an overlord.

Edited by Dragonchampion

9 minutes ago, Wichtelman said:

if nobody wants to live there i would just build on the important spots and pillar for more safety but not claim the island... so even if somebody claims the island they would have to remove all your foundations first and thats a job almost nobody wants to do...

maybe whale hunting?

Problem with unclaimed island is there is no protection from either raiding hours or owner of the island. You can be raided anytime by anyone. And ofc if someone wants to claim that island and he doesnt want anyone else on his island thats bad. Because he either fails or he wipes you completely.

well if you build there before they claim it they cant instant demolish... ya you can be raided anytime but u can protect yourself if you build on the right spots... so randoms even if they claim the island can not do much IF you do not store all your stuff on an open field...

7 minutes ago, Dragonchampion said:

Well, thanks Willard, but we feel that people of 5 or so size should have their own territory. Your island does sound tempting but the problem is, we're builders and designers. We don't want to build on an island where all our stuff can be wiped on the whims of an overlord.

Owner of the island can destroy your stuff only 24 hours after you build it. Then he would need to use normal firepower to do that just like every other enemy.

But ok, never mind. If you guys change your mind just write me 🙂

Edit: Oh you play on PvE. Ok. Then the owner has only 24 hours for destruction. After that he can't do nothing about your structures.

Edited by Willard
  • Thanks 1

How to make gold on a easy way:

Look for good treasuremaps 400...500g and more. Travel there (2...5 grids by fine or better maps) and collect every floating box 5.0 or higher in lvl and all the shipwrecks u spot on your way there and back. 

So we make around 2000g from the maps and another 1000...2000 from the way over and back.

Or u building a schooner or brig with around 4...8 ballistas on. Then go out for whalehunting. 1000...1500g in each whale u killed.

So u have to go out only every 3....7 days for farming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragonchampion said:

Does anyone have tips or advice on that front?

EDIT: We're on PvE. Thought I mentioned this but it seems I did not.

I am really not keen on the island gold upkeep in the first place. I am also confident that it will be removed or nerfed  by a high amount. Their whole landlord tenant idea has already failed pretty much. Just try to wait them out and they will do another rework 

Edited by Realist

Welcome back Dragon. Good to see your name here on the boards again.  My suggestion is while you are out scrambling to earn the gold needed to pay upkeep, actively market your island. It may be desert, but that doesn’t mean no one will live there, just that it’s less desirable for most players. Figure out what is marketable about your island and use that as your sales pitch. Main point is don’t assume that because passive ownership has garnered you no tenants so far, that you’ll never be able to get any. 

You have had some good suggestions and I’ll add mine as well, as others have said, the higher quality maps will offer more gold for your time, same with floatsam (use a spyglass to save time looking for the higher quality), if your in a desert region then you probably have salt, iron and other rare resources ( honey for example) pick up some and advertise as your sailing around.  Set your tax rate to 20%, it doesn’t affect other players but nets you 20% of all gold collected from people doing maps on your island.

In the area I’m in my neighbors and myself try to complete maps on each other’s islands and in turn it helps with the upkeep cost. Also more tenants that settle on your island will increase the amount of time needed for each upkeep cost to be met.

Just food for thought.

We are 3 players and we hold an 57er island. We are trading a lot + 2 people love to do treasure maps and farm "non-home" ressources. We have upkeep for over a month, just because of teamwork and working company members. All of us have a real life job and we play in the evening.

My company members boats comeback after 3-5 days with a lot of gold and i do mainly trading. It works as long you split your man power and act like a company.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Welcome back Dragon. Good to see your name here on the boards again.  My suggestion is while you are out scrambling to earn the gold needed to pay upkeep, actively market your island. It may be desert, but that doesn’t mean no one will live there, just that it’s less desirable for most players. Figure out what is marketable about your island and use that as your sales pitch. Main point is don’t assume that because passive ownership has garnered you no tenants so far, that you’ll never be able to get any. 

Thanks for the welcome back! And thanks for the advice, too. We have cooking herbs, rhinos, and giraffes, so that's what I've been trying to push for the advertisements.

4 hours ago, Puppies4ever said:

We are 3 players and we hold an 57er island. We are trading a lot + 2 people love to do treasure maps and farm "non-home" ressources. We have upkeep for over a month, just because of teamwork and working company members. All of us have a real life job and we play in the evening.

My company members boats comeback after 3-5 days with a lot of gold and i do mainly trading. It works as long you split your man power and act like a company.

Do you guys do green maps? What boats do you use? Any advice?

My money making scheme.  Tame bear.  Run circle around island picking up maps.  Do this for all islands in grid.  Go to grid next door where most of your maps are.  Do same there and do treasure maps.  Bring gold and those maps back home.  Do maps in your grid and grab new ones while doing it.  Rinse repeat.  I end up with more gold then I need which I donate to people/company. 

Sure the maps are low payouts....but when you have 10-15 of them on the same island it adds up quick.   We have a map spawn right outside our main base.  I did 4 of them a few nights ago and it paid out 600 gold for 10 minutes worth of killing and digging. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dragonchampion said:

Thanks for the welcome back! And thanks for the advice, too. We have cooking herbs, rhinos, and giraffes, so that's what I've been trying to push for the advertisements.

I gather all maps I see. When I have a couple good journeynan level maps, I'll plan a trip to hit those, and I'll grab any lower level maps I have for on the way. If the actual spot is hard to get to (on top of a cliff, inside someone's base) just ditch the map and move on; especially if it's lower quality. 

I use a speed schooner (lrg and sm speed sail) with a diving attachment to hit any shipwrecks along the way. Bring a bear or two...

Bears and grenades make short work of AotD. Usually, if I can't get to a treasure with my bear, I'll skip it unless it's a really high quality map. Spears have higher spike dmg than bows; so I bring a bunch in case I have to fight Warriors of the Damned so I can take them out before they regen their health.  Knowledge of the Damned and strong arm are a heavy skill investment, but it'll increase your bow and spear damage by 90% if you max them both.

All islands are cheap considering how much gold a solo player can farm from treasure maps and whales.

Edited by Vegetto

1 hour ago, Dragonchampion said:

If we have more maps for the same region then we do any maps green, blue or pink.

I usually travel to diff places to gather resources so I just grab all the treasure maps which are en route.

We use Schooner with Large and small speed sails, 1 guy sails the boat with 3 bears and maps, And others just spawn there do to treasure maps. 

The longest you'll have to travel for a map is 7 grids diagonally for 16+ quality map.

DON'T FORGET A SHOVEL.

Edited by Vegetto

11 hours ago, Realist said:

I am really not keen on the island gold upkeep in the first place. I am also confident that it will be removed or nerfed  by a high amount. Their whole landlord tenant idea has already failed pretty much. Just try to wait them out and they will do another rework 

You’re trolling us now? You want them to nerf something that is already doing 0 to the land owners? I want them to buff it 10x depending on crew and land points. This update was supposed to do something about closing the gap between large and small groups, now the gold cost is so damn low that paying it is the least of our concerns. Instead of deleting something because it is ‘unbalanced’ or anything like that shouldn’t be your first thought. It needs to be tweaked so large companies pay in between 2-5K per day per island and the smaller companies like OP pay the usual 200. The gold cost of 200 is actually pretty fine since (depends on your treasure runs) you can pay for 10-20 days (average) with just 1 treasure run. If the cost of me owning my own island means I need to do a treasure run every 15 days... 

Edited by Percieval

3 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

My money making scheme.  Tame bear.  Run circle around island picking up maps.  Do this for all islands in grid.  Go to grid next door where most of your maps are.  Do same there and do treasure maps.  Bring gold and those maps back home.  Do maps in your grid and grab new ones while doing it.  Rinse repeat.  I end up with more gold then I need which I donate to people/company. 

Sure the maps are low payouts....but when you have 10-15 of them on the same island it adds up quick.   We have a map spawn right outside our main base.  I did 4 of them a few nights ago and it paid out 600 gold for 10 minutes worth of killing and digging. 

Do this once a week and you will have plenty. The key is ALWAYS pick up maps, make a lap around your island every couple hours. When you have 6+ maps on one island the gold is easy to get. 

Every time you need to go somewhere, Freeport or w/e, do the best maps on the way. And choose a good map or two on the way back. I pick up all maps I see but only do the 250+ ones now cause I have plenty of gold and I’m lazy. 

If you can barely afford the island, then you can't afford ship crew or defenses. Re-evaluate your atlas life decisions. Join bigger company or get friends that farm gold better.

Edited by Bandit_Black

3 hours ago, Percieval said:

You’re trolling us now? You want them to nerf something that is already doing 0 to the land owners? I want them to buff it 10x depending on crew and land points. This update was supposed to do something about closing the gap between large and small groups, now the gold cost is so damn low that paying it is the least of our concerns. Instead of deleting something because it is ‘unbalanced’ or anything like that shouldn’t be your first thought. It needs to be tweaked so large companies pay in between 2-5K per day per island and the smaller companies like OP pay the usual 200. The gold cost of 200 is actually pretty fine since (depends on your treasure runs) you can pay for 10-20 days (average) with just 1 treasure run. If the cost of me owning my own island means I need to do a treasure run every 15 days... 

I established my opinion as far as the new claim system goes awhile ago. You have also known I prefer the build anywhere style because I have said that multiple times before. How am I trolling because I gave my opinion?

you really need to stop using that word, because you are not using it correctly.

nothing in my post was joking, insulting, or trying to get a rise out of anyone.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bandit_Black said:

If you can barely afford the island, then you can't afford ship crew or defenses. Re-evaluate your atlas life decisions. Join bigger company or get friends that farm gold better.

Sorry man. You said join bigger company. Kind of sucks that you are part of my crusade now. 10 man companies are what will happen.

that or the death of the game anyways. Sad to see the Megas and wannabe Megas ruin this game so much.

dont worry though. Changes are coming 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Realist said:

Ehhhhh what? System works. System is good. Dont know what your problem is xD

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Percieval said:

System actually works. I see islands where owners hold them since release and i saw islands where the owners changed from 3-4 days. I see islands, which are still unclaimed. The idea was, that everybody can get a piece of land and actually this is the case. You can life in peace and harmony together on a island 🙂

Pretty sure that most people get the upkeep from treasure maps. Maybe this system needs a look.

• Like 1