Jump to content

Ctrl-Alt-Rage

No Building Allowed Trolls

Recommended Posts

Our company found a nice little bay area on a PVE server that was currently claimed - but no one had built on it. 

I built up the base - perfectly fine with the 30% tax.  I invested hours and hours into building a pier and base for the bay area - only to have the land owners change the flag to "no one can build here" - leaving my base useless. I can't even add a door to a missing doorway. 

This is a terrible mechanic. If I claim land and let people build there - all I need to do is change the setting for them being unable to build and all of that work those players put into their base is for nothing. 

It really put a bad taste in my mouth for the game for the first time. Not because I "got rekt" by another company - but because of a poorly designed mechanic that can easily be exploited by A**holes. 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ctrl-Alt-Rage said:

Our company found a nice little bay area on a PVE server that was currently claimed - but no one had built on it. 

I built up the base - perfectly fine with the 30% tax.  I invested hours and hours into building a pier and base for the bay area - only to have the land owners change the flag to "no one can build here" - leaving my base useless. I can't even add a door to a missing doorway. 

This is a terrible mechanic. If I claim land and let people build there - all I need to do is change the setting for them being unable to build and all of that work those players put into their base is for nothing. 

It really put a bad taste in my mouth for the game for the first time. Not because I "got rekt" by another company - but because of a poorly designed mechanic that can easily be exploited by A**holes. 

Dude, the tax mechanic was very faulty to begin with. I commend you on being fine with laying the 30% and all but I don’t like the people that were charging.

not because you got screwed over but because we now fully know that wildcard is a very corrupt company even in game.

sorry you had to go through that and I am also sorry that it will NOT get any better. It will actually get worse and that is the truly sad part. I wish you the best of luck on your future gaming. If you still keep hope for atlas however, then after this it will be your own fault 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a landowner I can only agree. It´s so messed up in so many ways. Our tenants not only are our "virtual slaves" because we got here first. We can also remove anything they own within a few days.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game ist just troll heaven. Add this issue to the overencumbered chinese sinking ships on PVE with grappling hooks as entering ships to troll around is no longer possible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ctrl-Alt-Rage said:

Our company found a nice little bay area on a PVE server that was currently claimed - but no one had built on it. 

I built up the base - perfectly fine with the 30% tax.  I invested hours and hours into building a pier and base for the bay area - only to have the land owners change the flag to "no one can build here" - leaving my base useless. I can't even add a door to a missing doorway. 

This is a terrible mechanic. If I claim land and let people build there - all I need to do is change the setting for them being unable to build and all of that work those players put into their base is for nothing. 

It really put a bad taste in my mouth for the game for the first time. Not because I "got rekt" by another company - but because of a poorly designed mechanic that can easily be exploited by A**holes. 

maybe just maybe you should have asked in global chat first instead of just assuming they had left it neutral on purpose ? then moaning that they changed it 😕

Edited by UDO
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Various unofficial servers limit land claims. My current one has 1 claim/grid rule and they delete unused claims.

It is the same in ark pve. Official servers tolerate pillar spawn, but most unofficial ones don't.

Edited by kolpo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its funny because the devs spent quite a bit of time on the stream last week talking about how every change needs to be carefully thought out and ramifications considered... which seemed perfectly reasonable. Yet its impossible that much thought or testing has gone into most of the game mechanics unless the thought was "Gee, how can we piss off the player base the most?".
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Caduryn said:

People still Play on official….? 😱

Yes, because i lost more stuff to abusive admins than to crazy devs developing official servers for trolls only😂

Edited by Talono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Talono said:

Yes, because i lost more stuff to abusive admins than to crazy devs developing official servers for trolls only😂

With Things going on actually….. this sounds seriously impossible.

 

Or you have a really good way to chose insane bad Severs.... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Talono said:

Yes, because i lost more stuff to abusive admins than to crazy devs developing official servers for trolls only😂

Give this "solo" server program a try out, because I am going to.  It looks pretty good, you can run it on your own PC with a low usage footprint and can try out mods too, if you like.  It will be a nice way to try out new things and also just have fun building and exploring.  I like the PvPvE Unofficial I play on but this will add an extra dimension to the game, sort of like a Creative mode, I hope.  Official servers both blow and suck at the moment.

A brief excerpt from the author's post:  ... this is the program that will dynamically help you open and close servers on the fly so you can play privately on the full official map, with just average hardware. If you can run at least 1 server, this will work, allowing people to even run it on the same computer they are playing on.

Edited by Coggage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, UDO said:

maybe just maybe you should have asked in global chat first instead of just assuming they had left it neutral on purpose ? then moaning that they changed it 😕

Baloney.  That's on the Company that sets the flag.  If they forgot to set it otherwise, too bad for them.  The problem is the ability to tell somebody they CAN build, and then later, deciding to just take everything they own, by changing the claim status.  That's absurd.  It removes the incentive to build on somebody else's claim.  There needs to be rules.  You allow somebody to build there, than can build there, period.  You benefit due to the taxes.  And taxes on tenants should be capped at 10%.  Sure, set it to 30% if you want for the transients, but the tenants are there all the time, and always providing to you, so that should have a separate cap...lower cap, as an incentive to build on somebody else's claim.

They should also make it such that you can open up some claims for use by a tribe, and you allow them to use that specific claim, or set of claims.  This should also make them an automatic Ally.  So long as they have structures in your claim, they can't break the Alliance.  This prevents the use of this mechanic to build a forward base to attack with.  Why is this important?  Because this fear is one of the biggest reasons people will not allow somebody to build on their claims in PvP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, UDO said:

maybe just maybe you should have asked in global chat first instead of just assuming they had left it neutral on purpose ? then moaning that they changed it 😕

So tired of these stupid comments.....to the person that lost your base, I'm sorry as it happen to me also. To the person above , I Did talk and I did build and I got kicked because I went out on the seas to explore. I was kicked because i stopped building and wasn't paying enough tax so they took my stuff. It is broken and stop defending the system.

 

If a land owner freaks out you lose your stuff, if a land owner don't think you farm enough you get kicked out. So easy to be two faced in this game with this system and no way for a person to defend his base if he or she builds on someone's land plain and simple.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, UDO said:

maybe just maybe you should have asked in global chat first instead of just assuming they had left it neutral on purpose ? then moaning that they changed it 😕

Global chat is only for one grid, not the entire server.

 

The Devs should have added MMO type communication systems. Better chat, private messages, mail boxes for offiline messages for the various timezones.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is still their land though, they benefit from it so why they did it is beyond me. Make sure they’re ‘good guys’, you have some very toxic players out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Percieval said:

Make sure they’re ‘good guys’, you have some very toxic players out there. 

Relying on human nature instead of game mechanics isn't the best idea for the longevity of the game.

 

Look at games like Wurm Online. It has amazing systems for internal guild permissions and land claim. Very human/player run servers, but NEEDED game mechanics in play to facilitate.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Percieval said:

It is still their land though, they benefit from it so why they did it is beyond me. Make sure they’re ‘good guys’, you have some very toxic players out there. 

 

12 minutes ago, Lynx said:

Relying on human nature instead of game mechanics isn't the best idea for the longevity of the game.

 

Look at games like Wurm Online. It has amazing systems for internal guild permissions and land claim. Very human/player run servers, but NEEDED game mechanics in play to facilitate.

 

Agreed.  How do you know if they are good guys or not?  So yeah, when you ask to build, they are good guys, and say sure, thinking they will benefit from the taxes.  But then, you have build a big base, and play a lot and so you are getting the majority of the metal, and are taming the best tames in the area.  So the people in the other company complain to the leader, and so he fixes the situation by removing your access.  Now, your stuff is no longer yours.  Now, you have tames, and materials, with no place to put them.  You are screwed.  Not a smart way to run a game.  These Devs seem lazy and seem to think that everything can be handled by the game community.  No, it cannot, and never will, in games, because of metagamers, who twist every good intention in the game, to their own benefit, regardless of the damage it does to the community.  Thinking that communities can police themselves is like thinking you could get rid of your local police department.  How long do you think it will take before the criminals and gangs start making life hell for the common folks that just want to live their life and be left alone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Thinking that communities can police themselves is like thinking you could get rid of your local police department.  How long do you think it will take before the criminals and gangs start making life hell for the common folks that just want to live their life and be left alone?

Beside the great literature Lord of the Flys, I also like to use the Walking Dead as an example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

 

 

Agreed.  How do you know if they are good guys or not?  So yeah, when you ask to build, they are good guys, and say sure, thinking they will benefit from the taxes.  But then, you have build a big base, and play a lot and so you are getting the majority of the metal, and are taming the best tames in the area.  So the people in the other company complain to the leader, and so he fixes the situation by removing your access.  Now, your stuff is no longer yours.  Now, you have tames, and materials, with no place to put them.  You are screwed.  Not a smart way to run a game.  These Devs seem lazy and seem to think that everything can be handled by the game community.  No, it cannot, and never will, in games, because of metagamers, who twist every good intention in the game, to their own benefit, regardless of the damage it does to the community.  Thinking that communities can police themselves is like thinking you could get rid of your local police department.  How long do you think it will take before the criminals and gangs start making life hell for the common folks that just want to live their life and be left alone?

That is understandable though, I would do the same, but only after talking to them first. At this moment with this claiming system it’s all a but screwed up but when we see a good claiming system (maybe 1 claim per head) everything will change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Caduryn said:

People still Play on official….? 😱

 

YES! 

 

Official

  • Bugs will destroy your stuff, even galleons 😞
  • Support is extremely terrible
  • No enforced rules

 

Unofficial

  • Owner can delete your stuff without any reason - just because you looked at him funny
  • Bored with the game? Dont pay the server fees, all is gone
  • Constant dependence on random strangers you dont know
  • Alternative is to pay a large fee for a TINY fraction of sectors you get on official, own the thing yourself, constantly push for more people to join - a never ending cycle

 

PVE - Official

PVP - Unofficial

 

Edited by Dexter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dexter said:

 

YES! 

 

Official

  • Bugs will destroy your stuff, even galleons 😞
  • Support is extremely terrible
  • No enforced rules

 

Unofficial

  • Owner can delete your stuff without any reason - just because you looked at him funny
  • Bored with the game? Dont pay the server fees, all is gone
  • Constant dependence on random strangers you dont know
  • Alternative is to pay a large fee for a TINY fraction of sectors you get on official, own the thing yourself, constantly push for more people to join - a never ending cycle

 

PVE - Official

PVP - Unofficial

 

Or you just join a community (with of without own server) with large unofficial maps, stay with building on your own grid so your stuff is forever safe until you stop playing it. Then just download the files. Want to come back after 4 months? Place the files in the folder and bam, you can continue playing on your map you created!

Edited by Percieval

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lynx said:

Relying on human nature instead of game mechanics isn't the best idea for the longevity of the game.

Look at games like Wurm Online. It has amazing systems for internal guild permissions and land claim. Very human/player run servers, but NEEDED game mechanics in play to facilitate.

LOL, and you forgot to mention the really fun part of Wurm. Spending YEARS incessantly grinding for skills and many of those grinding sessions are just mindless, like grooming a horse over and over and over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

LOL, and you forgot to mention the really fun part of Wurm. Spending YEARS incessantly grinding for skills and many of those grinding sessions are just mindless, like grooming a horse over and over and over again.

Well. I was mostly talking about the awesome systems, ones that Atlas is missing.

 

But Atlas has the same grind. Its just not as sophisticated. And combat is more modern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×