Sign in to follow this  
Salty Jack

Better build you base fast on the PVE server....

When the server (real one not test server) goes live you better build your base fast on the PVE server....

It will take awhile before anyone is built up enough to make a tax bank and claim the island....

If you build/pillar fast enough you should be able to have your base where you want it....

If you are of the belief that when you claim an Island that you will have 12+ hours to delete what came before I hope for the sake of the game you are wrong....

If you can delete what came before when you claim an island the system will not work at all for PVE.... If that is the case and you have a building I don't want there I will just un-claim the island letting my bro claim it making everything you thought was yours eligible for deletion....  Then he will give island back to me....

Think I might test that when the test server goes online..... Oh wait.... who was it Willard ? said we should not test this kind of thing till the real servers go live ?....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

pillars and foundations are the new "claim".

1. stake out your area

2. drop pillars/foundations to "claim" an area

3. build at your own pace and enjoy

i think that's how most people will play it. this will only get annoying if people claim an area and never build on it. the PTR will shed some light on the details of this system but i could see problems with this on PvE if land owners can't destroy after the 12 hour window.

pros and cons either way...

CAN destroy after 12 hours: land owners can clean up pillar spam but can also "clean up" your legit base.

CAN NOT destroy after 12 hours: pillar spam is allowed to stay as long as the player is active.

On pve it seems that if you land on an island that isn't claimed.  Anything you build upto the point it is claimed is safe.  Say for example you arrive on day 2, island is clear, you build a nice little house, some fencing, a pen etc.  Then on day 3 some dude turns up with 40 mates, they build a tax bank and claim the island, you will now be within their area. Everything you built on Day 2 will be safe.  But everything you then try to build on Day 3, onwards will be deletable by the new owners for upto 12 hours after it is built.  If the new owners are okay with it, it'll become safe after 12 hours.  If they're not.  That's life eh. 

I "assume" tax banks will still need specific resources like gems etc so people will likely need to find those before they can build a tax bank and make a claim.  They'll also need to level up enough to make the tax bank, which with everything else that's needed will take some time.  Although respecs every level will probably help with that.  Unless tax bank is moved down the skill tree, it's as far as I'm aware at the end of the buildings skils, under advanced buildings after stone. So a few levels will be needed just to access it.

The worst aspect of exploitation of the new system, is people will make multiple claims of islands within a given zone, to "own the zone" and then never build on those islands.  Just to block other people.  But they'll need to patrol those islands to remove buildings within the 12 hour deletion period to actively block anyone from building, which is easier said than done.   Even if someone claims an island, and even if they put tax to 100% they'd still need to actively patrol it to stop people living there.  In claiming multiple areas, they'd also be raising their own upkeep costs and in trying to keep people away, would mean they'd need to grind those costs themselves.  Both would be useless exercises as presumbably people would also want to play the actual game.  Ultimately they'd need to make concessions and allow people to build.  I have no idea how tax on a given island affects building stuff on your ships at sea.  Maybe it does or doesn't, which should see tax levels reduce as people realise they need other people living there, or they won't be able to afford the upkeep.

I expect/suspect that upkeep is going to be the catch22 of the game.  If you try to be obnoxious and toxic, you'll spend all day grinding resources for upkeep.   Just trying to keep the island claims to yourself.  If you share with people and tax fairly, you and everyone else will have fun.  Therein lies the problem of catch 22.. help or hinder.

Edited by Martyn

that is my plan.... pillar the area I want right off the bat.... and if the new "lord" does not allow me to FINISH my base I will spend ALL my time dropping pillars in rocks where they cannot be seen until I am allowed to finish my base.... If I cant build... neither will he.... does not matter if my pillars decay fast or slow or if I do not/cannot upkeep them.... I can drop new ones every day.... THAT is how PVE WILL be played.... welcome to the new system fellas....

Edited by Salty Jack
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Salty Jack said:

that is my plan.... pillar the area I want right off the bat.... and if the new "lord" does not allow me to FINISH my base I will spend ALL my time dropping pillars in rocks where they cannot be seen until I am allowed to finish my base.... If I cant build... neither will he.... does not matter if my pillars decay fast or slow or if I do not/cannot upkeep them.... I can drop new ones every day.... THAT is how PVE WILL be played.... welcome to the new system fellas....

PvE will be such a fun place I can imagine. 

• Haha 3

if you have a very specific place on pve you want to build, sure i guess

if you just want land and don't care a whole lot where it is, pve isn't going to have enough people on it to raise the company caps high enough to claim anywhere near all the islands, so it'll be flat out impossible for all the land to be claimed

1 hour ago, Percieval said:

PvE will be such a fun place I can imagine. 

Its sounding like ARK and the way it was originally. Pillar spam, foundation spam/ Eww not liking the sounds of that.

6 hours ago, Salty Jack said:

When the server (real one not test server) goes live you better build your base fast on the PVE server....

It will take awhile before anyone is built up enough to make a tax bank and claim the island....

If you build/pillar fast enough you should be able to have your base where you want it....

If you are of the belief that when you claim an Island that you will have 12+ hours to delete what came before I hope for the sake of the game you are wrong....

If you can delete what came before when you claim an island the system will not work at all for PVE.... If that is the case and you have a building I don't want there I will just un-claim the island letting my bro claim it making everything you thought was yours eligible for deletion....  Then he will give island back to me....

Think I might test that when the test server goes online..... Oh wait.... who was it Willard ? said we should not test this kind of thing till the real servers go live ?....

I never told you can't test smt. I told you this PTR is meant to test functionality, not how to abuse the system 😉 you can test it on live servers.

You got a looot of Ifs in your post man 😉 owner of the island will be able to destroy buildings which are built less than 12 hours. No matter of the ownership of Island. 

You presume that everytime Settlement owner changes he can freely destroy everyting which stands there within 12 hours from his claim. Nope he can't. 

Edited by Willard
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Salty Jack said:

You will be bored after 2 days 😉 dropping pillars for what reason? To grief owner on PVE server? Lol 😄 if he doesn't want you then leave and ask somewhere else. I believe you want to actually play the game if you go to PvE server. If your gameplay reduces on pillaring someone and maintaining thosepillars, good luck with keeping interest in game.

Pillaring into rocks? Fine, lets clear bigger rocks in like 5 minutes with metal pick and destroy your pillars. Easy peasy.

Edited by Willard

I get the feeling that salty jack is just another of those pvpers who can't play on pvp servers.  So they like to lord it over others on pve.

• Like 1

No Martyn.... I am a builder.... I like to build nice bases.... its not that I "cant" play on pvp servers.... its that I wont play on pvp servers.... I am not going to lie and say I would kick all your asses if I DID play on pvp…. I would not.... I would get killed over and over as well as off-lined.... I have NO desire to play that game.... I will get my pvp when Camalot Unchained comes out (where I can be a builder as well as pvp)…. And to you "don't test how the game is REALLY gonna be played" Willard, I have a place in mind for where I want to build my big beautiful base.  If someone beats me too it, my bad, I will move on to plan B, plan C, ect…   But if I DO get my spot and someone claims the island later and tells me I gotta leave, that I can no longer build there, I WILL outlast them.

I do not want to spend my time in a pillar spam war no.... I want to build.... but I will NOT be pushed of the land I built on first.... and neither will most others who play this new system of PVP....

Im just telling how I think its gonna go down.... It will play more like Lawless or Ark as SNEAKYDUDE mentioned.... tell me Im wrong....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

. but I will NOT be pushed of the land I built on first.... and neither will most others who play this new system of PVP....

THIS if im there building before the claim gets taken then i will stay , and if anything new of mine gets deleted that i am building in my previous claimed / pillared area then i will be spamming the entire island with foundations and pilllars the new owners wont find all of them in 12hrs 

Guys what if we wait for PTR and see how it goes? All these topics are based on theories which can or cannot come true. 

• Like 3

I really don’t want to have anything I build to be approved by the “housing association” of the island. Nor do I want to control what others build. I am hoping to live lawless again with mechanics that curb spam. We had a great time without claimed land and I hope that whatever the new rule system is, it will allow for independent gameplay. I really enjoy interacting with the community side of a MMO with the ability to create like an individual.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Willard said:

Guys what if we wait for PTR and see how it goes? All these topics are based on theories which can or cannot come true. 

Says the guy who has been ALL OVER this forum the last month or so.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

Says the guy who has been ALL OVER this forum the last month or so.....

Ye and thats why I see all these doomsaying topics are pretty repetitive and lead nowhere 😉

Edited by Willard

Where in ANY of these threads has THIS scenario of what may very well go down been brought up ?.... 

it has not or I would not be posting....

look... you see my post count..... I obviously do not post enough to be a troll.... I am sure you have checked my profile to see what games I own and how many hours I play (something I don’t know how to or care to check about others)..... I loved Ark.... I love Atlas..... I’m gonna play it no matter what.... 

i would prefer that the PVE system be a grief free mechanic in which I can spend my free time playing as I enjoy.... building..... I see myself building and enjoying the game when. It comes back.... I also think I see how this system is going to play out....

i started this thread to discuss this likely scenario..... if you want to discuss THAT, then have at it..... if you want to continue to try to passively censure me then consider yourself dismissed.....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

Where in ANY of these threads has THIS scenario of what may very well go down been brought up ?.... 

it has not or I would not be posting....

look... you see my post count..... I obviously do not post enough to be a troll.... I am sure you have checked my profile to see what games I own and how many hours I play (something I don’t know how to or care to check about others)..... I loved Ark.... I love Atlas..... I’m gonna play it no matter what.... 

i would prefer that the PVE system be a grief free mechanic in which I can spend my free time playing as I enjoy.... building..... I see myself building and enjoying the game when. It comes back.... I also think I see how this system is going to play out....

i started this thread to discuss this likely scenario..... if you want to discuss THAT, then have at it..... if you want to continue to try to passively censure me then consider yourself dismissed.....

I don't even know how to check what games you play. I really don't care to be honest. How do you want to discuss abusing system if you are not sure how it actually works? You want game to be played without griefing and yet you write here about you spamming pillars to rocks if owner of settlement won't allow you to build there. When we know how it actually works we can talk about ways how to abuse that system. Not before.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

With the current system - if I claim an area, all structures in that area become mine - agreed ? Good ! Now with the new system - Jose builds his base foundation while I’m building my tax bank, once I claim the island would his foundations not belong to me ?  Demolish structures - Jose spams the island that I have claimed with pillars, Jose says that no one will be able to build now, Jose has just made me a landlord without tenants, the waiting game begins.

I already own the island and can build my base and such in the immediate area and can now demolish anything Jose goes to build within 12 hours, if all he does is pillars then I’ll let the pillars decay on their own.  Jose won’t build a base though that much I can promise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

With the current system - if I claim an area, all structures in that area become mine - agreed ? Good ! Now with the new system - Jose builds his base foundation while I’m building my tax bank, once I claim the island would his foundations not belong to me ?  Demolish structures - Jose spams the island that I have claimed with pillars, Jose says that no one will be able to build now, Jose has just made me a landlord without tenants, the waiting game begins.

I already own the island and can build my base and such in the immediate area and can now demolish anything Jose goes to build within 12 hours, if all he does is pillars then I’ll let the pillars decay on their own.  Jose won’t build a base though that much I can promise.

Then when Jose blocks in all your ships or finds another way to piss you off, your be over here on the forums crying. That's how you guys do it. Talk big and tough and thinks its ok if you ruin someones else gameplay, but if they do it to you. its all tear and threats.

• Like 1

Yes Daemon.... now we are talking.... what you said is what I want to know.... it makes all the difference in the world as to if this system will work for PVE..... you ask if when your tax bank is built will all foundations/buildings that are already there belong to you?.... 

that is the million dollar question.... 

ih the answer is no.... I can live with the new system.....

if the answer is yes then nobody’s base is ever truly safe because you can drop island claim and your buddy can immediately claim island granting him/you ownership of others base/foundations no matter how long they have been there.... 

do you think people will stand for that mechanic ?....

the fear of the new system working in this manner is the ONLY reason I started this thread....

22 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

Yes Daemon.... now we are talking.... what you said is what I want to know.... it makes all the difference in the world as to if this system will work for PVE..... you ask if when your tax bank is built will all foundations/buildings that are already there belong to you?.... 

that is the million dollar question.... 

ih the answer is no.... I can live with the new system.....

if the answer is yes then nobody’s base is ever truly safe because you can drop island claim and your buddy can immediately claim island granting him/you ownership of others base/foundations no matter how long they have been there.... 

do you think people will stand for that mechanic ?....

the fear of the new system working in this manner is the ONLY reason I started this thread....

Unless I missed something, there's nothing in the patch notes that says anything anybody builds belongs to the settlement owner.  It implies the opposite in fact.  However, if you've got an active settlement owner, they can destroy anything you build within X hours (they say they might increase that from 12).    So it's "yours" , but not really yours until the X hours are up.  The patch notes DO say the destruction window is from the time something is built.  It wouldn't be based on when someone claims the island because that makes the place a free-for-all starting the day after the claim.

26 minutes ago, ButtPirate said:

Then when Jose blocks in all your ships or finds another way to piss you off, your be over here on the forums crying. That's how you guys do it. Talk big and tough and thinks its ok if you ruin someones else gameplay, but if they do it to you. its all tear and threats.

Disagreeing with this new design is not "crying on the forums".  We tried telling them this kind of stuff would happen as soon as they announced it, but they want to try it anyway, and when there's no surprise and all this passive-aggressive stuff does happen, we'll be back here saying I told you so.  The developers call that "input".

As far as ruining someone else's gameplay -  hey, if I get a claim, it's going to be set up the way I want it set up.  Plenty of people feel that way..they want to interview everyone who wants to build there..they don't want this, they don't want that....  If I log in some morning and find some guy with a freakish name has built junk all over my island, I'm destroying it.  If he gets pissed off and pillars my ships, I'm gonna complain about that.  (Not about HIM, about the idiotic design that encourages players to do that stuff)

Both the destruction and the build-anywhere pillars are built into this design on purpose.  This is how the devs want the game to be played.  It's not griefing if people play the way they designed it to be.  It's just rotten design, IMO.