Sign in to follow this  
Saltydog920

What is the point of base building?

I love building bases, but with the mechanics it seems pointless to do so. I'm curious if anyone else out their creates amazing abodes. What do you do to protect it? I've built a few nice residences only to have someone put a claim flag down while I'm logged off sleeping and then I lose it entirely since they can simply "demolish" once their flag is up. I'd love some tips for protection. I do wish you'd have to forcibly take over a base by breaking down doors rather than passively waiting for your flag to go up.

If that's pvp..., just make a box, pvp propably will never have anything pretty unless they add some restrictions but even then, still the most efficient way to defend would be... a box.

7 minutes ago, Saltydog920 said:

I love building bases, but with the mechanics it seems pointless to do so. I'm curious if anyone else out their creates amazing abodes. What do you do to protect it? I've built a few nice residences only to have someone put a claim flag down while I'm logged off sleeping and then I lose it entirely since they can simply "demolish" once their flag is up. I'd love some tips for protection. I do wish you'd have to forcibly take over a base by breaking down doors rather than passively waiting for your flag to go up.

I just find the process fun. I'm not sure there is a point other then a form of expression.

I like the building in this game. Iā€™m a bit busy now but when I got time I want to create some kickass looking harbor. But that will definitely take a lot of time. One thing is for sure and that it is a better building system ARK vanilla ever had.Ā 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Saltydog920 said:

Sadly the answer to this question is to not play on the official server, if you want to build something nice that won't be griefed, or stolen then you sadly need to play on an unofficial server as their is not proper game balance on the official server!

Ā 

"I have a dream, that some day, all gamer's or all style's can co-exist on one server! A place where the balance allows for each different section of the community to serve its purpose for the other and no play style to be so overwhelming that it ruins the play style of the other!Ā  I have a dream..."

• Like 2

I am building in lawless because the claim system is still not working correctly. When you claim you go to sleep you come back and it's gone. Lawless builds are yours for 4 days. After 4 days it is demolish-able, however if you login it resets to 4 days so if you make sure you are not offline for longer than 4 days you can keep the protection going.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There is just one protection for your base : Build in lawless, and build a big cube with hundreds of 1x1 chambers. Build with stone. This costs too much efforts from the trolls side to destroy. Dont piss off other players on your island or they will destroy you out of hatred, even if they have zero loot or success.

If you do the same in claimable land it wont work : A hundred player tribe who wants your land just takes it. 10 mortars in a fire line and bye bye base.Ā 

Edited by Talono
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wumi Shivers said:

I am building in lawless because the claim system is still not working correctly. When you claim you go to sleep you come back and it's gone. Lawless builds are yours for 4 days. After 4 days it is demolish-able, however if you login it resets to 4 days so if you make sure you are not offline for longer than 4 days you can keep the protection going.

It's the only place in Atlas where you can guarantee your structures will be there the following morning.Ā  I've lost two Claims overnight, which is technically impossible because I was Active in the Claim mere hours beforehand and it is supposed to be safe for THREE DAYS from when I was Active.Ā  Only an idiot would build on a Claim after that exploit/glitch!

YeahĀ I am not going to touch claims until it has a better system behind it. I know you are not suppose to build in lawless, but so far it is the best option available.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wumi Shivers said:

YeahĀ I am not going to touch claims until it has a better system behind it. I know you are not suppose to build in lawless, but so far it is the best option available.

On the PVP server lawless is not only the best but the only option. Building a base on claimable land is auto-suicide.

Especially at the moment with 5:30 hours to claim a flag. Very very LOL.

Ok, hopefully some of you can clear up the term "lawless". I thought that was anywhere that wasn't a freeport. If so, there's no 4 day cool down option for demolishing. Maybe it's the server I play on (EliteArk). There's other land that's not claimable? So confused....

4 minutes ago, Saltydog920 said:

Ok, hopefully some of you can clear up the term "lawless". I thought that was anywhere that wasn't a freeport. If so, there's no 4 day cool down option for demolishing. Maybe it's the server I play on (EliteArk). There's other land that's not claimable? So confused....

Lawless is an area that has non-claimable land, BUT you can build there as long as it's not to close to an enemy structure. It says "You're building in lawless, will be demolish-able in 4 days."Ā Many people are using lawless to set up a nice base because you know that it is there for 4 days and only takes being on for a second to make sure the timer resets.

7 minutes ago, Saltydog920 said:

lawless territories are arround freeports, north, east, west, south, each freeport is surrounded by 4 of those.

Despite of that, playing Atlas is pointless. On the PVP server every piece of land to claim is taken by huge companies with hundreds of players who own at least one island completely, often two or more.

There is really no way to claim land from them, especially not with the current 5 hour 30 timer.

So, yes, you can live on lawless, if you are lucky and build fast and big enough. But even the lawless islands are completely taken by huge companies meanwhile. And there the story ends. I cant build ships other than a raft without beeing instant destroyed.

I also own a good piece of land on the PVE server, but there it is pointless as well. I can build galleons, but what do i want to do with these galleons ? Shooting ships of the damned ? Boring !

A PVE/PVP server would be the perfect solution, live safe and build in PVE, then take the risk and go for a fortune in PVP.

In my view the point of having a base of any type is to advance your character beyond Lvl 8, which is the maximum level you gain in a Freeport.

If you want to make pretty bases that have no point other than being eye candy, private server is your best choice.Ā  If you want to build functional defence structures that are meant to defend your stuff when you are offline, then play on the official PVP server.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Dont believe me, here is one of my companies islands.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Hodo

The first structure you should build is a strong relationship with a large clan that will allow you to build on its territory.

That needs to be more beautiful than anything crafted from stone and wood.

There are companies out there that are happy for your to build on their land if you take the ask first build later approach.

Art imitates life.

Ā 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Talono said:

A PVE/PVP server would be the perfect solution, live safe and build in PVE, then take the risk and go for a fortune in PVP.

But... that means this game would resemble EVE like they bragged it would.

5 hours ago, Chunder the KegSmasher said:

There are companies out there that are happy for your to build on their land if you take the ask first build later approach.

I'd like to see a list of such companies, because i thinkĀ no large company will ever allow you to build anything on their land forĀ simple reasons of it's being not safe for them, it adds lag to their already crowded servers, and you'll be wasting their resources.

Smaller ones may allow you to build, but they can't really offer safety and there won't be many of them left soon.

• Like 1

Companies allowing you to live as slaves on the more rocky, uninteresting part of their island ?

If we do not consider the fact that slavery did end 1865 (officially at least), there are many otherĀ things to consider :

- it is no fun to build under 30% tax penalty

- the island owning company can wipe you dirty unworthy slaves whenever they want

- the island owning company can simply change the flag status and all what you have built will decay quickly

No, this is not the solution to make Atlas attractive for solo players, small/average tribes and players with life/friends/family/job.

Ā 

Just to stay with the facts :

- EVERY island on the PVP servers is taken by a mega company, wiping everyone who sets a foot on their island

- if you build a ship other than a raft it is 100% gone the next day when you come from work to log in, independent if you park it in lawless, freeport, open sea or anywhere else

Ā 

The only solution is just identical to how this is managed in EVE, Empyrion or Pirates of the Burning sea :

HYBRID PVE/PVP server, bases, ship building on PVE islands, rare ressources and treasure only available in PVP areas so that they can not be gained without risk.

RISK is ok, challenging and full of tension, but not like nowĀ auto-loss of all ships bases as soon as you leave the freeport.

So if you sail for treasure hunt into the PVP area and a pirate gets you with panties down... well ok, you have one Schooner less. But you are not reset to tree punching in your freeport like it is now.

Ā 

Many players recite the EVE motto here very often ā€žDont fly what you can not affordĀ to loseā€œ.

This is valid in EVE, where you build ships in PVE and then venture out into PVP with them.Ā 

This is not valid in ATLAS where you have auto-loss of all assets.

Ā 

Edited by Talono

1 hour ago, Talono said:

Companies allowing you to live as slaves on the more rocky, uninteresting part of their island ?

If we do not consider the fact that slavery did end 1865 (officially at least), there are many otherĀ things to consider :

- it is no fun to build under 30% tax penalty

- the island owning company can wipe you dirty unworthy slaves whenever they want

- the island owning company can simply change the flag status and all what you have built will decay quickly

No, this is not the solution to make Atlas attractive for solo players, small/average tribes and players with life/friends/family/job.

Ā 

Just to stay with the facts :

- EVERY island on the PVP servers is taken by a mega company, wiping everyone who sets a foot on their island

- if you build a ship other than a raft it is 100% gone the next day when you come from work to log in, independent if you park it in lawless, freeport, open sea or anywhere else

Ā 

The only solution is just identical to how this is managed in EVE, Empyrion or Pirates of the Burning sea :

HYBRID PVE/PVP server, bases, ship building on PVE islands, rare ressources and treasure only available in PVP areas so that they can not be gained without risk.

RISK is ok, challenging and full of tension, but not like nowĀ auto-loss of all ships bases as soon as you leave the freeport.

So if you sail for treasure hunt into the PVP area and a pirate gets you with panties down... well ok, you have one Schooner less. But you are not reset to tree punching in your freeport like it is now.

Ā 

Many players recite the EVE motto here very often ā€žDont fly what you can not affordĀ to loseā€œ.

This is valid in EVE, where you build ships in PVE and then venture out into PVP with them.Ā 

This is not valid in ATLAS where you have auto-loss of all assets.

Ā 

Obviously you never lived deep in 0.0

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zlax said:

Obviously you never lived deep in 0.0

I did, 10 years in Hi-Sec would be boringšŸ˜‰

Owned wormholes and stuff, was a great time.

But the pirate setting in Atlas is way cooler. Hopefully the devs make up their mind and bring a PVE/PVP hybrid server like it is in EVE.

1 hour ago, Talono said:

I did, 10 years in Hi-Sec would be boringšŸ˜‰

Owned wormholes and stuff, was a great time.

But the pirate setting in Atlas is way cooler. Hopefully the devs make up their mind and bring a PVE/PVP hybrid server like it is in EVE.

I'll agree with you as far as the claim system needs a rework, just slapping a long timer on it is not it tho I dont think.

Maybe reworking the Freeports into actual freeports, and having them be a PvE safe harbor with NPC traders ect, not sure how to do it tho with the low pop limit, even with the amount of freeports we have now there would probably be one that will become the defactor trade hub and then everyone would lag to death there.

Not sure if they can design a simpel trade hub zone with zero wildlife and if that would allow server perfomance to be high enough to allow more players on the servers maybe?

21 minutes ago, Zlax said:

I'll agree with you as far as the claim system needs a rework, just slapping a long timer on it is not it tho I dont think.

Maybe reworking the Freeports into actual freeports, and having them be a PvE safe harbor with NPC traders ect, not sure how to do it tho with the low pop limit, even with the amount of freeports we have now there would probably be one that will become the defactor trade hub and then everyone would lag to death there.

Not sure if they can design a simpel trade hub zone with zero wildlife and if that would allow server perfomance to be high enough to allow more players on the servers maybe?

FreeportsĀ could spawn additional instances on demand (it's a no pvp zone anyway), and docked ships should be removed from the gameworld.

Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LaiTash said:

FreeportsĀ could spawn additional instances on demand (it's a no pvp zone anyway), and docked ships should be removed from the gameworld.

Ā 

Cant really remove ships from gameworld .. but maybe give them a timer (24h?)Ā and eject anything bigger than a ramshacled sloop into the nearest lawless zone šŸ˜›