Proxas

Patch 10 Just killed Trading Companies.

after all they need numbers not just a few hardcore players to keep the servers running. they gotta pay bills.

but im sure once the more casual servers are working they will introduce a hardcore server with original rates and permadeath. maybe even move all starter areas to the west side of the map and even introduce minimum level caps to move farther east.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 10:23 AM, Proxas said:

The fact you can now tame anything with berries and non-specialized things just killed all the cool Trading Co Companies.

Way to think that one through, some streamer probably complained..................

The problem is that many things were not well thought out.  It's why this game is better described as an Alpha, and not Early Access.  I am tired of the term Early Access, because they want it to be too broad.  They know many people will not buy access to an Alpha, so they call it Early Access because they know that the majority of gamers think that Early Access is more like a Beta, not an Alpha.  Then they act surprised when the hate rises to epic levels over things like, not having a single mechanism to prevent your ship from being sunk while you sleep.

20 hours ago, Realist said:

This is ark. It isn’t a trading game. People might want this to be something else but this is ark.

build a base on land and then only sail when you want to go raid someone’s base that is on land. That is literally all the game is.

once they are dumb enough to add fliers into the game they won’t even care about boats anymore.

scratch that. Actually they will still be driving rafts so the fliers will have something to land on.

air supremacy will make its return. 100% guaranteed 

Well after "This is Ark" there is no need to read - you are clearly not using brain.

1 hour ago, Cyrus Bloodwood said:

How do you trade materials?  Just drop yours in front of the other person and hope for the best?

I am assuming that those towns with the ambient crowd noise, will at some point in the future, offer a way to buy a building to act as a store front.  You will deposit what you have to sell, and other people will be able to view those goods, and purchase what they can carry.  Hopefully, the system will only allow you to purchase what you can carry.  Lag will sometimes make things go awry when performing some functions.  I can see it lagging, and you purchase 5 heavy items, when you can only carry 3...like heavy cannons.  Limiting the purchase to what you can carry would prevent that.

20 hours ago, Realist said:

This is ark. It isn’t a trading game. People might want this to be something else but this is ark.

build a base on land and then only sail when you want to go raid someone’s base that is on land. That is literally all the game is.

once they are dumb enough to add fliers into the game they won’t even care about boats anymore.

scratch that. Actually they will still be driving rafts so the fliers will have something to land on.

air supremacy will make its return. 100% guaranteed 

The Devs want it to be a PvP game with piracy and lot's of trading and commerce.  They do not want it to be ARK.  The problem is that right now, it has too much ARK in it.  This is why people complain that it is a reskin of ARK.  If they wanted ARK with Pirates, they wouldn't complain about it being ARK with Pirates.

That is why I made that thread, which has now been moved to the suggestions forum, as to why they have to put throttles on PvP...not eliminate PvP...just direct it in a manner that promotes the trade and mercantilism they say they want for the game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Percieval said:

Trading will never happen in this game, not possible. Only high end stuff that nobody will care about eventually. 

Why is that, other games with similar set up had trading as one of the strongest option and play style. It's really not that hard to set up for a good dev team. I can definitly see trading in this game being similar as Eve online, npc trading from freeport to freeports sure wouldn't take long to code, buy some stupid mat in a freeport as a very heavy package, sell it in an other, give gold when it's done, 3 line of code, 2 npc, hundred of hours spent in the game by players lol. Player to player is a bit harder, i guess as you need to put an entire system in place, that need a bit of thinking, but other games managed to do it very well. After all they have 2 years of play testing before launch Lulz

Or just an actual trade menu like in every other mmo where you pass stuff after locking in.

Although I like your idea.  But would only work in PvE.  PvP your stall would be destroyed and looted within min with the current mechanics.

Edit - oops several posts snuck in while I typed this.  Shoulda quoted lol

Edited by Kyorin

2 minutes ago, ExplodingYeti said:

Why is that, other games with similar set up had trading as one of the strongest option and play style. It's really not that hard to set up for a good dev team. I can definitly see trading in this game being similar as Eve online, npc trading from freeport to freeports sure wouldn't take long to code, buy some stupid mat in a freeport as a very heavy package, sell it in an other, give gold when it's done, 3 line of code, 2 npc, hundred of hours spent in the game by players lol. Player to player is a bit harder, i guess as you need to put an entire system in place, that need a bit of thinking, but other games managed to do it very well. After all they have 2 years of play testing before launch Lulz

because this is based on ARK, and thus brings with it a player base that knows nothing but pure PvE disguised as PvP...that being offline raiding, with nothing to truly prevent it.

4 hours ago, bluelance said:

You are forgetting if they add more stuff to learn it will stretch it out. The games only been out for 3 weeks. Tarot is unavailable and no doubt other boats etc will become available and many other things

Sure, when they stretch it so can specialize more than now.

I still see trading playing a big part in the game, especially for people like me who much prefer soloing to grouping up with strangers I have nothing in common with and who I wouldn't trust for months even if I did.  Some blueprints take two, three or more Metal types, Wood types and so forth, and I'd far rather buy those off someone than spend time going and getting them.  Even Wood, Fiber, Thatch are needed in huge quantities for a big building project, and I'd rather buy that in bulk instead of gathering it all on my own.  There are things I am not interested in making, so I'd prefer to buy those if I need to rather than spend skill points in a tree I have no interest in.  There's always a market for things, you just have to find it.

there were trade desks in the ark mod survival plus that did a good job of setting up a medium for trading. interestingly it wasn't rare things pushing most trade, it was bulk materials. it's clearly doable in atlas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kyorin said:

Well there's a massive incoming taming nerf.  And it's marketed as a pirate experience where you can do many things on the steam page.

So hopefully the devs vision is different, and going by the patch notes they seem to be trying to move away from their Ark core slowly.  Hopefully they can pull it off.

Edit - I just don't want to see hordes of bear, wolf, or lion riders becoming the meta instead of a Calvary unit.  Players spec'd deep into melee or ranged should be just as viable.

Here is my problem with nerfing the already incredibly squishy tames. They are garbage against other predictors, their pve damage and resistances needs buffed. When my lvl 30 bears lose half thier hp to a single lvl 10 wolf that is not broken. They stood up from being tamed at 500hp and now I'm suppose to move around with half that hp, dumb nerf and an over reaction to a bad streamer. 

8 hours ago, Proxas said:

"How's 1000 diamond/500 tin/+Seeds for the 1k Honey?
We can throw in pepper seeds.
some wheat/beat/corn seeds too.

[11:11 AM]
Other Trader:
    Honey is nerfed after tomorrow, as we have access to bulk berries in the region. Just won't be worth it."

Too all those saying we're crying.

Ill stick to honey your wasting your time with berry nonsense 

13 minutes ago, whiteshadoh said:

Here is my problem with nerfing the already incredibly squishy tames. They are garbage against other predictors, their pve damage and resistances needs buffed. When my lvl 30 bears lose half thier hp to a single lvl 10 wolf that is not broken. They stood up from being tamed at 500hp and now I'm suppose to move around with half that hp, dumb nerf and an over reaction to a bad streamer. 

Wow I dont lose that much but i also pumped my bears hp up and they are over 50 also you use the heal buff and damage buff or didnt you take that skill  

3 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Then they act surprised when the hate rises to epic levels over things like, not having a single mechanism to prevent your ship from being sunk while you sleep.

I am torn on this one.  I love lost 2 Brigs and 5 sloops to this.  Go to bed, wake up and my ships are sunk.  I have only lost 2 ships while online and I was not even on it when it happened.  How do you put in protections without changing the entire landscape of the game?

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 1

You do realize that there are other things to trade besides the taming things... Anyone who wants higher end equipment will have to have different resources from different areas to make them.   Also some regions dont have enough resources to even start with.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Khalista Flintlock said:

Has this patch even been deployed yet?

Nope,  which makes this discussion all the sillier.

19 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I am torn on this one.  I love lost 2 Brigs and 5 sloops to this.  Go to bed, wake up and my ships are sunk.  I have only lost 2 ships while online and I was not even on it when it happened.  How do you put in protections without changing the entire landscape of the game?

Well, they can't do what Star Citizen is doing.  In that game, if you land at a landing pad, your ship despawns after a period of time.  It will do this just about anywhere, and you and the ship are at the nearest spaceport, waiting to be spawned in.  You spawn in, in a sort of small motel room called an EZ-Hab, and then go to a terminal to request your ship be delivered to a landing pad.  When you get there, you ship is there waiting for you.  In the future, you will be able to despawn in space, or on a planet in the wilderness, and so long as nobody is trying to PvP you, the ship will despawn there after a short period.  You cannot despawn to avoid PvP.  When you log back in, you will be right where you logged off.

Here, I think the answer is going to be Homeports that are SAFE, and I do mean safe...not the illusion of safety that existed with turrets that stopped nobody, in ARK.  No...the action should be AT SEA, with crewed ships, NOT 50 to 500 people ganging up on one person who was unfortunate enough to log in that day to work on his ship.  I detested that more often than not, action in ARK was not real PvP.  This game should fix that by encouraging the action to take place between real people, while at sea.

So give us the ability to make various sizes of Ports, that have AI that never run our, and do not miss...and are impossible to destroy.    I have watched too many videos of large groups who were getting out maneuvered at sea, take it out on those who bettered them at sea, by planning a day when all of their many members would get online, and attack the home port of the company that was besting them at sea.  The defending company has no chance because they are drastically outnumbered because they were out-gunned.  This is not satisfying PvP to me.

I would prefer a system that forced you to declare war, thus notifying the other side that they will be attacked, thus allowing them to provide a real defense.  This puts the P back in PvP.

1 minute ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Nope,  which makes this discussion all the sillier.

That is the point of the question..... They are talking about stuff they have not used the mechanics with at all..... Why cant everyone just wait till its deployed, instead of claiming this is going to ruin the game....

I find it funny that you all have lost so many ships... I still have my first sloop... I am waiting for it to sink.  It has been sitting in harbor for a few days now.  I periodically go aboard and do repairs.  But other than that I havent done anything to it.  It is just parked in with 3 other sloops, a Schooner, with a dozen cannons overlooking the bay they are parked in, with a small pier and some NPC gunners on the cannons overlooking the bay.  Funny how a little forethought leads to some protection.

what you don't think a trading market will be available? auction house etc globally for people to sell their wares on ? If it doesn't implement trade in some way then this games pve has almost no content to keep players playing. without trade pve will be dead in two months.

j

Edited by hands solo

I agree that you need regional trade to make this game viable.  But you also need to make the game more accessible to more "simple" players.  Which I hate, the sailing buff was the wrong direction but the taming adjustment I think maybe a step too far.  If they were to go with a primary and a secondary thing that you could use to tame.  But it makes no sense for a bear to live on an island with nothing that it eats.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

I agree that you need regional trade to make this game viable.  But you also need to make the game more accessible to more "simple" players.  Which I hate, the sailing buff was the wrong direction but the taming adjustment I think maybe a step too far.  If they were to go with a primary and a secondary thing that you could use to tame.  But it makes no sense for a bear to live on an island with nothing that it eats.   

There is another way for trade to flourish which actually benefits the game the small player and all concerned, certainly in regards to trades and exploration. If players had their own capacity to set up a market stall. This would solve any server issues as it would straight from your inventory, which is retained already when you cross servers. So you click a button up comes your market stall, which might be on your boat, and you place the products in its inventory people come along see your market stall and click on it and check the goods you have for sale. So you go to any port and set up your market stall. There may be specific areas solely for them, so as not to have market stalls all over the landscape in freeport. It maybe a separate server, so you click on a door and enter the market place (loaded up_), this way you can globalise the market, by having one server that deals with it all or regionals. You might also have trade mission npc's in the market place, offering transportation contracts yada yada.

Market stalls cannot be set up if your not logged in, no pets doing the stall etc etc. Its really the only way as in PVE trade is the only game there is effectually. No trade means no game. In pvp yeh the game is to become the global ruler. In PVE its to become a successful player which always includes trade and reward. If you have nothing to spend your money on then the gold in game is irrelevant. Also of course where you have trade you must have invention and progression, NEWNESS in products and capabilities as you would expect in a democratic capitalist state. SO expect that when flying vehicles come into play that people will switch to flying or submarines if its better faster and more efficient -- ITS A PROGRESSION...!

CHANGE is not to be feared but to be embraced. Fear of change separates you from progression. You cant have change for the worse, it would be regression not change, change is and can only ever be positive. As for the dullards/muppets that just want to get in a boat and go from a to b, well you know tough shit - this game is going places (one hopes) and your either with it or you aint..! I can even see space as an option as humanity in game progresses, ok maybe be a cyber punk signature but hell why the fuck not...? THERE IS NO LIMIT TO WHERE THIS GAME COULD GO...! That includes aliens to tame if that's what you like...!

I will tell you again THERE IS NO LIFE IN HISTORY...! Imagine for example if the devs hadn't progressed the game from launch, just to prove my point.

J

Edited by hands solo

2 hours ago, Hodo said:

I find it funny that you all have lost so many ships... I still have my first sloop... I am waiting for it to sink.  It has been sitting in harbor for a few days now.  I periodically go aboard and do repairs.  But other than that I havent done anything to it.  It is just parked in with 3 other sloops, a Schooner, with a dozen cannons overlooking the bay they are parked in, with a small pier and some NPC gunners on the cannons overlooking the bay.  Funny how a little forethought leads to some protection.

Luck as much as anything.  It's not that it couldn't have been easily sunk.  It's just that nobody has bothered to do it.