Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Upcoming patch makes me sad - Easy mode sailing

49 minutes ago, Skyroguen said:

The biggest reason I would think that they want to go with this is because of difficulty getting out of tight places. Maneuvering out of that bay you sailed straight into and now can't get out because the wind is wrong. i think 10% would have been fine for that. 20% at most. maybe the crews could stow the guns and ship ores.

Well make it possible to slowly tow a ship out of an area with a grappling how. They probably could add a feature, to connect a ship to a dinghy via a zip line and let the dingy tow the ship (slowly ofc). That would be immersive and fun.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

Granted the real solution would have been to pull in your sails to 0, and be able to use an oar (if solo) at 10 or 15%, and if you have a friend, then two of you go 20 / 30%.. but I have no trouble realising that this change is ultimately for the good of things.  It stops dead zones and stops game play becoming stuck or dead in the water.

(I play on PvE, so, understand it's a different ballgame to PvP)

I'd also be fine with this.  Basically I just want a semi-logical mechanic around it with some gameplay stuff on the player side to account for this magical wind.  Hopefully this is just a temporary fix with the game being so early in it's EA and they plan on giving it a more perm solution later.  Whether its momentum, oars, or buffs and skills it doesn't matter to me as long as it's SOMETHING player involved.  That's half of what made tacking good.  It's a legit, real world mainstay of sailing, and you had to actively do it as a player. It didn't just happen for you.

• Like 1

Im a sailor in real life and work for an yard as well and yes, this new patch is great. In RL you can sail with every wind. Now its more "real".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheSzerdi said:

I know, but I wanted my own thread because I'm going to post in it every day until they revert this change or I quit the game or they ban me. Fuck Grapeshot.

Of all the things to be mad at, this is what you're complaining about? lmfao.

17 minutes ago, Puppies4ever said:

Im a sailor in real life and work for an yard as well and yes, this new patch is great. In RL you can sail with every wind. Now its more "real".

I'm a real sailor, and um...that is physically impossible with out a motor or ores. You can sail very close to the wind but not into it. The best you can do is sailing close hauled which is about 45 degrees from directly into the wind. i do think they need to allow us to sail closer to the wind though.

Edited by Skyroguen
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Patriot.Liberty said:

Of all the things to be mad at, this is what you're complaining about? lmfao.

Could be worse!  They could have allowed players to extract alpha snake venom, and coat arrows with it in lieu of the flame nerf  😉 

2 minutes ago, Skyroguen said:

I'm a real sailor, and um...that is physically impossible with out a motor or ores. You can sail very close to the wind but not into it. The best you can do is sailing close hauled which is about 45 degrees from directly into the wind. i do think they need to allow us to sail closer to the wind though.

I was just about to paste a whole lotta wikipedia and internet articles in response to that guy.. haha

13 minutes ago, Skyroguen said:

I'm a real sailor, and um...that is physically impossible with out a motor or ores. You can sail very close to the wind but not into it. The best you can do is sailing close hauled which is about 45 degrees from directly into the wind. i do think they need to allow us to sail closer to the wind 

Downwind.......a few degrees. Which is sailing closer to the wind. Before the patch you need to sail broad reach whole time to cross. Now its more "real".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

If you don't know how to tack, you shouldn't be in a sailboat - lol

No one plays this game on a sailboat, but on a PC

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Puppies4ever said:

Downwind.......a few degrees. Which is sailing closer to the wind. Before the patch you need to sail broad reach whole time to cross. Now its more "real".

You never got past the raft did you? Raft has no keel, no rudder, no way to use off-angle wind to give the ship forward momentum. With handling sails on the ships you could sail within 20 or 30 degrees of the wind.

Edit to add: The raft was actually the only one that could sail directly into the wind. Since the raft took so long to turn you could point directly into the wind and wiggle the sails back and forth. It was slow and irritating, but it could be done.

Edited by TheSzerdi

15 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

You never got past the raft did you? Raft has no keel, no rudder, no way to use off-angle wind to give the ship forward momentum. With handling sails on the ships you could sail within 20 or 30 degrees of the wind.

Edit to add: The raft was actually the only one that could sail directly into the wind. Since the raft took so long to turn you could point directly into the wind and wiggle the sails back and forth. It was slow and irritating, but it could be done.

Some people are really good laughs.

1. I am long beyond a raft and not only once. You maybe?
2 Please read through a thread COMPLETELY, then you would have also seen what the quote refers to.

Thank you! :)

• Like 1

I hate that people who can't figure out winds are just being catered to, making the skills developed by those of us who ENJOY the sailing ... obsolete.

If people want EZ-mode sailing, there should be a couple skills in the Captain's tree that provide these kinds of bonuses. Make people trade-off by spending their points in that tree if they want the convenience of sailing directly into the wind.

might be sad for you tyhat you play with whole squad, this is good patch for people who play solo or with few friends. Stop complaining about bad/good things, this is a good patch for solo players. 

Its not a good patch for solo players, and the game should not cater to them.

If you choose to go solo things 100% should not be easier for you than a team of people.

That being said....

Yes, rafts could already sail directly upwind, its magic, its stupid, but it was doable.

Ships with handling sails could sail well within what a real ship could, but i was ok with that, you made trade offs

But this? You should never be able to sail directly into the wind.  Thats what oars and motors are for.

Tacking does not go full speed, not even close to it, and it has the longer lines, so tacking will take longer than sailing directly into the wind, and of course sailing directly into the wind takes no effort.

• Like 1

Holy shit its outrageous that a game is not 100% accurate like real life sailing! What a world we live in! Lol. 

Oars would be nice, spending stamina to get thro and even raft players could use that. It helps with dead locks of stupid slow turning wind so no longer being stuck for half day in 1 location...however propably still will have to turn arround in all directions where the wind is just to dodge those stupids SoDs everywhere so that 30% does barely anything. That said, the bonus could be rather included to that locked out tarot tree, like some prophecing/magic mini-game which gives sailing bonus to surrounding ships by few % and some time.

3 hours ago, Vorxius said:

Could be worse!  They could have allowed players to extract alpha snake venom, and coat arrows with it in lieu of the flame nerf  😉 

That's actualy a good idea for a perk, poisoned arrows dealing some extra DoT and making them asleep...

I told it so many times. The game was boring easy  already. They make it easier and people ask here more easier even.

Instant build. Super fast farm. No need to eat. No need to drink. No need for cooker. No need for healers. No need for anyone to sail...

The ads of sail a pirate ship with your friend. Taming the seas toghether, sailing, raiding, exploring. All lie.

What we got is a World of full solo crew ships, childish difficulty, no need of coop, or anything. The craft speed of Fornite with the battles of World of Warships.

Will had to wait for a Pirates Survivalcraft MMO. Meanwhile, lets hope for a good mayor update/relaunch in Life is Feudal. 😢

LMAO I remember the initial reactions were "wow sailing around is so awesome look at this (chat) isnt the water beautiful?" Next day "OH MY GOD the wind is killing me. Third day "we need more bases bases and beds and boats so we can just teleport all over the game''.

Game is fail after fail after fail. Theyre taking the aspects that making it SLIGHTLY different and making them meaningless because they know people dont really want a challenge they want easy mode and insta travel. Instead of making it easier to get around they should make it harder. Especially on the PvP servers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rodarin said:

LMAO I remember the initial reactions were "wow sailing around is so awesome look at this (chat) isnt the water beautiful?" Next day "OH MY GOD the wind is killing me. Third day "we need more bases bases and beds and boats so we can just teleport all over the game''.

Game is fail after fail after fail. Theyre taking the aspects that making it SLIGHTLY different and making them meaningless because they know people dont really want a challenge they want easy mode and insta travel. Instead of making it easier to get around they should make it harder. Especially on the PvP servers.

I would just be staying at my base anyways. This is ark and I would treat it like ark. Build a base, build defenses, then more defenses, then more defenses.......

7 minutes ago, rodarin said:

Harder? why, it was rather fine right now, tho some big ships could cross between islands in few minutes with big speed sails.... However, yes, the traveling system should stay insteed of being made easier, they just should add oars to get out of dead locks insteed of artificial 30% speed boost.

11 hours ago, Nightstrasza said:

that's more of a help with not being stationary for few hours without a way back home

I don't understand how this is even an issue? Tack the wind problem solved. The shortest path from A to B is a straight line but not if that means staring straight into the wind.

Everything is getting easier, but since it happens across patches people dont see it as much.

I made a collection here: 

Just now, Nari said:

I don't understand how this is even an issue? Tack the wind problem solved. The shortest path from A to B is a straight line but not if that means staring straight into the wind.

Bcs it won't get us where we want to go, it will be slightly off and still will have to wait for wind to get to the right place, talking about rafts, was already doing it but takes alot of time, also not sure if it takes that much skill, just knowledge it exists. But as can read further in our posts, mentioned that don't like the artificial 30% speed boost for free and they should just add a way to push forward with physical force like oars.