Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Upcoming patch makes me sad - Easy mode sailing

Come on, dont turn the MMO into Sea of Theives.

The below notes just make it so there is no risk to sailing upwind, no need to learn to tack, no need for handling sails, sigh.

The other patch notes are good fixes, but this is just giving into the whiners imho.

- Sailing against the wind now provides 30% of with-the-wind sailforce, as opposed to 0%.
- Also increased the amount of sailforce provided by minimum windspeed conditions by 30%, and the sailforce provided by maximum windspeed conditions by 15%

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

The below notes just make it so there is no risk to sailing upwind, no need to learn to tack, no need for handling sails, sigh.

The other patch notes are good fixes, but this is just giving into the whiners imho.

- Sailing against the wind now provides 30% of with-the-wind sailforce, as opposed to 0%.
- Also increased the amount of sailforce provided by minimum windspeed conditions by 30%, and the sailforce provided by maximum windspeed conditions by 15%

I hate to say it but good game play is not sitting at your desk twiddling with your thumbs. 

• Like 7

Just now, Jaite said:

I hate to say it but good game play is not sitting at your desk twiddling with your thumbs. 

Completely agree. Sailing around is a lot of fun at first but after a while its just a boring means to an end. Allowing us to get to our destinations faster isn't a bad thing at all. 

Not to mention that ships beyond a raft aren't impacted by sailing into the wind all that much if you know how to sail. The people really punished by sailing into the winds are new players on a raft.... so giving them a little break is also a good move. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sailing on a raft and taking adventage of wind made us feel skilled... however it was so exhausting to not have handling sail that can go against the wind and since the winds change so slowly (like they rotate clockwise 2 times per 24 hours) it meant that sailing somewhere and missing a wind or being forced to change direction bcs of SoDs caused stales up to half day of doing nothing but waiting for stupid wind to go in the right direction...

Sailing was fun at first, but now it is simply a pain waiting for hours to get to somewhere and back.
Spending hours just sailing will kill my and most players enthusiasm. There need to be some kind of jump gates or speed travel when nobody is arround.

Edited by neoloid

I agree the speed is a big boost, it takes me almost half an hour by raft to get to the closest island and that's with the wind in my sail, so I welcome the speed increases. What doesn't make sense is the sailing against the wind providing force, unless its a force going backwards I do find that to be stupid. That's like hitting reverse to go forward

• Like 2

Agreed with OP.  Learning how to sail in a direction against the wind is a basic sailing skill.  It is a tactic in ship pvp to force boats in pursuit to make a mistake turning into the wind.  Perhaps this should be a pve only boost?  Though it doesn't make sense to me to get a forward boost against the wind unless there is a motor attached, which is a modern invention.  This diverts from the 16th to 17th century feel of the boats - the Golden Age of Piracy.  Sigh.

Edited by Vhalkyrie
  • Like 6

This is a good change its only 30% of top force. This means it not dead in the water especially when running into so many sod. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hackjob said:

This is a good change its only 30% of top force. This means it not dead in the water especially when running into so many sod. 

That 30% still won't save from a SoD... that's more of a help with not being stationary for few hours without a way back home, this change atleas give atleast some basic movement. However... won't it mean that handling sails are now useless vs the speed sails?

1 minute ago, Hackjob said:

Yeah but at that point it means whoever has the bigger sail in pvp will have the advantage since now being good at riding the winds doesnt mean much when a big sail ship can just go against the wind

1 minute ago, Nightstrasza said:

That 30% still won't save from a SoD... that's more of a help with not being stationary for few hours without a way back home, this change atleas give atleast some basic movement. However... won't it mean that handling sails are now useless vs the speed sails?

I woumd suspect muktiole speed sails would beat handling in all scenarios now

The problem with SOD is they are basically "Ghost Yachts".  They aren't subject to any wind restrictions, and their angle of attack is about 280 degrees.  Which means that normal ship evasion mechanics don't apply because they don't have any real blind spots, and they can sail full speed against the wind.  The 30% mythical against the wind boost won't help either.  I don't mind dodging the ghost ships out at sea (my two man crew and I have become quite skilled at it), but if they do happen to lock on, normal sailing evasion is disadvantaged against a motorboat ghost yacht.  If the ghost yachts would behave with sail mechanics, it would be more possible to evade them for a getaway with smaller, faster ships like a sloop.

Edited by Vhalkyrie
  • Like 3

But now you dont have to, 30% speed going dead into the wind? Magical boats we have here.

So you can use your knowledge of wind and sailing skills to outfox opponents anymore cause they will always move.

I was ticked you didnt have to get out an oar and turn back into the wind if you got yourself in irons.

2 hours ago, archaegeo said:

Omgosh, yes please!  I can only sail for so many hours each day... it gets SUPER tedious.  I'd much rather get somewhere exciting a little quicker

Just now, strawman said:

Higher speeds with the wind are good but I don't like the against-the-wind change.

I like it. Right now ships don't carry their momentum. In real life, even if the wind suddenly changed it would still carry its momentum and eventually slow down. Or in real life you can close the sails and keep some of your momentum for longer. 30% really isn't too fast and going somewhere far away against the wind will still take a long time. Overall it's a nice and much needed change.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, archaegeo said:

If you want to talk about easy mode...

they are going straight recruit difficulty with the 2x gathering 😂

Fuck you Grapeshot. This completely negates all sailing skill. Everyone will now just straight line to their destination. Are you seriously this retarded?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Fuck you Grapeshot. This completely negates all sailing skill. Everyone will now just straight line to their destination. Are you seriously this retarded?

Yes, because going 30% speed (still pretty dang slow depending on your weight and setup) is going to make the game too easy mode... lol It's a much needed change for a game where ships don't keep their momentum.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yoshihito said:

I like it. Right now ships don't carry their momentum. In real life, even if the wind suddenly changed it would still carry its momentum and eventually slow down. Or in real life you can close the sails and keep some of your momentum for longer. 30% really isn't too fast and going somewhere far away against the wind will still take a long time. Overall it's a nice and much needed change.

If you point a boat too close to "directly into the wind", the wind doesn't hit the sail at all.  It just goes around it on both sides.  This is called "irons", and you don't move at all (except maybe backwards).  The path of least resistance for the vessel is backwards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

Umm, literally one below your post, dont even have to search....

I know, but I wanted my own thread because I'm going to post in it every day until they revert this change or I quit the game or they ban me. Fuck Grapeshot.