Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Atlaneer

Please please will someone tell me an easy way to tame giraffes?

Recommended Posts

They are literally impossible to tame without being hit nowadays I used to be sweet taming them a while ago but now they kill you easily

THE fact that they also spin too while down is just stupid and has been a big tame breaking glitch since day 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Atlaneer said:

They are literally impossible to tame without being hit nowadays I used to be sweet taming them a while ago but now they kill you easily

THE fact that they also spin too while down is just stupid and has been a big tame breaking glitch since day 1

Just buy one. They will be for sale within a day. Just do maps for a couple days and you will have the money to buy one. Best advice you can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they are hard at time, especially if you play alone. They spin around in the pen, one of the worst to tame in my opinion because they knock you back.

Some people say get it to agro on an animal or something, not sure how it works as I only ever tame by hand. I usually have the metal armour to tame the giraffe but still hard if it knocks you back, just have to put bed and box down and respawn next to it.

As Pooter says people will sell them eventually, low levels you can get for a 100-300 gold but depends on the person, if you are lucky some nice people give them for free.

I haven't played it long lately so haven't even build a ship yet nevermind animals lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have your wife get kilt over and over whilst  you shoot it and throw bolas. This is my preferred method. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been on since the wipe (still debating starting all over again.) Assuming taming is the same, I used the billboard method. 

Surround the giraffe with billboards. Make sure it's larger than a pen and it will stop the spinning.  When it's down, stand on the right side around shoulder area and you won't get hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Gomez says, let someone else take the beating and you can rush it and shove a beet down its throat between head swings.

My method is using a bear (high hp) and ramming it head-on to the giraffe so they're stuck together. Beat it down, bola, then stay on the bear to take the swings. Jump off, feed beet, jump back on bear before you get hit. Have a backup bear just in case.

Their sweet spot (at least for me, unless it changed) is similar to the Razortooth - creep up straight to its snout area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can trap it and that no probs it's just a stupid mechanic and should be changed I think the fact a tame can kill you is daft while it's being tamed.

imagine if we had these mechanics on ark with a giga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Xantria said:

My method is using a bear (high hp) and ramming it head-on to the giraffe so they're stuck together. Beat it down, bola, then stay on the bear to take the swings. Jump off, feed beet, jump back on bear before you get hit. Have a backup bear just in case.

But first put the bear passive, or it will attack the giraffe as soon as you jump down to feed the giraffe 🙂

Another good method is, ramming the giraffe with bear, bola down, park your bear away (the giraffe will have aggro on your bear, not on you), and in plate armor with sheild you can crouch toward to the head and feed him. During the feeding always keep up the block (check your keybinding for blocking with the shield) - just in case - so you can minimize the incoming dmg.

And always use the best taming food in the process!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wear platemail you can take more hits that way 😄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a diving attachment and go make some treasure dives.  Then buy a giraffe.  The only reason I would try to tame one on my own is if I decided to become a tame farmer.  If you're just going to use it to farm thatch, it's not worth the frustration.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best way is to just use a bear to tank it and no trap. With traps, the giraffe clips into the trap and when the system does a collision check it shifts the giraffe which is what causes the spinning crap.  

Find a nice wide open spot, sit on the bear, swipe it down till it's low, then just bola. If it's out in the open with no terrain clipping around it you should be able to tame it easier. 

It's a junk system that they just need to redo. I vote bring in the ARK torpor/knockout system instead of this bola crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 6:29 AM, Sydhart said:

The best way is to just use a bear to tank it and no trap. With traps, the giraffe clips into the trap and when the system does a collision check it shifts the giraffe which is what causes the spinning crap.  

Find a nice wide open spot, sit on the bear, swipe it down till it's low, then just bola. If it's out in the open with no terrain clipping around it you should be able to tame it easier. 

It's a junk system that they just need to redo. I vote bring in the ARK torpor/knockout system instead of this bola crap.

After 3700+ hours in Ark, no, anything but that system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

After 3700+ hours in Ark, no, anything but that system.

I played Ark long before Atlas.  No way I want to go back to 7 hour tames.  Let's just go with food on a stick for feeding.  Hell you don't even have to make a stick model.  Just use the fishing pole and attach meat.

Edited by McDangles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tamed other difficult things but never an actual giraffe..

 

That being said pre wipe i was going to dabble w incorporating a shield into the above mentioned methods on frustrating tames. Heard maybe that might help a bit also..

 

Also heard about a method w multiple people using grapple hooks but, just to be clear, i never got around to it i was lucky enough to find a good breeder..

 

Maybe someone else could elaborate more regarding shields and grappples as an aid..

 

**woops just noticed shield in mentioned above my bad

Edited by Ranger1k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

Tamed other difficult things but never an actual giraffe..

 

That being said pre wipe i was going to dabble w incorporating a shield into the above mentioned methods on frustrating tames. Heard maybe that might help a bit also..

 

Also heard about a method w multiple people using grapple hooks but, just to be clear, i never got around to it i was lucky enough to find a good breeder..

 

Maybe someone else could elaborate more regarding shields and grappples as an aid..

 

**woops just noticed shield in mentioned above my bad

All of these things are frankly stupid shit that doesn't need to be part of the taming system.  Billboards traps?  Stupid.  Wall and foundation traps?  Stupid.  Even more stupid that they clutter the area and people leave them up and locked so you can accidentally fall in them.  Multiple anything sucks for the solo players.  I'm not saying they shouldn't have an advantage but they already have a huge fucking advantage of being able to rotate people to feed the fucking asshole animal they are trying to tame.  The rest of it is purely academic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't offering commentary on the validity of the overall system, just some helpful tidbits based on current game mechanics...

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, Sydhart said:

The best way is to just use a bear to tank it and no trap. With traps, the giraffe clips into the trap and when the system does a collision check it shifts the giraffe which is what causes the spinning crap.  

Find a nice wide open spot, sit on the bear, swipe it down till it's low, then just bola. If it's out in the open with no terrain clipping around it you should be able to tame it easier. 

It's a junk system that they just need to redo. I vote bring in the ARK torpor/knockout system instead of this bola crap.

Wipe incoming? 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...