Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
UncleMike

I wish there was good news for PVE

Recommended Posts

On 3/22/2019 at 6:21 AM, MrMagoo said:

Well maybe you need to read the rules of the forum, I will highlight them for you.

 

Posting:
When creating a post, make sure that it’s in in the correct category. Your topic may be moved without warning by a First Mate if it is placed in the wrong category. Avoid duplicate topics where applicable. Refrain from shrieking and squawking like a parrot in all caps and using extremely large fonts in your posts. Limit your topic post tags to a maximum of 10 total tags. Failure to do so may result in yer copping an edit from a First Mate. 

If you would like your topic removed, please report the topic and let a First Mate know in the description. If you are requesting a server advertisement post to be removed, please await the removal before posting a new topic to avoid receiving a warning for having duplicate advertisements.

4. You are not allowed alternate forum accounts.

YOU HIGHLIGHT 4 LIKE I DID THIS. NO NO ACCUSE ON THINGS NOT DONE. THIS MAIN ACCOUNT, I SUBMITTED MY DOCTORS FORM TO ADMIN ALREADY SO YOU NO KNOW WHAT IS GOIN ON. MAYBE YOU SHOULD ASK WHY I DO IN PRIVATE BEFORE YOU JUDGE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BUBBALOOEY said:

YOU HIGHLIGHT 4 LIKE I DID THIS. NO NO ACCUSE ON THINGS NOT DONE. THIS MAIN ACCOUNT, I SUBMITTED MY DOCTORS FORM TO ADMIN ALREADY SO YOU NO KNOW WHAT IS GOIN ON. MAYBE YOU SHOULD ASK WHY I DO IN PRIVATE BEFORE YOU JUDGE.

i see you are still typing in caps for the attention you so badly seek , despite it being highlighted above as a no no 

Edited by UDO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2019 at 11:21 AM, MrMagoo said:

Well maybe you need to read the rules of the forum, I will highlight them for you.

 

Posting:
When creating a post, make sure that it’s in in the correct category. Your topic may be moved without warning by a First Mate if it is placed in the wrong category. Avoid duplicate topics where applicable. Refrain from shrieking and squawking like a parrot in all caps and using extremely large fonts in your posts. Limit your topic post tags to a maximum of 10 total tags. Failure to do so may result in yer copping an edit from a First Mate. 

If you would like your topic removed, please report the topic and let a First Mate know in the description. If you are requesting a server advertisement post to be removed, please await the removal before posting a new topic to avoid receiving a warning for having duplicate advertisements.

4. You are not allowed alternate forum accounts.

Tad hypocritical.. the forum has no issues with putting our names in ALL CAPS but then they demand we don't type in them..!!?  As for Bubba I for one am glad he types in all caps, as I don't need my glasses to read it.  Now anychance we can stop the trolling of some disabled guy and get back to the topic of pve..

Edited by Martyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BUBBALOOEY said:

YOU HIGHLIGHT 4 LIKE I DID THIS. NO NO ACCUSE ON THINGS NOT DONE. THIS MAIN ACCOUNT, I SUBMITTED MY DOCTORS FORM TO ADMIN ALREADY SO YOU NO KNOW WHAT IS GOIN ON. MAYBE YOU SHOULD ASK WHY I DO IN PRIVATE BEFORE YOU JUDGE.

Atlas forums so easy even a caveman can do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

Atlas forums so easy even a caveman can do it!

BUBBALOOEY LIKE THAT COMERCIAL!. WHEN I SEE COMPLAIN I TELL OTHER LOOK AT ME I CAN DO WHAT I LIKE YOU CAN TOO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 12:53 PM, DannyUK said:

There's quite a few people coming back to the game I hear, now they have allowed everyone to build on islands people are giving it another go rather than before where you couldn't find land. There is so much they could do to improve the game, I'm having fun with it at the moment anyway.

Yeah but those of us unlucky enough to be forced to build on an island already claimed will have to pay 'taxes' to the 'owning company'. And I'm sorry, thats just wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sansa Phoenix said:

Yeah but those of us unlucky enough to be forced to build on an island already claimed will have to pay 'taxes' to the 'owning company'. And I'm sorry, thats just wrong

We've had to pay taxes since day one of this game, at least now my taxes actually stand for something instead of fueling all my neighbors houses and boat collections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sansa Phoenix said:

Yeah but those of us unlucky enough to be forced to build on an island already claimed will have to pay 'taxes' to the 'owning company'. And I'm sorry, thats just wrong

Taxes are the least of my worries.   Some people have said they're looking forward to the changes so they can "have land" or they can build.  I'm not sure they understand what that means.  In the old system, a claim was a certain size.  You're not guaranteed that amount of space now, or any space at all really.  Whoever owns the island can give you enough space for a medium shipyard and a hut, or no space at all, or what seems like a good space, but then destroy all your buildings if they don't like them.  The owner could let someone build almost right on top of "your space", or all around it.   

Some people will find decent landlords and get a good space and be pretty much left alone and be happy.  Some will not.  Because the game isn't giving you a space, some other player is, and you're going to be dependent on other players to behave well.  So, what the hell, let's give that a try.  Maybe we'll make gaming history.  🤣

Edited by Winter Thorne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's the thing... Why would you live on an island with a crappy landlord?

Before, once you had your land claimed you were pretty much forced to live there and endure whatever hardships came your way, because if you just packed up all your stuff on a ship, unclaimed the land and sailed off into the sunset there's a good chance you wouldn't find another place to build.

Now, you can build anywhere on any island, most likely with a stipulation that you talk to the land owner first (which you should want to do anyway to see what they're like) so if a place doesn't suit you you're free to find any other spot that suits you better.

And when you do find an island with a good land owner, if they are indeed a good landlord they're taking the time out of their day - time they could be spending farming their own resources - to ensure that everyone else is taken care of and happy. So why shouldn't they get some small amount of resources as due compensation?

If they're not doing anything to earn that keep, well, there are other islands and you have more freedom than they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Kidori said:

Well that's the thing... Why would you live on an island with a crappy landlord?

Before, once you had your land claimed you were pretty much forced to live there and endure whatever hardships came your way, because if you just packed up all your stuff on a ship, unclaimed the land and sailed off into the sunset there's a good chance you wouldn't find another place to build.

Now, you can build anywhere on any island, most likely with a stipulation that you talk to the land owner first (which you should want to do anyway to see what they're like) so if a place doesn't suit you you're free to find any other spot that suits you better.

And when you do find an island with a good land owner, if they are indeed a good landlord they're taking the time out of their day - time they could be spending farming their own resources - to ensure that everyone else is taken care of and happy. So why shouldn't they get some small amount of resources as due compensation?

If they're not doing anything to earn that keep, well, there are other islands and you have more freedom than they do.

Well, we'll see if it works out that way.  Maybe it will.  Maybe there will be no place else to go when you need to pack up and go.  I'm wondering how many "good" spots there will be.  Drop all the bad landlords, drop the ones not in your timezone where you can't ever talk to them, or the ones that don't speak the language you do.  Drop the  ones who have already let people build that you wouldn't want to be anywhere near, and I'm thinking it's not going to be so simple.    And the effort involved in figuring all that out at each island you go to is going to be big.  Much bigger than just looking for a claim. People get frustrated with it after a while.

I don't mind taxes.  I mind them less to someone who's area I'm just running through gathering mats than I do to someone who owns an entire island just by virtue of getting there first, but even that I don't mind so much, because they're getting taxed for the place.  I really don't see  landlords that will be spending all their time making sure everyone is happy instead of doing what they want to do for themselves.  Sure, they'll have daily duties - they need to patrol for spam and unwanted newcomers, but that's just protecting their own island.  If there are more than 1 or 2 playing island concierge, I'd be surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the new system kinda being like this, whom ever is able to claim the island will have some control of buildings and such, more then likely if it doesn’t directly affect where they want to build then everything else is going to be fair game.  Think of lawless, they won’t be patrolling the island looking for anything, there will be certain resources in their vicinity that they will not want anyone building on top of but won’t give two thoughts about the rest of the island.

  Everyone else who builds on these islands will live like lawless, 1st come 1st serve. If you and a neighbor want space between you then you’ll have to do foundation spamming or pillars one. 

   Now everyone who lives on someone else’s island or anyone who visits the island will be charged a tax, the taxes will go towards the claim flag upkeep.  I’d say that is going to be the basis of the new claim system. 

  A few people have will have a option to own most of the island that have nothing on it and will be tasked with keeping up the flag themself.   They’ve already stated that the upkeep would be based on the island size and number of companies on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

Drop all the bad landlords, drop the ones not in your timezone where you can't ever talk to them, or the ones that don't speak the language you do.

There is always the option to leave Notes now.  🙂

I had a small storage box outside my base labeled as a "mailbox" and even once or twice had people leave Notes or BP's before.  Where-ever I put down I'd encourage the land-lord of the island to do the same so new visitors can leave Notes for when the land-lord logs in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CoopedUp said:

There is always the option to leave Notes now.  🙂

I had a small storage box outside my base labeled as a "mailbox" and even once or twice had people leave Notes or BP's before.  Where-ever I put down I'd encourage the land-lord of the island to do the same so new visitors can leave Notes for when the land-lord logs in.

From March 12th -

But still, how long do you expect people to sail around trying to find land?  Sail for a few hours, drop anchor, leave a note, wait 24 hours..no reply or bad reply, rinse repeat..all just for permission to build on someone else's land and follow their rules, pay them taxes, etc.  (.keeping in mind that people joining the game expect to start out, sail off, and find a piece of land they can own and develop they way they like) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's a first come, first served system, that we as humanity have been using for over 5,000 yrs.  You find empty land, you lay claim to it, or you live there and say the land owns you.. If someone elses comes, they have to find empty land. 

Foundations and Pillers, Gates etc will "claim" your area.  Noone will be able to build within your area.  It'll be like Ark.. Walls of Gates, peppered landscapes with pillers everywhere.  There will come a time when people leave and their land still cannot be claimed for a period of time, there will be times when someone just logs in every two weeks to refresh the claims.  But there will be times when you can.  Because the land is effectively empty.

As for landlords.. yes this is a very exploitable system.  Like in Eve for example, you can make a friend, join with them, make a company, add more people, until there's thousands of you.  Then you could kick everyone out and sell all their stuff, because it'd be all your stuff.  Any company owner or tribe owner in Atlas or Ark or Eve can do this... every single one of them could do it.  But will they?

That's life folks.. If you want your own cake.. find an empty island, make it yours, you become the landowner.. how will you treat everyone else? Like you'd like them to treat you? Or..

Be a man of action, not a man of words. (or woman, or whatever those others think they're called)

Edited by Martyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Foundations and Pillers, Gates etc will "claim" your area.  Noone will be able to build within your area.  It'll be like Ark.. Walls of Gates, peppered landscapes with pillers everywhere.  There will come a time when people leave and their land still cannot be claimed for a period of time, there will be times when someone just logs in every two weeks to refresh the claims.  But there will be times when you can.  Because the land is effectively empty.

I don't think that's how it works.

You can try putting up foundations and pillars, but if it's not your land, the landlord can just destroy them.   It's not going to be up to you what your area is, unless you have a landlord who just doesn't care what happens, and then yes, the place will be full of pillar spam.  If you have an active landlord, you get what he says you get, you don't get to "claim an area".

20 minutes ago, Martyn said:

As for landlords.. yes this is a very exploitable system.  Like in Eve for example, you can make a friend, join with them, make a company, add more people, until there's thousands of you.  Then you could kick everyone out and sell all their stuff, because it'd be all your stuff.  Any company owner or tribe owner in Atlas or Ark or Eve can do this... every single one of them could do it.  But will they?

 

It's always been like that in general, but I don't think it applies to the new tenant/landlord system.  If you're a tenant, you're not in the landlord's company, and once the 12hr/Xhr limit is up, they can't just take your stuff and destroy it.  If you are in the landlord's company, they could always do that anyway.

 

30 minutes ago, Martyn said:

It's a first come, first served system, that we as humanity have been using for over 5,000 yrs.  You find empty land, you lay claim to it, or you live there and say the land owns you.. If someone elses comes, they have to find empty land. 

 

That's a bogus argument.  For one thing, this is a game.  Games have rules designed to make them fun.  They don't have to mirror real life.  For another thing,  they system you're talking about also includes over 5000 years of bloody warfare.  That system is in use on the pvp servers, because they can have bloody warfare.  On pve, you can't, so it can't be the same system.  Pve provides no mechanism for taking someone else's land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are people obsessed with landlords being able to kick people on PvE, they can't kick you.

It's so simple, the only thing landlords can do if they really want someone off their land is to sit there 24/7 and destroy anything they build. Even that is still not kicking people from the land.

Most landlords are going to want to play properly. So lets stop this obsession of being kicked when landlords can't kick you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Why are people obsessed with landlords being able to kick people on PvE, they can't kick you.

It's so simple, the only thing landlords can do if they really want someone off their land is to sit there 24/7 and destroy anything they build. Even that is still not kicking people from the land.

People are complaining about a number of things, not just getting kicked off an island.

Landlords don't have to sit 24/7.  They only have to check in once every X hours.  (Used to be 12, now it will be longer).

It's easy as hell to get someone off your land if you care enough about it.  Pinwheel their stuff, then build enough things there that they can't come back.  

It's also easy as hell to make a landlord's life a misery by continuing to try to build when they don't' want you there.

That's some great game design for passive-aggressive stubborn people, isn't it?

43 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Most landlords are going to want to play properly. 

Do you have any evidence of that?  What does "properly" mean anyway?

If I'm a landlord, I don't want ugly box builds and I don't want d00d-type players that can't follow the code of conduct and have creepy character and company names.  So I'm kicking those people off my island.   From their point of view, they are a player who keeps getting kicked off an island.  Neither one of us is very happy about it.

If I'm not a landlord and my landlord plays "properly" by not kicking people off the island, I'm stuck living next to d00d-types and ugly boxes and pillar spam.  So nobody is complaining about getting kicked off an island, but now it's just like lawless and nobody liked that either.  

It's just a terrible system where everyone can be equally griefed by whatever bad players wander by or grab up some land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

Do you have any evidence of that?  What does "properly" mean anyway?

PVE, most of the idiots are on PVP.

 

Edited by Jack Shandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

PVE, most of the idiots are on PVP.

 

That's not evidence.

I play on pve.  I've seen plenty of potential bad landlords there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I've seen plenty of potential bad landlords there.

On a completely different, more competitive system.

We've yet to play this new one, so we can't know for sure. But I think there will be a lot more communication on the new system and that in itself can smooth over a lot of rough edges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

I don't think that's how it works.

You can try putting up foundations and pillars, but if it's not your land, the landlord can just destroy them.   It's not going to be up to you what your area is, unless you have a landlord who just doesn't care what happens, and then yes, the place will be full of pillar spam.  If you have an active landlord, you get what he says you get, you don't get to "claim an area".

It's always been like that in general, but I don't think it applies to the new tenant/landlord system.  If you're a tenant, you're not in the landlord's company, and once the 12hr/Xhr limit is up, they can't just take your stuff and destroy it.  If you are in the landlord's company, they could always do that anyway.

 

That's a bogus argument.  For one thing, this is a game.  Games have rules designed to make them fun.  They don't have to mirror real life.  For another thing,  they system you're talking about also includes over 5000 years of bloody warfare.  That system is in use on the pvp servers, because they can have bloody warfare.  On pve, you can't, so it can't be the same system.  Pve provides no mechanism for taking someone else's land.

You haz issues bud.  But whatever.

Point 1 - You are also guessing. 

Point 2 - Landlord can destroy your stuff, whilst you're offline, then just pick up your bags, making it his stuff.  Unless they lock the bags.

Point 3 - Pvp has the flag claim system.  So they can fight over land.

5 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Why are people obsessed with landlords being able to kick people on PvE, they can't kick you.

It's so simple, the only thing landlords can do if they really want someone off their land is to sit there 24/7 and destroy anything they build. Even that is still not kicking people from the land.

Most landlords are going to want to play properly. So lets stop this obsession of being kicked when landlords can't kick you.

Until we know what is or isn't noone knows what a landlord can or cannot do.  But guess.  I'm just pointing out pros n cons.  Not facts.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

That's not evidence.

I play on pve.  I've seen plenty of potential bad landlords there.

What is a potential bad landlord? Oh right.. everyone else..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Martyn said:

Until we know what is or isn't noone knows what a landlord can or cannot do.  But guess.  I'm just pointing out pros n cons.  Not facts.

We know what landlords can do.

They can destroy structures only inside a 12 hour window (maybe longer) from the moment they are placed on the claimed land. They can also set a tax rate for the claimed land.

That's it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get this idea that "We don't really know what's happening until we try it on the ptr"  I mean, I agree that we won't know the results of how the players will use and abuse the system, but we do know what the system is, because it says it right there in the patch notes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×