Sign in to follow this  
gumbyc

Pirates don't pay taxes

Can someone explain to me the need for a tax system? Who likes to pay taxes? For someone/company to own an island and create a settlement there must be a tax bank? Again, why?

I understand there must be a cost for someone to buy an island. Normally this would be required to prevent someone/company from owning too much at little cost to them, however there is going to be a limit on the number of claims they can have.  Why on PVE is there a need for a settlement when there is no raiding?

Please explain the rationale behind the need for taxes. If someone wants to buy an island, let them pay for it, don’t change me just for living there. Pirates are outlaws who don’t obey the laws. Aren’t they supposed to rape, pillage and plunder? Plunder = The violent and dishonest acquisition of property.

Please excuse my simplicity of the subject. I’m a simple man with a simple plan.  

3 minutes ago, gumbyc said:

Aren’t they supposed to rape, pillage and plunder? Plunder = The violent and dishonest acquisition of property.

Not really, most pirates only resorted to violence if need. While there were pirates who did plunder and murder etc. It was mostly just hearing the word pirates that struck fear in people. But not all pirate were plunderers. But i get your point, and i like the idea behind a settlement, but i don't really see it working in PVE like it would on PVP

Historically pirates did pay tax to their captains the whole crew would take a share. If the captain was a jerk the crew would mutiny. The new claim system on pvp will allow you to overthrow your island owner if they are a jerk during raid windows. You can make your own raid window by buying a war token. The power is with the tenants of the island in this case. It is a form of democracy. This means it is the responibilty of the claim owner to be fair to the other people living on the island. 

Being the claim owner will be very difficult if you are a jerk in the new update. If you charge too much tax then you will be replaced. If raiders come I believe the claim owners tax bank will be the primary target of a raid. Claim owners will need to be fair as they are reliant on the tax from the other companies to maintain upkeep of the island. 

If your claim owner is a jerk on pve I suggest you pillar off their base and block  their ships in with your ships. You could even wall of their base or the entire island with the rest of the people living on the island. To get rid of the claim owner. The upkeep will be the burden of the island owner in this case. Effectively you can hold the island ransom until the claim owner stops being a jerk in pve. 

Just some ideas on the topic of tax and how to “pirate” your way out of paying too much. 

Good luck with it my dude. I hope this was helpful. 

Additionally if you really want to role play as a pirate you can simply just live on ships. Yes, you will pay tax to build a schooner or brig in the first instance if you are building it on someone else’s island ( and I’m sure they will allow you to because you are paying tax and also effectively just passing through, not intending to stay after your ships are built) after your ships are built turn one of those ships into a “home base” and just park it near an island with raid protection. When the raid window comes to that island you can just move your home base ship to another island that is raid protected. This will mean your “ home base ship” will be invulnerable. Forever. 

with the new system you won't be able to "pillar off his base".  The owner of the island can destroy any structure at any time on pve.  the most that you could hope for is that the owner would not have enough in taxes to pay for the island and they would lose it.  At least that is what i am getting from the patch notes.

Just now, bitemyass said:

with the new system you won't be able to "pillar off his base".  The owner of the island can destroy any structure at any time on pve.  the most that you could hope for is that the owner would not have enough in taxes to pay for the island and they would lose it.  At least that is what i am getting from the patch notes.

No, the settlement owner can destroy structures only in the initial 12 hour period (or however long they make it) after the structure has been placed. After that period they can't destroy structures.

58 minutes ago, gumbyc said:

Aren’t they supposed to rape, pillage and plunder? Plunder = The violent and dishonest acquisition of property.

Yes but PVE players said no that will hurt my feelings, so now you are no longer permitted to do that on PVP servers. We must all hold hands and be nice.

Its a little snowflake game now, albeit a very dead one.

Edited by Bullet Force

It was never the intent on PVE., although It's the whole idea of PVP isn't it?

Seriously, what the plus side of paying taxes on PVE?

Most of the new claim system applies to PVP, on PVE There is no claim system just buildings that decay over time that must be maintained to keep buildings from decaying. This is most likely going to be a range limited structure that will become increasingly more expensive to maintain based on the number of these auto repair buildings you place.

edit: then they change their minds.

Edited by MaxDredd
  • Thanks 1

Because it's a game?

Why there be dragons ? aarrrg

Where are the red coats to hunt ye' ?

Remind me when Pirates fought Cyclopes, Hydras, rode Dragons (only Drake was Sir Francis), etc?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bitemyass said:

Tax rate to high?
Talk to the land owner, if they don't lower it to a reasonable rate farm your resources on the next island over, they will still have upkeep and no taxes to pay for it.
Remember that 0% is not a reasonable rate for a populated island as they still have to pay upkeep but 5-10% is acceptable depending on island size and how active the tenants are.
Personally I would look at a tax rate of around 5% ish for a group of very active people on an island.
You will find that if the tenants aren't farming enough to pay for the island the tax rate will go up, if it goes up too high the tenants will farm on a neighbours patch or they will leave, either way full upkeep, no tax.
It will be a very delicate balance that needs to be maintained by the land owner and anyone scalping their tenants will find themselves with an empty island and a huge tax bill.

• Like 1

So people flood the forums to keep land claims in PvE...
WC Listens and adds it back to PvE for the update...
People now complain about land claims coming back to PvE in new update...
#feelzbadman

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WildWyvern20 said:

So people flood the forums to keep land claims in PvE...
WC Listens and adds it back to PvE for the update...
People now complain about land claims coming back to PvE in new update...
#feelzbadman

Because they only half listened and they are trying to maintain systems between PvE and PvP,

The PvE people wanted ~5 Claim flags they could place that would stop people building in that area, thats it, no tax, no whole islands, no upkeep etc just 5 small flags to stake a claim. Of course the people are going to start complaining because they haven't actually solved the issue.

People can still pillar the island owners base if they go away for a day because they don't have the ability to demo anything after that time.
They have made the landlords impotent where they should have been trying to make them single island player selected "mods".

• Like 1