Bowtie

Let ships made of blueprint pieces have a higher level cap than default.

I build a schooner out of legendary planks and decks with mythical sails and cannons. Because this ship is not some ordinary common ship, it should be capable of higher levels.

A fine ship should be able to get a few more levels than a common, then journeyman higher than fine, etc.

Maybe give point scores to ship pieces, and as the score goes up, so does the level cap. Kinda like discovery points.

• Like 2

I second this suggestion. A fine idea to add depth to the game and further reward for acquiring not only better blueprints, but the mats to use them.

Ones they get shot off, what happens then? Ship loses levels if it gets common planks on it? Rather see BPs for the shipyards that does this. Ie. Get a schooner bp that sets max lvl to 50 or something

2 hours ago, Zlax said:

Ones they get shot off, what happens then? Ship loses levels if it gets common planks on it? Rather see BPs for the shipyards that does this. Ie. Get a schooner bp that sets max lvl to 50 or something

A fair counterpoint. Maybe shipyard would be the better option. Would make it have a reason to exist.

2 hours ago, Zlax said:

Leave it at max level but then weaken the replacement party by a % based on how many bonus levels there are.

They could also add level up bonuses to the bps, like allowing a masterwork plankng to give .1 or .05 accomodation per plank.  Basically you get the effects of levels rather than the levels directly

Edited by Archsenex
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bowtie said:

I build a schooner out of legendary planks and decks with mythical sails and cannons. Because this ship is not some ordinary common ship, it should be capable of higher levels.

A fine ship should be able to get a few more levels than a common, then journeyman higher than fine, etc.

Maybe give point scores to ship pieces, and as the score goes up, so does the level cap. Kinda like discovery points.

How would they implement this very vague idea? How could you calculate it from various random building parts?

It's surprising how many folks on this forum seem to have no understanding of game design when they give these kind of suggestions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullet Force said:

How would they implement this very vague idea? How could you calculate it from various random building parts?

It's surprising how many folks on this forum seem to have no understanding of game design when they give these kind of suggestions.

Make BPs for ship hulls, let us craft the better hulls in shipyard, there's your level cap increase. 

Not that hard

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing that as a mechanic although I honestly think the cap on ships should be increased regardless. The unofficial I am on has the base level for ships raised to 71. The experience really starts slowing down in the 50s. You have to sink high level ships to get a good amount of exp into a level. The Galleon we are currently leveling pretty much takes them down in two volleys of our stern cannons though. Hoping ships eventually can also hit level 100, this would make their max weight reach where I think it ought to be for end game or close to it. Although ships are still far to easy to take out on official so I doubt you will see many ships reach those levels there.

I am also annoyed how often a common blueprint will surpass a masterwork blueprint in quality. Why is the range for a common not locked between A and B with the next tier up starting at B to C for Fine, C to D for Journeyman, D to E Legendary, then E to F for Masterwork, then F to G for Mythic. I can understand if you want a little overlap between the tiers. But I have far to often found masterworks from specifically grinding out high level ghost ships and maps give me Masterwork and Mythic tier stuff at 105% or even barely over 100% with commons that give me 115%. I have thrown out so many higher tier schematics that were surpassed by a lower tier which took far less effort to create and outfit my boat with superior cannons to the higher tier stuff.

Same goes for armor, weapons and tools. We have legendary picks with 167% weapon damage base 80 dur 5 upgrades. Today I found a masterwork with 10 upgrades 110 base durability and was super stoked until I saw the weapon damage is 110%, so the easier to make legendary is actually better for gathering. Even if I crafted the masterwork and spent all the upgrades into weapon damage it wouldn't even come close since each level on weapon damage is a few % at most.

i am not a fan of the blueprints. 90% is garbage. i find it better if we could improve our ships by lvlups like +hp +cannonrange +turningspeed +ramdmg etc

*edit*

another idea. we have so many different types of wood why not just remove the stupid blueprint system and give the materials itself stats. lets say i build a ship with "strongwood" it will have more hp or with "lightwood" ligther but less hp?

Edited by TheCoolGuy

I agree the ships HP should be increased a lot more than it is. Two well placed broadsides shouldn't leave a ship sinking with a bunch of its panels missing. A few flame jars shouldn't take a panel off. I would rather see much higher hp and hole patching added for shots below the waterline if they do enough damage. running around with pitch and fiber jamming it into the holes/cracks from the splintered wood. ship health could be one metric which is in reference to how well repaired the wood/sails is across the entire boat. Adding levels to health could increase this health. They could add another one showing the hull from a front on cut away view that shows how much water is in the boat. Taking multiple broadsides without running around patching (npcs should be able to do this at a rate, having more should let them be fixed quicker) where you use pitch (I mean I guess we can use organic paste although we ought to have to cook oil to make pitch and then mix it with fiber)  and the the ship slowly takes on water from the holes if the hull fills with water the ship sinks. More holes = faster sinking. Could also allow npcs to use buckets if that isn't already a thing. Also could add a screw pump or something as a sump in the bottom of the boat which can help to a degree but ultimately keep up for minimal water leakage. Sinking a ship out to take a hell of a lot of work, many many broadsides and be something which feels like you actually achieved it at the end. Currently it is very easy to sink ships.

2 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

Not surprising that a critic doesn't comprehend what they failed to read.

Get a clue and go reread what I wrote about ship parts having a new value placed on them that the sum of which can increase a ships level cap. And if you lose a piece, you don't lose ship xp either.

The current level cap for ships is too low, so that's why I've written about an idea that takes care of that, and also incentivizes the use of ship blue prints. Especially neglected ones like wooden ceilings, staircases, doors, ship resource box, larder, etc.

Too many people are sailing in junky common ships, and they need a carrot on a stick to build finer ships.

4 minutes ago, kampfer91 said:

i wish the dockyard bp give better level ship when build...

This would be the best option, since components used can always be changed.

1 hour ago, kampfer91 said:

i wish the dockyard bp give better level ship when build...

Imo if they plan to do something like this, it would be a much better option if they just add ship bps with limited runs instead of giving you a magical workbench that give you infinite runs of improved crap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, znasser said:

Imo if they plan to do something like this, it would be a much better option if they just add ship bps with limited runs instead of giving you a magical workbench that give you infinite runs of improved crap.

Oh yes, this would also require people to keep getting new BP supplies instead of just getting mythical class ships in masses.

9 hours ago, Thiil said:

Make BPs for ship hulls, let us craft the better hulls in shipyard, there's your level cap increase. 

Not that hard

Thats what I meant, you explained it alot better though

8 hours ago, Bowtie said:

Not surprising that a critic doesn't comprehend what they failed to read.

Get a clue and go reread what I wrote about ship parts having a new value placed on them that the sum of which can increase a ships level cap. And if you lose a piece, you don't lose ship xp either.

The current level cap for ships is too low, so that's why I've written about an idea that takes care of that, and also incentivizes the use of ship blue prints. Especially neglected ones like wooden ceilings, staircases, doors, ship resource box, larder, etc.

Too many people are sailing in junky common ships, and they need a carrot on a stick to build finer ships.

There are plenty of reasons to build said items, um guessing you play pve though where those reasons dont matter to the same degree