D:Lakes

ALL my ships SUNK

Yesterday evening (after about 12 hours since the last login) I found all my ships destroyed, 2 sloops and 1 schooner, anchored near the shore, in lawless region (G8) near my home, how is it possible in a server pve? help me please...

I heard sotd are back attacking ships close to shore now, don't know if its true or not, 

Alternative possibility wave action during a storm smashed them against the sea floor. 

Another possible cause is storm damage. 

Another possible cause overweighted players hanging off your ladders or throwing items onto your deck. 

I'm sure there are other possibilities 

I tell you : Overencumbered chinese with grappling hooks. Perfect PVE trolling.

I hope you retracted the ladder ? Overencumbered chinese climbing the rope ladder also works to sink ships on PVE.

• Like 1

I dont retracted the ladder. :( but how do they get on board??? if I try to get on a ship not mine, my pg is blocked. It's only a my problem? 

so how to defend yourself? I lost days of "work" in 5 minutes :(

The game was poorly thought out and they are spending more time adding in more crap like different SoD instead of balancing and fixes to things that run players away

I wonder when the developers understand that some of their mechanics can not work. Weight and Crew Limit are invitations to every human asshole to mess up another player's game.

I think the easiest thing is to remove weight for solve this problem. so it is unplayable or make sure that the ship is blocked but does not sink when it is overweight. No???

Removing weight isn't the issue nor is player limit, these are good things otherwise people could load 100 people on a sloop and carry 10000 metal.

They could remove weight if you aren't in the company but this could also be abused.

Keep people off your boat deck in PVE works unless you want someone on the deck like an ally. One possibility is to remove the weight when anchored.

I know in PVP its either sinking by fire arrows or overloading boats when offline. I pretty much expect and plan to build a new ship if I plan to sail when I login. Some days my boat will be there for a few days in a row but most days I have to make a new one.

• Thanks 1

You are right, but you need to compare the impact. The current situation for the players is worse than when you can transport 10k metal on the sloop. As you have already noticed, the two approaches are currently not reconcilable.

Just crawl when overloaded/overcrewed. if someone wish to sail between islands at 0.1km/h that's fine with me.

Fully agree with tezcatlipoca and shintai. 

The important thing is that they do something, the submarine can wait -.-

Another benefit with no limit would also be that people would actually be able to use a ship as a base and not have a need for claim. The claim owners would equally get more resources back in taxes and lawless islands could be a lot less burdened.

For a PVE server:

Since the change that will not allow non-company or non-allies from getting on ship ladders; Grapeshot could also make a coded argument to make it so that non-company/allies weight or crew number would not count or calculate unless there is at least one logged in company player that owns that same ship. This would also be true for non-company/allies own tames or wild animals counting as crew member loads. Once a Company member logs in, all non-company tames and wild animals then slide off of ship(s) into the water as a reset and other non-company/allies players weight/crew count would then work again. This would not fix the problem while a company member that owns the ship is logged in but if everyone logs off for several hours and enjoy life outside, the idiots will move on or waste hours hanging on the ship doing nothing. 

It is kind of like a log out protection that takes effect after a given time after all company members log out so to prevent exploits.

The biggest advantage to "anchored ships don't lose health on pve" is that its future proof.  Right now, they are playing whack a mole to fix exploits one by one.  And forgetting things (ladders).

The current approach requires them to fix other players weight on ships, then weight on ladders, then the fact that you can leave a ship undocked next to an enemy so tornadoes hit it, THEN the fact that you can kite sotd against other ships, THEN whatever else people come up with.

If they constantly only approach what people are doing at that second, they will never hit their goal as long as they keep adding content. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

The biggest advantage to "anchored ships don't lose health on pve" is that its future proof.  Right now, they are playing whack a mole to fix exploits one by one.  And forgetting things (ladders). 

The current approach requires them to fix other players weight on ships, then weight on ladders, then the fact that you can leave a ship undocked next to an enemy so tornadoes hit it, THEN the fact that you can kite sotd against other ships, THEN whatever else people come up with.

If they constantly only approach what people are doing at that second, they will never hit their goal as long as they keep adding content. 

Exactly. The only true fix to is to removing weight sinking and damage (at least offline damage) while anchored in PVE... otherwise the devs are going to be chasing down PVE sinking exploits for months (or not since they don't seem to care much about the problem).

Just turn on offline raid protection in PVE. Our stuff would take no damage as long as it still belongs to us (hasn't been claimed by others), or the timer has run out (for lawless zones). This simple change, that is already in the Ark code, would make the game playable.

-If you don't play for a day or two, you can expect to find everthing still there (after all, it's PVE)

-You have time to immediately check your ships for weight and your tames for food when you get on

Actually I would suggest the same for PVP, with the exception to include a timer after logoff before raid protection kicks in. The way it is now you need players in your tribe online 24/7, and i would prefer to stay less than 500 members in my company.

Storms or Players sitting on your ship with 50k weight. Stop playing on PvE servers. Its not safer. You simply can't defend yourself. On PvP servers you can simply kill players before they even get near your ship with crew if you know what you are doing. PvE is like sex with no orgasm.

20 hours ago, D:Lakes said:

Yesterday evening (after about 12 hours since the last login) I found all my ships destroyed, 2 sloops and 1 schooner, anchored near the shore, in lawless region (G8) near my home, how is it possible in a server pve? help me please...

1 hour ago, wakko151 said:

Storms or Players sitting on your ship with 50k weight. Stop playing on PvE servers. Its not safer. You simply can't defend yourself. On PvP servers you can simply kill players before they even get near your ship with crew if you know what you are doing. PvE is like sex with no orgasm.

storms????? storms never arrived on the shore,  my ships have been there for a long time.

players 50k weights? to sink a schooner they must have been at least 14 players? no???

13 minutes ago, D:Lakes said:

storms????? storms never arrived on the shore,  my ships have been there for a long time.

players 50k weights? to sink a schooner they must have been at least 14 players? no???

You can get unlimited weight on a single character. When you harvest/demolish it keeps adding up.

You can actually just find a open inventory on someones ship and stuff it full of weight and walk away if they don't secure stations/pestle and mortars behind locked doors. Takes about 5 minutes after a ship is overweight to sink from what I have seen so far. A single player could show up and bring load after load of stone and throw it into an inventory, If that isn't an option a bunch of players could come dump stuff to a single player who can pickup an indefinite amount of weight as long as it's thrown down on the ground in front of them. Then stand on the deck for 5 minutes until it sinks. While you can't see the hud on the ship when on board you can view the ships weight in the inventory panel for the ship you are on to see how much more weight you need. As soon as you surpass this then a yellow weight icon begins flashing by the ships name letting you and everyone around know it's being over weighted. 5 minutes later your ship is loot able and all your stuff is gone. Doesn't even take a zerg to accomplish this task just a determined person or a small group. If you happen to login and kill them you still must remove the weight from their body and get it off the ship within this short timer so you could actually login to see this happening, react and kill them and still have the ship sink due to how quickly it happens. I feel the weight and player limit is important though and don't know the perfect best solution to resolving this from the inevitable people who just play this game to grief others. I still feel the ships weights are a bit low based on the sizes of the ship. One option is to build a boathouse that players cant get onto the ship. A lot of work yes, but on PVE this would stop it at least when your not using the boat and offline. On PVP they would have to break into the boathouse which isn't terribly hard but also for your average person who is looking for a quick minimal effort way to sink your ship will likely look past and go to next easiest target. Definitely something which needs to be fixed sooner than later.

Edited by Thor Ragnarock

The fix is not more code.  The fix is listing things as being an act of griefing, and making this a TOS that you have to accept each time you log in.  This would list things such as sinking another player's ship using crew or weight to do so.  Placing pillars to destroy other people's ships.  Using your ship to block access.  Etc.   Then, they start publicly banning people for these actions.  Once word gets out that they are banning people for these things, they will stop doing them.  I don't understand why this is a tough concept to understand.  People do what they can get away with, and stop doing what gets them in trouble.

I went back to college several years ago.  I had professors deal with tardiness in many different ways.  One, literally did nothing if you showed up late.  Consequently, people showed up late all the time.  On the other hand, one professor would lock the door when class was to start.  The start time was 2:00, so she would show up about 5 minutes before that.  Everyone was standing outside waiting to get in.  When the clock struck 2:00, she locked the door.  You could leave, but not enter.   What this showed with clarity is that if there are no consequences for bad behavior people will act poorly...selfishly.  Yes, it was very disruptive in that class when every 5 minutes throughout the 4 hour class, people decided to show up.  But in the class where you were locked out for being late, the class was better...no disruptions.  But the lesson there is that because there were heavy consequences for showing up late, people did not show up late.  If you missed too many classes, you were dropped.

The same thing here.  If the Devs do not punish bad behavior, there is no incentive to stop.  So long as there are no bans for sinking somebody's ship in PvE, these people will always look for ways to do it.  And so the Devs will have to constantly find ways to defeat them, without causing problems with the other game play aspects.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

You can actually just find a open inventory on someones ship and stuff it full of weight and walk away if they don't secure stations/pestle and mortars behind locked doors. Takes about 5 minutes after a ship is overweight to sink from what I have seen so far. A single player could show up and bring load after load of stone and throw it into an inventory, If that isn't an option a bunch of players could come dump stuff to a single player who can pickup an indefinite amount

Is it so difficult to fix unlimited weight on a lying person? instead of adding new contents fix the exploits first????  the devs kill a game that could be interesting 😞

1 minute ago, D:Lakes said:

Is it so difficult to fix unlimited weight on a lying person? instead of adding new contents fix the exploits first????  the devs kill a game that could be interesting 😞

Unlimited weight on active people. Try keep harvesting/demolishing. There is no limit.