Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Grapeshot: Why can't we sell ships yet?

This seems like a no brainer for a MMO built around sailing ships.

We need the ability to just unclaim a ship and it become owned by whoever claims it next, including all parts on board.

Shipyards building to order should be a thing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

We need the ability to just unclaim a ship and it become owned by whoever claims it next, including all parts on board.

You'd think that ANY mmo released today would have some sort of system to allow you to safely trade with other players to prevent scamming before it even goes live right? Welcome to Atlas.

• Like 2

Naa, they have NPC shops coming to freeports, thats goign to be bad enough

But I get letting scam trades happen, cause then you can kill the person who scammed you

But all the freeport shops will do is let people store things safely, heh.

20 minutes ago, Seren Du said:

ive done a Ikea flat pack Brig in a box to trade for Tames

🤔

Its a strange one in in all seriousness. As it stands, grapeshot have said they never intended people to really trade tames and went out of their way to discourage it, yet it’s ironic! The game has zero economy, the players found their own economy which provided them content, promoted trading and teamwork, and added something good to the game by sheer accident, yet grapeshot don’t want that! It really doesn’t make sense.

Edited by TerrorTrooper

As above.. or build the ship take it there and let them claim it.. 

It's a sandbox so in part it's up to the player to use what systems we currently have in place 😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TerrorTrooper said:

🤔

Its a strange one in in all seriousness. As it stands, grapeshot have said they never intended people to really trade tames and went out of their way to discourage it, yet it’s ironic! The game has zero economy, the players found their own economy which provided them content, promoted trading and teamwork, and added something good to the game by sheer accident, yet grapeshot don’t want that! It really doesn’t make sense.

Oi you aint got time to be on the forums you should be replenishing stock!! lol

33 minutes ago, Seren Du said:

Oi you aint got time to be on the forums you should be replenishing stock!! lol

Yes boss!! Sorry boss!! 

1 hour ago, TerrorTrooper said:

🤔

They don't want it because they want people to run around and grief each other "for resources".  Just like the old Ark BS about "raiding for resources" when raiding was more about wiping the other side just because.

As we used to say in the early days of WWII Online....

"Soon" tm

Not only unclaim... Rename! One typo will blame you for rest of your life...

1 hour ago, Case of the Scurvy said:

Technically you can sell all the needed parts to make a ship. 

This is not the same. Would you buy a car in parts??? Or would you buy a shiny colored and well designed car / boat?

I think the developers are too narrow-minded. Instead of any features that nobody wants (aging), they should rather develop features that are also in demand by the players.

46 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

This is not the same. Would you buy a car in parts??? Or would you buy a shiny colored and well designed car / boat?

I think the developers are too narrow-minded. Instead of any features that nobody wants (aging), they should rather develop features that are also in demand by the players.

I know what you mean, but you can Essentially become the ikea of the server. Sucks but its what we have **right now** but im totally with you.

3 hours ago, archaegeo said:

Would also have been a no brainer to make sure you cant overweight exploit sink them 😕 Guess i wouldnt hold my breath..

It does seem weird that there was no in-game trading system between players already in place in an MMO, but they did say they're working on it so I guess we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

There's plenty of real-world examples of "some assembly required' purchases. I typically buy my own computer in parts and put it together myself for example. Having said that though there probably weren't a lot of ships sold as a kit rather than a completed product, so I'll give you that. 

As to the last, I would hope there would be different teams working on aging than trade, but both touch on a lot of different systems so there's probably some unavoidable crossover. It doesn't necessarily mean trading got back shelved or delayed because of aging or anything else. There hasn't been a lot of transparency so we can only guess why some things are in the game and some aren't. 

Sure, there are... I dont want to question ist. What I wanted to say is that you do not just sell a ship or parts. You can sell a cool look, a functional design or something else.

We should be able to buy the ship in any stage, whether its panels on and nothing else or fully decorated and furnished.

Even trading a 'ship in a box' the buyer has to be able to lay down a keel. I can't. Only one guy in my group can. Solo players should be screaming for better trade mechanics. Imagine running sap in a sloop to pay for the brigantine they're building you. 

10 hours ago, archaegeo said:

It should be a thing, it it does become a thing, it won’t be for a long time. You might think it is easy to do and it probably is, but, for these guys it won’t be. They are having enough problems right now doing very basic fixes.

just fair warning, if they do implement it, there will be a way to grief it. You need to know that