Sign in to follow this  
DannyUK

Make NPC cheaper

I am solo player and I have a place on lawless island. I made a Schooner and whilst it was all well and good the 1st day the 2nd day I take it out I was fine passing ghost ships until my game decides to crash. I try to hurry to log back on and wouldn't let me, finally got on to see myself right next to a ghost ship firing at me, I turned the boat for the wind, turned the sails and thought I had managed to escape and steering wheel smashes along with few planks below. Running around like a headless chicken trying to repair but was just to much for 1 person unfortunately.

It would be nice to have NPC to manage these things, the trouble is it cost so much gold right now, 1.7 gold per hour? That is alot for 1 person playing the game, 1.7 gold for a real hour maybe yes. I won't be making anymore ships, I've decided to give the game a break until they change features and improve it. I know people will say "join a larger group" that's not what I want to do though, I like to play how I want to play but managing ships alone right now is doable but if your game crashes like me then you're caught out.

We play duo (me and my bro).

We have our Brig with 4ppl full-time NPC crew (sometimes we take 2 of them into our Schooners when we go hunting resourses).

So first I thought - that's the hell alot of money they take. But... well. We do one big treasure hunting in a 2-3 days for gold (we can do like 10-15 lvl treasure. Our record is lvl 22.1. Chest that high lvl usually located half atlas far from our base). And... well. When we hired a crew there were about 1500 gold in our resourse box. Right now it's about 6000 gold.

So it turned out they really don't take that much (around 100 gold for a real life night).

And If I would play solo... I mean I can easily complete a treasure hunt up for lvl-5 (and I do it with just a spear. So If you will be well armed - you'll fell better). The treasure this low usually located in a region you found a bottle or just one square far. It can contain like 150-200 gold each. So U can treasure hunt for a small chests and with 2-3 chest get around 450-600 gold. It wont take a long  and will be enough to keep 4ppl crew on duty for next 2-3 days).

A-a-a-a-and. Yet they do all maintenance work to the anchored ship. While sailing they do not repair it.

(And yeah. We carry 4 extra planks and extra steering wheal with us all time).

p.s. - The biggest problem here is actually gold weight. It took us whole in-game day to get from treasure chest to a ship. We had like 1600 gold each and it weigh 640!!! Far beyond our maximum weight we can carry : ))

p.p.s. - And yeah. For example - this weekend is x2 gold : ))

Edited by George Catcher
  • Thanks 1

if you also got firearms-pistols , most low lvl 11 soldiers of the damned is 1 shot, beside the boss that is more work, but 2 pistols-plenty of ammo-move around the area-dont wander off to far you can make a decent amount of gold, add in that you should go for floatsam that is around just for added gold (quality 3+)

• Like 1

Well that makes me feel abit better at least hearing that it can be done. I thought the treasure chests would be to difficult but maybe I will give it a try and collect a large amount to pay for NPC.

I will look out for low level treasure maps then but I doubt I will take another scooner out unless someone is with me because if your game crashes (like for me) then you're left sailing into the abyss. It wasn't so much sailing it alone but the fact so many ghost ships spawn around you at 1 time, I think i've counted like 5 or 6 spawn in front of me, that is ridiculous really.

I thought NPC would do repairs whilst sailing also, that's a shame that they don't but maybe implemented at a later date I hope. I never thought of taking extra planks and steering wheel with me but you live and learn I guess, won't make that mistake again.

get a sloop-medium speed sail and you are set + only need 1 npc to steer the sail for you ,just well be prepared to lower sails to turn as it will be fast but so slow turning, then you can use that boat as gatherer of gold-treasure hunt, stock it with extra guns-supplies, also watch for adds when doing treasure hunting at times things can pop up and totally destroy your day (friggin aggro elephants) + always always be careful docking at new places as some got some stupid nasty shallows you wont see unless its a storm , so slow and steady does it 

• Like 1

If you can tame or trade for a decent level bear, they shred the Army of the Damned, learned that today. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jabnlab said:

If you can tame or trade for a decent level bear, they shred the Army of the Damned, learned that today. 

Really? I did not know that. I have taming skill but never tried the bear. Thanks for the tip, might give that a try also.

2 hours ago, DannyUK said:

Really? I did not know that. I have taming skill but never tried the bear. Thanks for the tip, might give that a try also.

Yeah, before today we didnt like taking our bear out for anything but gathering fiber due to fear of alphas, but after the fire arrow nerf we were looking for a better way to run maps and someone in our square mentioned that the bear was great at taking out army of the damned so we took a chance and it worked great, plus a bear is a great way to get heavy gold back to the ship. After 3 maps we had enough gold for a months salary for the 3 npc we keep full time

• Like 1

Low chests can be beaten with a sword and a bow easily as well.  I feel like NPCs are pretty cheap really. I have 13 on my battle schooner at 1 gold every 1.7 hours.  Which is roughly 15-20 gold a night per NPC.  Roughly 200 gold a day for 13 NPCs.  Thats one chest treasure run per day

8 hours ago, George Catcher said:

p.s. - The biggest problem here is actually gold weight. It took us whole in-game day to get from treasure chest to a ship. We had like 1600 gold each and it weigh 640!!! Far beyond our maximum weight we can carry : ))

Small trick - next time you have such big payload - give all to one player, second is running between you and ship 🙂 Works like a charm and makes that way way easier than this slow walk.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DannyUK said:

Well that makes me feel abit better at least hearing that it can be done. I thought the treasure chests would be to difficult but maybe I will give it a try and collect a large amount to pay for NPC.

I will look out for low level treasure maps then but I doubt I will take another scooner out unless someone is with me because if your game crashes (like for me) then you're left sailing into the abyss. It wasn't so much sailing it alone but the fact so many ghost ships spawn around you at 1 time, I think i've counted like 5 or 6 spawn in front of me, that is ridiculous really.

I thought NPC would do repairs whilst sailing also, that's a shame that they don't but maybe implemented at a later date I hope. I never thought of taking extra planks and steering wheel with me but you live and learn I guess, won't make that mistake again.

Army of the damned are really weak in comparison to wild animals, i remember going to a powers stone island was killing lvl 100s with not much difficulty, the only thing that makes it hard is like 900 spawn all over the place, aim for high quality maps, anything that gives 200+ gold.

Said this in another thread, go for a schooner, with current rates should be easy to build one if you have tames. I'm playing solo and have a crew of 22, I've only had to repair a leak twice fighting SotD both occasion i messed, the first i rammed into one, the other i let one side get hit too many times. Schooner can take quite a few hits , giving you time to go to land or if you're nervous repair on the sea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elrood said:

Small trick - next time you have such big payload - give all to one player, second is running between you and ship 🙂 Works like a charm and makes that way way easier than this slow walk.

We use game exploit (or maybe I I shouldn't call it that). Equip spear and use tertiary attack (by default is  mouse scroll up). This is a charge attack and no matter how hard player overloaded he do charge : ))

Wenn ihr eine NPV Mannschaft auf eurem Schiff habt, müsst ihr A: Capitän Skillen und B: Pirateri, dabei solltet ihr auf Nahrung und Kosten des NPC gehen, diese werden dann gesenkt, zudem solltet ihr Punkte auf das Bett machen, was wieder rum die Kosten senkt. Ich zahle derweil ein Gold in 2.7 Stunden, und wenn ihr die NPC dann auch noch Putzen lasst, kosten sie noch weniger !

If you have an NPV crew on your ship, you have to have A: Captain Skillen and B: Pirateri, you should go at the food and expense of the NPC, they will be lowered, and you should make points on the bed, which will reduce the cost again. Meanwhile, I pay a gold in 2.7 hours, and if you let the NPC clean it, they cost even less!

Common treasure maps are pretty easy to solo and still give enough gold to maintain a small crew.

1 hour ago, kolpo said:

Riding a bear is good to do the easier treasure maps.

Riding a bear is good to do all sorts of treasure maps. My company of 3 did 3 lvl 50+ treasure maps yesterday because they were all in the same region. it was just 2 naked people with bows and a person riding a bear and the bear slaughtered them all. Natures cry is incredibly strong in short fights like this. We brought home well over 24k in gold from 3 treasure maps. Our brig was riding so slow which the long sail home was the hardest part. I fully believe a solo person with a good bear could have done these maps. Ive often cleared 10+ common maps on a neighboring island in under an hour with just a bear and a shovel.

• Thanks 1