Sign in to follow this  
Stabby

Please slow down SoTD's. Too fast!

Can you please slow them down? Unless wind is perfect and stars are aligned it's very difficult to navigate their picketlines due to short visibility.

• Like 4

Their speed would be fine if they were not literaly everywhere, just 2 hours ago teleported with fully loaded sloop into one, barely made it by going back to previous grid with 1/5 hp sinking ship. But don't worry, devs won't reduce anything about them anymore, on the stream they laughed off the border camping and walls an joked they could just add an alpha SoD. What they gonna do is add 1 barely smaller SoD and 1 2x bigger SoD.

• Like 1

L6  I saw and had to dodge 15 SoD, L2 I saw 13.... 

The game should be called 'Seas of the Damned', rather than 'Atlas'.

• Like 1

Anything bigger than a sloop can easily outrun the ships of the damned. Unless your going directly into the wind.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aleck said:

And they are many..

Too many! Lost another schooner yesterday. Spent 3 days taming, loaded boat and was heading home. All lost. They just had the perfect picket line. I couldn't cross it due to wind conditions. This game is 75% loss and 25% gameplay. It is by far WAY too hard for an official launch.

Heck a decent sailor with a medium speed sail, not overweight should be able to outrun the damned ships on a sloop.

You guys think about NOT going sailing on a sloop? They're pretty shit.

Regardless of what ship you're on the SoTD's are too many, too fast and their visibility range is too low. Their routes are intended to fuck us.

Not sure what everyone is moaning about to be honest, I struggle to find ghost ships even when I want them for NPCs and those I do spot refuse to even aggro me until I run up and shoot them in the face.

My advice is learn to sail and use your eyes, they've been nerfed into the ground and are pretty boring as they are now. 

Edited by Heilos

Yesterday at EU PvE L6 I had to return to base with Brig (fully loaded & repaired for combat 12 medium, 6 large cannons and ~300 shots) because i ran out of ammo and repair materials 10 minutes sailing out of port. AND I was trying to avoid them to get to another tile for taming. 
There were so many of them it was insane. At one point i saw at least 6 SoD at one place.

Since v15 patch something changed.

i dont understand you guys, schooner and brig with 100% large sails outrun ai ships and whales easily. you are so fast that they not have enough time to shoot once. your fault if your ship is at 90% weight.

It seems they are significantly updated the SOD count and also changed other parts of the code. My company is also experiencing SOD invasion that also behaves quite differently.

Old code back in?

My brig was at 11k/16.5k (~65% loaded) weight I had some stuff with me for taming which weighted around 500kg. 

Just a bit of offtopic.
And there is another thing i have noticed about bad ping servers. Ships move slower than on areas with ok ping. 

There is something wrong with tick rate of some servers (lawless are particularly  bad). Look at the waves and rubber-banding of ships. Because waves & ships are a server-side thing. Client usually runs at "correct" tick rate. And when you move forward your ship & waves gets corrected. I needed twice the time to cross a lawless as I needed to cross the K6. With same wind conditions. 

Note the in game time. It happens a lot of times that time of day suddenly changes - because it gets corrected from server every so often. 

Edited by IcyAxe

On laggy servers (Specially lawless) SOD, Cyclones etc ticks much more than you. Its known behavior it takes longer to cross a lawless zone. But the cyclones and SOD can move and react at normal speed. Cyclones in lawless are more or less unavoidable. They can even go faster than you can sail with full speed rig.

SoTD's are coming back to land again. Seen two today less than 100 feet from shore. One was stuck inside of a lighthouse for a few mins.

Edited by Stabby

SOTD fast? question is.. what were you driving? A sloop or a raft with small sails probably.  

Look at this video that I made fighting off 3 SOTD in a row without taking ANY damage. I have my sails at 50% and turn then against the wind to not be faster than any SOTD out there (I slow down on purpose to keep them within range) while dragging them behind me. SOTD are freaking slow, and they rotate slow and the aggro range is super small even for brigs and stuff. I go afk while driving from 1 island to the other and even if you aggro them, about 10 sec. later you lose them again. They are 0 challenge if you have a schooner or above. Even with a sloop and a medium sail you should be absolutely fine to go. I even saw rafts outrun SOTD on the way to powerstone islands. 

19 hours ago, bluelance said:

Anything bigger than a sloop can easily outrun the ships of the damned. Unless your going directly into the wind.

1 minute ago, Mephos said:

SOTD fast? question is.. what were you driving? A sloop or a raft with small sails probably.  

Look at this video that I made fighting off 3 SOTD in a row without taking ANY damage. I have my sails at 50% and turn then against the wind to not be faster than any SOTD out there (I slow down on purpose to keep them within range) while dragging them behind me. SOTD are freaking slow, and they rotate slow and the aggro range is super small even for brigs and stuff. I go afk while driving from 1 island to the other and even if you aggro them, about 10 sec. later you lose them again. They are 0 challenge if you have a schooner or above. Even with a sloop and a medium sail you should be absolutely fine to go. I even saw rafts outrun SOTD on the way to powerstone islands. 

Read my previous post about slow tick rate of laggy servers...

I can outrun any SoD with my brig, schooner, even sloop... but not on laggy servers. 

14 minutes ago, Mephos said:

Good lord your aim is horrific