Incarnate

Death should have consequences...

1 minute ago, Nightstrasza said:

Nah, with all predators, alphas, glitches and broken patches would prefer it never changes, even after all is fixed would prefer there will be profits for living long and not making us more useless for dying.

If they do that they will wipe most of the population off their servers anyway.

28 minutes ago, Grongash said:

I can see you havent read all of mine. Its not just imbalance, its mostly bugs atm.

I actually did and tried to respond to all of it, even if most or some of it is bugs, it's also things that they need to fix before implementing what I'm suggesting.
There are great deal of things they need to narrow down and fix appropriately, glitches, bugs, imbalances, etc. before implementing what I've suggested here. Which isn't just death having detrimental consequences but also beneficial consequences of avoiding death for a prolonged amount of time.

21 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Nah, with all predators, alphas, glitches and broken patches would prefer it never changes, even after all is fixed would prefer there will be profits for living long and not making us more useless for dying.

Well, as well as dandy as that would be, lasting detrimental effects from dying is needed, especially since dying really doesn't have any lasting detrimental effects, people just die and respawn, they even exploit it because it's so damn convenient. So it may be you do not want it, that doesn't change the fact that it's actually needed to some degree. Also note, I'm also suggesting that players are rewarded with beneficial consequences for staying alive for a prolonged amount of time.. Both sides of the coin are represented. And I've been trying to point out, what I've suggested here, shouldn't be implemented UNTIL they fix all of the current balance issues, bugs, glitches, balance issues, and especially the OP wildlife.

Edited by Incarnate

8 hours ago, Incarnate said:

Death should have consequences...
Currently death has no real consequences other than those that are a result of other consequences. I think death should have character consequences, so that players would generally seek to avoid death, and as is it can even be exploited a good deal because it has no consequences what so ever. If one were to lose a certain amount of maximum hit points per death, either based on a static amount or a percentage based on total amount of hit points, down to a maximum hit point reduction cap, which I think should be no more than 25% of the characters total hit points (based on base amount + hit points gained from level). These should be regainable over the course of time, eating healthy, applying remedies (and possibly magic if implemented) and avoiding conflict - the amount of time should be tweaked to find the appropriate amount and should obviously also be tied to the amount one would lose per death, so one should as a minimum recover a base  amount equivalent to a day per death, or similar. This way, death is taken alot more serious, and won't be exploited, at least not to the degree it is now. This will also be beneficial to taking hunger,  thirst and vitamins seriously, where as now because death has no consequences, it's more of an annoyance than anything else.

As it currently is, the hunger, thirst and vitamin system is disliked and not even taken serious, because there is no real downside to it, as you can just let your character die and then respawn without any real and lasting detriment to player's character or the player for that matter. This can be improved to a point where it can both a benefit or a detriment to the player's character. So how could it be achieved that the thirst, hunger and lack of vitamins is taken more serious? For one, by introducing a more lasting detriment to the player character if death to the character incurs, for whatever reason, like for instance reducing the maximum number hit points the character has by a certain amount or percent, although still with a maximum reduction that it can be reduced to. The character would be able to regain these by a certain amount/percent per day, where keeping certain vitamin types in the high area would lead to faster recovery, and it could be considered that certain foods would lead to even faster recovery, various remedies could possibly also be considered to add to this effect, including magic if that becomes a thing in the game. Furthermore, the vitamin surplus debuff really needs to be removed, as having a vitamin surplus has realistically never been a thing, because for humans excess vitamins is flushed from the system and does not become absorbed. The maximum hitpoint should also be able to be increased through the same as above, but only to half amount of what it could be reduced with. Actual values will need to be tweaked to find the appropriate amount, but I think the maximum hit point reduction cap should be around 25% of total hit point, and the maximum it can be increased temporarily to should be 12,5%.

A note on wildlife

I will say this though, there are various things that certainly needs to be fixed before implementing this, like wildlife has to be fixed. Because wildlife currently as is - a great threat and would only be intensified if the above is implemented. But why do I say that wildlife is a great threat? The thing is, most of the wildlife that are aggressive by default can out right kill you, especially if you cannot outrun it, you can outrun snakes, but they can torpor you even after you've outrun them, where it will either attempt to still kill you or some other aggressive animal will. The primary issues with hostile wildlife is that they can attack through the mesh of the environment, including buildings and ships, where they should not be able to,  the spawn amount and respawn timers, and that they're way too lethal and you cannot outrun them. Some of the absolute worst in the game currently would be wolves, lions and crocodiles. On the note of crocodiles, they're so bad currently because they can attack characters on smaller ships and can prevent players from getting rid of them, even trying to lure them away from the ship won't work, as they swim faster and only takes 2-3 attacks to outright kill one, they can potentially kill you before you even get a chance to lure them away. And given how respawn mechanics work, it almost litterally impossible to get it away from the ship. So yes, the wildlife is too much of a severe threat and seriously needs to be toned down, especially BEFORE implementing the above.

I am interested in knowing your thoughts on this @Jatheish and the community as well. Perhaps others have ideas similar to this or ideas that will support this even further.

The way to make death matter is simple :

1.Make loot cost more to make.

2.Extend the respawn timer

3.Respawn them far from where they died.

All of this equates to time, which is the only real way to punish a player. Force them to waste time. Time in creating what they need to make, time in the respawn, time in the distance back to their body. 

Beyond that, i would say reduce exp, or place a debuff on the player for death.

Anything too permanent will kill the game. Someone in another thread suggested that dying should increase the rate that you age, a mechanic i think shouldn't even be in the game. This is a BAD way to make death matter. It will simply cause people to leave the game, and is what i'd call "halfway hardcore". 

I'm also a little skeptical of punishing nakeds.. Seems a little too much. Someone could gimp themselves from the start when they'd just trying to learn the game. And having to deal with vitamins all the time will just make the game a chore.

Edited by Tina Toothpick

5 minutes ago, Maffia said:

How about removing the crap vitamin system?

Problem solved.

Actually I'm finding out more and more easy ways to keep vitamins in check. Preservation bugs works great, when we will have salted meat it will be even better. With cows (if not for luring carnivorous animals into pens PvE griefers) and milking we could easily balance blue one. Plant ones are easy as hell. 

Still for me death consequences should come after they fix ******** griefing on PvE. If I would want to defend against offline raids I would play on PvP. With that taken care of with planning you can work out vitamins with quite a bit of satisfaction and death penalty would actually add to the game imho. 

Edit: actually this should kick in from some higher level - like <40 levels, death is not a problem. From 40+ death becomes bigger and bigger problem and you need to plan around it. Mostly because it takes planning and knowledge about game to be able to deal with it efficiently.

Edited by Elrood

1 minute ago, Tina Toothpick said:

They just had to set gathering to x2 as it was to grindy.
If they do that we are back to square 1.

11 minutes ago, Maffia said:

How about removing the crap vitamin system?

Problem solved.

That doesn't solve the problem, people still kill them selves to get around hunger, thirst and other sorts of things where it's convenient.

8 minutes ago, Tina Toothpick said:

2.Extend the respawn timer

3.Respawn them far from where they died.

All of this equates to time, which is the only real way to punish a player. Force them to waste time. Time in creating what they need to make, time in the respawn, time in the distance back to their body. 

Beyond that, i would say reduce exp, or place a debuff on the player for death.

Anything too permanent will kill the game. Someone in another thread suggested that dying should increase the rate that you age, a mechanic i think shouldn't even be in the game. This is a BAD way to make death matter. It will simply cause people to leave the game, and is what i'd call "halfway hardcore". 

I'm also a little skeptical of punishing nakeds.. Seems a little too much. Someone could gimp themselves from the start when they'd just trying to learn the game. And having to deal with vitamins all the time will just make the game a chore.

What I'm suggesting is hardly permanent, as I suggested, 1 day to recover from one death worth of "penalty", obviously the more penalized you are, the longer time it would take to recover, but I did put a cap on that, which was something like 5 days, we're talking five in game days. So it's fairly easy to recover from it, but it does have consequences, so one shouldn't be going to war in that state as one would be severely weakened. Furthermore, I'm also suggested that characters that are healthy should for every day stay alive up to a certain maximum should get some benefits, like increased maximum hitpoints, better stamina regen, and so forth. But there does need to be consequences of dying as currently it's way too easy to avoid all the detrimental aspects of the hunger, thirst and vitamin deficiency, making that system a joke.

Making it so it costs more to craft things, I don't think would do much, that would just make people grind more or wait more until that debuff wears off. Extending the respawn timer, should already be a thing in my opinion, which it to some degree already is as the spawn points has a certain limit before a timers is put on. Respawn them where they, died, wouldn't accomplish much and could potentially just aggrevate certain situations, and potentially be exploited by griefers. Reducing exp won't do anything for those who're already max level.

I agree, the idea of increasing the rate of which you age with every death, is a very bad idea, to the point of being horrible. Age could be an interesting concept in the game, but it all depends on how well they execute that idea and concept, where for instance the idea of playerdriven mating is a really bad gameplay idea, in many ways actually.

In regards to punishing "nakeds", I never said anything in regards specifically to punishing "nakeds", but the reason we see a lot of nakeds running around is simply due to what is the most efficient in the game, which says a lot when nakeds and fire arrows/torches has become the thing that is the most efficient. I think what I'm suggesting here might affect this issue, and as well as making land claim cost gold to claim and keep. Personally I think people have to see the greater picture, rather than just looking at a few things when determining if something will work or not, where it will often be a combination of things that fixes the issues, where this one could just be a piece of a larger puzzle.

2 minutes ago, Incarnate said:

That doesn't solve the problem, people still kill them selves to get around hunger, thirst and other sorts of things where it's convenient.

What I'm suggesting is hardly permanent, as I suggested, 1 day to recover from one death worth of "penalty", obviously the more penalized you are, the longer time it would take to recover, but I did put a cap on that, which was something like 5 days, we're talking five in game days. So it's fairly easy to recover from it, but it does have consequences, so one shouldn't be going to war in that state as one would be severely weakened. Furthermore, I'm also suggested that characters that are healthy should for every day stay alive up to a certain maximum should get some benefits, like increased maximum hitpoints, better stamina regen, and so forth. But there does need to be consequences of dying as currently it's way too easy to avoid all the detrimental aspects of the hunger, thirst and vitamin deficiency, making that system a joke.

Making it so it costs more to craft things, I don't think would do much, that would just make people grind more or wait more until that debuff wears off. Extending the respawn timer, should already be a thing in my opinion, which it to some degree already is as the spawn points has a certain limit before a timers is put on. Respawn them where they, died, wouldn't accomplish much and could potentially just aggrevate certain situations, and potentially be exploited by griefers. Reducing exp won't do anything for those who're already max level.

I agree, the idea of increasing the rate of which you age with every death, is a very bad idea, to the point of being horrible. Age could be an interesting concept in the game, but it all depends on how well they execute that idea and concept, where for instance the idea of playerdriven mating is a really bad gameplay idea, in many ways actually.

In regards to punishing "nakeds", I never said anything in regards specifically to punishing "nakeds", but the reason we see a lot of nakeds running around is simply due to what is the most efficient in the game, which says a lot when nakeds and fire arrows/torches has become the thing that is the most efficient. I think what I'm suggesting here might affect this issue, and as well as making land claim cost gold to claim and keep. Personally I think people have to see the greater picture, rather than just looking at a few things when determining if something will work or not, where it will often be a combination of things that fixes the issues, where this one could just be a piece of a larger puzzle.

About that "1 day to recover". Take a look at how salty Boundless forums got because of death penalty and apply lesson form WoW - two good example how not to handle it and how to fix it after messing up. Instead of penalty add "Survival" buff which the longer you live the more it gives you with some cap on it. Instead of vitamins balance buff for example. People will always be salty about penalties (psychology 101) but will welcome awards. This is a game, should be enjoyable and hard work of keeping you alive long enough should be awarded. Not short mistake to kill you should be penalized. Much better approach actually after some thoughts in this direction. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elrood said:

About that "1 day to recover". Take a look at how salty Boundless forums got because of death penalty and apply lesson form WoW - two good example how not to handle it and how to fix it after messing up. Instead of penalty add "Survival" buff which the longer you live the more it gives you with some cap on it. Instead of vitamins balance buff for example. People will always be salty about penalties (psychology 101) but will welcome awards. This is a game, should be enjoyable and hard work of keeping you alive long enough should be awarded. Not short mistake to kill you should be penalized. Much better approach actually after some thoughts in this direction. 

But this doesn't solve the issue with people that are exploiting it, do you think that these people who're exploiting it gives a rat ass about if they lose a buff or not? I don't think they care one bit about losing a buff, but they would care about losing something that puts them below general performance level. Another thing here, you're comparing two different games to each other that are vastly different from one another, it's like comparing apples to oranges, then saying because apples taste good then so will oranges, which comes down to individual taste. Another problem is that death is being exploited other things, because it's a convenient way to deal with certain issues. So the only way you can takle those efficiently and more correctly, is to apply both sides of the coin. Also, the concept of time isn't something WoW has, not in the same sense of game mechanics that affect gameplay over the course of hours, days, weeks, etc., Atlas does. WoW isn't a survival game nor is it a sandbox, so what works for WoW, wouldn't necessary work for Atlas, they're two very distinctly different games, even though both are MMOs, well one attempts to being but currently isn't.

What you're suggesting simply does not alleviate the problem that death isn't something people take serious in the game, and uses it frequently to dodge detrimental game effects, intended gameplay mechanics, which are there for a reason.

The vitamins thing is a bit of gamey mc game thing.  If I had made this I would have used a slightly different system.

Instead of vitamins, I'd have used :   Hydration, Protein, Nutrition.   Keep it simpler.

Hydration, self explaining.   I'd even go as far as adding a sort of pot recipe that allows sea water to be boiled off.

Protein, from eating meats & fish.. better meats give better boosts.

Nutrition , from eating your greens and berries / fruit / veg etc.

Could tie in protein to things like stamina boosts and health regen for being well fed, to resistances to torpor for being a good little person and eating your veggies and berries.  Simplify what we have now, and make food last longer for sure.  Make it less of a chore, but something that sits in the background needing quiet attention.

I don't want to suggest a nerf or drastically change things, but, once the food system works, and wildlife isn't so devastatingly malevolent and glitchy, then I'd be ok to have some kind of temporary debuff for dying.  You do not want to smack the game down for PvE to balance PvP, so a debuff would work for both.  Debuff could be in the way of a temporary stat reduction etc.   Just so that staying alive during PvP encounters is a priority.  in PvE it'll be an annoying inconvenience.

Sorry waffled on more than intended...

2 minutes ago, Incarnate said:

But this doesn't solve the issue with people that are exploiting it, do you think that these people who're exploiting it gives a rat ass about if they lose a buff or not? I don't think they care one bit about losing a buff, but they would care about losing something that puts them below general performance level. Another thing here, you're comparing two different games to each other that are vastly different from one another, it's like comparing apples to oranges, then saying because apples taste good then so will oranges, which comes down to individual taste. Another problem is that death is being exploited other things, because it's a convenient way to deal with certain issues. So the only way you can takle those efficiently and more correctly, is to apply both sides of the coin. Also, the concept of time isn't something WoW has, not in the same sense of game mechanics that affect gameplay over the course of hours, days, weeks, etc., Atlas does. WoW isn't a survival game nor is it a sandbox, so what works for WoW, wouldn't necessary work for Atlas, they're two very distinctly different games, even though both are MMOs, well one attempts to being but currently isn't.

What you're suggesting simply does not alleviate the problem that death isn't something people take serious in the game, and uses it frequently to dodge detrimental game effects, intended gameplay mechanics, which are there for a reason.

I think the main difference between us is for me game should give benefits for staying alive and give players incentive to play that way, while you want to force every player to play that way by penalizing them. Inclusive design where players can opt out but will not receive additional handouts but will lose nothing more than earlier vs forcing all from start (willing or not) to play one defined way or they will and penalize those who don't want. 

I don't see any kind of consensus between those two points of view. One or the other need to be picked. 

And of course i hope inclusive would be chosen 🙂  But that is only my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

The vitamins thing is a bit of gamey mc game thing.  If I had made this I would have used a slightly different system.

Instead of vitamins, I'd have used :   Hydration, Protein, Nutrition.   Keep it simpler.

Hydration, self explaining.   I'd even go as far as adding a sort of pot recipe that allows sea water to be boiled off.

Protein, from eating meats & fish.. better meats give better boosts.

Nutrition , from eating your greens and berries / fruit / veg etc.

Could tie in protein to things like stamina boosts and health regen for being well fed, to resistances to torpor for being a good little person and eating your veggies and berries.  Simplify what we have now, and make food last longer for sure.  Make it less of a chore, but something that sits in the background needing quiet attention.

I don't want to suggest a nerf or drastically change things, but, once the food system works, and wildlife isn't so devastatingly malevolent and glitchy, then I'd be ok to have some kind of temporary debuff for dying.  You do not want to smack the game down for PvE to balance PvP, so a debuff would work for both.  Debuff could be in the way of a temporary stat reduction etc.   Just so that staying alive during PvP encounters is a priority.  in PvE it'll be an annoying inconvenience.

Sorry waffled on more than intended...

I like your idea with the Protein, Hydration and Nutrion, and is better than what the current system offers.
Also, I agree, it should be possible to actually boil salt water to use.

What I'm suggesting when one die is actually a debuff with several severity levels - it temporarily reduces your maximum hitpoints, stamina regen and possibly others that deals with the physical health. It's temporary as long as one stays alive for it to wear off, where as I suggested 1 day per 1 death as a base, where various things could speed up this process like, eating healthy - keeping food, water and vitamins in high levels, applying remedies and if magic would ever make it to the game, then possibly something there could speed up this process. The number I gave is just for example the actual value would have to be tweaked to find the appropriate amount.

I think it should work for both PvE and PvP, where obviously it would impact PvP a lot more, but nonetheless I find that to be reasonable. For PvP it would fix a lot of issues that people deal with, however I don't think that the game is currently ready for what I'm suggesting as there are lot of things that needs to be fixed, both bugs, glitched, exploits, OP wildlife, but certainly is something that should be there.

In regards to it being an annoying inconvenience in PvE, by including it hunger, thirst and vitamin deficiencies, they've clearly indicated they want this to be part of the intended gameplay, but not yet realized that it becomes more of an inconvenience by letting it be something you can easily avoid simply by dying and respawning without any detrimental effects of dying. Where it would more immersive and gratifying if dying had more lasting detrimental effects (like a temporary debuff that last for like a 1 day, and more if more severe), as one were able to stay alive and avoid those detrimental effects.

19 minutes ago, Elrood said:

I think the main difference between us is for me game should give benefits for staying alive and give players incentive to play that way, while you want to force every player to play that way by penalizing them. Inclusive design where players can opt out but will not receive additional handouts but will lose nothing more than earlier vs forcing all from start (willing or not) to play one defined way or they will and penalize those who don't want. 

I don't see any kind of consensus between those two points of view. One or the other need to be picked. 

And of course i hope inclusive would be chosen 🙂  But that is only my opinion. 

What I'm suggesting offers both sides of the coin, as one will be rewarded for staying alive while healthy for prolonged amount of time, as one would get more maximum hitpoints, better stamina regen, and other benefits that deals with physical health. But will also be penalized for dying, and there should be consequences of dying, and not just it be that one loses that benefits given, it has to be something that will make the player play more cautiously. Where it's not a matter of playing correctly or incorrectly, but a matter of playing the intended gameplay, so it's not about playing one certain way, but accepting that this is part of the game and the intended gameplay.

This is how what you're saying it should be, how it would be in real life - "I don't want to deal with hunger, thirst, vitamins, so I'll just ignore that part, oh and don't want to deal with people, money, politics, religion or anything else, so I'm just going to ignore that too - I'm just not willing to play the intended gameplay of life, but I want to play how I want to."

This is how I see it, the devs have intended gameplay, detrimental, beneficial and all in between, and if people are doing things to avoid the detrimental effects of the intended gameplay, then they need to do something to make people follow the intended gameplay, and it being possible to play around in the first place is simply because they haven't thought it all the way through. It shouldn't even be an option to choose whether you want first option or second option, it should be as the devs defines it, and if they've made it possible to play around it or somehow avoid it, exploit it, abuse it, etc., then they need to fix it. It would be similar to law, if there were a hole in the judicial system, then it would need to be fixed asap so it can't be exploited again. Same deal here, but the game isn't ready to have consequences of dying added currently because the game has so many issues it needs to have fixed appropriately, where once that is done, there definitely should be consequences of dying whether it's those I've suggested or something else but similar, is definitely something that should be there.

You see what I'm suggesting offers both penalties and rewards.

• Like 1

I just want to put it out there that boiling ocean water doesn’t make it potable. Here in California we set up a multi billion dollar desalination plant so we could start using ocean water for drinking water or crop feeding.

7 minutes ago, Realist said:

I just want to put it out there that boiling ocean water doesn’t make it potable. Here in California we set up a multi billion dollar desalination plant so we could start using ocean water for drinking water or crop feeding.

This is something that can be done without expensive equipment, but of course if you want to it on a mass scale and with higher levels quality, various sorts of laboratory testing, analasis and other kinds of things involved, then yes, then you do need expensive equipment and lab-equipment. But salt water can be cooked and used IF you use a simple technique of desalination, it's just a process that takes some time, but can repeated as needed, and it can be done without expensive equipment or even advanced equipment. I would say one would need physics or chemistry knowledge in order to be able to do something as this. Because even though it's simple technique, it is something that requires scienticific insight, where chemistry would preferable.

10 minutes ago, Realist said:

😄  you're right though...I know it's not realistic to add a desalination plant to Atlas, but, most primitively, a special recipe or even a special kind of pot, that just separates salt and the water component from sea water.  It's a special kind of pot lol.  But should easily be justified in how it works (if you're just boiling off the water and condensing the steam back to drinkable water).  To balance things up it could take some time for it to produce one unit.  So one has to keep stock of the fuel on the fire.

10 hours ago, Jaite said:

um there are consequences to dying but perhaps just not how extreme you personally want it

i suggest running your own private server and making it perma death, there might even be some out there already

There is not. People suicide for food and water reset. Not a survival game ar this point.

No need for food. No need for drink. No need for medikits. Super fast farming. Zero difficulty to craft anything. All content crafteable from day 2... Plus. No need coop sailing, no trading needed, cheaper ships etc.

Atlas MMO is going singleplayer mode with VERY EASY dif. Settings. Boring and childish.

Ley hope they return to an Survivalcraft CooP MMO router.

• Like 1

Here's my solution, if the fatal blow is delivered by another player, you lose all of your sea and land claims, and your locked items become destructible.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Watru said:

They just had to set gathering to x2 as it was to grindy.
If they do that we are back to square 1.

How about. X time alive to have the x2 gattering buff,ir something like that.

Atlas and ARK are very similar in that you will die a lot. Yes, we can die to level off our vitamin bars when they are low, or die just because we want to spawn somewhere else but in general there are many reasons we die which arent our fault i.e. game crashes and find yourself falling from a great height etc.

To have a permanent consequence to dying isnt right, especially in PvP because if you die and have half your HP and return to defend your base the attackers will have all the advantage and you will no longer have a base.

You could always include a cooldown consquence (respawn sickness) like slow movement speed for 5mins, or 3/4's HP for 5 mins, +50 extra food degeneration etc. Something which is a nuisance but wont ruin a players stats for the rest of the game.

45 minutes ago, Manaos said:

How about. X time alive to have the x2 gattering buff,ir something like that.

If it was from the incensed baseline i be fine with that.
But no debuf`s for dying we are supposed to fight etch so debuffing someone is like saying no PvP.

Edited by Watru

2 hours ago, Vorxius said:

😄  you're right though...I know it's not realistic to add a desalination plant to Atlas, but, most primitively, a special recipe or even a special kind of pot, that just separates salt and the water component from sea water.  It's a special kind of pot lol.  But should easily be justified in how it works (if you're just boiling off the water and condensing the steam back to drinkable water).  To balance things up it could take some time for it to produce one unit.  So one has to keep stock of the fuel on the fire.

Yeah I get you. I just figured if they wanted to put vitamins(stupid idea) into the game I would call them out on desalination 😂

2 hours ago, Incarnate said:

This is something that can be done without expensive equipment, but of course if you want to it on a mass scale and with higher levels quality, various sorts of laboratory testing, analasis and other kinds of things involved, then yes, then you do need expensive equipment and lab-equipment. But salt water can be cooked and used IF you use a simple technique of desalination, it's just a process that takes some time, but can repeated as needed, and it can be done without expensive equipment or even advanced equipment. I would say one would need physics or chemistry knowledge in order to be able to do something as this. Because even though it's simple technique, it is something that requires scienticific insight, where chemistry would preferable.

As long as they do it the right way and make it actually take a long time to make drinkable water then so be it.

1 hour ago, Anarki said:

Atlas and ARK are very similar in that you will die a lot. Yes, we can die to level off our vitamin bars when they are low, or die just because we want to spawn somewhere else but in general there are many reasons we die which arent our fault i.e. game crashes and find yourself falling from a great height etc.

To have a permanent consequence to dying isnt right, especially in PvP because if you die and have half your HP and return to defend your base the attackers will have all the advantage and you will no longer have a base.

You could always include a cooldown consquence (respawn sickness) like slow movement speed for 5mins, or 3/4's HP for 5 mins, +50 extra food degeneration etc. Something which is a nuisance but wont ruin a players stats for the rest of the game.

But who's talking about permanent consequences, I'm not, what I'm talking about is temporary debuffs that last for a longer time, like an ingame day at maximum, per death, up to a certain max like 3 or 5 deaths, so it would take tops 5 in game days to recover from it. And what I am suggesting also offers the other side the coin, where one can get a more lasting temporary buff for staying alive for a prolonged time, which would last until one dies.

Also, the numbers I've suggested wouldn't make one have 50% health, it would at maximum reduce the maximum amount of hitpoints by 25%, where the increment per death could be made something like 5%, 2.5% or even as low as 0.5%.

So from a PvP perspective, this goes both ways, as those who're attacking would also be reduced in effectiveness as they sustain casualties, which at some point they would have to consider when to pull from their invasion/assault.

Making mild nuisances would just be something players will power through and won't mean a thing, and what I'm suggesting won't ruin their stats for the rest of the game. I don't know where you're getting this from, but certainly not something I'm suggesting and I'm not in favor of permanent detrimental effects to player characters

Edited by Incarnate
Added missing words.