Sign in to follow this  
mrtrollham

I don't understand why people hate on the game like this.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:18 AM, Vorxius said:

Friend WhatsApp'ed me... and I quote.

Car finally arrived today to pick up.. Whohooo.  Got to the dealer, inspected the car, awesome.  Picked up Tamsin, decided to take the motorway on way back to crank it up a gear..  70, 80, 90mph..  then ALL 4 WHEELS VANISHED wth?.  Skidded just under 400 yards sideways with sparks and crap everywhere and a smell of burning and a deathly scraping sound.  As we came to a halt, I called the dealer... didn't answer.. left message to get money back... no reply.  Citizens advice tell me to get over it, it's an early access car, and glitches will happen...  Scavengers have already scrapped the car...  and a glowing bunny rabbit has just eaten Tams.  Not sure what to do..  According to the GPS on my phone I'm somewhere in the middle of Atlantic now, being attacked by crocks.  Kinda sucks..  Best, Rob.

(I did chuckle heartily).

I got a great laugh out of this, good stuff, creative and makes it's point in a less toxic way.

Buuuut (don't you hate that but?) Where I think the OP also has a valid point is right about where this analogy has a weakness. Cars are necessarily heavily regulated products, precisely because lives and safety depend upon them working properly. Online games not so much, because little depends on them other than how much fun you have in your leisure time.  I try to balance my thinking between the fact that we as consumers should absolutely should hold the industry and developers accountable for the products that they offer us and the fact that even if those products are absolutely horrible, the consequences still don't merit a lot of the overblown vitriol common to game forums.

Fact is most of these Youtube "Game Reviewers" are nothing more than shock reviewers.  They love to try and be the next "Angry Joe" or Yatshee.  So the trash everything they play and try to do it in a very outlandish way to attract kids who will feed off of the negativity.   This drives up views and thus subs, so they can try and make a few dollars off of Youtube in hopes of being the next idiotpie.   

On 1/8/2019 at 10:18 AM, Vorxius said:

Friend WhatsApp'ed me... and I quote.

Car finally arrived today to pick up.. Whohooo.  Got to the dealer, inspected the car, awesome.  Picked up Tamsin, decided to take the motorway on way back to crank it up a gear..  70, 80, 90mph..  then ALL 4 WHEELS VANISHED wth?.  Skidded just under 400 yards sideways with sparks and crap everywhere and a smell of burning and a deathly scraping sound.  As we came to a halt, I called the dealer... didn't answer.. left message to get money back... no reply.  Citizens advice tell me to get over it, it's an early access car, and glitches will happen...  Scavengers have already scrapped the car...  and a glowing bunny rabbit has just eaten Tams.  Not sure what to do..  According to the GPS on my phone I'm somewhere in the middle of Atlantic now, being attacked by crocks.  Kinda sucks..  Best, Rob.

(I did chuckle heartily).

Not even close!!!

You walk into a dealership looking for that great deal, you ask about the Accura they want 29,500 for it and you wont budge past 19.  They show you the Prius talk about how its really fuel effiecent, but your not falling for that crap you know your going to need to plug the damn thing in and what a hassle that will be...  They show you 5 other models but they all seem to just not be good value...  No you want something cheeper!

So one of the salesmen points you to the Used Beamer tagged at 18,000 its got power everything, the paintjob is pristine, seems almost too good to be true.  But its got 300,000 miles on it already?  WTF how does it have so many miles its only a 2016 model?!?  Oh well it looks nice and its in your budget, you can just imagine the girls into you as you drive up in that Beamer....  So your like okay I will take it...

Then your story above happens!!!  Thats a bit closer to being the EA metaphor then what you wrote!!!

12 hours ago, Hodo said:

Fact is most of these Youtube "Game Reviewers" are nothing more than shock reviewers.  They love to try and be the next "Angry Joe" or Yatshee.  So the trash everything they play and try to do it in a very outlandish way to attract kids who will feed off of the negativity.   This drives up views and thus subs, so they can try and make a few dollars off of Youtube in hopes of being the next idiotpie.   

Does any of that change when-either it is funny or not? I don't think so.

On 1/8/2019 at 7:56 AM, Percieval said:

ARK’s community was toxic, that’s just what you get. 

I never got that far, to observe the community. instantly went to private server.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:30 PM, Vorxius said:

At the face of it, Atlas is NOT a bad game.  You get past the bad launch, it has a lot of potential.  Cliche I know, but it is early days.  There are many good and new things going for Atlas...  Such a shame it's all a chaotic mess of awful physics and illogical design choices.  I have faith, though.  It'll change from frustrating to playable to fun in relatively no time if they listen to the community, and split PvE server tuning from PvP server tuning.  PvE players HATE their game getting nerfed to balance PvP issues.   Just leave PvE and balance PvP if needed.

I opted to go for private server, just so I can actually dance with the game as it was meant to be..  and I have to say, private server is so much a more positive experience than official servers if you reel in your temptation and don't go unrealistic / cheat mode.

tbh havent found any good pve ones, there all xX g/h/t crap that makes anything you do easy mode and dull.

7 minutes ago, Sketch said:

tbh havent found any good pve ones, there all xX g/h/t crap that makes anything you do easy mode and dull.

Ye it’s a bit of a shame there isn’t an forum section for people to promote their PVP/PVE private servers so people can actually find good ones. That would help a lot for many people. 

Oh wait.. there is 😉 

Maybe you will find one there! 

Edited by Percieval

21 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Ye it’s a bit of a shame there isn’t an forum section for people to promote their PVP/PVE private servers so people can actually find good ones. That would help a lot for many people. 

Oh wait.. there is 😉 

Maybe you will find one there! 

nope even with that havent found one

1 minute ago, Sketch said:

nope even with that havent found one

Then I’m out. That’s the best chance to find one thats suits you the best. 

Edited by Percieval

I dont unterstand all the Whining about Bugs. Im a Solo Player and 90 hours now in the Game.

I got:

A nice Claim where my Base dont decays, with Access to the most Ressources i need every Day.

A Nice Ship, that im currently using to Explore the Seas for Ressources i need at home.

Fur/Hide Armor and every Firearm(Pistol, Blunder, Carbine) at least 1 Times.

Lvl 36 and Counting

Sloop has Lvl 10 (Its my Second, First one Got Shredded by Ship of the Damned, but hey it looked really cool!)

And a lot of Fun, a few Bugs are in every Early Access game, like the Predators and Spamming Wood Gatesm but i think even now u can have a lot of fun with this Game.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jorm said:

I dont unterstand all the Whining about Bugs. Im a Solo Player and 90 hours now in the Game.

I got:

A nice Claim where my Base dont decays, with Access to the most Ressources i need every Day.

A Nice Ship, that im currently using to Explore the Seas for Ressources i need at home.

Lvl 36 and Counting

Sloop has Lvl 10 (Its my Second, First one Got Shredded by Ship of the Damned, but hey it looked really cool!)

And a lot of Fun, a few Bugs are in every Early Access game, like the Predators and Spamming Wood Gatesm but i think even now u can have a lot of fun with this Game.

Same, dude. Posted a reply to someone regarding claims and how to get one as a solo, yet that someone continues to blame the game. After writing another response I just deleted it saying "fk it" to myself, can't be bothered. It's as if people want to get everything without even trying or putting minimal effort into the game by playing it. 

Another type of whiners are where they feel bullied when playing solo because they can't compete against a huge company. Imagine being in a huge company and getting wrecked by a solo player, seems fair lol. Pathetic.

Anyway, glad there are solo players who are also enjoying the game just like me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jorm said:

I got:

Lvl 36 and Counting

Not me, quite the opposite. 

20 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

Not even close!!!

You walk into a dealership looking for that great deal, you ask about the Accura they want 29,500 for it and you wont budge past 19.  They show you the Prius talk about how its really fuel effiecent, but your not falling for that crap you know your going to need to plug the damn thing in and what a hassle that will be...  They show you 5 other models but they all seem to just not be good value...  No you want something cheeper!

So one of the salesmen points you to the Used Beamer tagged at 18,000 its got power everything, the paintjob is pristine, seems almost too good to be true.  But its got 300,000 miles on it already?  WTF how does it have so many miles its only a 2016 model?!?  Oh well it looks nice and its in your budget, you can just imagine the girls into you as you drive up in that Beamer....  So your like okay I will take it...

Then your story above happens!!!  Thats a bit closer to being the EA metaphor then what you wrote!!!

Sorry as a car salesman in real life.. I find this story comical.  Because as a customer you tried to lowball the car, then got butt hurt when he showed you what a 19k car is.  And ended up leaving in something totally not what you was expecting.  

People seem to think that cars are marked up 10k over what they are actually selling for.  Not anymore, with the internet most dealerships HAVE to keep their prices low to compete with each other because of the ability to use sites like carguru, truecar and others like it.   Now if most people would understand that the fact they dont pay their bills or have established credit and their trade and downpayment have a bigger effect on what they are paying than the actual vehicle itself, we would be in the perfect situation.  

I have never seen anyone walk into the grocery store and tell the cashier they dont want to pay 5 dollars for eggs, but will give them 3.  Because that is what they do when they come to my job. 

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

Sorry as a car salesman in real life.. I find this story comical.  Because as a customer you tried to lowball the car, then got butt hurt when he showed you what a 19k car is.  And ended up leaving in something totally not what you was expecting.  

People seem to think that cars are marked up 10k over what they are actually selling for.  Not anymore, with the internet most dealerships HAVE to keep their prices low to compete with each other because of the ability to use sites like carguru, truecar and others like it.   Now if most people would understand that the fact they dont pay their bills or have established credit and their trade and downpayment have a bigger effect on what they are paying than the actual vehicle itself, we would be in the perfect situation.  

I have never seen anyone walk into the grocery store and tell the cashier they dont want to pay 5 dollars for eggs, but will give them 3.  Because that is what they do when they come to my job. 

So this has nothing to do with the point of the post...  But to let myself be derailed yes in your culture people don't haggle at a grocery store but if you go over sea's to other places you will indeed find that people do haggle at grocery stores,  and then lets not even talk about Tipping which again is another vastly different thing depending on where you live!  But again that wasn't the point of this post in the slightest....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulfurblade said:

So this has nothing to do with the point of the post...  But to let myself be derailed yes in your culture people don't haggle at a grocery store but if you go over sea's to other places you will indeed find that people do haggle at grocery stores,  and then lets not even talk about Tipping which again is another vastly different thing depending on where you live!  But again that wasn't the point of this post in the slightest....

I agree it was way off topic, but it is one of those things that eat at me.  I have lived in several countries and I understand the differences in cultures, but it is annoying as hell when someone seems to think that all anyone at a dealership wants to do is rip them off.  

21 hours ago, Hodo said:

Except if it was a good game they wouldn’t be able to get away with it. There is a reason why almost every single review was bad and it isn’t shock factor.

18 minutes ago, Realist said:

Except if it was a good game they wouldn’t be able to get away with it. There is a reason why almost every single review was bad and it isn’t shock factor.

Even "good" games some of these reviewers yell about.  Fallout 4 when it came out... oh god it was the worst thing since the mongol invasion.   Fallout 3.... was perfect... according to some of these reviewers.  YET several years earlier... Fallout 3 was crap and how modders had to fix it and how it was nothing like the original Fallout.   

All people want to do is bash on things to make themselves feel better about how bad their lives actually are.    

In short is Atlas perfect, far from it.  But is it unplayable, no, it launched playable, it just took a little effort on the players part to get there.  Ye they patched every 10min for the first week.   But they fixed a lot of the major issues that were causing crashes, lag, and random desyncing issues.  Now they are working on balancing, improvements and refinements.  While continuing to fix bugs and exploits.   

Am I glad I bought the game, yes.  It is pretty much what I expected, but I am a realist.   I have played enough beta and alpha tests to know that there are going to be a lot of issues for months if not years.   I can remember CCPs greatest blunder was the .ini boot patch that wiped the .ini file from some people's computer....  they even put some boots in game to make fun of themselves because of it.

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

Even "good" games some of these reviewers yell about.  Fallout 4 when it came out... oh god it was the worst thing since the mongol invasion.   Fallout 3.... was perfect... according to some of these reviewers.  YET several years earlier... Fallout 3 was crap and how modders had to fix it and how it was nothing like the original Fallout.   

All people want to do is bash on things to make themselves feel better about how bad their lives actually are.    

In short is Atlas perfect, far from it.  But is it unplayable, no, it launched playable, it just took a little effort on the players part to get there.  Ye they patched every 10min for the first week.   But they fixed a lot of the major issues that were causing crashes, lag, and random desyncing issues.  Now they are working on balancing, improvements and refinements.  While continuing to fix bugs and exploits.   

Am I glad I bought the game, yes.  It is pretty much what I expected, but I am a realist.   I have played enough beta and alpha tests to know that there are going to be a lot of issues for months if not years.   I can remember CCPs greatest blunder was the .ini boot patch that wiped the .ini file from some people's computer....  they even put some boots in game to make fun of themselves because of it.

Ok, so it is our job to put in the effort to make sure it’s playable. Makes sense with how this company is

2 minutes ago, Realist said:

Ok, so it is our job to put in the effort to make sure it’s playable. Makes sense with how this company is

People who were complaining at launch of lag and other issues, never touched their settings in game.  They never turned down things because their once top of the line PC is now a potato.   They hung out in WAY overpopulated areas instead of moving out to less populated zones.  These are all things YOU can do to alleviate the stress on your system that is giving you much of the perceived lag and graphic glitches.  It took me an hour to figure out which setting worked best for me, and now I havent had any issues with the game other than a few patches that caused me to disconnect a bit more than I liked.   

On 1/8/2019 at 7:27 AM, mrtrollham said:

Agreed, it does has a lot of potential. Any guesses on time that will take? A year+ IMO.

Early Access is scheduled to last for 2 years.  After that?  Maybe release but more likely a Beta phase to polish up loose ends.

I came into the game eyes wide open... If it doesn't work out then I guess it would've been a better idea to buy that extra large pizza after all.  :classic_cool:

Seriously I got into an Early Access online MMO in 2006 (at the time, "Early Access" meant you got to play after the Beta closed, usually 2-4 weeks before public release)  It had lots of teething issues, particularly outages caused by updates.   Plenty of users demanded a full month refund ($14.95) for a 2 hour outage.  They stopped complaining from embarrassment or quit altogether after those of us who could math pointed out that a 1 day refund (in a 30 day month) would come to a whopping $0.50

4 hours ago, Hambo said:

Early Access is scheduled to last for 2 years.  After that?  Maybe release but more likely a Beta phase to polish up loose ends.

See. Here's the problem. Wildcard (The studio behind this game) has already done this once. We all thought the exact same thing for Ark. We gave them full throated, complete good will and support. 

Then they released from EA and nothing changed. Every patch and DLC was riddled with game-ending bugs, exploits and issues. Most content released did not function in a gameplay environment. Balance and exploit issues persisted for months, if not years (Some never actually ended up being solved). Wildcard has proven themselves once, already, to be incapable of delivering a complete product, testing their content, listening to their community or any of the basic hallmarks of what constitutes an effective and successful EA company, despite having landed a goldmine in the premise of Ark, and now Atlas, they prove, time and time again, that they, as a company, are incompetent to an extreme. 

People here are, rightfully, upset and frustrated with Wildcard. Your analogies don't work here because they are fundamentally flawed in comparison. 

Ark was waaaaaaaaaaaaay better EA than Atlas by far. The Devs for this game are just stupid! 

Way back when Ark was in EA every week or every other week they were adding in new dinos and it kept everyone with that feeling of "cant wait to see the next"

This game EA the Devs spend a lot of time ruining the game with making it unbearable with whales, ghost ships, taking away respecting, ruining the land claim, ect so in stead of that we just cant wait and see whats next we get this bad gut feeling its only going to get worse. Oh wait we get death and taxes woot cant wait for that..

fuck off!

Ich habe auch einen private Servercluster (2x2), 1 Meinserver + 3 Expansionserver. Es spielt sich absolut Top. Da ivh jetzt auch rausgefjnden habe das es einen Mapeditor gibt mit dem man neue Inseln zur Karte hinzufügen kann ist das Spiel sogar noch besser geworden da ich jetzt nicht mehr nur auf die Tropical und Temperateinseln zugriff habe wie es auf einem privaten Server voreingestellt ist. 🙂 Wir haben auf unserem Server 3 Gruppen und einiges an Spaß. 🙂 Weiter so Grapeshot. Btw..  ne bessere Kartenarchitektur für private Server wäre gut da 4 server im cluster, auf dauer, schon recht teuer sind.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:46 PM, Jorm said:

I got:

Lvl 36 and Counting

Good to know you're doing fine but a single success story (and probably coming from someone playing on PvE server) doesn't mean there are no problems.