Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Kappinski

Get rid of explosive barrels. A rework idea.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Sorry for the click bait title 😄

I was thinking about something I find very interesting let me explain my idea.

1. Get rid of explosive barrels like they are now

2. Gunpowder can no longer be placed in any container or storage we currently have

 

Instead, implement another barrel that works more like the water barrel but is filled with gunpowder instead.

This barrel gets heavier the more gunpowder you fill in there. It is the only place where you can put gunpowder after you take it out from mortar & pestle.

This barrel can only be carried by hand (like a penguin) and not placed in any inventory if it is filled with any amount of gunpowder.

This barrel is always explosive and doesn't have to be activated so you can shoot it with any gun to let it explode.

This barrel does damage based on the amount of gunpowder inside.

This barrel is necessary for cannons. It as important as the ammo box container because you will need gunpowder AND cannon balls to operate a cannon.

Gunpowder in this barrel spoils really fast if the barrel comes into contact with rain or with water in general.

Gunpowder wouldn't be necessary to craft cannonballs but to craft other stuff that need gunpowder there must be a barrel in close range to the smithy for example.

 

So why this change?
It would make ship battles much more interesting because you need to design your ship in a way that the gunpowder doesn't get blown up too fast.

It makes ship management more interesting because you need another resource.

It is a high risk, high reward object that you can use to attack other ships and structures but it is very fragile of course. So if you can manage to get a full barrel dry and safe onto another ship. You deserve to make huge damage.

You would need to think about the location where you store gunpowder inside your base and ship.

It gives the player the opportunity to make meaningful decisions. Both for the player owning the barrels and for the player who is attacking.

And to me it sounds like a nice challenge to play with these things.

 

I know I posted a less formulated version of this in suggestions but I feel like the suggestion section is cluttered with months old up-voted threads nobody needs anymore. So here we go!

 

Edited by Kappinski
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like  your idea for explosive barrels, but for cannon balls if feels like overcomplicating something that works pretty well. It also adds the possibility of getting blown up with a lucky shot which it doesnt feel like the right move for pvp. World of Tanks has a similar mechanic, and it's one of the main sources of frustration and cheating acusations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, znasser said:

i like  your idea for explosive barrels, but for cannon balls if feels like overcomplicating something that works pretty well. It also adds the possibility of getting blown up with a lucky shot which it doesnt feel like the right move for pvp. World of Tanks has a similar mechanic, and it's one of the main sources of frustration and cheating acusations.

I never played world of tanks but I guess you cannot build your own tanks right?
The possibility I see here is that you have to think about the location of these barrels on your ship very carefully.

That makes it more complicated, yes, but also it makes the ship part more deep. Do you spread your gunpowder over a lot of barrels rather than one big barrel to minimize the loss of everything at once and to minimize the destructive potential? Doing this the chance of blowing up would increase.

But if you use just one barrel the chance is minimal but IF it blows up it does a lot of damage.

Every ship gets a weak point and you have to decide where it is. And your enemy could do spy missions to find out or just be lucky.
From a PvP perspective: You could go with less walls as possible to have a faster ship but that makes you more vulnerable. I think it is a good trade off but you might be right. 🙂

This would probably make bigger ships stronger in comparison to smaller ships like Brig vs Schooner because the brig can take more interior walls to protect the gunpowder barrels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kappinski said:

I never played world of tanks but I guess you cannot build your own tanks right?
The possibility I see here is that you have to think about the location of these barrels on your ship very carefully.

That makes it more complicated, yes, but also it makes the ship part more deep. Do you spread your gunpowder over a lot of barrels rather than one big barrel to minimize the loss of everything at once and to minimize the destructive potential? Doing this the chance of blowing up would increase.

But if you use just one barrel the chance is minimal but IF it blows up it does a lot of damage.

Every ship gets a weak point and you have to decide where it is. And your enemy could do spy missions to find out or just be lucky.
From a PvP perspective: You could go with less walls as possible to have a faster ship but that makes you more vulnerable. I think it is a good trade off but you might be right. 🙂

This would probably make bigger ships stronger in comparison to smaller ships like Brig vs Schooner because the brig can take more interior walls to protect the gunpowder barrels.

Bigger ships are already much stronger than smaller ships. 

What you propose is to divide a tedious task like refiling ammo boxes in two, to be forced to play hide and seek with the gunpowder barrell and give the ships the random chance to be blown up by a lucky shot. What's the improvement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, znasser said:

Bigger ships are already much stronger than smaller ships. 

What you propose is to divide a tedious task like refiling ammo boxes in two, to be forced to play hide and seek with the gunpowder barrel and give the ships the random chance to be blown up by a lucky shot. What's the improvement?

We don't have to agree on this point 🙂
But I think a tedious task is "tedious" because it has no meaning and no impact besides "get stuff from A to B"
 

The improvement I see is that every action regarding gunpowder becomes more meaningful than just refilling a box. Even refilling your ship is spiced up because the most efficient way to do this is also the most dangerous. Carry a full barrel onto the ship. You could just fill your inventory but THIS is tedious.

Crafting and storing gunpowder in your base? You could use 100 Mortar & Pestle and just craft it in advance but this seems very tedious to me. OR you build a protected storage with barrels that you can carry onto a ship.

The thing is and that's the main improvement in my opinion. You have a choice! You can decide how to handle this and live with all consequences, good or bad. It requires an element of thought if you look at those changes in connection to each other. It is by no means "just another container to fill".

If you decide to use 1 barrel as an explosive weapon in any situation it is always a trade off because you limit your ability to load your cannons. So it is a meaningful decision the player has to make.

But again. It is fine if we have different opinions. That's what this forum is for, right? 😄

So to get back to the topic. What would you change? That they don't blow up? Keep Explosive barrels and just add the new barrels as cosmetic storage? You are worried about the situation where your ship is still good. Lots of repairs and ammo but you are missing one god damn plank on your brig and a schooner comes by and shoots at your gunpowder storage out of luck. Right?
I wouldn't say that your whole ship blows up. Maybe destroy 2 or 3 ceilings/walls in close range. This is not meant to be a death switch. But if this is the only gunpowder barrel on your ship. You cannot load your cannons anymore. Which is interesting in my opinion because you could have built a second barrel and placed it somewhere else to keep your ship operational. This situation shouts the me "come on board my ship, we cannot shoot" 😛 And it is everyone's own fault because of the way they designed their ship.

So I wouldn't "kill" ships with that. It should do decent damage. But If you could disable their ability to shoot because they don't have any gunpowder. Doesn't this sound like a nice turn in a fight?

Maybe I am too optimistic about that 😄
Have a nice day.

 

Edited by Kappinski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sounds like more work.  More responsibility.  More that can go wrong.  There are enough things to worry about and adding another job on a ship, another thing that can literally blow up in your face sounds like a bad idea. 

Edited by DocHolliday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

High risk, high reward. I like it. The more gunpowder in the barrel more damage and more heavy. It would be awesome to make it impossible for gliders in tower to use this tactic, they will need weight to carry a barrel that will do more damage. We kill two birds in a row. Increased weight when carrying a barrel, increase the fall speed and gliding speed when using glider. That will be awesome. Also shooting a glider and exploding him would be fun to watch. You could decide if you go with a 20% barrel or 30% barrel or 100% full gunpowder barrel. More weight= more damage. We will have the option of using 5 barrels of 20% or one of 100%, when having a barrel of 100% is overkill most times.

Edited by Emanuel a
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×