Jump to content

PSA to Xbox players regarding low FPS Read more... ×
Unable to gain experience points in Freeports? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
gnihar

officialpvp Lawless after wipe?

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

im almost certain lawless is gonna be the go to spots for instant pvp, considering all the new rules planned. i'm excited. 

Considering lawless borders freeports, it'll make it really interesting for anyone who wants to go get NPCs, lol.  Gonna have to sail through lawless to get there, and there'll be PVP hunters everywhere.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ikarirain said:

Considering lawless borders freeports, it'll make it really interesting for anyone who wants to go get NPCs, lol.  Gonna have to sail through lawless to get there, and there'll be PVP hunters everywhere.  

also, if you read the captain's log "golden age of piracy", it mentions

  • More MMO aspects: player markets, player-specified automatic trade routes, additional quests, and daily missions

"automatic trade routes" Can you imagine??? Now thats gonna be lit. When that's released i can see people focusing on attacking those freighters for the sheer profit and people following around trying to protect the cargo train from pirates. People complaining like there isn't gonna be pvp everywhere even with the new rules lol... they have no idea. It's gonna be epic. im amped. what about you?

Edited by Enki Anunnaki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Arykos said:

That's not gonna like to happen

You underestimate the number of trolls in the game who'd gladly wait around the freeport edge of lawless zones looking for a quick and easy kill, lol.  But, I do believe most of the actual PvP will boil down to wars and skirmishes between actual companies.  Since you can't actively harm stuff on islands except during war or the raidable hours, there will probably be companies setting up blockades to sink incoming/outgoing ships, blockade runners who try to get past them, mounting tensions which lead to war.

 

The island owners will be heavily responsible for building the defenses on their islands, since non-owner residents cant build any land defenses.  The only exception to this is during war or (I'd hope) during raidable hours.  Otherwise you're gonna have one company with defenses easily being overwhelmed by another company that simply lands on the opposite side of the island where no defenses exist.

 

5 minutes ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

also, if you read the captain's log "golden age of piracy", it mentions

  • More MMO aspects: player markets, player-specified automatic trade routes, additional quests, and daily missions

"automatic trade routes" Can you imagine??? Now thats gonna be lit. When that's released i can see people focusing on attacking those freighters for the sheer profit and people following around trying to protect the cargo train from pirates. People complaining like there isn't gonna be pvp everywhere even with the new rules lol... they have no idea. It's gonna be awesome.

The player markets are already confirmed as coming up soon.  They've specifically said they can be placed in freeports, and they've said the markets can be taxed by a claim owner when inside a claim, but they haven't explicitly said whether or not these markets can be placed in lawless or unclaimed areas (which I'm hoping for, cause I build my trade posts in lawless on {PvE).  The trade routes would be interesting, although I hope they give the option of paying extra for NPC escort ships or something.  It'd be cheaper to follow with your own ship as an escort, but the option to pay for an escort isn't a horrible idea either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ikarirain said:

You underestimate the number of trolls in the game who'd gladly wait around the freeport edge of lawless zones looking for a quick and easy kill, lol.  But, I do believe most of the actual PvP will boil down to wars and skirmishes between actual companies.  Since you can't actively harm stuff on islands except during war or the raidable hours, there will probably be companies setting up blockades to sink incoming/outgoing ships, blockade runners who try to get past them, mounting tensions which lead to war.

 

The island owners will be heavily responsible for building the defenses on their islands, since non-owner residents cant build any land defenses.  The only exception to this is during war or (I'd hope) during raidable hours.  Otherwise you're gonna have one company with defenses easily being overwhelmed by another company that simply lands on the opposite side of the island where no defenses exist.

 

The player markets are already confirmed as coming up soon.  They've specifically said they can be placed in freeports, and they've said the markets can be taxed by a claim owner when inside a claim, but they haven't explicitly said whether or not these markets can be placed in lawless or unclaimed areas (which I'm hoping for, cause I build my trade posts in lawless on {PvE).  The trade routes would be interesting, although I hope they give the option of paying extra for NPC escort ships or something.  It'd be cheaper to follow with your own ship as an escort, but the option to pay for an escort isn't a horrible idea either.

Yep. That would be a cool idea. I’m really into automatic trade ships/routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

im almost certain lawless is gonna be the go to spots for instant pvp, considering all the new rules planned. i'm excited. 

i am certain the big companies will avoid land pvp on lawless. They will be too focused to prepare wars for claimed to bother about lawless.

Would really appreciate devs jumping in here and state their intention for lawless: will they let us live here, or will they damage decay everything with no auto-repair and make enemy pillars able to be built right next to ours and thus destroy lawless.

This is important for people like me who loved lawless but now if they destroy it, will likely leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, gnihar said:

i am certain the big companies will avoid land pvp on lawless. They will be too focused to prepare wars for claimed to bother about lawless.

Would really appreciate devs jumping in here and state their intention for lawless: will they let us live here, or will they damage decay everything with no auto-repair and make enemy pillars able to be built right next to ours and thus destroy lawless.

This is important for people like me who loved lawless but now if they destroy it, will likely leave.

Well, it's called lawless for a reason. it wasn't meant to be claimed.. it was meant as a launching point for groups that didnt conquer an island yet, for pvp and shady dealings.. people like you were bypassing that aspect and ruining lawless with the lame ass pillar/foundation spam... so if that means you'll leave, sounds good to me. 

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

Well, it's called lawless for a reason. it wasn't meant to be claimed.. it was meant as a launching point for groups that didnt conquer an island yet, for pvp and shady dealings.. people like you were bypassing that aspect and ruining lawless with the lame ass pillar/foundation spam... so if that means you'll leave, sounds good to me. 

Well, its a stretch to assume he was someone who spammed pillars across entire islands.  I didn't see any point where he claimed as much, lol.  On the other hand, I've seen limited pillar/foundation spam on lawless that was used as an anti-griefing measure (preventing someone else from surrounding their house and preventing expansion).  Even I've used it in limited cases to prevent others from griefing my stuff. 

 

For the record, it is entirely possible to build in a location, only for someone to spam pillars as close to you as possible, preventing you from not only expanding, but even adding walls to the outermost edge of your constructions.  Using pillars and foundations as an anti-griefing measure is a legitimate tactic.  However, when it's abused to cover an island in foundations/pillars (or in one case, flooding the entire island's coast with gates), that's when it becomes a problem.

 

If the repair building has a limited range, that would allow you to build and maintain pillars within that range, that's fine with me.  Pillarspamming an island will require so many resources for repair that it'll just be unsustainable.  But localized pillarspamming, for the sake of anti-griefing, I'm fine with that.  The truth is, though, that any mechanic that can be abused, will be abused.  There's always going to be a way to grief someone in Atlas.  In a way, the claim system was able to prevent that kind of griefing, but then it became abusable and a tool for griefing on its own.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

Well, it's called lawless for a reason. it wasn't meant to be claimed.. it was meant as a launching point for groups that didnt conquer an island yet, for pvp and shady dealings.. people like you were bypassing that aspect and ruining lawless with the lame ass pillar/foundation spam... so if that means you'll leave, sounds good to me. 

I am a person who dislikes claim system as it is, and will likely dislike new claiming system and my role in the ecosystem like that.

In my intro statement I believe I made this clear. But I am not alone. Huge numbers of people have set home at lawless: those who disliked claimed, pople not interested in claim vs claim warfare, smaller companies and such. Had a good time there, frankly, not smothered by large tribe and all that it brings.

Foundation spam can indeed be anti-raid tactics, and if applied that way, it can be considered a legitimate defensive measure, that can severely limit and dissuade tribes with limited time and resource to attack you, and move on to a less protected target. As such, it should not be viewed as something that doesn't belong on PVP servers.

With these two statement set, I believe I made the point clear, without the need to further degrade this discussion with diminutive statements and ad hominem stuff.

Some people have one vision. Lawless as transition areas. Other people, and by what I have seen they are many, consider lawless as preferred permanent home, because they do not wish to contend with claim mechanic or be a second or a slave to zerg.

That is exactly why I posted this - to see people's opinions and maybe hook up a dev here to clarify this: not only to me but to many many others who like lawless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gnihar said:

I am a person who dislikes claim system as it is, and will likely dislike new claiming system and my role in the ecosystem like that.

In my intro statement I believe I made this clear. But I am not alone. Huge numbers of people have set home at lawless: those who disliked claimed, pople not interested in claim vs claim warfare, smaller companies and such. Had a good time there, frankly, not smothered by large tribe and all that it brings.

Foundation spam can indeed be anti-raid tactics, and if applied that way, it can be considered a legitimate defensive measure, that can severely limit and dissuade tribes with limited time and resource to attack you, and move on to a less protected target. As such, it should not be viewed as something that doesn't belong on PVP servers.

With these two statement set, I believe I made the point clear, without the need to further degrade this discussion with diminutive statements and ad hominem stuff.

Some people have one vision. Lawless as transition areas. Other people, and by what I have seen they are many, consider lawless as preferred permanent home, because they do not wish to contend with claim mechanic or be a second or a slave to zerg.

That is exactly why I posted this - to see people's opinions and maybe hook up a dev here to clarify this: not only to me but to many many others who like lawless.

please understand that they are adding 1-2 new islands per grid. claiming an island will be much easier but more expensive to claim more than one island. It will be so much easier for solo's and small groups to set up shop on any island now without being taxed to death especially since the player population is down compared to the first days. Gone are the days of claiming lawless with spam. lawless will be the hell hole it was meant to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

please understand that they are adding 1-2 new islands per grid. claiming an island will be much easier but more expensive to claim more than one island. It will be so much easier for solo's and small groups to set up shop on any island now without being taxed to death especially since the player population is down compared to the first days. Gone are the days of claiming lawless with spam. lawless will be the hell hole it was meant to be. 

Yes that might very well be. However, I for one do not appreciate when game mechanic forces me to play the way someone's envisioned - and that someone might not have any idea what player base wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

please understand that they are adding 1-2 new islands per grid. claiming an island will be much easier but more expensive to claim more than one island. It will be so much easier for solo's and small groups to set up shop on any island now without being taxed to death especially since the player population is down compared to the first days. Gone are the days of claiming lawless with spam. lawless will be the hell hole it was meant to be. 

But how expensive.. when you have an elephant and a bear the upkeep will be easy af. I’m really wondering what the devs have in mind to tackle the mega companies controlling 100 islands in cartel form. It’s easily done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gnihar said:

Yes that might very well be. However, I for one do not appreciate when game mechanic forces me to play the way someone's envisioned - and that someone might not have any idea what player base wants.

bro...that someone might just be you.. lol.. the player base has been crying out to make these changes for a long time... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Enki Anunnaki said:

bro...that someone might just be you.. lol.. the player base has been crying out to make these changes for a long time... 

By what I have seen on social network platforms, forums, and even in game itself if you want, very few people have been repeating the "lawless are not mean to be home" mantra. Seems to me the majority of lawless denizens actually like it there, for reasons I stated before. After all, that is why I have posted this topic: to see the general opinion on the lawless and seek extra clarifications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Percieval said:

But how expensive.. when you have an elephant and a bear the upkeep will be easy af. I’m really wondering what the devs have in mind to tackle the mega companies controlling 100 islands in cartel form. It’s easily done. 

from what i've read, it seems they are incorporating gold costs per flag (which means per island), compounding for each one you have... the gold costs would need to be pretty high to counter the mega's from completely dominating the map.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Enki Anunnaki said:

from what i've read, it seems they are incorporating gold costs per flag (which means per island), compounding for each one you have... the gold costs would need to be pretty high to counter the mega's from completely dominating the map.  

Gold for flags? I thought it was resources upkeep. If it is only gold, it is better. But that means it can still suck after a while with the OP bear and treasure maps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Gold for flags? I thought it was resources upkeep. If it is only gold, it is better. But that means it can still suck after a while with the OP bear and treasure maps. 

i think the resources are for the structures themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Percieval said:

Gold for flags? I thought it was resources upkeep. If it is only gold, it is better. But that means it can still suck after a while with the OP bear and treasure maps. 

Gold for claim, auto repair for building blocks, as I understood it is 2 separate blueprints.

 

Question here is, while we know there is no claim on lawless, thankfully, will auto repair be possible on lawless, and how would it work exactly.

Edited by gnihar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well i see that lawless is there for people to stepping stone out of freeports. Okay so it IS that, and even while settled by some permanent residents, it still is that. While based on lawless i do not try to hinder others on the island, or block off resource nodes, if some dude is building a schooner on the other side of the island, i let him do his thing, if he starts triggering my puckles more than id like, now we have a conflict. 

 

Where i am going with this now that we,ve established that dudes can build a schooner on lawless, and you can, on most all of them. Is that there is a second use for lawless. It is the only pirate heaven. And this game requires a pirate heaven so that mega companies can have to deal with pirates.. Because if you have only megas on claimed land, and no safe heaven for pirates, well then you have just a war game, not a pirate game..

 

And before you say "pirate themed" or whatever snappy its not a pirate game  comment youre thinking about typing, just remeber you ARE getting a pirate hat for compensation for the wipe, and with that in mind i think we can conclude that it is a pirate game... 

 

So really what im saying, is if i cant "small tribe" or better named "pirate company" in lawless "pirates heaven" well then it just makes that PIRATE hat, just useless doesnt it? May as well just give us navy hat instead hey?

Edited by Bloody Blackjack
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, they are sadly connected with freeport areas ,and, again sadly, that implies that they are meant as "intermediate" areas before you either:

- with 199 other people in your zerg move to claimed to do zerg vs zerg (and stream it of course), gaining all dev love or

- solo or with few close friends, you move post wipe to a new lawless to be a junior or insignificant partner/slave to a zerg who can, anytime he wants, wipe you with mortars and 1 cannon if you do not slave enough or grow too big for their taste; or integrate into zerg, again gaining all dev love (?)

Now, in reality, this did not happen.

In reality, so many individuals and companies decided to stay there, and actually had more fun than slaving and fighting lost battles with zerg.

So, it is only logical that devs adapt to this situation, and make lawless viable to live.

What I would love to see, and I wager many many others, would be to:

- add auto repair (area effect) on lawless too

- increase foundations build blocking range again

- add damage decay so troll builds without auto repair decay rapidly

Edited by gnihar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After sailing around a bit, I managed to find another good example of extreme foundation spam, and likely some cheating involved, since you'll notice right away how 100% perfectly aligned every foundation is (though I suppose it IS possible to do it manually).  Stuff like this is why I would clearly prefer microphobe's talk of binding the repair building only to connected buildings.  This shot was taken on the largest island in D7, and nearly the entire island is covered.

20190313202413_1.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just leave lawless as it is now.

I dont have to pay 30% to my slaver dominus.

I have the same ressource availability as on claimed islands.

My slaver can not come and destroy my home with a click.

I am allowed to build cannons and shoot guys i dont like, e.g. megatribe slavers

ONLY advantages over becoming a megatribe slave on a claim island.

Concerning the image above : No problem, i shoot a place to live out of these foundations😉

Edited by Talono
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Talono said:

Just leave lawless as it is now.

I dont have to pay 30% to my slaver dominus.

I have the same ressource availability as on claimed islands.

My slaver can not come and destroy my home with a click.

I am allowed to build cannons and shoot guys i dont like, e.g. megatribe slavers

ONLY advantages over becoming a megatribe slave on a claim island.

Concerning the image above : No problem, i shoot a place to live out of these foundations😉

Stop crying all the time, my god. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Percieval said:

Stop crying all the time, my god. 

I'd rather have people repeatedly raising their concerns, dislikes and unhappiness with the game than have people telling others to shut up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

I'd rather have people repeatedly raising their concerns, dislikes and unhappiness with the game than have people telling others to shut up.

Oh I’m all up for it. But this guy has been flat out pessimistic about the entire new system and calling out slave and slavers all the time - even though there already was a slave - slaver system in the game, since large companies could just farm the little ones. Now we and they are just gonna do it in a certain timeframe so it’s based off of nothing, hell it’s even made better. When Realist did the exact same thing people were all falling over him and the world was too small. Have my piece of gratitude. 

Edited by Percieval

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×