Percieval

March update: concerns

These are my concerns when I quickly run through the captain’s log. Feel free to react to the points if you agree or disagree.

General 

- Structures that are built on islands that are not Settlements can be raided at any moment

Why aren’t all island settlements? Or is this only limited to boss islands? This would give a huge disadvantage to the players on the non-settlement owners. Which will probably be the outskirts of the settlements, mostly solo players that need to benefit from this update more than the large companies. 

Claim flags

- There will be a hard limit on the total of claim flags per company. For example, 20.

I’m in a large company at the moment and I believe 20 is too much. That’s 20 islands, or 12,5 crew members per island with the cap of 250 members. All I can see in the future is us having 20 islands, whenever there’s a war or it’s raid time, all the rest of the company only need to defend 1 island at that time, or maybe a few more. The only way a war could be really effective against a large company would be if you declare war on all of the 20 islands at once, do a surprise attack on one of them and be fast enough to wipe something before all of the crew members have spawned on the island to defend it. What could work is to stop respawning at certain beds, or to make it so that you can’t respawn at beds during war times. Especially since you can spawn in every grid except gold ruins. 

Settlements

- Settlement owners must set a window of vulnerability, currently set to 9 hours, where their island is raidable. Outside of this window, players, structures and ships will not take damage from other players.

9 hours to me seems a lot. So I’m really interested in what period. 9 hours per 3 days? Per week? Per day is certainly way too much. This is not company based, which is a bit weird in my opinion. Why not make it 12 hours for large companies and maybe 4 hours for small companies.

- Anchored boats or docked boats will follow these same rules, if they are in the radius of the settlement.

This sounds to me as this; I just gathered a lot of gold and resources from other islands, I’m being attacked/chased down by an enemy ship, I get into someone’s or my own settlement territory, anchor up and I’m invincible. This could be exploited badly, my suggestion: Ships are still vulnerable until the cooldown of 30 seconds after the drop of the anchor has depleted. This does not apply to SoTD.

- Settlement owners can freely damage other characters and structures on their island.

I hope it is not like it’s stated to be. I can vanish entire buildings of people if I want to, I can break in, steal someone’s resources and be gone. What if you cap it with a timer. ‘Settlement owners are only able to destroy 5 building structures (walls, foundations etc) every x amount of hours.’ This means people can build bases where the loot is safe, behind some walls for example. The settlement owner can’t take your loot, there is no point in destroying your base other than loose pillars and foundations laying about. The ‘destroyed’ structured will be placed in your resource box, so there is no disadvantage if the settlement owner destroys cannons etc. And in the time of 5 hours, new people can settle in, or structures replaced to stop the settlement owner from getting to your resources.

- Wars will last a fixed period of time

In the stream, Jat said 12 or 24 hours. Why not determine the war time on the island’s level? If I have a huge island with a big company, I should be able to be attacked longer than they are to defend their small island.

I believe some of the suggestions given, like the raid and war times are decent enough to make the gap between small and large companies, smaller.

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

Claim flag upkeep 

- The upkeep cost will scale on the size of the island, the total number of claim flags a company has, and how many different companies/players are building the island. 

So the amount of people determine how much the upkeep will be. Does this mean there’s something like a 60-40 ratio where the settlement owner pays for 60% for the upkeep and the other 40% is divided over the other groups on the island? It wouldn’t be right to make everything dependant on the people living on your settlement. There needs to be some kind of disadvantage to the settlement owner. At this moment I can’t find one. 

• Like 1

there you go why raid them settle them with people don't farm the island and break the bank

9 minutes ago, Mrbiggs said:

there you go why raid them settle them with people don't farm the island and break the bank

Good point. What about this:

Taxed items are not from harvests, but get picked out of your repair structure. Meaning you will always need to pay taxes, otherwise your structures will decay and eventually dissapear. The taxation percentage is determined by the amount of structures you own on the island. And is only changable when capturing the flag. 

If there is no repair bank present, your structures will decay faster since those are getting taxed. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

Declaring war 

Players can purchase a war token (significant cost) which can be used to declare war on an islans.

I really like the fact you need to purchase a war token. But as I said before, to harm the large companies with approx. 20 islands, you need to declare war on almost every one of those islands. So smaller groups or solo groups won’t be able to do much damage to a large company. It’s a really big balance thing here. Small groups/solo groups will stay on the same old road of hoping to not get attacked and just defend your asses off. 

23 hours ago, Percieval said:

These are my concerns when I quickly run through the captain’s log. Feel free to react to the points if you agree or disagree.

General 

- Structures that are built on islands that are not Settlements can be raided at any moment

Why aren’t all island settlements? Or is this only limited to boss islands? This would give a huge disadvantage to the players on the non-settlement owners. Which will probably be the outskirts of the settlements, mostly solo players that need to benefit from this update more than the large companies. 

Islands only become settlements if someone claims the island. I believe all islands can be claimed besides Golden Age Ruins and Freeports etc.

23 hours ago, Percieval said:

Settlements

- Settlement owners can freely damage other characters and structures on their island.

I hope it is not like it’s stated to be. I can vanish entire buildings of people if I want to, I can break in, steal someone’s resources and be gone. What if you cap it with a timer. ‘Settlement owners are only able to destroy 5 building structures (walls, foundations etc) every x amount of hours.’ This means people can build bases where the loot is safe, behind some walls for example. The settlement owner can’t take your loot, there is no point in destroying your base other than loose pillars and foundations laying about. The ‘destroyed’ structured will be placed in your resource box, so there is no disadvantage if the settlement owner destroys cannons etc. And in the time of 5 hours, new people can settle in, or structures replaced to stop the settlement owner from getting to your resources.

This is something that is certainly confusing. This is what they were saying on stream about if you don't want people building on your claim then you can stop them but it will be more expensive for the settlement owner to pay upkeep. But this raises the question as to why would anyone want to build on a settlement if their structures and loot etc are at risk by the settlement owner. It seems odd to me, but maybe there is more detail to come.

Indeed why build on a.island if the owner can demolish at will. You pay tax/upkeep for the owner but if he doesn't like you our your build/spot of building he just wipe your progress. Where is the protection of the small man? Move to another island... Yes and have the chance of the same.

This part keeps me from playing PvP.  And pve is not a alternative anymore. That will be Pilar/foundation griever heaven.

35 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Islands only become settlements if someone claims the island. I believe all islands can be claimed besides Golden Age Ruins and Freeports etc.

Yes but here is where my confusion kicks in, does this mean there are islands that can’t be claimed, or are all islands claimable and they’re just talking about what you say. I hope it’s what you say it is. 

• Like 1

Just now, Percieval said:

Yes but here is where my confusion kicks in, does this mean there are islands that can’t be claimed, or are all islands claimable and they’re just talking about what you say. I hope it’s what you say it is. 

I believe they said on stream only Golden Age can't be claimed, and of course freeports/lawless.

40 minutes ago, awakatanka said:

Indeed why build on a.island if the owner can demolish at will. You pay tax/upkeep for the owner but if he doesn't like you our your build/spot of building he just wipe your progress. Where is the protection of the small man? Move to another island... Yes and have the chance of the same.

This part keeps me from playing PvP.  And pve is not a alternative anymore. That will be Pilar/foundation griever heaven.

Pillar and floor spam will be also a problem for pvp. But here can the owner remove them. So many players are spaming, gates, walling regions and build useless oversitzed struktures. Islands need do be moderated by anyone. The players have to consider each other and not just do what they want. Because you are not alone in the world, you can not just build as you want. Spawning and mobility should not be restricted and consideration should be given to those with poor performance rather than concretizing the world with useless decoration objects.

6 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Pillar and floor spam will be also a problem for pvp. But here can the owner remove them. So many players are spaming, gates, walling regions and build useless oversitzed struktures. Islands need do be moderated by anyone. The players have to consider each other and not just do what they want. Because you are not alone in the world, you can not just build as you want. Spawning and mobility should not be restricted and consideration should be given to those with poor performance rather than concretizing the world with useless decoration objects.

Sure they need to be moderated, but by someone with decency. If you have some kind of ass that you don’t like and he had a head start in building etc, it’s hard to kick him off the throne. 

• Like 1

Lawless region islands will still exist around freeports afaik so these fall under the non settlement islands can be raided at anytime in addition to the golden age ruins. I honestly don't understand why they can't just get rid of all the lawless zones but it also allows people who want to not live under someone still do that knowing that they can be raided at any moment. With settlements having raid timers I think life in the lawless zones will be even harder in this new system than it was before because people who are intent on griefing and pvping will just go to lawless zones and have at people. Lawless zones are intended to be stepping stones for new players according to the devs. I think they should just do away with lawless zones entirely and only have a couple freeports. During the initial influx on the server (say the first week or two) you can set any server as a home server and spawn on any island you want. Once the initial influx of players is over they can switch it back to freeports only for new players. Just my opinion though.

14 minutes ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

Lawless region islands will still exist around freeports afaik so these fall under the non settlement islands can be raided at anytime in addition to the golden age ruins. I honestly don't understand why they can't just get rid of all the lawless zones but it also allows people who want to not live under someone still do that knowing that they can be raided at any moment. With settlements having raid timers I think life in the lawless zones will be even harder in this new system than it was before because people who are intent on griefing and pvping will just go to lawless zones and have at people. Lawless zones are intended to be stepping stones for new players according to the devs. I think they should just do away with lawless zones entirely and only have a couple freeports. During the initial influx on the server (say the first week or two) you can set any server as a home server and spawn on any island you want. Once the initial influx of players is over they can switch it back to freeports only for new players. Just my opinion though.

Hm. What about certain islands that replace lawless islands, that are owned by the game meaning you also have raid hours, you can’t declare war on them and they are not owner by a specific settlement owner. Maybe have a bit higher tax. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

I do get that but what if the owner is a d... There are to many of them ;-). Then make it a vote system and all players on that island decide. And have a x time to vote else your vote counts as yes demolish. The random wipe building is to much power for the owner. The others pay tax/upkeep and help him/her to have more resources/money.   It already will be hard to defend against random little raids without big defences that only the owner can build.

13 minutes ago, awakatanka said:

I do get that but what if the owner is a d... There are to many of them ;-). Then make it a vote system and all players on that island decide. And have a x time to vote else your vote counts as yes demolish. The random wipe building is to much power for the owner. The others pay tax/upkeep and help him/her to have more resources/money.   It already will be hard to defend against random little raids without big defences that only the owner can build.

I’m very afraid we’ll have cartels now. Just groups of people that have their own company but all help each other, claim a lot of lands and when the time comes that there is war or they’re being attacked during a raid; everyone else just joins in. 

• Like 1

There are always opportunities for abuse and assholes. 

However, during my playing time in Atlas, I hardly ever experienced any of them. We have a small main base (3 claims) with friendly neighbors (to whom we ceded territories early because they asked kindly). In addition, I maintain 2 outposts in foreign areas and pay 30% tax. No matter where, there has always been a reasonable dialogue and mutual help.

It should not be forgotten that not only owners of claims can be assholes. Many players behave so badly and stupidly that nobody wants to have them as neighbors.

19 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

There are always opportunities for abuse and assholes. 

However, during my playing time in Atlas, I hardly ever experienced any of them. We have a small main base (3 claims) with friendly neighbors (to whom we ceded territories early because they asked kindly). In addition, I maintain 2 outposts in foreign areas and pay 30% tax. No matter where, there has always been a reasonable dialogue and mutual help.

It should not be forgotten that not only owners of claims can be assholes. Many players behave so badly and stupidly that nobody wants to have them as neighbors.

Sure, but with the new system the opportunities for owners to be assholes would be way more, not only tax. If I was an owner, I would be happy with anyone and everyone on my island, but I would also be a bit scared they’d get rid of me at some point. 

• Like 1

I just hope the devs respond on how they plan to handle the cheating and duping. Otherwise its not worth it on official. Really its boring losing to aimbots and exploits. They have the proof, they failed or failed us the mass player base to do enough about it.

A hand full of names banned is not a problem, its the masses that used the same cheats. Give me a break guys and tell us what you plan to do?

On 3/1/2019 at 8:26 PM, Percieval said:

Claim flag upkeep 

- The upkeep cost will scale on the size of the island, the total number of claim flags a company has, and how many different companies/players are building the island. 

So the amount of people determine how much the upkeep will be. Does this mean there’s something like a 60-40 ratio where the settlement owner pays for 60% for the upkeep and the other 40% is divided over the other groups on the island? It wouldn’t be right to make everything dependant on the people living on your settlement. There needs to be some kind of disadvantage to the settlement owner. At this moment I can’t find one. 

The upkeep cost is determined by the size and quality of the island.

Take this as an upkeep of 100% comprised of a combination of gold and resources.

The full amount of the upkeep is paid by the owner of the island whoever that may be.

The upkeep is withdrawn from the tax bank every payment period.

The whole island is considered taxable territory

If the owner company of the island is alone on the island, meaning that there are no other companies present then the upkeep is 100%

Numbers used are for example only.

If there is one other company building on the island then the total upkeep is reduced to 98% still paid by the owner but he is collecting tax from that other company.

If there are two other companies then 96% etc down to a set minimum.

Non-owner companies never have to pay the upkeep as it all comes from the tax bank. It is the responsibility of the owner company to ensure that the upkeep is met. The easiest way of doing this is trying to encourage many small companies to build and gather on your land as this both reduces your upkeep % and increases the overall amount of taxes you will collect.

9 minutes ago, microphobe said:

The upkeep cost is determined by the size and quality of the island.

Take this as an upkeep of 100% comprised of a combination of gold and resources.

The full amount of the upkeep is paid by the owner of the island whoever that may be.

The upkeep is withdrawn from the tax bank every payment period.

The whole island is considered taxable territory

If the owner company of the island is alone on the island, meaning that there are no other companies present then the upkeep is 100%

Numbers used are for example only.

If there is one other company building on the island then the total upkeep is reduced to 98% still paid by the owner but he is collecting tax from that other company.

If there are two other companies then 96% etc down to a set minimum.

Non-owner companies never have to pay the upkeep as it all comes from the tax bank. It is the responsibility of the owner company to ensure that the upkeep is met. The easiest way of doing this is trying to encourage many small companies to build and gather on your land as this both reduces your upkeep % and increases the overall amount of taxes you will collect.

Upkeep won’t do anything though. Since the OP animals are still here. Maybe the first few days will be hard if you don’t have any animals on the island, but other than that. Land will be divided between the people who share and people that are ...

• Like 1

If the owner thinks that solo player our small company is not playing enough he brings not many resources in the bank he/she will kick you of the island to get a new one . Our will spam you that your a noob and do not know how to play etc and wipe your building to replace you. 

There is no insurance for players that are not a owner. You can be wiped at will and that sucks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, awakatanka said:

If the owner thinks that solo player our small company is not playing enough he brings not many resources in the bank he/she will kick you of the island to get a new one . Our will spam you that your a noob and do not know how to play etc and wipe your building to replace you. 

There is no insurance for players that are not a owner. You can be wiped at will and that sucks

Not if they listen to the players. My suggestion is actually pretty good to deny the owner’s getting rid of everything. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Not if they listen to the players. My suggestion is actually pretty good to deny the owner’s getting rid of everything. 

no this idea is not pretty good, since the opposite is not the solution.. there was a reason why they allowed it... both sucks

1 hour ago, awakatanka said:

This is exactly what will happen no doubt about it.

1 hour ago, awakatanka said:

this is the fear that most have and why i suspect communes will start to pop up with many small groups allying together to overthrow a land owner and set a tax bank to 1% or however much it costs to maintain without profit.

something I hope to see honestly, smaller groups ganging up on the big guys who are being bad landlords.