Tikar

Will Atlas make the same mistake as retail WoW?

6 minutes ago, sand man said:

Lots of people have been asking for an offline mode, like Ark had but the Devs dont listen,, also why should players be forced to play in big groups ?? what bullshit is that.

If the game is designed to be played in large groups, that just how it is.  You don't have to play official, or at all.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Hodo said:

even EVE Online doesn't cater to the solo player... good luck getting and operating a titan by yourself... and keeping it long.

Yeah but eve is super playable without a titan. I don't think many solo players want to operate galleon, they want to operate a bloody schooner without loosing it every night (anong with everything else except character level). Eve absolutely caters to solo players.

Edited by LaiTash
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, arzosah said:

If the game is designed to be played in large groups, that just how it is.  You don't have to play official, or at all.

So screw solo players then, thats this game in a nutshell.

12 minutes ago, arzosah said:

So many keep saying this and yet I cannot find any official statement, verbal or otherwise backing it up. Perhaps people are inventing stuff and projecting their wishes.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Hodo said:

Please, most solo players have built galleons and lost them already

Mind showing me where you got this statistic? Are you on the dev team with access to the player database? Or are you just spewing out random bs and trying to misrepresent it as fact?

18 minutes ago, arzosah said:

If the game is designed to be played in large groups, that just how it is.

Would you mind providing me a link to the document or website that says, "that's how it is."  I can't seem to Google Atlas + "that's how it is"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fefu said:

So many keep saying this and yet I cannot find any official statement, verbal or otherwise backing it up. Perhaps people are inventing stuff and projecting their wishes.

To my knowledge they haven't come out and said it, but many aspects of the game seem to indicate that. 

They change skill cost so you couldn't easily spec very far into multiple tree(unless you got lots of discoveries to increase your level to max)

The fountain of youth is in a location with mobs that will one/two shot you if you go in solo

The whole PvE questing system requires multiple people to kill the Hydras to get the key for the powerstone.

41 minutes ago, Hodo said:

even EVE Online doesn't cater to the solo player... good luck getting and operating a titan by yourself... and keeping it long.

What, in what the OP was responding to, suggested giving solo players the equivalent of Eve Titan-class ships?

43 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I agree there is a place for the randoms, but they need to understand their place in the grand scheme of things.  They are not to be the top, but more or less the bottom, where they should stay.   Like in Eve, if you are a single player and you arent in a major corp you will be a no-body and continue to be a non-factor the whole time you play that game.  And will most likely never see the high end ships like Dreadnaughts, Titans, and carriers.   

Yeah, bad solo players! bad! bad! Group identity is all. Personal accomplishments matter not, it is achieving the group's goals that matter. /sarcasm

The funny thing about that "nobody" sentiment is that many solo players avoid joining large groups to specifically avoid becoming a nobody.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, arzosah said:

To my knowledge they haven't come out and said it, but many aspects of the game seem to indicate that. 

They change skill cost so you couldn't easily spec very far into multiple tree(unless you got lots of discoveries to increase your level to max)

The fountain of youth is in a location with mobs that will one/two shot you if you go in solo

The whole PvE questing system requires multiple people to kill the Hydras to get the key for the powerstone.

The change to skill trees is a good thing. Only single player games offer the whole skill tree and not even then. MMOs are based on choices which inherently means that a single player cannot do everything. You can still play solo or in small groups by either forgoing some content or by allying yourself temporarily to gain access to stuff like end game quests. 

The fountain of youth is mechanic that wil have to be changed simply because in a year's time all newbies on PvP servers will have to face super pirates. Without new players the project will fail - it is simply a basic design flaw in the business models of MMOs. Funnily enough many small group or solo players have managed to get their buff anyway by the exciting mechanic of corpse running.

Nothing you have written implies this game is for large groups. Rather it says that the game is heading towards the norm for an MMO - cater for every demographic possible even if they might not experience the game fully.

• Like 1

Here's the facts.  Megas did not get to be megas by going out in town, standing on a street corner holding a cardboard sign saying, "Join my mega"  Mega's became that by creating an online community comprised of... wait for it... solo players (*look of shock and amazement*). If you get rid of the solo players in an MMO then expect to see megas numbers start to dwindle as... get this, this is good... there won't be anyone for them to recruit when players leave the mega. (*another look of shock and amazement*).  So instead of you lower echelon skull smashers getting on the forums posting with your monosyllabic grunts about how this game isn't for solo's, get your recruiter, who just might know a thing or two about PUBLIC RELATIONS, and have them RECRUIT SOLOS.

Pardon the monosyllabic grunt but... DUH!

Edited by Jean Lafitte

I am a solo player, I don't like working with others in game, I have no desire to join some mega 100+ person company, but I realize that because of that fact there is no chance of me being able to experiencing the whole game on official servers, hints my earlier comment of solo/small groups playing on unofficial servers.  As far as I'm concerned Grapeshot can make this game to cater to larger companies, it doesn't effect how I'm going to play the game.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

What, in what the OP was responding to, suggested giving solo players the equivalent of Eve Titan-class ships?

Yeah, bad solo players! bad! bad! Group identity is all. Personal accomplishments matter not, it is achieving the group's goals that matter. /sarcasm

The funny thing about that "nobody" sentiment is that many solo players avoid joining large groups to specifically avoid becoming a nobody.

Currently what would you call a Galleon?  Seeing as it is the biggest ship currently in game it would be the equivalent of giving them a titan.  

39 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Yeah but eve is super playable without a titan. I don't think many solo players want to operate galleon, they want to operate a bloody schooner without loosing it every night (anong with everything else except character level). Eve absolutely caters to solo players.

Try living in Nullsec as a solo player and survive..  

4 hours ago, LaiTash said:

What do you mean NOW? I've been playing these games since you could play them via telnet client and they've been catering to solo players even then. 

I played one on one vs Wilt chamberlain back in the day, does that count?

Before you ask, yeah he won, but it was close. 21-3

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

Been there, done that, made a bloody fortune off alliances.  But doing that requires a skill in communication which most people severely lack. With that skill, you can convince alliances to set you to blue.  The problem with most people, they assume the solution is with a club and not finesse.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Been there, done that, made a bloody fortune off alliances.  But doing that requires a skill in communication which most people severely lack. With that skill, you can convince alliances to set you to blue.  The problem with most people, they assume the solution is with a club and not finesse.

Wat u meen?

U no pvp?

lulz @ carebear

13 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Currently what would you call a Galleon?  Seeing as it is the biggest ship currently in game it would be the equivalent of giving them a titan. 

In this topic, the only ones mentioning solo players and Galleons besides you are saying they'd have to hire a massive npc crew (if they could even obtain such a ship), or saying solo players generally wouldn't be interested in galleons; and the only mention of Galleons in the Captian's Log the OP was referring to was that it would not be damaged by smaller ships colliding with it.

11 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Wat u meen?

U no pvp?

lulz @ carebear

Funny thing about Eve, there's two ways to win a pvp fight.  Skill points, or money... lots and lots of money. If you lack one, go for the other.  Care to see my fit for a 2 billion isk Arbitrator?

You cant compare this to wow. In wow you have solo/casual expirience but if you want to choose you have heroic/mythic raiding + mythic dungeons which are pretty hard once you past +15 key for casual players. WoW have freedom of choice.

1 hour ago, arzosah said:

Many aspects of the game seem to indicate early access. Like taxation and neutral flags that were probably good on paper but not working in reality.

44 minutes ago, Hodo said:

a) no one is ever forced into living in nullsec

b) i've been doing just that and survived

1 hour ago, sand man said:

So screw solo players then, thats this game in a nutshell.

That is a surprise to you? The facts were staring you right in the face before- and after the launch. Be happy they’re gonna make it more solo friendly. 

2 hours ago, Hodo said:

Exaggerating a bit there ain't you. I played for 12 years from low sec to null to hi sec in small and large corporations and also solo. My last 4 years were solo and they were just as fun as roaming with CA in the early days. The solo player does not get to fly a titan but I know many long time players who refuse to enter one of those death coffins anyway. If I had to choose the trading PvP in Hisec solo or a Titan, I would choose the former without hesitation. In the end I got burnt by Ricdic 🙂 and mostly real life.

tldr - EvE caters well for the solo player especially if you are not averse to living out of lowsec.

Playing solo doesn't mean you don't work with anybody ever.  It doesn't mean you never team up to do something.  I used to have a group of @10-15 friends who all played games together.  As we all grew older, they dropped off one by one with other responsibilities.   I may get 1 or 2 of them to try this, but until then, I'm the only one left.  So I started solo.  Met some pretty good people and it's likely we would have all worked together on some things, except they've all quit because of griefers and hackers.  I'm sure I'll meet some more good people, and we'll work together on some other things.  I wish there was an intermediate level of cooperation.  There's not really anything you can do at the alliance level except chat with each other.

So stop telling solo players to go play single player games.  You have no idea what being a solo player means if you say that.

So why didn't I just jump in and sign up with some big company like some of you keep recommending?

First off, there's too many  requirements -  must use discord, must use voice, must sign up on our website, and on and on.  I don't play that way.  I get a good bit of in-game time, but it's always very interrupted.  I don't have time to manage 4 interfaces for a game.  I just want to play the damn game.

Second -  there are too many players I just want to stay the hell away from.  Someone is doing all that griefing and hacking.  Someone is going around naming their company TRIGGER WARNING with a company flag of 2 crossed penii.  (One of the claims I passed by today)  Someone is spewing racist shit in chat.

The bigger the company, the more likely you have at least one of these eedjits running around in it.  I normally don't start happy hour until 5pm.  If I had to listen to that crap in company chat all day, I'd have to start at 8am.  Games are supposed to make you happy...with or without wine.

Oh, and I also don't want some moronic company leader deciding a mass recruiting drive is a great way to get other people to build all his shit for him, and he can kick them all out after.

None of that means I don't associate with other players or work with them toward something.  I just don't join companies, so by definition, I'm solo.  And you don't get to tell me whether this game is for me.  I get to decide that based on how its developed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Funny thing about Eve, there's two ways to win a pvp fight.  Skill points, or money... lots and lots of money. If you lack one, go for the other.  Care to see my fit for a 2 billion isk Arbitrator?

Not true.. I have had kills on ships that have been worth WAY more than my typical FW fit T1 frigate... I usually run around in a 9mil isk Maulus and I have killed 30-100mil isk ships in that thing.. I have also lost dozens of those ships.   

SP dont matter if you dont know what you are doing.   Again my KB show that fact.  I have quite a few SP, nearly 20mil and I have been WTFPWNed by much newer toons.  

3 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

I'm gonna go with Hodo on this. I'm pretty sure I left EvE with over a 150m skill points and a few trillion ISK and yet the most I enjoyed myself were in disposable T1 Frigate wolfpacks hunting battleships in lowsec. Honorable mention to stealth bomber packs albeit they do require bit more SP and ISK.

29 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Not true.. I have had kills on ships that have been worth WAY more than my typical FW fit T1 frigate... I usually run around in a 9mil isk Maulus and I have killed 30-100mil isk ships in that thing.. I have also lost dozens of those ships.   

SP dont matter if you dont know what you are doing.   Again my KB show that fact.  I have quite a few SP, nearly 20mil and I have been WTFPWNed by much newer toons.  

19 minutes ago, Fefu said:

I'm gonna go with Hodo on this. I'm pretty sure I left EvE with over a 150m skill points and a few trillion ISK and yet the most I enjoyed myself were in disposable T1 Frigate wolfpacks hunting battleships in lowsec. Honorable mention to stealth bomber packs albeit they do require bit more SP and ISK.

And I can tell you about the officer fit Arbitrator that made a mockery of two stealth bombers that had been terrorizing our system for days.

Pilot skills come first. If you know what you're doing, neither SP nor Isk will make up for that.  If you do know what you're doing, money is just as good as SP.