Ringo O'Rourke

Why make sailing so punitive?

So this happened to me last night on a tundra square.

Fog: Okay, I can handle that. Just be more attentive, look for SoTD silhouettes, and maybe reel in the sails a bit. It can't get worse can it? Yes it can.

Cyclone: Okay, in addition to fog. At least I can see the spouts in the fog and can maneuver between them. Oh, they're much closer together than I've ever seen them, with 2-3 almost spawning on top of each other. Okay, I can take a little damage and repair once the rain stops. It can't get worse, can it? Yes it can.

SoTD: Let me get this straight. You give me fog, tightly packed cyclones and now at least 3-4 SoTD in proximity? Fog + Cyclones packed together make it almost impossible to see the SoTD soon enough to avoid them. And now with the new SoTD behaviour they aggro on you sooner, and never let it up. Did I mention I was in a sloop?

There was absolutely no way to prepare for this situation to mitigate it, or once I was in it to escape it by skilled execution. It was just an impossible, screw-you moment. But surely Grapeshot wouldn't add anything remotely approximating impossible screw-you design to the game would they? Why, yes they would....FoY. Have a crippling debuff unless you want to lag wizard cheese endgame dungeons with the zerg while you can.

Without decent, non-punitive sailing, ATLAS is just an inferior ARK with worse tames on cramped islands. But yet, sailing is set up with moments of guaranteed failure you cannot prepare for. As the FoY example illustrates, this is not a bug, but a feature of ATLAS.

Therefore I ask you, with sailing designed to be a frustrating crapshoot by Grapeshot, why not just continue playing ARK which is superior in all other aspects?

Edited by Ringo O'Rourke
  • Like 1

Try having a lvl 165 Drake hovering just above the surface behind you (not aggroed) and a SotD squad pop up in front of you with one ship so close you can't avoid ramming it in the bow with your sloop... SotD fires, misses you and hits the innocent Drake.  Guess what happened to the monkey in the middle? 😄:skull:

Fog + cyclones - are not big deal compare to cyclones + coldwave in tundra. It's like - you need to sail your ship, SoDs are arround and in a mean time you can just die of cold behind the steering wheel and if you go solo - your ship will lower sail and stop then : ))

IMAO - there MUST NOT be raining and tornado in tundra/arctic areas. Imagine -27'C and... RAIN? What kind of rain It is? I setteled in tundra and since then I really wish to see peaceful fluffy snowfalls there. I mean there might be a dangers in northern/southern seas. Like random icebergs for example. But tornadoes are in the middle.

p.s. - I see tornadoes in our tundra like 1-2 times a day. But when I went to nearest high desert zone - I spent there whole a week (in-game week), farming resources. And never see a tiny one rain at all.

I’m starting to be done with SoTD. Sure 1 volley and they’re gone but to constantly change your route to get in line.. they’re too many at this point to be funny. We used to farm them but now that we have enough.. oh boy. 

• Like 2

It's a shame because sailing is by far my favorite part of the game. They nailed the ocean waves/shaders, the sounds, the FEELING of sailing, much like Elite Dangerous nailed the feeling of flying a spaceship. It's a shame that it's so dangerous. I currently have a huge crew manning 24 cannons on my brig, but I can't sustain the amount they cost. Sooner or later I will run out of money. 

• Like 1

And still no acknowledgment from the devs that they're even aware this is an issue, let alone doing anything to fix it. And this is just one of the many things they broke with the last round of patching. They might as well change the name from "Atlas" to "Grow Old and Die on the Same Island" at this rate. 

• Like 1

I've only had 2 SOTDs get close enough to attack me but I was able to get away.  I've been in a ton of storms and took some damage that was easy to repair.  I've only seen one whale.  Personally, its been ok for me. 

However, I do have to constantly avoid SOTDs.  And some time they are in groups of 6 or more.  I've had to leave zones before to get away from them all.  It is kind of out aof hand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheCoolGuy said:

thats why i always try to sail near a border to switch the zone if a stupid storm happens.

Exactly what i am doing since very first days of the game. Safest way to travel. If i am empty ill just blast trough whatever game throws at me. If i am loaded and  coming home full of mats thats when i approach border hugging tactic. I want my ship and cargo to get home safely.

They either need to make cyclones more dangerous but less frequent and not clustered af.

3 hours ago, Ringo O'Rourke said:

Without decent, non-punitive sailing, ATLAS is just an inferior ARK with worse tames on cramped islands. But yet, sailing is set up with moments of guaranteed failure you cannot prepare for. As the FoY example illustrates, this is not a bug, but a feature of ATLAS.

Therefore I ask you, with sailing designed to be a frustrating crapshoot by Grapeshot, why not just continue playing ARK which is superior in all other aspects?

Agreed. Why isn't Atlas an improvement? Did they not think through any of the gameplay mechanics?

*has bad luck*

*cries about it on the forums*

*goes back to playing the game he hates*

Nothing to see here, nothing broken.

3 minutes ago, Heilos said:

*has bad luck*

*cries about it on the forums*

*goes back to playing the game he hates* 

Nothing to see here, nothing broken.

^

Jeez pretend its a pirate game and dont take anything to the ocean you cant afford to lose.

And for the love of god learn some places are harder than others and no one is asking for easy mode except you (and about 12 others).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ringo O'Rourke said:

Cyclone: Oh, they're much closer together than I've ever seen them, with 2-3 almost spawning on top of each other.

You mean that is not normal?

Edited by Uueerdo