MaulerTGD

Game Concept Is Wrong

as the title says, game concept is wrong. pirates were never for world domination. yet you bill this as a pirate game when its more of a nation builder. if you want it to be a pirate game then instead of so many lawless and freeports there should be colonies of other nations, instead of ships of the damned their should be nations warships and trading galleys for us "pirates" to attack, forts for us "pirates" to assault. but as it stands, this isnt a pirate game in anything but looks.

• Like 2

On top of that the top 10 companies are rated purly by how many land claim flag's they can spam out, even if its one settled in the middle of the ocean. All the top 10's listed just have a island or two under control than a mass of flag's scatterd across the map randomly. There needs to be some sort of limiting factor to how much land you can have. 

right how the game is mostly about how much land you can own 

Pirates are notoriously greedy.  and Im positive that if they werent too few to challenge any legitimate government in open conflict they would have claimed and dominated as much land as they possibly could.  So I think this fits pirates pretty well. 

Edited by Traven Guthrie

What I d agree with, is the ships of the damned. Should be more of a fabled thing that makes you soil yourself when you see it around. Not a scourge that one only has to sail 5 minutes and see 4 or 5 of.

Having npc ships that can be attacked and boarded or sunk would be very welcome tho.

• Like 4

People amusing me, they block resources and chat "we are on pirate game " no shit dude, we are on a game, true pirate game is A sea of Thieves, 

I believe the actual game concept is an ark/EVE hybrid. But because that is hard to market did they label it as a pirate game.

22 hours ago, MaulerTGD said:

as the title says, game concept is wrong. pirates were never for world domination. yet you bill this as a pirate game when its more of a nation builder. if you want it to be a pirate game then instead of so many lawless and freeports there should be colonies of other nations, instead of ships of the damned their should be nations warships and trading galleys for us "pirates" to attack, forts for us "pirates" to assault. but as it stands, this isnt a pirate game in anything but looks.

The game may not be something you like, but you can't say the game concept is wrong.  The developers decide the concept, not the user.  They wanted a pirate sandbox game, that's exactly what they built.  It just may not be your cup of tea.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 3:17 PM, KeyenDF said:

The game may not be something you like, but you can't say the game concept is wrong.  The developers decide the concept, not the user.  They wanted a pirate sandbox game, that's exactly what they built.  It just may not be your cup of tea.

i love this game, but i think making it a world domination game is where its flawed. its whats caused this land grab problem.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2019 at 9:55 AM, Tindalen said:

Wait, pirates did not build their own nations?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brethren_of_the_Coast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ching_Shih

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pirates

Strange... someone should tell history it is wrong.  😜

did you read these wiki articles you posted at all? none of them formed empires or nation states, simply loose confederations of pirates.. they didnt control large tracts of land they commanded allied pirate ships in small fleets. what this game is pointing itself towards (and what apparently is happening on the NA PVP server is that you have 4 or 5 large nation states battling each other and the small companies either join or get obliterated.  That being said, i personally love this game, but i dont believe it should be marketed as a pirate game. based on their description that this is a pirate game, thats a fallacy.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MaulerTGD said:

did you read these wiki articles you posted at all? none of them formed empires or nation states, simply loose confederations of pirates.. they didnt control large tracts of land they commanded allied pirate ships in small fleets. what this game is pointing itself towards (and what apparently is happening on the NA PVP server is that you have 4 or 5 large nation states battling each other and the small companies either join or get obliterated.  That being said, i personally love this game, but i dont believe it should be marketed as a pirate game. based on their description that this is a pirate game, thats a fallacy.

Thank you for pointing that out.  It drives me nuts when I see people say pirates tried to form nations... when NONE of them in history ever did that.  They were actually VERY much against that very thing.  Most pirates rarely lived much past a year after their first pirate act.  

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 8:17 PM, KeyenDF said:

Exactly this. It is a pirate game, you build pirate ships and go and shoot, loot and plunder. 

No where does it say this game is historically accurate, or even that it is following history. The game is what the developers want it to be.

1 hour ago, MaulerTGD said:

i love this game, but i think making it a world domination game is where its flawed. its whats caused this land grab problem.

Especially on pve.  Land domination makes no sense there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

Especially on pve.  Land domination makes no sense there.

The more I think about it, the more the claim systems just seems pointless in pve. Sure, it's nice to be able to claim land, own it, and tax it. But there is really no gameplay involved with it after that. Now, add some gameplay mechanics to keeping and taxing land claims and you've got something that would be fun. People mention ark a lot, but what about the random invasions from conan exiles? Taxes are going to piss people off and they revolt. Npc pirates might try to pillage your land. Some kind of authority might decide they are going to wipe you off the face of the earth for being lowly pirate scum or because they are greedy bastards and just want your land and will try to take it. We've got some magical shit going on, throw some of the damned at people to defend against. The claim/tax system just doesn't work when their is no real gameplay to go with it in pve other than walking about getting free resources. Especially when it didn't take much effort to gain control of said land.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:08 PM, Traven Guthrie said:

Pirates are notoriously greedy.  and Im positive that if they werent too few to challenge any legitimate government in open conflict they would have claimed and dominated as much land as they possibly could.  So I think this fits pirates pretty well. 

Pirates had few if any laws keeping them from doing whatever they wanted, and without laws and consequences for your actions you cannot have a successful community of more than a few people.  There's no way enough pirates could ever have worked together to maintain anything for any amount of time.  The whole basis of piracy is taking things others have instead of making/earning it yourself.  The exact opposite of the kind of mechanic this game is built on.  This is a sim of European Colonialism in pirate clothes.  Would make more sense if they had us running around in red or blue coats and those ridiculous powdered wigs, with NPC slaves instead of NPC crew, plantations instead of farm plots, mines instead of metal/stone nodes.  

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, KeyenDF said:

True enough, they could have had player groups grabbing land claims on a mostly land-based map, raiding BPC villages to take natives captive to work at crafting/gathering tasks, while fighting against other player groups to expand and hold territory they'd stolen to being with, and called it a nation building sandbox game.  Might have had trouble marketing that too, but they can do anything with their own game.   

22 hours ago, HonestJohn said:

True enough, they could have had player groups grabbing land claims on a mostly land-based map, raiding BPC villages to take natives captive to work at crafting/gathering tasks, while fighting against other player groups to expand and hold territory they'd stolen to being with, and called it a nation building sandbox game.  Might have had trouble marketing that too, but they can do anything with their own game.   

I could be fine with having npcs work at crafting stations for a small bonus to crafting speed but I wouldn't want to see recipes locked behind having a named and race specific npc. I'd rather they just craft faster or use less resources to craft items.