Sign in to follow this  
=MGC=Ranger

Gators and Wolves everywhere! Advice?

I have traveled to roughly 20 different islands to the same result. Over saturated gators and wolves everywhere. The gators attack you in the water and are faster than the boats so they just keep killing us when we spawn on the sloop. Over and over. I died over 30 times last night because of it. Once you hit land, the Wolves are so OP that you are dead instantly. They outrun you too so you cannot run or hide.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with them? We found a claim spot, but in 3 days I can barely touch land or stay alive long enough on the boat to do anything. There are at minimum 15 gators within attacking distance. Even if we kill some, more spawn in. Never ending cycle of death lol. I am hoping the patch that helps the bow from breaking after a couple hours helps, but man it seems as if the game is soley based on gators, wolves and giant snakes. 

If anyone has any tips to help me out, I would really appreciate your input!

I built a cage around my house with a half wall on the first layer then railing on top of that so I could aggro safely and kill them all.

Thanks! I will try that if I can even build my base lol. As I said, 3 days in and I was able to make 2 wood foundations, a bed and a storage box. I had a gator babysitting my sloop for over an hour and every time I spawned, he would attack my sloop and kill me. eventually I walked away for 2 hours and was able to move my boat away from them, but I know im in for the same mess tonite! 

Use stone if you can. They will eventually eat through the wood house if you don't constantly repair.

Logging out for 5-10 minutes does get them to move on and have had to do that a few times to finish building my cage.

If you have the resources for it, you can place a swivel cannon on your structures/boat and have an NPC man it.  Doing this function like an auto turret and makes quick work of animals.

In the north we have lions and wolves. Contending with the cold and constant rain players have to put the majority of points in fortitude. Taking away potential HP, Stam and Weight benefits. By day two of this game we called Atlas "Wolf Slayer Simulator," as we spent 9 straight hours killing them. Personally it makes little sense really, they spawn faster than rabbits. Rabbits are well known for their breeding habits. Yet it's 10-15 wolves per 1 rabbit.

I've been to the tropical area, giant snakes and crocs also breed like rabbits. As well have a bite range that reach walls stacked two high. As for eating through wood so easily. Why? Is this the story of the big bad wolf? 10k hp walls and wolves get to chew through it like paper? Thatch I am willing to understand but when was the last time a story about wolves chewing through a log cabin made the headlines? These mobs are out of control and need a lot of adjusting.

Our level 60 bear struggles against 2-3 wolves. Spec'd out bow players struggle against a single wolf at level 1, let alone 2 at 30+ levels.

2 hours ago, Muffinman said:

In the north we have lions and wolves. Contending with the cold and constant rain players have to put the majority of points in fortitude. Taking away potential HP, Stam and Weight benefits. By day two of this game we called Atlas "Wolf Slayer Simulator," as we spent 9 straight hours killing them. Personally it makes little sense really, they spawn faster than rabbits. Rabbits are well known for their breeding habits. Yet it's 10-15 wolves per 1 rabbit.

I've been to the tropical area, giant snakes and crocs also breed like rabbits. As well have a bite range that reach walls stacked two high. As for eating through wood so easily. Why? Is this the story of the big bad wolf? 10k hp walls and wolves get to chew through it like paper? Thatch I am willing to understand but when was the last time a story about wolves chewing through a log cabin made the headlines? These mobs are out of control and need a lot of adjusting.

Our level 60 bear struggles against 2-3 wolves. Spec'd out bow players struggle against a single wolf at level 1, let alone 2 at 30+ levels. 

What game are you playing? Level 40 bear takes out wolves like nothing. Just kiled a 240 alpha pig, took half its health but I would expect that.

21 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

What game are you playing? Level 40 bear takes out wolves like nothing. Just kiled a 240 alpha pig, took half its health but I would expect that.

Have you not been to the north? I found out yesterday the wolves are apparently stronger in the north... Why? Because Zap Brannigan loves to through men after men to claim success!

Maybe we live on the same island? 

I strongly suggest trying to find an area even on shallow water somewhere in a safe zone over these islands. I'm crossing over to a sector in Lawless just to farm in peace. If you don't, 50% of your time (AT LEAST) will be dealing with creatures. The amount of alphas / spawn rates doesn't make anything better. 

If you're total SOL, then I suggest seeing how close the nearest lawless sector is to you. For us it's a 10 minute drive, that's it. The risk of traveling is fairly low, I never get DC'ed from the game so it's a really safe bet that whatever I build there and bring back to my hellish island I call home - will make it, without the maddening aspects that come with living on my island. 

The reason why I stay is simple. We have a lot of land, there are good resources such as endless metal and crystal spawns plus who knows, maybe they'll make it to where a tame can properly defend itself 80% of the time. As for now, 1 alpha wolf will instant kill any time just in one bite. 

Just remember, there's nothing wrong with farming in a lawless zone while having your main base elsewhere - if anything it's smart. No taxes, significantly less hostile. It's a win-win.

Good luck to you, if you ever get fed up and wanna join a group we're on PVE NA.

put a couple swivel cannons on your sloop and have people just bring aggro to you and clear the beach.  Then get on the beach and build a stone box or platform from which to shoot and be safe.  Go from there.

3 hours ago, Speedblade said:

put a couple swivel cannons on your sloop and have people just bring aggro to you and clear the beach.  Then get on the beach and build a stone box or platform from which to shoot and be safe.  Go from there.

Yeah, I am not that high of a level. Sure, I bet its not bad at all when youre level 50, but 20 sucks lol. 

They are making the game more balanced though, Gators were slowed down a bit which helps. Wolves and snakes are next hopefully!

35 minutes ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

Yeah, I am not that high of a level. Sure, I bet its not bad at all when youre level 50, but 20 sucks lol. 

They are making the game more balanced though, Gators were slowed down a bit which helps. Wolves and snakes are next hopefully!

I put swivel cannons at the edge of my cage for wildlife abatement with Greek fire.

Like one response said, build a fence.  My first claim was gator infested.  I soon discovered that since they were too large to fit in doors that they were too large to fit through the fence structures as well.  I died lots of times doing it but I eventually got a fence all the way around the house.  That gave me some moments of sanity where I could actually walk around outside without getting attacked.

One other trick I used once the fence was built was to lure an alpha elephant toward the house, break down enough fence so it could get in and then rebuild it.  It was wonderful. For two days, before it despawned in a crash, all I heard was dying crocs and one pissed off pachyderm.

Hint: Wolves can't fit through doorways either.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

1 hour ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Like one response said, build a fence.  My first claim was gator infested.  I soon discovered that since they were too large to fit in doors that they were too large to fit through the fence structures as well.  I died lots of times doing it but I eventually got a fence all the way around the house.  That gave me some moments of sanity where I could actually walk around outside without getting attacked.

One other trick I used once the fence was built was to lure an alpha elephant toward the house, break down enough fence so it could get in and then rebuild it.  It was wonderful. For two days, before it despawned in a crash, all I heard was dying crocs and one pissed off pachyderm.

If you do the first layer of the fence in half walls they can't get you.

The way I claimed my area from hostile hordes of crocs and snakes was basically just a lot of persistence, kiting, and killing them, and eventually, after I killed some ridiculous amount, I would get a lull of peace for a while as long as I didn't venture too far in any given direction. I don't know if it's the same for your island. If you really want to be there though, be persistent and have a lot of ammo. 

2 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Interesting tip, that fence thing. I haven't tried it before but that could be helpful for containment and cordoning sections of the island off. As long as it doesn't suppress resource respawns that could be quite useful.

I've been wanting to tame the elephant that spawns on our island but it always dies horribly because it's outnumbered 5+ to 1 by the constant horde of predators. If I could section off its spawn area, I could possibly tame it for once. Then the trick would be keeping it alive. 

Normal wolves can be taken out with a couple arrow head shots, in most cases I can kill them before they reach me or take a few hits. Alphas I just lure into a pen and light them up with flame arrows.

an outer wall made up of doorways, with a second storey works perfectly for me...   gators, wolves, pigs...  actually everything apart from birds and rattlesnakes appear unable to get past a doorframe..  easy to shoot through to.

3 hours ago, Vorxius said:

an outer wall made up of doorways, with a second storey works perfectly for me...   gators, wolves, pigs...  actually everything apart from birds and rattlesnakes appear unable to get past a doorframe..  easy to shoot through to.

They can still hit you through open doorways if you get too close. With the half-wall method they can't hit you very often.