Sign in to follow this  
Will Parrot

Minimum windforce change is bad

What does everyone think about that part of the current update ?

Sailing against the wind now provides 30% of with-the-wind sailforce, as opposed to 0%.

To me this is really game breaking ! Sailing is one the best parts of this game, knowing how to sail and using sailing mechanics properly is very important in ship battles and can be the main reason of the outcome of a fight. Agreed maybe there should be some in game hint about how to properly setup the sails but please revert this change. It was already silly enough on rafts to go forward when sail is turned back 180° in wind direction. Keep sailing knowledge as important as it should be, this update is making everything way to easy !

However let me stress that overall there has been a lot of steps in the right direction on other subjects.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I agree with this 10000%.

One of my absolute favorite aspects of this game was the sailing mechanics and the fact that if you had no wind or if you were trying to go against the wind you would just make 0 progress. It really encouraged people to explore and adapt with wind conditions. Some of my absolute best adventures in this game so far was because the wind was going the opposite direction I needed and so I was forced to explore the unknown while I waited for the winds to shift. This also affects naval battles on the PvP server in a very positive way, requiring actual attention to wind speed and direction during your encounter. This was brilliant!!

I understand that in the gaming world today everyone is all about instant gratification but the game is already easy enough, please do not keep the wind changes. I have been very very happy with the constant updates and improvements but this one feature change is a HUGE step back. If you sail directly against the wind, you should not move forward. Period!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Computer1633 said:

I agree with this 10000%.

One of my absolute favorite aspects of this game was the sailing mechanics and the fact that if you had no wind or if you were trying to go against the wind you would just make 0 progress. It really encouraged people to explore and adapt with wind conditions. Some of my absolute best adventures in this game so far was because the wind was going the opposite direction I needed and so I was forced to explore the unknown while I waited for the winds to shift. This also affects naval battles on the PvP server in a very positive way, requiring actual attention to wind speed and direction during your encounter. This was brilliant!!

I understand that in the gaming world today everyone is all about instant gratification but the game is already easy enough, please do not keep the wind changes. I have been very very happy with the constant updates and improvements but this one feature change is a HUGE step back. If you sail directly against the wind, you should not move forward. Period!

What this good for is maneuvering through 50 ships on lawless regions parked in the bay 

Ok but this is an 

2 minutes ago, Malfunktion said:

What this good for is maneuvering through 50 ships on lawless regions parked in the bay 

Yes but the overly low decay rates on lawless servers is really another topic. This is strictly about the wind changes. If the lawless servers had a proper decay rate (which I assume at some point they will) and the waters were not littered with ships and crap, this would no longer be an issue. 🙂 

Wind changes are good for people in the long haul because getting chased will help you out run ships if you know how to sail correctly still. 

Have you tried sailing since the change? You move at an absolute crawl against the wind, it's barely faster than holding S with your sails retracted. This isn't good for much besides parking

Eh. I think you're overblowing it. This will just allow players to afk sail against the wind, it won't affect PvP since proper sailing will still be much, much faster. It's not like they made the wind irrelevant.

Should be 10%-15% tops. 30% is too much.

It also seems to break turning around on raft. Before the change, if you had 0% wind you could turn your raft in place if you were stuck. Now people gets stuck with rafts in docks etc. and cannot turn to sail away because they are being pushed forward even if they have no wind.

Edited by moriak

Yes my heart sank when I read this change.  I was learning how to sail for the first time, and enjoyed the challenges associated with working with/against the wind conditions.  I can't believe they did this...

There was already a thread about this.

I think this was definitely a change they had to make. Consider a few points:

* Nobody ever goes sailing in real life on a sailboat that only has sails as a means of moving the boat, nobody. They either have a motor or oars if the wind is not favorable. You would be a fool to do this, why should the game make us do it?

* The ships of the damned can go against the wind, they either need to nerf them or give us that ability (so it looks like they don't want to nerf them).

* A raft can and does get stuck against shore and can't be moved because the wind is blowing straight in. You would need to wait hours or days to free it in some locations.

* This is going to give us a fighting chance against the ships of the damned if you have no guns and are trying to evade them.

* This will open up pure speed builds. You can now have all speed sails if you want that.

1 hour ago, Will Parrot said:

What does everyone think about that part of the current update ?

To me this is really game breaking ! Sailing is one the best parts of this game, knowing how to sail and using sailing mechanics properly is very important in ship battles and can be the main reason of the outcome of a fight. Agreed maybe there should be some in game hint about how to properly setup the sails but please revert this change. It was already silly enough on rafts to go forward when sail is turned back 180° in wind direction. Keep sailing knowledge as important as it should be, this update is making everything way to easy !

However let me stress that overall there has been a lot of steps in the right direction on other subjects.

Disagree 100%. No one wants to sit there with a "Sailing for Dummy's" book out in a game that's supposed to be fun. There's not one damn thing "GAME BREAKING" about such an elementary mechanic to help a damn raft float against wind. Maybe we should have permadeath upon being killed too, since after all, IN REAL LIFE you can't come back. 

I think they need to reduce it, not eliminate it. 30% is a big jump from 0% 

There is perma death coming to the game, your char will age and die(delete) as well, as they get older, their age will effect them, So you will need to find a fountain of youth or complete requirements of producing an Heir 😛 before they do so. (once  implemented)

Edited by Liatni

4 minutes ago, wildbill said:

* Nobody ever goes sailing in real life on a sailboat that only has sails as a means of moving the boat, nobody. They either have a motor or oars if the wind is not favorable. You would be a fool to do this, why should the game make us do it?

This is irrelevant because the game is set in a time where wind was indeed the only means of moving your ship short of breaking out the oars. Same reason they use flintlock rifles and cannons instead of machine guns and rocket launchers.

9 minutes ago, wildbill said:

* The ships of the damned can go against the wind, they either need to nerf them or give us that ability (so it looks like they don't want to nerf them).

I agree that ships of the damned need to be nerfed when traveling against the wind however I think it should be on that side and not on the player ship side.

10 minutes ago, wildbill said:

* A raft can and does get stuck against shore and can't be moved because the wind is blowing straight in. You would need to wait hours or days to free it in some locations.

This was actually not a problem before the current wind changes as before you could just angle your sail one way or the other against the wind and it would turn you in place. Now no matter what direction your sail is facing, your always getting forward movement and can no longer escape these situations.

12 minutes ago, wildbill said:

* This is going to give us a fighting chance against the ships of the damned if you have no guns and are trying to evade them.

This was never an issue. If you got too close to the ship of the damned you could still turn directly with the wind, open full sails and outrun them. I have done this several times after crossing a server line and having my sloop spawn directly next to one of their ships. This may take you a different direction from where you want to go but that is part of the adventures of seafaring.

3 minutes ago, Computer1633 said:

This was never an issue. If you got too close to the ship of the damned you could still turn directly with the wind, open full sails and outrun them. I have done this several times after crossing a server line and having my sloop spawn directly next to one of their ships. This may take you a different direction from where you want to go but that is part of the adventures of seafaring.

AS well, the Ships of the Damned have a  slow, wide turn radius, so charging straight the opposite direction they are traveling, when you can, makes them drop off, pretty quickly because you are out of range by the time they get turned around.

2 minutes ago, Computer1633 said:

This is irrelevant because the game is set in a time where wind was indeed the only means of moving your ship short of breaking out the oars. Same reason they use flintlock rifles and cannons instead of machine guns and rocket launchers.

I agree that ships of the damned need to be nerfed when traveling against the wind however I think it should be on that side and not on the player ship side.

This was actually not a problem before the current wind changes as before you could just angle your sail one way or the other against the wind and it would turn you in place. Now no matter what direction your sail is facing, your always getting forward movement and can no longer escape these situations.

No, even back then, large ships had a 2nd way of moving them when there was no wind, it was called oars. They could launch the dingys and run a rope to the ship and row and pull the ship slowly. For the smaller boats, they rowed them from inside the boat.

I've never gotten a raft stuck, but plenty of people in my company did in a few spots. I assume it was because the area they went into was U shaped and the wind pushed them into with no way out, but could have been some other reason.

I'm not saying you would outrun a ship of the damned going into the wind, that would be crazy, but this will allow you to more quickly tack without losing headway and still escape them. I've not tried that, but I assume it would have formerly been a suicide move, now it might be possible.

1 minute ago, Liatni said:

AS well, the Ships of the Damned have a  slow, wide turn radius, so charging straight the opposite direction they are traveling, when you can, makes them drop off, pretty quickly because you are out of range by the time they get turned around.

Exactly! 🙂

I have seen people who learn how to sail the ships, sail circles around those ships with lil problem (at least the lower level ones, not seen an alpha battle, personally) and this was with the 0%...