Sign in to follow this  
hands solo

Im not trying to be funny ATLAS DEVs but...

Your game is suffering massively and will only get worse unless you allow auto sails and solo piloting with gun battles. I know you have crew but -

A - you need to be able to both hire and fire crew from the island you live on else you have to travel your ship TO the freeport alone before you've hired them - no crew and you bump into ghosties your ship is doomed before the battle even commences, same with unemploying is you have to do this at freeport on your journey home. Ultimately what is the point in weighing down the programme when auto sails do exactly what the crew do but without the necessity for crew. Crew will weigh down server speed and lag etc. Absolutely pointless - great idea just not feasible unless they can be hired from anywhere and fired from anywhere at any time.  Maybe hire a gang for a specific amount and time no necessity to feed them or house them or pay them. After the time is up they just leave the ship, if you mistime things your left alone on the seas without any crew I think this would be a much better model. Then you can just log off after you have finished your gameplay without any worries about the crew as they will just return to wherever they came from. You need also to be able to hire crew from anywhere even at sea by the click of a button. 

B - I hear people say that its a team game blah blah blah -- it makes not a squat of difference to the team environ as every player WANTS to pilot their own ship and take on the pirates. PERIOD. So a fleet of ships will include many players from the same corp all piloting their own ships. Auto sails also allows the single or solo player casual gamer market to enjoy what is a great base game. Crafting is as is but sailing ships MUST be auto sail if you want this game to survive, or at least hireable and fireable crew from anywhere. (but what be the point of a burdensome set of code where it isn't in the slightest needed. 

Just a few points that I believe need to be considered. Can you imagine a corp with 15 galleons facing off against each other or more - this can only happen with quote sails. Your server will explode with customers to the game if you listen... truly. 

My point is you don't need to see a crew to imagine there is a crew which deems having a crew at all pointless and expensive on data processing. 

May I highlight where there seems to be a very basic misunderstanding of what a pirate actually was... Pirates WERE SOLO individuals stealing from COMPANIES not companies stealing from individuals. This game is most certainly not a pirate game it IS TERRIFIED of becoming one or having pirates (solo players). This is of course as one would expect within a dictatorship, all companies by DESIGN are dictatorial. Art emulating life it seems, so many so terrified of ANYONE that is good at something or better than what they might be. People want to be GOOD at something on an individual level …. so difficult in this fucked up world that people seek computer games, alas computer games don't allow it either...!

hs

Edited by hands solo

2 hours ago, hands solo said:

B - I hear people say that its a team game blah blah blah -- it makes not a squat of difference to the team environ as every player WANTS to pilot their own ship and take on the pirates. PERIOD. So a fleet of ships will include many players from the same corp all piloting their own ships. Auto sails also allows the single or solo player casual gamer market to enjoy what is a great base game. Crafting is as is but sailing ships MUST be auto sail if you want this game to survive, or at least hireable and fireable crew from anywhere. (but what be the point of a burdensome set of code where it isn't in the slightest needed. 

May I highlight where there seems to be a very basic misunderstanding of what a pirate actually was... Pirates WERE SOLO individuals stealing from COMPANIES not companies stealing from individuals. This game is most certainly not a pirate game it IS TERRIFIED of becoming one or having pirates (solo players). This is of course as one would expect within a dictatorship, all companies by DESIGN are dictatorial. Art emulating life it seems, so many so terrified of ANYONE that is good at something or better than what they might be. People want to be GOOD at something on an individual level …. so difficult in this fucked up world that people seek computer games, alas computer games don't allow it either...!

While I can understand your point of view, it's also important to recognize that some players WANT a game where they can team up with their friends, sail around, and get up to all kinds of mischief.  And this is aiming to be that game (or at least my impression thus far indicates that).  Would I play if I couldn't rely on others?  Of course, it's a really fun game.  I'd probably still really enjoy it even solo.  In fact, my first few dozen hours were largely solo.  But the game was elevated to an entirely new level when I started grouping up with others.  The need to work together makes it even more gratifying when you finally achieve your goal.  And while it's frustrating to lose crew (and by lose them, I mean it seems all the time, always!  LOL), your suggestion negates them entirely.  Some players may want that, but others don't (myself included).

And you're very wrong about pirates being solo individuals.  They wouldn't have been able to sail their ships without their crew.  Google Blackbeard and read about him.  It often talks about Blackbeard and his crew.  Blackbeard wouldn't have been nearly as feared if he paddled around in his rowboat because he couldn't man the sails on a big ship, nor would he have been nearly as successful if he stormed a ship by himself.  

And you're also incorrect about why people play games.  At least some of them.  Many players have successful lives and careers and come to just hang out with their friends and get up to no-good and thoroughly enjoy the teamwork aspect.  My favorite memories thus far in game have all included one or more of my mates.  But there are plenty of single player games that cater to single-player play styles (admittedly, none of the good ones are pirate-themed).

And most people can agree and relate... meeting new people can be awkward, or even downright terrible (if you meet the wrong people).  But, some people also enjoy that as well.  Different strokes for different folks, and this game seems to cater to the more team-focused group of players and less to the solo players.  And some people WANT that.

• Like 2

Sounds to me like you have a severe lack of friends.

Edited by Brick
  • Like 1

Sounds like this is not really the game for you.. What really got myself and my clan into this was the fact that we could all be part of the crew of the ship like we had in another game we played called Darkfall.. Working as a team to make the ship work as well as possible.. now if a single person could man and run a big ship it would spoil what the game is.

A pirate was not a single person stealing from companies..  It was a boat filled with a pirate crew each of them individuals. 

If you want a pirate game that has ships controlled by a single person check out Naval Action its also a very good game.

only part of your thread i agree with is the hiring of crew to supplement company on the bigger ship s, yes we need a way to hire from anywhere , 

maybe u click choose crew, then  they turn up on a boat at your location say 30 mins  later to make it more immersive 

Edited by UDO

30 minutes ago, Caldrin said:

Sounds like this is not really the game for you.. What really got myself and my clan into this was the fact that we could all be part of the crew of the ship like we had in another game we played called Darkfall.. Working as a team to make the ship work as well as possible.. now if a single person could man and run a big ship it would spoil what the game is.

A pirate was not a single person stealing from companies..  It was a boat filled with a pirate crew each of them individuals. 

If you want a pirate game that has ships controlled by a single person check out Naval Action its also a very good game.

Darkfall! I played the shit out of that with a fairly large group and it was a lot of fun, especially once you got a big ass base established and stuff.  Wish it had gained more popularity.  

I too like the mechanics of this being a team oriented game.  You do actually have to work together and stuff.  I have just as much fun running around our brigs repairing and bucketing as I do sailing it and none of the boats our company has are any one persons.  They can all be taken by whomever, whenever, to do stuff.  Company before individual.

I'm getting so tired of hearing all the solo players complain that they picked a game designed for large tribes, politics, raiding, etc that didn't set their expectations of what it really is and will be for them and then asking for changes to be made.  Especially so when the mechanics ARE actually in the game for them to do this stuff, like sailing a big ship solo. NPC crew were put in for that specific reason.  

11 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Darkfall! I played the shit out of that with a fairly large group and it was a lot of fun, especially once you got a big ass base established and stuff.  Wish it had gained more popularity.  

I too like the mechanics of this being a team oriented game.  You do actually have to work together and stuff.  I have just as much fun running around our brigs repairing and bucketing as I do sailing it and none of the boats our company has are any one persons.  They can all be taken by whomever, whenever, to do stuff.  Company before individual.

I'm getting so tired of hearing all the solo players complain that they picked a game designed for large tribes, politics, raiding, etc that didn't set their expectations of what it really is and will be for them and then asking for changes to be made.  Especially so when the mechanics ARE actually in the game for them to do this stuff, like sailing a big ship solo. NPC crew were put in for that specific reason.  

You didn't read my post in regards to NPC's all well and good BUT - you cannot hire them anywhere, that means if your on the way to hire them or even fire them one of the journeys will involve NO crew aboard your ship either going home or going to pick up crew. If you could hire and fire crew anywhere then this would be resolved and I would be a happy man. The cost of feeding them and housing them is just not feasible for a single player, why cut out the market ?

Are you telling me that you don't want to see massive fleet battles with 100 ships either side ? Are you telling me that people in your corps don't want to fight in their own ships ?

Its fifty crew aboard a galleon - oh yes you might be Mr Big in your corp as the captain of the biggest ship that everyone else worked to build at your command - what just for you ? Honestly the egos and outright dictatorial opiniated mindsets is insane. If you don't believe me then have a POLL to see what the MAJORITY want not just what you want. Its also a business and to cut off a very major income stream is ridiculous as a business model and just to appease wanna be dictators. I played EVE near on 12 years and from the outset ive seen your types before a MILLION TIMES, ive blown up your ships, your friends ships, even your kids ships, they have wept - they have blustered and they have begged for mercy, scuttling back to their 'corps' in tears, all across eve solo, and if not me other solo's have. We've heard your bull about how good you are blah blah one on one your nada, just hiding behind the talent of other people. 

Implement in some way my idea and you'll be the first whining as the REAL pirates - ALWAYS individuals, wipe the floor with you and ship mates, picking you off when your on your own. 

I can hear it now - hey kid yeh your job in 'my' corp is to feed my pets all day whilst I go off fighting pirates and taking all the cred as the frontman. 

Bumping into ghosties without any crew manning the guns and sails, is suicide and bye bye goes one MONTH of crafting a galleon (that's my take on how long it would take a solo p-layer to make a galleon about). WE play SOLO and there are an awful lot of us, small couple crews also need to hire crew to man guns and there are also an awful lot of them. A schooner takes 12 crew and you just to play, that's 12 gold at least an hour. We solo's have to amass at least 200 gold to man a ship for 10 hours of ratting. Not that difficult if you are retrieving loot boxes and I am not complaining about it. Its just Too risky to travel to freeport through lawless without a crew in a bigger boat. 

HERE IS WHAT I PROFFERED AS A SOLUTION - The ultimate solution for ALL sides - groups as well as solo players is MERELY to allow crew to be hired and fired from anywhere - its that simple. Add to that the non necessity to feed them (we are paying them after all) you have it cracked and EVERYONE is happy, as a business model don't put a ceiling (restrictions) on your business as you restrict growth...! No one truly wants to have to prepare for 6 hours just to one and on one AND YOU WILL ONE ON ONE AND YOU WILL ENJOY IT, those days when you log on and there is none to order around yeh, with this system even YOU can enjoy the game on your own. 

Its the solo players THAT GIVE YOU the reason to make a corp in the first place idiot. We aint the problem we are the legends...!

Honestly its like talking to wooden planks with many of you, you have no brains at all. OPEN the game up and let people PLAY...! As it is now what is there to do in PVE. There is no trade so its pointless gathering resources. Schooners need at least 12 people to be able to take on ghosties at all. The only thing available is the survival aspect of the game and most on land have that conquered around lvl 25 in the warmer zones. A few of us on our island this morning killed a 'GOD' ship trapped against the land with hatchets. 

Here is a little test for you people if you think solo is easy - go into Atlas and get me 50 gold in one hour solo without trading (not that trading YET exists, no doubt it will). IN a ship you BUILT YOURSELF FROM THE GROUND UP...!

J

Edited by hands solo

16 hours ago, hands solo said:

every player WANTS to pilot their own ship and take on the pirates. PERIOD. So a fleet of ships will include many players from the same corp all piloting their own ships.

Don't judge everyone based only on yourself. You are very wrong on that assumption.

Solo players do team up on occasions and also form our own organisations for just in case scenarios. Its just that we pilot our ships and play our own game as and when we want to without all the orgainse organise organise crapology of corp play. We play hard and usually are the best losers in the game … we bounce back up build another ship and get back at it. WE don't weep we don't bitch we don't moan we just want to play, and there are many of us...! This game is good - real good BUT it just needs that little bit of tweaking and EVERYONE can be happy and play.

J

20 minutes ago, Sharana said:

Don't judge everyone based only on yourself. You are very wrong on that assumption.

Oh no im not .. I know they do... even it be only once, they WILL on occasion want to. Guaranteed. How else are you going to do missions if they add them ?

Edited by hands solo

You don't think aboard every ship on EVERY crew Everytime someone is chosen to lead a ship, there aren't at least one crew member wishing they were in charge, believeing they could do a better job ? I say let them prove it - let them play - you say they should pay up and just shut up. YOU have it all wrong, we solos are not the enemy here, we are the angels and demons...the liberators...the FREE and the brave and we want Atlas to be our home, for we are ALL gods creatures. We are also the snipers, the mercenaries and the bounty hunters. We are the stop in the desert, the corp target practise, the explorers of new realms and more much much more. 

Edited by hands solo

Typical EVE elitist solo player 😛

I understand the desire to be a solo player (I was a null sec solo miner in EVE for a few years before joining a corp for a few more), but for my roughly 20 person group, we have been longing for a game that requires teamwork to perform at a competitive level.

One of my brothers is our ship captain, but not our Company leader. One is the ship lieutenant (commanding the NPC sail crews), and I'm the guy sitting in the crow's nest on lookout duty. You know what the company leader does while my brothers and I sail our ship? He runs around and shoots our other crew members in the head for the lols, or they all jump on the accordions and attempt to play coherent music.

Also, our roles on the ship are not fixed, it is just how we naturally sorted ourselves out. Others are free to pilot the ship whenever they want (or perform any other task), but 99% of the time, everybody just naturally goes to their "normal" position and carries on as usual.

Not everybody that runs a company or captains "the big ship" is an aspiring dictator. We pilot the ship, they man the cannons when needed, nobody yells or gets butt hurt over it. We haven't gotten into any real PvP skirmishes yet (not playing on official, so not as many groups around), but we have taken on quite a number of the Damned and its a good time all around.

For those that want to sail on their own, our company has a handful sloops setup so its easy to solo pilot, even without NPC crew, and they are free to use. If they sink we shrug it off and make a new one, all part of the game.

17 hours ago, hands solo said:

Your game is suffering massively and will only get worse unless you allow auto sails and solo piloting with gun battles. I know you have crew but -

A - you need to be able to both hire and fire crew from the island you live on else you have to travel your ship TO the freeport alone before you've hired them - no crew and you bump into ghosties your ship is doomed before the battle even commences, same with unemploying is you have to do this at freeport on your journey home. Ultimately what is the point in weighing down the programme when auto sails do exactly what the crew do but without the necessity for crew. Crew will weigh down server speed and lag etc. Absolutely pointless - great idea just not feasible unless they can be hired from anywhere and fired from anywhere at any time.  Maybe hire a gang for a specific amount and time no necessity to feed them or house them or pay them. After the time is up they just leave the ship, if you mistime things your left alone on the seas without any crew I think this would be a much better model. Then you can just log off after you have finished your gameplay without any worries about the crew as they will just return to wherever they came from. You need also to be able to hire crew from anywhere even at sea by the click of a button. 

Just a few points that I believe need to be considered. Can you imagine a corp with 15 galleons facing off against each other or more - this can only happen with quote sails. Your server will explode with customers to the game if you listen... truly. 

My point is you don't need to see a crew to imagine there is a crew which deems having a crew at all pointless and expensive on data processing. 

hs

I hate everything about your post... You need not use these forums anymore.... please don't ever type anything ever again.

15 minutes ago, Bolognapwny said:

I hate everything about your post... You need not use these forums anymore.... please don't ever type anything ever again.

lol

50 minutes ago, Dinenon said:

Typical EVE elitist solo player 😛

I understand the desire to be a solo player (I was a null sec solo miner in EVE for a few years before joining a corp for a few more), but for my roughly 20 person group, we have been longing for a game that requires teamwork to perform at a competitive level.

One of my brothers is our ship captain, but not our Company leader. One is the ship lieutenant (commanding the NPC sail crews), and I'm the guy sitting in the crow's nest on lookout duty. You know what the company leader does while my brothers and I sail our ship? He runs around and shoots our other crew members in the head for the lols, or they all jump on the accordions and attempt to play coherent music.

Also, our roles on the ship are not fixed, it is just how we naturally sorted ourselves out. Others are free to pilot the ship whenever they want (or perform any other task), but 99% of the time, everybody just naturally goes to their "normal" position and carries on as usual.

Not everybody that runs a company or captains "the big ship" is an aspiring dictator. We pilot the ship, they man the cannons when needed, nobody yells or gets butt hurt over it. We haven't gotten into any real PvP skirmishes yet (not playing on official, so not as many groups around), but we have taken on quite a number of the Damned and its a good time all around.

For those that want to sail on their own, our company has a handful sloops setup so its easy to solo pilot, even without NPC crew, and they are free to use. If they sink we shrug it off and make a new one, all part of the game.

There is always room for both isn't there and there are corps that are in between so to speak. I always play solo however always have, I miss out on a lot I know but I experience much others never will. When I look at corp play I sometimes think I have it all wrong. However with all the politics that corps hold, I am assured that I haven't. I know some of them look at us and think they have it all wrong. Its give and take, but to limit a game to merely one form of play is business suicide imo, as there are a lot of players on either side of the fence and it is THIS that makes a good game. Im not saying that Atlas don't know this else they wouldn't have made the crew system which allows solo play. Its just that the crew system is too risky as is for a solo player to be able to us effectively, indeed any small group in a big ship. It takes 50 plus crew to solo a galleon into battle. Brigs are probably the max any solo player could seriously consider piloting so we will always have limitations as solo players we always have. Don't make it so that we cant even fight npc pirates at all. Even it auto sail were available it doesn't mean to say you have to use it now does it ? You see im not forcing my will upon anyone its because you think like that you think that I am. Im offering choice that covers all bases YOU people are saying NO to freedom of choice, that's the problem here. Im trying to make the game more accessible to a greater number of people your saying its accessible enough. I remind you that Atlas is a business is it not - what would you choose as a business owner - restriction of growth or growth...?

PVE with -- PVE without -- PVP servers with PVP servers without - there really is no limit and its ALL relevant, and its all another choice you can make. Oh an auto sail solo killed the Hydra. Oh so a non auto sail group killed the Hydra all permutations all relevant all having a part to play, all making the game a greater experience with something for everyone. Business win...! And youll always your confortable come back -- yeh on auto sail with crewed or one click gunnery.

J

Edited by hands solo

53 minutes ago, hands solo said:

Are you telling me that you don't want to see massive fleet battles with 100 ships either side ? Are you telling me that people in your corps don't want to fight in their own ships ?

Its fifty crew aboard a galleon - oh yes you might be Mr Big in your corp as the captain of the biggest ship that everyone else worked to build at your command - what just for you ? Honestly the egos and outright dictatorial opiniated mindsets is insane. If you don't believe me then have a POLL to see what the MAJORITY want not just what you want.

No I don't as the game can't and won't handle that. It's not this type of game. Someone already suggested naval action if that's the only thing you care about.

We see that your selfishness levels are sky high, but as I told you - not everyone is that selfish. Some people play for the social aspect and have fun. While I'm in officer position indeed as I played with the group a long time (joined them in another game that was not aimed at solo player that wanna be super heroes) I'm neither captaining ships or even sailing. Not that fun for me, what I personally do in Atlas is keeping the armory stocked up with weapons and armors all the time for people to defend or raid with. Most of my playtime is inside buildings even. But I have fun as that contributes to the group effort. So do the guys that gather mats, tame animals, craft the ships or build the base with it's defenses. They are not there to sail solo and be super hero pirates. They are in for the social aspect those games offer and don't care much what job exactly they do as long as it benefits the group. And that is sizable chunk of the population in such type of games. 

40 minutes ago, hands solo said:

Solo players do team up on occasions and also form our own organisations for just in case scenarios. Its just that we pilot our ships and play our own game as and when we want to without all the orgainse organise organise crapology of corp play. We play hard and usually are the best losers in the game … we bounce back up build another ship and get back at it. WE don't weep we don't bitch we don't moan we just want to play, and there are many of us...! This game is good - real good BUT it just needs that little bit of tweaking and EVERYONE can be happy and play.

Some of us solos are not always solo by choice either.   My gameplay is so flipping interrupted it's like being the guy in the circus spinning plates on top of long poles.  It happens when you're an adult with a life, and especially if you're a female adult with a life, because nobody can ever manage to find their own damn socks or put together a sandwich without assistance, and there's just stuff you have to do every hour or so.  So while some of you get to just sit there and have "game time",  where nobody bothers you for 4 hours and you can organize groups of 50 people to all go raid something, many of us can't do that.

So quit saying, "Join a Company!"  You don't want us in your companies.  We don't have time for your discord, voicechat, stand around 2 hours till the rest show up stuff.  We're not hardcore in that way.  You'll hate us when we go afk in the middle of your raid because we have to jump up and handle an emergency.  Doesn't mean we don't do well in smaller companies with other people like us, and doesn't mean we can't set aside some dedicated time now and again for group stuff.  

And you can also quit telling us this game is not meant for us.   You're not the devs, and the devs haven't said that.  So many people in these forums asserting some kind of authority over the game design when all they've done is paid to play it like the rest of us.    Either quote some dev or some design spec on that or STFU.  It's getting ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, hands solo said:

There is always room for both isn't there.

Exactly.

I think with a few changes to polish up piloting a ship using NPCs the game will be very solo friendly for those that have the drive to do so.

The issue I have with solo piloting a larger ship at the moment is that, when issuing a sail command to the NPCs, the ship returns to neutral rudder, so its not a very smooth experience. Also, NPC aiming issues on cannons. Fix those two issues and I'll probably sail around on my own a bit more often.

17 hours ago, hands solo said:

This is a Conceited way to look at games. most of the things you point out here is why most people like the game. some people like a tough grind and some are more casual. but to say that something is designed wrong or bad because it doesn't meet your play style is ignorant. i agree that the game needed some work to make the game more playable for solo or small companies. and i was very frustrated with not being able to claim land and people totally dominating lawless spawns. (i died countless times to lvl 30+ at low levels and was constantly raided making it very difficult to progress early.) however after i got to a decent level and found somewhere to put a small stone building and expand the game got a lot better.  and i have killed many AoD ships with a schooner that can be built solo in a few days at most. thats where i got all my NPC's and plenty of gold to support them. 

Another thing id like to point out is that if you pay attention to the patch notes it really looks like they are trying to make the game more playable for solo/Small companies without taking away from the large ones. i mean they increased resource farming and taming by 2x, added neutral zones, and nerfed alot of weapons. not to mention getting rid of lawless spawns. this game is in alpha. which means they released it unfinished and its our job as the community to help make it better. and they have done a really good job at listening and reacting. the game has been out for what 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. go back and look at how many patches have come out in that time.  

There is no life - thereby no growth or progression IN history...!

J

21 minutes ago, RENAGAD3 said:

This is a Conceited way to look at games. most of the things you point out here is why most people like the game. some people like a tough grind and some are more casual. but to say that something is designed wrong or bad because it doesn't meet your play style is ignorant. i agree that the game needed some work to make the game more playable for solo or small companies. and i was very frustrated with not being able to claim land and people totally dominating lawless spawns. (i died countless times to lvl 30+ at low levels and was constantly raided making it very difficult to progress early.) however after i got to a decent level and found somewhere to put a small stone building and expand the game got a lot better.  and i have killed many AoD ships with a schooner that can be built solo in a few days at most. thats where i got all my NPC's and plenty of gold to support them. 

Another thing id like to point out is that if you pay attention to the patch notes it really looks like they are trying to make the game more playable for solo/Small companies without taking away from the large ones. i mean they increased resource farming and taming by 2x, added neutral zones, and nerfed alot of weapons. not to mention getting rid of lawless spawns. this game is in alpha. which means they released it unfinished and its our job as the community to help make it better. and they have done a really good job at listening and reacting. the game has been out for what 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. go back and look at how many patches have come out in that time.  

No maybe a cynical view of the world...! Nothing conceited in anything ive said. A tad cynical perhaps.

J

YES, there is room for both... but you have to accept that if you insist on playing solo, you're going to have limits. One of those limits is not being able to pirate an EFFECTIVE warship without other people.

NO< pirates were not "solos" lol. Someone has to steer, 5-6 ppl are on the sails, a cpl cook, one is a medic... and then a dozen or so ppl are on cannons. Yes, your post is about NPC's. We have a couple dozen and haven't bought any. You get them from sinking the SoTD's. So get a few other solos together and sink some.

3 minutes ago, hands solo said:

No maybe a cynical view of the world...! Nothing conceited in anything ive said. A tad cynical perhaps.

no conceited is right. im not referring to your view of the game. im referring to the fact that you want the game molded to fit your play style. the way they have it set up now you have to have real interactions with people and work to progress your company. but the game is still balanced so that solo players can play and have fun. granted its harder, but playable. if you tip the scale in either way it ruins the enjoyment for a whole demographic of people. not to mention that if its easier for small companies and solos to acquire NPC's could you imagine what that would do for large ones?! not saying the game is perfect but it is very difficult to make changes for solos that dont give large companies unfair advantages.  

8 minutes ago, Znick said:

YES, there is room for both... but you have to accept that if you insist on playing solo, you're going to have limits. One of those limits is not being able to pirate an EFFECTIVE warship without other people.

NO< pirates were not "solos" lol. Someone has to steer, 5-6 ppl are on the sails, a cpl cook, one is a medic... and then a dozen or so ppl are on cannons. Yes, your post is about NPC's. We have a couple dozen and haven't bought any. You get them from sinking the SoTD's. So get a few other solos together and sink some.

you could probably even solo a low level if you got good at lining the ship up then manning the cannons. it would be difficult but doable.