Sign in to follow this  
Erian

It's like they don't want base building

Just now, Percieval said:

Well if you think like this you will have a hard time, that’s for sure. But yes, not everyone is evil. 

It has nothing to do with being "evil". You don't let some unknown dudes into your base, period.

1 minute ago, LaiTash said:

It has nothing to do with being "evil". You don't let some unknown dudes into your base, period.

Good luck with the game then, because from what I’ve heard you want, it’s the only option you have. 

Greatest fun for the devs was always single players/small groups to be steamrolled/LOLstomped by big tribes. This concept did not change, they like magic armor dragon riders sniping naked spearmen while mounted on dragons.

When this stopped on ARK primitive servers they brought the unstoppable stone eating Giganotosaurus.

When the chinese megatribes complained, that it takes to long bombing new players stone bases they trippled the grenade damage.

When they noticed that players survived after learning they doubled the mobs damage and trippled the level 250 alpha wolf spawns.

This game is toxic, too toxic.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

First up, its like day 7 of a 2 year early access development period, they are testing systems now.

Second, lawless zones are not meant to be built on for permanent occupation, heck, lawless zones are even meant to exist, they were put in solely to handle the inability of the designated Freehold zones to hold enough players (and you cant build there at all).

It is like Eve in done fly what you cant afford to lose, but yeah, some additional safety would be nice, however even in Eve you are not 100% safe.

Were lawless zones originally meant to be claimed? That was my impression.

On 12/30/2018 at 7:21 AM, Scrad said:

2 hours ago, RyuujinZERO said:

I'm not sure the devs know what they want. Base raiding, land claiming, ship sinking and if you try live on the ocean the Damned will eat you; there is no way to keep anything safe from one day to the next.

They keep comparing their long term vision to EVE, but EVE has high-sec zones and hangars where you can safely secure your ship when you log out, and insurance to underwrite your losses, ATLAS has all the risk but none of the risk-mitigation tools.

Well said. I have made this comment before. Eve online had high SEC zones and hangers and also when you log off your ship disappears. These functionalities desperately need to materialize in this game otherwise it's not going to be good

3 minutes ago, Kumiiyo said:

Well said. I have made this comment before. Eve online had high SEC zones and hangers and also when you log off your ship disappears. These functionalities desperately need to materialize in this game otherwise it's not going to be good

Never played it, this would mean that you can sail to your port and store your ship there, if it would come to this game? 

Edited by Percieval

5 minutes ago, Talono said:

Greatest fun for the devs was always single players/small groups to be steamrolled/LOLstomped by big tribes. This concept did not change, they like magic armor dragon riders sniping naked spearmen while mounted on dragons.

When this stopped on ARK primitive servers they brought the unstoppable stone eating Giganotosaurus.

When the chinese megatribes complained, that it takes to long bombing new players stone bases they trippled the grenade damage.

When they noticed that players survived after learning they doubled the mobs damage and trippled the level 250 alpha wolf spawns.

This game is toxic, too toxic.

For all its flaws I do quite like this game so far. But if this is genuinly true, if this is the aim of the game, then I'll probably stop playing. I play games for my own enjoyment, not for that of the devs or other people.

Also, apart from sadistic people, do high level players really enjoy steamrolling the low level ones?

In Eve Online you could live in kind of freeports without decay. To earn a fortune you had to travel into PVP area, but even if your ship was lost you never had to start from scratch with main base and reserve ships stationed in the „Freeports“.

Also in „Pirated of the Burning Sea“ you had  the concept : Port is safe, ocean is PVP.

Best concept for pirate games.

Wildcard declares every single player/small groups/ people with life-job-family for megatribe fodder.

I yesterday switched to PVE, not because i am a coward, because i wont waste my life farming for a 24/7 kiddie.

I can recommend that, the PVE server is toxic/PVP enough! Really !

• Like 3

Just now, Erian said:

For all its flaws I do quite like this game so far. But if this is genuinly true, if this is the aim of the game, then I'll probably stop playing. I play games for my own enjoyment, not for that of the devs or other people.

Also, apart from sadistic people, do high level players really enjoy steamrolling the low level ones?

For your last question I can give an undoubtedly firm yes. 

High level players love killing low level players. They get a very high enjoyment level out of it. I can’t say all do but I can say that almost all of them do.

you will be able to tell if someone was an ark player, I’ll just say that 😂

4 minutes ago, Talono said:

In Eve Online you could live in kind of freeports without decay. To earn a fortune you had to travel into PVP area, but even if your ship was lost you never had to start from scratch with main base and reserve ships stationed in the „Freeports“.

Also in „Pirated of the Burning Sea“ you had  the concept : Port is safe, ocean is PVP.

Wildcard declares every single player/small groups/ people with life-job-family for megatribe fodder.

I yesterday switched to PVE, not because i am a coward, because i wont waste my life farming for a 24/7 kiddie.

Yeah I saw what they are doing on pve from the other guy. Completely horrible. Worse than pvp really because you can’t even fight back 😂 pve is the new hardcore mode.

but yeah if you want to get ahead in the game you really need a lot of free time. This ain’t a game for a person with a lot of responsibilities 

9 minutes ago, Talono said:

I really like this idea, but they will never change this, since it is core. That’s a shame. 

People have been talking about a kind of ‘factions’ idea, where there would be standard factions you could join and then fight each other. Then this idea could really work out, every faction would have a safe harbor where PvP is not allowed. 

The problem is, this was intended to be a DLC for ARK.

They pulled it out in a  state of greed and just threw it out there as a full game release.

It is sometimes harder to undo and redo a game than it is to just make a new one. The devs are stuck in that situation and it is not easy to get out of.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Percieval said:

I really like this idea, but they will never change this, since it is core. That’s a shame. 

People have been talking about a kind of ‘factions’ idea, where there would be standard factions you could join and then fight each other. Then this idea could really work out, every faction would have a safe harbor where PvP is not allowed. 

Yeah the whole wow idea was awesome with the horde and alliance. Factions is always better for an mmo. 

I don’t really see atlas as an actual mmo other than there being a lot of people 😂

3 minutes ago, Rellom said:

The problem is, this was intended to be a DLC for ARK.

They pulled it out in a  state of greed and just threw it out there as a full game release.

It is sometimes harder to undo and redo a game than it is to just make a new one. The devs are stuck in that situation and it is not easy to get out of.

Oh yeah they are stuck with it now. They would have to piss off every player playing just to get a bigger influx of players. Which I wouldn’t mind, I just know they won’t do it 

3 hours ago, Realist said:

Oh they know what they want. The Megas want it easier to raid you and wildcard made it happen. It’s not that they don’t want base building, it’s that they don’t want you(non Megas) base building.

theu need you out on the seas in your small boats so the Megas can get good streams of the complete destruction of sea battles against a sloop.

they also want the Megas streaming their huge bases though. All of you are literally just cannon fodder for the Megas so they can stream and get new players in that can also be more cannon fodder.

This is seems like a very skewed view of the game and apritations of the devs based on what appears to be ARK gameplay even though this isn't ARK and you have no idea the actuality of the gameplay or social dynamics within the game. Evidence and reason make an argument. Making claims about people's motivations you have no way of knowing, on top of trashing a game you only know conjecture about makes an embarrassment. 

1 hour ago, archaegeo said:

First up, its like day 7 of a 2 year early access development period, they are testing systems now.

Second, lawless zones are not meant to be built on for permanent occupation, heck, lawless zones are even meant to exist, they were put in solely to handle the inability of the designated Freehold zones to hold enough players (and you cant build there at all).

It is like Eve in done fly what you cant afford to lose, but yeah, some additional safety would be nice, however even in Eve you are not 100% safe.

We don't know lawless zones weren't supposed to exist. We just know they weren't supposed to be spawn/starter zones. But I agree with your last point, you dont risk what you're not comfortable losing, and if you lose it to a bug or glitch then sorry but you voluntarily chose to play early access and should be fully aware that it's not a finished game. You payed to playtest an unfinished project. Anyone mad about glitches and balance issues needs to be aware that they did this to themselves, no one made then buy a game that was announced to be unfinished and years away from completion. 

1 hour ago, Scyver said:

It really seems to me like it didn't even occur to the devs that the game would attract solo/causal style players, and now they don't know what to do with them. I think they just hoped they could throw up some PvP servers with the PvP turned off and that would keep PvE players happy.

The game is an MMO, with MMO level goals. On its surface it announces that it will be challenging and have lots of systems that make you work to survive. To read this information and think "I can do this all by myself " is absurd. What other MMO do you know where a solo player can do everything alone. MMO games require teamwork, like real life, and if you cant bear to talk to other people to get something done then there is bigger problems then game bugs.

1 hour ago, Erian said:

I may be totally wrong when thinking this, but I suspect that most players play solo or in small groups. I think even people joining those megas would rather play with their own group but weren't able to and thus joined a mega.

You are wrong on a statistical level. Most players are part of factions, whether they be small groups or mega groups that banded together. A large portion of players in this game started day on with groups of friends and a lot of those who didnt still joined groups because this game screams teamwork from the very beginning. You want to play a realistic game about building boats, pirating, taming, farming, and raiding, and think 'It makes sense that I could do this completely alone with zero help.' Humanity has come so far never being cooperative haven't they?

54 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Yeah it's possible if you're extremely lucky and you get to keep that piece of land until some large corp notices you. 

Extremely lucky? You can go anywhere, with all kinds of people with all kinds of islands. If you cant find one single island where you can become friends with the inhabitants or even be on neutral terms than your diplomacy sucks or you really don't want to make allies.

47 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

The game isnt meant to be a solo game, you want to play it solo, play on a private server.

That said, you CAN play it solo, you just have to be aware of the limitations of doing so

While solo play should be more viable, I agree with this. An MMO, especially a hardcore survival MMO, requires teamwork.  I cant think of any examples of large scale games like this where you never require someones help or a group to clear out certain areas or grind resources.

44 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

It could be perfectly solo-able if there were safe harbours (guilds need those too, not just solo players), marketplaces with buy/sell orders (think eve), and reasons to talk first then shoot and not the other way around. 

This is a decent idea as to how to make the early game more viable. Especially for players that don't have the time some other groups have. Although these do exist in some form as freeports which could easily be used for trade and organization. 

44 minutes ago, Morticielle said:

Yeah it is possible: If you drive for 40, 50 or more hours over the seas. I stopped playing after 30 hours of search for a place to settle down. Very dumb concept.

If you spent 30 hours trying to find an island I just don't know what to say. Extremely choosy, bad at the game, trying to hate it just to hate it, or new levels of extreme bad luck. I dont know what fits the most but I do know that it isn't this hard, thousands of other players have done it, a lot of them have even found multiple islands to post up on. I suppose there always gonna be that bottom percentage in any game but that is not a game flaw. That'd be like saying Overwatch or League of Legends is bad because you cant get out of bronze or silver. 

• Like 1

Atm, no matter what zone or where you spawn or log off, you are NOT safe. Still glitches and ways to destroy ships and players even on PVE. VERY TOXIC environment. And yet you cant get your own server as the requirement for each square is a single server. And that does not come cheap.

20 minutes ago, CommunityIsBraindead said:

This is seems like a very skewed view of the game and apritations of the devs based on what appears to be ARK gameplay even though this isn't ARK and you have no idea the actuality of the gameplay or social dynamics within the game. Evidence and reason make an argument. Making claims about people's motivations you have no way of knowing, on top of trashing a game you only know conjecture about makes an embarrassment. 

We don't know lawless zones weren't supposed to exist. We just know they weren't supposed to be spawn/starter zones. But I agree with your last point, you dont risk what you're not comfortable losing, and if you lose it to a bug or glitch then sorry but you voluntarily chose to play early access and should be fully aware that it's not a finished game. You payed to playtest an unfinished project. Anyone mad about glitches and balance issues needs to be aware that they did this to themselves, no one made then buy a game that was announced to be unfinished and years away from completion. 

The game is an MMO, with MMO level goals. On its surface it announces that it will be challenging and have lots of systems that make you work to survive. To read this information and think "I can do this all by myself " is absurd. What other MMO do you know where a solo player can do everything alone. MMO games require teamwork, like real life, and if you cant bear to talk to other people to get something done then there is bigger problems then game bugs.

You are wrong on a statistical level. Most players are part of factions, whether they be small groups or mega groups that banded together. A large portion of players in this game started day on with groups of friends and a lot of those who didnt still joined groups because this game screams teamwork from the very beginning. You want to play a realistic game about building boats, pirating, taming, farming, and raiding, and think 'It makes sense that I could do this completely alone with zero help.' Humanity has come so far never being cooperative haven't they?

Extremely lucky? You can go anywhere, with all kinds of people with all kinds of islands. If you cant find one single island where you can become friends with the inhabitants or even be on neutral terms than your diplomacy sucks or you really don't want to make allies.

While solo play should be more viable, I agree with this. An MMO, especially a hardcore survival MMO, requires teamwork.  I cant think of any examples of large scale games like this where you never require someones help or a group to clear out certain areas or grind resources.

This is a decent idea as to how to make the early game more viable. Especially for players that don't have the time some other groups have. Although these do exist in some form as freeports which could easily be used for trade and organization. 

If you spent 30 hours trying to find an island I just don't know what to say. Extremely choosy, bad at the game, trying to hate it just to hate it, or new levels of extreme bad luck. I dont know what fits the most but I do know that it isn't this hard, thousands of other players have done it, a lot of them have even found multiple islands to post up on. I suppose there always gonna be that bottom percentage in any game but that is not a game flaw. That'd be like saying Overwatch or League of Legends is bad because you cant get out of bronze or silver. 

Way tldr. Yeah everything is said was true in all forms.

Hope the devs are listening 

On 12/30/2018 at 7:21 AM, Scrad said:

3 hours ago, RyuujinZERO said:

I'm not sure the devs know what they want. Base raiding, land claiming, ship sinking and if you try live on the ocean the Damned will eat you; there is no way to keep anything safe from one day to the next.

They keep comparing their long term vision to EVE, but EVE has high-sec zones and hangars where you can safely secure your ship when you log out, and insurance to underwrite your losses, ATLAS has all the risk but none of the risk-mitigation tools.

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Uh no, I have said it in multiple posts without being asked and I also never deny it.

i am not going to put a footnote at the post of every post sorry.

there is nothing. Dishonest about what I say. I don’t lie and tell people I play the game. I also don’t speak from my own experience since there isn’t any. 

I tell you what. I will agree to put the foot note that I don’t own the game on every post of you agree to put a foot note saying you are a white knight? Do we have a deal?

No because white knight is an arbitrary and frankly inaccurate label that people like you use to dismiss others so they aren’t forced to deal with arguements on their merits. Wheras by contrast the fact you don’t own the game is a verifiable fact and relevant to every gameplay post you make, so in any case failing to disclose it is misrepresentation by omission, making you a hypocrite every time you fail to do so.

But I will make you a deal. I will agree to only discuss or debate anything concerning Atlas with you on the merits of the arguements put forward without resorting to labeling, insults or name calling, since surely we can agree neither changes anything, right? Of course if your views are correct and there is truth in what you say, surely that will shine through on its own, without slinging mud like a child or cheaply trying dismiss others with a label. That seems pretty fair doesn’t it?

1 minute ago, Kumiiyo said:

Hope the devs are listening 

They don’t listen on here. They don’t wven come here. They haven’t even put mods here. They made this as a venting ground for people that are mad about the game so they can let off steam.

they are however seeing the stuff on Twitter since all replies give them notifications. If they read them or not is unknown but you will get a lot more results on Twitter.

just saying 

1 minute ago, Cyclonic said:

There shouldn't even be base building its a pirate MMO... 

Do you think pirates lived on their ships their entire lives? They had ‘hangouts’ and bases. If there were only ships it would get boring even quicker. 

Edited by Percieval

Just now, Cyclonic said:

There shouldn't even be base building its a pirate MMO... 

Strictly speaking it's more of an colonial age of sail MMO. You have territory control, taxation, residency etc. All the tools needed to make an organised colonial governorship, with taxed residents, a standing militia to protect those residents and profit from mutual co-operation.

Or, you know, you can smash down people's doors and steal shit as a pirate or marauder. At any rate the game on paper stands to gain a lot from base building.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

No because white knight is an arbitrary and frankly inaccurate label that people like you use to dismiss others so they aren’t forced to deal with arguements on their merits. Wheras by contrast the fact you don’t own the game is a verifiable fact and relevant to every gameplay post you make, so in any case failing to disclose it is misrepresentation by omission, making you a hypocrite every time you fail to do so.

But I will make you a deal. I will agree to only discuss or debate anything concerning Atlas with you on the merits of the arguements put forward without resorting to labeling, insults or name calling, since surely we can agree neither changes anything, right? Of course if your views are correct and there is truth in what you say, surely that will shine through on its own, without slinging mud like a child or cheaply trying dismiss others with a label. That seems pretty fair doesn’t it?

Of course it is fair. I just usually call a spade a spade. It’s like calling a Mexican a Mexican. No big deal.

ok then actually come at with with a normal argument other than you don’t play the game. I really don’t care if you think that disqualifies me.

i know wildcard and I know their track record which is way more proof than you have. I am going off previous behaviors while you are just running around saying “you don’t k ow that for sure” once again, don’t really care.

you saying I am wrong isn’t an argument. You proving I am wrong with actual facts or data is an argument. 

Mai if you want to act high and mighty try having an argument that doesn’t have anything to do with me not playing or you saying I don’t know it for sure. Guess what? I do know it for sure and until you PROVE otherwise I am always sure and always right.

16 minutes ago, Realist said:

They don’t listen on here. They don’t wven come here. They haven’t even put mods here. They made this as a venting ground for people that are mad about the game so they can let off steam.

they are however seeing the stuff on Twitter since all replies give them notifications. If they read them or not is unknown but you will get a lot more results on Twitter.

just saying 

Oh there are mods here. I've argued with 2 of them for a while about them actually enforcing their own rules for the forums. Their answer's to people bashing other people, which is against the rules, was to take it to private messaging or take it in game. Because you know that fixes the problem right? I even copy/pasted the rules straight from their Rules post to the thread i was in for the mod and told them to please read their FIRST RULE. Yeah. mods on the forums are damn near pointless when it comes to either decent information, resolving trash talking trolls, or anything game related. All they do is tell people to take it private or in game for the most part.

OH ALSO they told me that the raft is either "arguably the fastest or the actual fastest" ship in the game. Who would agree with that? I'm actually very curious.

13 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

7 minutes ago, Realist said:

Of course it is fair. I just usually call a spade a spade. It’s like calling a Mexican a Mexican. No big deal.

ok then actually come at with with a normal argument other than you don’t play the game. I really don’t care if you think that disqualifies me.

i know wildcard and I know their track record which is way more proof than you have. I am going off previous behaviors while you are just running around saying “you don’t k ow that for sure” once again, don’t really care.

you saying I am wrong isn’t an argument. You proving I am wrong with actual facts or data is an argument. 

Mai if you want to act high and mighty try having an argument that doesn’t have anything to do with me not playing or you saying I don’t know it for sure. Guess what? I do know it for sure and until you PROVE otherwise I am always sure and always right.

For instance. I say wildcard sucks and they will never fully optimize this game.

you would say “you don’t know that for sure” (I would still be right because that isn’t an argument and you can’t prove I am wrong)

then I would say well after 3 years they still haven’t fully optimized ark and their last dlc didn’t only start broken but is still broken.

you would then use the early access excuse(still not an argument, and still no proof) 

then I would say, regardless of early access they said themselves they learned from their mistakes yet they still miss deadlines, have bugs in every update, and use shortcuts to give a band aid fix. Along with them not actually do the work they should have been doing.

then you would say “well you don’t play the game so you don’t k ow how it is”(definitely not an argument, and definitely not proof)

then I would say that I don’t need to play the game, all I need to do is see the thousands of people’s experiences and be able to go off of that. It’s not like they are all lying for the hell of it 😂

then you would say well you just wildcard so you are just trolling(far from the truth)

a troll doesn’t have a mission, they just do what they do. A troll could actually like the game but just likes pissing people off.

i am the opposite of a troll.

so yes, when you want to have an actual argument, feel free to start one

• Like 1

Saying I call a spade a spade fails to acknowledge that the label is by its very nature subjective. What you are demonstrating right now is either an ignorance of the difference between subjective and objective, or more likely an unwillingness to acknowledge and accept that difference. Someone’s Mexican heritage can be objectively determined by third parties, the label white knight is entirely an opinion. It is not an independently verifiable fact like whether or not you own the game, something that is either factually true or not.

You are strawmanning here because I have never objected to your commenting on Wildcard as a developer, as your statement implies.  What I’ve objected to is you commenting on GAMEPLAY of a game you don’t own. Again knowing a company and their track record is not objective proof, it is subjective evidence. The way you present your arguements demonstrates either a poor understanding of, or unwillingness to accept the difference between subjective and objective.

im having to repeat a very simple basic thing here over and over because you keep making statements that run contrary to an understanding of subjective and objective. Show us you understand the difference between such simple and basic things without responding like a willful child with I don’t care what you say I’m always right and your wrong.

Those are my facts.