Sign in to follow this  
Seren Du

Just when you thought it was safe on land

Just now, Nutcutt3r said:

Yes I read it thats why I commented. I have died plenty times as well, but it wasnt from being in my inventory while getting chewed on. Try a different weapon, or armor, or even maybe a better tactic or something its not that hard. Use the highg round to your advantage, or the water. Use your dodge moves or, just leave the area. There are freeports until you get better.

You must be trolling right? What am I gonna do in a freeport when my level is capped at 8 there? My experience is about Lawless region which is also still a newbie area and my house is built on shore, the worst was last night before I logged out it was swarmed by 4 wolves simultaniously so I logged off on my ship seeing HP from my house go down while there isn't anyone inside it. High ground or even trying to lure one of  them out of the pack into the water is a very risky undertaking because once there are 2 or more wolves aggroing me and I don't make it into the water I'm dead. I can't craft better weapons or armor, these wolves are level 1-7 while i'm level 25, I should not have this many issues with low level predators who are insanely OP and impossible to dodge or walk around them due to high aggro ranges.

2 minutes ago, Rita Longlegs said:

Fresh out of freeport on yer raft, level lowbie, hardly any skills in terms of building, and then add in the issue of gathering stuff to build your suggested idea... GL with that 😉

You are making it way harder than it is if thats your thinking. If I have to tell you to level up, and take stuff with you before you leave then we may have an issue here.

Its not supposed to be easy by the way. Plus killing all of that stuff levels you up faster- win win. Could it that your PC is just lagging that bad making it worse?

You are making it way harder than it is if thats your thinking. If I have to tell you to level up, and take stuff with you before you leave then we may have an issue here.

Its not supposed to be easy by the way. Plus killing all of that stuff levels you up faster- win win. Could it that your PC is just lagging that bad making it worse?

Dress nakid, wear a hatchet, and go try 😉
It's not supposed to be easy, nope. However, not supposed to be incredibly hard either.

Dude please stop trolling and if you aren't go educate yourself on empathy. Lot's of people have these issues, you could be fine for two or three days (ingame time) straight on the same beach, but once the wolves and lions spawn they just roam across the island killing prey until they spot you and gang up on you. Then your nice place with house and resources becomes a hell with 4 wolves attacking your house or just swarm up to you, you can not defend yourself against this at lower level. And even at lvl 25 when not specializing in weaponry or armor I should be able to kill a a wolf 4-5x less levelled than my character with a pike. It was possible a couple of patches ago but now 2 wolves = sure dead.

3 minutes ago, Jozzie McTowel said:

You must be trolling right? What am I gonna do in a freeport when my level is capped at 8 there? My experience is about Lawless region which is also still a newbie area and my house is built on shore, the worst was last night before I logged out it was swarmed by 4 wolves simultaniously so I logged off on my ship seeing HP from my house go down while there isn't anyone inside it. High ground or even trying to lure one of  them out of the pack into the water is a very risky undertaking because once there are 2 or more wolves aggroing me and I don't make it into the water I'm dead. I can't craft better weapons or armor, these wolves are level 1-7 while i'm level 25, I should not have this many issues with low level predators who are insanely OP and impossible to dodge or walk around them due to high aggro ranges.

Trolling? Sheesh ditch the sword its bunk, get a pike and a bow and arrow, maybe you are leveling up the wrong things. You act like at this point every thing you have done is absolutely perfect and there is no other way to do it.

I am just saying that is probly your issue. If your level 25 then you are doing something wrong. Change your tactic.

Where are you located on the map?

Heres a thought- if the wolf wants in so bad let it and tame him.

Trolling? Sheesh ditch the sword its bunk, get a pike and a bow and arrow, maybe you are leveling up the wrong things. You act like at this point every thing you have done is absolutely perfect and there is no other way to do it.

I am just saying that is probly your issue. If your level 25 then you are doing something wrong. Change your tactic.

I'm using a pike no arrows or bows cuz I'm speccing in shipbuilding and artillery, I'm on a lawless temperate island living on the beach hoping to set sail one day when I'm ready to embark off newbie stuff and hoping not to die from SOTD or lvl 1 whales who trash your boat. There is nothing wrong with my tactic, until two patches ago I could kill wolves without too much problems, if I died then it was my own problem, right now it's impossible to survive two wolves at the same time, the only lame ass tactic that works is luring them into the water and kiling them there as they are dumb swimmers. But that's not how the devs intended me to play the game it is broken, i'm not supposed to use douchebag tactics to survive.

9 minutes ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Heres a thought- if the wolf wants in so bad let it and tame him.

So, we have to spec into building, armory, archery, taming AND the advanced parts of each of those, in order to survive ? ....
Your arguments are falling apart pretty fast at this pace, as there is NO way, that is possible for a new player....
MAYBE, you found a way with swimming away from the buggars, logged off if the heat was too intense, but your "helpfull" ideas, does not work. simple as that.
Im level 26, i die in 2 ... TWO!!!!! bites from a wolf with no armor on. Now, imagine what 1 bite, does to a fresh player level 5.... THAT is where the issue is, as no new player, nor a bunch of high leveld players, simply cant make it.
Animals attack up on decks, through walls, while you sleep etc etc.... theyre buggy, OP as feck and need fixing. Pretty much end of story.

7 minutes ago, Jozzie McTowel said:

I'm using a pike no arrows or bows cuz I'm speccing in shipbuilding and artillery, I'm on a lawless temperate island living on the beach hoping to set sail one day when I'm ready to embark off newbie stuff and hoping not to die from SOTD or lvl 1 whales who trash your boat. There is nothing wrong with my tactic, until two patches ago I could kill wolves without too much problems, if I died then it was my own problem, right now it's impossible to survive two wolves at the same time, the only lame ass tactic that works is luring them into the water and kiling them there as they are dumb swimmers. But that's not how the devs intended me to play the game it is broken, i'm not supposed to use douchebag tactics to survive.

Well with that attitude I can see why you are having issues...

Whatever you want to call trolling is codespeak for telling you something you dont want to hear. Good luck dying repeatedly while you learn your artilery.

You realize you can respec at every level right?

1 minute ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Well with that attitude I can see why you are having issues...

Whatever you want to call trolling is codespeak for telling you something you dont want to hear. Good luck dying repeatedly while you learn your artilery.

You realize you can respec at every level right?

Stop being a dick and just aknowledge the damn thing is broken, if this is intentional gameplay I guess I still have to refund this after 70 hours of frustrating gameplay and technical issues.

Edited by Jozzie McTowel

1 hour ago, Jozzie McTowel said:

Have u even read this entire post? I guess u didnt or u wouldn't have made that comment

8 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

With the skill tree, the abomination that it is, not everyone has a blunderbuss, and so for many, that's not an option.  To be honest, however, I haven't really looked for it yet.  I will give a look now, however.

Fun fact.. you can carry several pistols at once...  And honestly it is rare a wolf kills me and I am only level 30.   I can easily deal with one sometimes two with just my bow and arrows and a sword.   It is WAY easier if I use a flintlock with the above combination.    

Running around with a spear or your fists, yeah you are going to get wreckt by a wolf.

5 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Fun fact.. you can carry several pistols at once...  And honestly it is rare a wolf kills me and I am only level 30.   I can easily deal with one sometimes two with just my bow and arrows and a sword.   It is WAY easier if I use a flintlock with the above combination.    

Running around with a spear or your fists, yeah you are going to get wreckt by a wolf.

you can get away but you need to run in between trees, rocks and such from most alphas, only one you cant out run is a alpha horse because its jump is insane

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some people may find it still easy, however, the spawn rates are awful at time. 

I get the game isnt supposed to be easy yet the wolves at low level hit way too hard a level2 should not be able to 3 hit kill a level 34 char...

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hodo said:

Nobody said anything about fists or a spear.  How about a level 42 character with full metal armor, and a bow, when you have spec'd for the powershot, which is supposed to be more powerful, but isn't.  This powershot is every shot you take, not a feat.  That is how it is described.  And...how it should be.  2 levels were wasted on that.  But yes, the pistol when it connects does a ton of damage.  It's wonky gameplay.  The game is out of balance with how near impossible it is to walk on foot across the large island we are on.  The amount of Alphas makes it even worse.  The silent attack is also part of the problem.  And don't say anything about realism because one arrow to the face of a lion or wolf, and they are breaking off their attack.  Being injured, for a wild animal, is likely to lead to death.  In short, a warrior in full metal armor, trained in the use of a bow, I will bet on him every time in a fight  with one or two wolves or lions.

There is a video of a lion who was shot as it lept at the shooter.  Momentum carried it into the shooter, knocking him down.  The shot wasn't fatal, amazingly, and the lion instantly retreated as it regained its balance after the collision.  It's simple nature.  Which is also why these predators prefer sick, lame, and vulnerable prey.  In the game, they are beyond ridiculous.  And further, take a poll...most people didn't come to this game for the animals and monsters.  They came for the ships.  Period.  I would like to focus on my ship more, and less on recovering my tools, weapons and armor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jozzie McTowel said:

I just read this and I take it you fight Crocodiles in the water where they get a huge speed and maneuver buff and don't drag them onto land where they are slow and cumbersome creatures.

These are not "Lame ass" or "douchebag" tactics as you claim this is smart play and fighting the mobs where you have the advantage.

each mob has it's strength's and weaknesses and to claim fighting it where is is not it's strongest is not what the dev's intended and a "lame ass" or "douchebag" tactic basically tells us that you have a set idea of how this game should be played and are unwilling to look at any possible other way to do things beyond what you have chosen to do.

3 hours ago, Scrad said:

I just read this and I take it you fight Crocodiles in the water where they get a huge speed and maneuver buff and don't drag them onto land where they are slow and cumbersome creatures.

These are not "Lame ass" or "douchebag" tactics as you claim this is smart play and fighting the mobs where you have the advantage.

each mob has it's strength's and weaknesses and to claim fighting it where is is not it's strongest is not what the dev's intended and a "lame ass" or "douchebag" tactic basically tells us that you have a set idea of how this game should be played and are unwilling to look at any possible other way to do things beyond what you have chosen to do.

And what are you supposed to do there smart guy?  You have to forage, since the resources are very spread out, or sometimes in just one spot, well away from your base.  You come over a crest, and two wolves spot you instantly, and charge.  If you do not have friends with you, you are screwed.  If you have two guns, you might have a chance, but if you miss once, good luck.  When you look, and the coast seems clear, you start to harvest something, often to hear a growl and or footsteps right before you get bit.  Often you only have time to turn just in time to see a screen full of teeth.

Then, the absurdity begins.  They actually heal each time they bite you.  What rocket scientist thought up that garbage?  As you reload your guns, they begin to quickly recover health.  Again, what rocket scientist thought that was a good idea?  Your tames get no such benefit, so taking tames out is a fool's errand.  That's if an Alpha snake doesn't somehow get into your pen and kill a take before you know it's there.  I am on the highest level of leadership in an extremely large gaming Org.  Many have asked me if this game is good, and should they buy it.  I tell them no and no...wait...but if they can't wait...join me on unofficial.  At least that fixes some of what's broken.  Like I tell them, the skill tree is beyond stupid.  It doesn't even make sense with what they claim the game to be.  OK, try this stupid on for size.  I am supposed to depend on others, right?  But wait...everything I need them to do, I can do for myself, if I spec'd into it.  See, why do I need anyone to tame an animal for me.  If I can't tame if myself, I can't ride it.  You have to spec into the crafting of something, to be an expert user of that item.  I spec's heavily into archery, so I don't need anyone to make anything for me.  See how stupid that is?  Thankfully, I play of a server that will allow us all to be spec'd into everything by the time we hit max level.  Being locked out of major parts of the game isn't interesting to me.  It's tedious.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scrad said:

I was gonna say sorta what Captain Jack Shadow said about being inland and encountering these things. If you have no base, are not close to water and have the odds against u that these just spawn in on you rather than even walking in on a pack of them u are double screwed. So any newbie who arrives as lvl 8 at a lawless area filled with predators is basically screwed when he's alone. I managed to get out of Lawless by now and moved to a real area last night, logged back in today and next to my boat 3 wolves are attacking a cow, a crow and a turtle. When the wolves entered the water I could pick them off one by one with my pike cuz i'm specced into boat building and artillery to cope with SOTD on my journeys. Those wolves were even attacking a boat next to mine of which I suppose other players were sleeping in the lower deck. Why do these predators go for players who are sleeping in the bottom of a boat where they are unable to see them, might not even smell them. This also damages boats and I wonder if it was my boat next to shore with me being offline for 14 hours if it would have just sank my boat.

One little thing I'll note as important: Make a stone trap near your base!

Same as ark, a big gate and some pillars on a foundation, small enough for you to slip through but it'll hold creatures (even rattlesnakes).    

If you have this then alpha spawns, even of wolves, are a gift.    You get a TON of experience once you trap them and start shooting them.    We have the entire tribe that's online gather with some on our mounts for the exp bonanza (not sure if it's more effective, but we have our lowest level shoot them with a bow).    Usually everyone gains at least a level.

8 hours ago, Migolcow said:

One little thing I'll note as important: Make a stone trap near your base!

Same as ark, a big gate and some pillars on a foundation, small enough for you to slip through but it'll hold creatures (even rattlesnakes).    

If you have this then alpha spawns, even of wolves, are a gift.    You get a TON of experience once you trap them and start shooting them.    We have the entire tribe that's online gather with some on our mounts for the exp bonanza (not sure if it's more effective, but we have our lowest level shoot them with a bow).    Usually everyone gains at least a level.

Yeah, this works, but it is much harder for a small crew, or single player, especially with the Alphas.  They regenerate health pretty fast, so make sure you have a lot of arrows, because even if you spec'd the power shot, which is supposed to make all your arrows hit harder (not the armor piercing shot), you don't do much damage to an alpha with each hit...even an alpha sheep or pig.  So, if you have to make more arrows, you will find that the alpha has regained a whole lot of health back.

The issue with the predators is the long aggro range, the not so smooth way they move towards you, causing you to waste precious chances for a hit on them, and the way they heal every time they hit you.   If on land, I don't find the Crocs to be much of a pain because they are a big, slow target.  The animals that are a frustration, so far are
Any Alpha Predator
Wolf
Tiger
Lion
Giant Snake
Rattler

Because of the Island we are on, being large, with lot's of valleys, it funnels lots of these things to you.  It's not uncommon to try to battle 2 or 3 lions or wolves, and have 1 to 3 snakes join in on the action.  When we have 3 or 4 of us, it's somewhat manageable, but with two, it's not uncommon for both to get killed, and if just one, it's pretty certain death unless you can find a rock you can get on, that they cannot.  Good luck with that when you are out foraging, and they surprise you.

Yeah they upped all carnivores attack speed and damage, it's insane, now a crocodile can kill a player within a second. This shit needs to stop.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 1:31 PM, Nutcutt3r said:

Nobody asked for easy mode pve (even though that would be a legitimate request since the game is pvp focused) but simply for better game design. When I play Subnautica the devs challenge me in several ways, not only aggressive animals spam. If I die it's my fault, I learn and do better the next time. When I die in atlas it's because of bullshit design, they NEVER playtest their numbers. I would say it's incompetence on the designer's part but if not they need to find another job like prison warden, at least they can physically hurt people but will only piss off one at a time. These numbers already made half of our company quit because they wanted to play a pvp game, not "survive the pve hordes at every step". Don't tell me this is good game design, it's just bullshit.

All we need is more/stronger herbivores just like in Ark, then they can keep the carnivores in check.

20190103015147_1.jpg

Edited by Renard1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The 2H mace's power downswing (scroll wheel down) wrecks most animals.  Its slow but while you are mid swing they can't knock you back and it has a big AOE so it hits him.  Just swing a second time and most of them die.  The higher level ones will take a third swing usually.  You will get hurt during this but not dead.  Same goes for snakes.

Pump fortitude if you want to be more resistant to snake venom.  It significantly slows torpor damage, and the temp adjustment makes it even better.

Melee does need some work though.  I think a lot of people don't realize or pay attention to all the different attacks weapons have. Some weapons like the pike have a thrust attack that does far more damage to armoed foes for example but everyone always just does the left mouse click swing.

10 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

The 2H mace's power downswing (scroll wheel down) wrecks most animals.  Its slow but while you are mid swing they can't knock you back and it has a big AOE so it hits him.  Just swing a second time and most of them die.  The higher level ones will take a third swing usually.  You will get hurt during this but not dead.  Same goes for snakes.

Pump fortitude if you want to be more resistant to snake venom.  It significantly slows torpor damage, and the temp adjustment makes it even better.

Melee does need some work though.  I think a lot of people don't realize or pay attention to all the different attacks weapons have. Some weapons like the pike have a thrust attack that does far more damage to armoed foes for example but everyone always just does the left mouse click swing.

Melee is extremely weak and for our situation it's clearly not enough. We're forced to use fire arrows, there are just too many of them and it's not fun at all.

Weak against players, sure. But I literally just outlined a way that works fine against wolves and shit.