Kappinski

suggestion Keep inventory after death

First, I don't want anyone to keep the full inventory after death. That would be stupid and i know it!

BUT

If this should become an MMO and stories should emerge we need to connect to our character a little bit more.
Why bother about cosmetics if they are gone with the next bug or shark?

So here is an idea

I don't know right now how long a corpse stays until it despawns but let's assume it is 5 minutes.
If you die you have the option to respawn instantly (if there is a bed ready)
Or you have the option to wait until your corpse is gone (5 minutes here) and to keep your inventory.
But only Armor and equiped weapons and tools. Everything else is gone or is left behind in a bag. That way you can build your character and keep it.
Or if you don't want to wait because you give a s**t about cosmetics you can just respawn as usual.

Your corpse can still be looted by someone else and if the person takes your pistol. You won't respawn with it of course. So you could wait 5 minutes and still be naked. Maybe we could get the name of the Thieve and set a bounty on his head 😄

Edited by Kappinski

What purpose would this serve? Other than allow you to fast travel all over the map with your gear on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kappinski said:

First, I don't want anyone to keep the full inventory after death. That would be stupid and i know it!

BUT

If this should become an MMO and stories should emerge we need to connect to our character a little bit more.

So here is an idea

I don't know right now how long a corpse stays until it despawns but let's assume it is 5 minutes.
Or you have the option to wait until your corpse is gone (5 minutes here) and to keep your inventory.
But only Armor and equiped weapons and tools. Everything else is gone or is left behind in a bag. That way you can build your character and keep it.
Or if you don't want to wait because you give a s**t about cosmetics you can just respawn as usual.

Your corpse can still be looted by someone else and if the person takes your pistol. You won't respawn with it of course. So you could wait 5 minutes and still be naked. Maybe we could get the name of the Thieve and set a bounty on his head 😄

As far as cosmetics go with ark you already spawn with all the skins so it would be easy to keep cosmetics.

I am actually a fan of having to go back to your body when you die. Even in wow you didn’t have to worry about losing your gear but still had to go back to your body, so I’m almost any game you need to go back to your body for some reason.

if you don’t care about your gear then you don’t have to go back. If it isn’t mythical/tek(ark) I wouldn’t even see a need for going back anyways.

i get what your are saying but even if you are talking about a survival or mmo this is just something they all do.

7 hours ago, Realist said:

As far as cosmetics go with ark you already spawn with all the skins so it would be easy to keep cosmetics.

A bit more Atlas education for you.

When you buy a cosmetic, lets say a pegleg skin. You pay 25 gold at a freeport for the skin, and you receive 10 skins of the pegleg.

You apply the skin to your boots for one leg to appear as a pegleg. You have 9 skins remaining. Those skins appear in your inventory but cannot be removed or stolen or lost. When you die you still have those skins.

If you die whilst wearing your pegleg and you fail to recover your bag, then that is gone. You will then need to apply another skin to your next boot. Leaving you with 8 skins remaining.

A little different from ARK where you have unlimited skins..

25 gold is easy to get so no issues really. The annoying part is when you die in your base and glitch under the floor like I did, you destroy the foundation only for your body to then fall under the ground where it lays, but you can't access it. Had to waste my pegleg, hook, and hat skin because of it, now leaving me with 7.

56 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

When you buy a cosmetic, lets say a pegleg skin. You pay 25 gold at a freeport for the skin, and you receive 10 skins of the pegleg.

You apply the skin to your boots for one leg to appear as a pegleg. You have 9 skins remaining. Those skins appear in your inventory but cannot be removed or stolen or lost. When you die you still have those skins.

If you die whilst wearing your pegleg and you fail to recover your bag, then that is gone. You will then need to apply another skin to your next boot. Leaving you with 8 skins remaining.

25 gold is easy to get so no issues really. The annoying part is when you die in your base and glitch under the floor like I did, you destroy the foundation only for your body to then fall under the ground where it lays, but you can't access it. Had to waste my pegleg, hook, and hat skin because of it, now leaving me with 7.

I never like that feature of keeping it in the inventory. When I first started buying the skins I had no idea they stayed there forever, I don't even know why they put them in the inventory in the first place.

I bought different kinds and when I tried to remove them I couldn't, I was searching all over finding a way to get rid of them and I don't think there is a way, not that I have found anyway. I've never played Ark so if this was a feature in Ark I was not aware of it. I think you should be able to remove this if you wish, it blocks up the inventory, not a fan of it to be honest.

I think the only way to get rid of them is make new clothes and drag them on, I don't see why people should be forced to make clothes though if they want them removed.

1 minute ago, DannyUK said:

I never like that feature of keeping it in the inventory. When I first started buying the skins I had no idea they stayed there forever, I don't even know why they put them in the inventory in the first place.

I bought different kinds and when I tried to remove them I couldn't, I was searching all over finding a way to get rid of them and I don't think there is a way, not that I have found anyway. I've never played Ark so if this was a feature in Ark I was not aware of it. I think you should be able to remove this if you wish, it blocks up the inventory, not a fan of it to be honest.

I think the only way to get rid of them is make new clothes and drag them on, I don't see why people should be forced to make clothes though if they want them removed.

You can hide them using one of the buttons on the left-hand side of the inventory. Can't remember which one it is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

You can hide them using one of the buttons on the left-hand side of the inventory. Can't remember which one it is.

Really? I never knew there was a button to hide them, I will have to take a look at that then thanks.

1 hour ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Thanks for the info. Kind of a bummer you have to buy multiples though. That might just make me run around with normal armor since I will be using gold for claims and npcs. I want a lot of npc’s so I will probably need to tighten the belt as far as cosmetics go.

12 hours ago, Kappinski said:

BUT

So here is an idea

If anything they should destroy inv after death.. that would make people play more intelligently.

And as pointed out, people would just kill themselves, teleport to an island, pvp.. kill themselves, be killed, instantly respawn with all their stuff.. no.. this just isn't acceptable, there's no immersion, it basically removes the survival aspect from a survival game.

Edited by Martyn

4 hours ago, Realist said:

Thanks for the info. Kind of a bummer you have to buy multiples though. That might just make me run around with normal armor since I will be using gold for claims and npcs. I want a lot of npc’s so I will probably need to tighten the belt as far as cosmetics go.

I may be misreading this but, you don't buy multiples. One purchase = 1 skin with 10 uses.

If I am misreading I assume you mean multiples for your army of NPC's so I'll reiterate the cost. 25g. You can literally shovel that out of the ground. Also, again back to gold sinks and inflation blah blah blah. Where there's a mechanic to create currency there MUST be ways to remove it.

Edited by Nari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nari said:

I may be misreading this but, you don't buy multiples. One purchase = 1 skin with 10 uses.

If I am misreading I assume you mean multiples for your army of NPC's so I'll reiterate the cost. 25g. You can literally shovel that out of the ground. Also, again back to gold sinks and inflation blah blah blah. Where there's a mechanic to create currency there MUST be ways to remove it.

Ah sorry about the confusion nari. I didn’t mean it to seem that way. I meant that since I will be paying upkeep on gold from islands as well as npc’s I don’t see my self buying cosmetics which is unfortunate. Regardless of how easy 25 gold is.

i like grinding but I grind for what I want to grind. Not what they want me to grind for. Since cosmetics don’t help the production of material gathering I would rather sacrifice using cosmetics. If npcs cost me a gold upkeep o would rather pay them then get cosmetics. Hopefully that cleared things up.

9 hours ago, Martyn said:

If anything they should destroy inv after death.. that would make people play more intelligently.

And as pointed out, people would just kill themselves, teleport to an island, pvp.. kill themselves, be killed, instantly respawn with all their stuff.. no.. this just isn't acceptable, there's no immersion, it basically removes the survival aspect from a survival game.

I don't know if you were in a PvP fight on official before but the truth is that almost everyone is using unpainted armor without skins because it is lost after death anyway. Or at least most of the time.

I would rather fight against a horde of equipped players than a bunch of naked guys who died once already and don't care about armor anymore xD
They wouldn't respawn instantly with all their stuff. This is just not true. At least this is not what I proposed. You must have missed the part where they have a decision to respawn instantly as usual WITHOUT stuff or they can wait 5 minutes until the corpse is gone and keep what was left in it.
It is a chance to keep your stuff nothing more.

Maybe it would be better to have a second character inventory like in WoW where you can put cosmetics no matter which armor.

• Like 1

That's a good point, for pvp then, keep after death, would make pvp abit more consolised and arcadey maybe bring people back, more fun, less grind.

• Like 1