Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

So the Megas are determined to circumvent the rules, and thus, kill this game?

8 hours ago, galium said:

The game doesnt have enough people to support two pvp servers, thats the reality, specially when you consider they are adding ~250 more islands.  People will ball up regardless of the ruleset, because lots of people is what makes the game fun.

There was room for small companies in the old system, certainly will be in Colonies regardless what others do.

not gonna lie, i'd be playing on both servers, if empires doesn't just die.. colonies would be my tight fam, guerrilla warfare, trading network  type shit and empires would be my go to for large battles and lagfests.

So, let me get this straight.

Mega’s make up what? About 10% of the player base. (from what I’ve been able to find – could be inaccurate)

Some people (no numbers found) don’t play / were driven from the game because of Mega’s.

Most of the exploits / cheating is found within these groups.

Why do Grapeshot even try to cater to this small subset of players?

Why not try to eliminate them from the game entirely?

It might be entirely possible that the games population would increase without these Mega’s in the game at all.

Could be a worthy experiment to try as it’s EA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

So, let me get this straight.

Mega’s make up what? About 10% of the player base. (from what I’ve been able to find – could be inaccurate)

Some people (no numbers found) don’t play / were driven from the game because of Mega’s.

Most of the exploits / cheating is found within these groups.

Why do Grapeshot even try to cater to this small subset of players?

Why not try to eliminate them from the game entirely?

It might be entirely possible that the games population would increase without these Mega’s in the game at all.

Could be a worthy experiment to try as it’s EA.

And how do u propose to do that?

31 minutes ago, znasser said:

And how do u propose to do that?

I know nothing about programming or game development,

Chucking out ideas that "might" improve the game is what these forums are all about.

34 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

Chucking out ideas that "might" improve the game is what these forums are all about.

Its not about programming. Its about a possibility of doing smt like that.

How do you stop people from working together as groups? You are asking smt which can't be done. There is no way how to prevent this. 

Just like you can't prevent 10 smaller companies from working together against a mega you can't prevent Mega which will be splintered to lets say 3 tribes from working together. 

Im afraid you guys are asking for something impossible. I really don't have any idea how to stop tribes from working together. No matter if those tribes are 10 smaller or 3 big tribes which play together.

Edited by Willard

40 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

Im not talking about programming, i know very little about programming myself. How do you get rid of 'megas' and how do you define what's a 'mega' and what's not? where do we draw the line?

6 minutes ago, znasser said:

Im not talking about programming, i know very little about programming myself. How do you get rid of 'megas' and how do you define what's a 'mega' and what's not? where do we draw the line?

That line is easy, anything beyond the scope of company & alliance limit.

You all seem to want me to come up with a way to do it, so here goes.

Put in the terms and conditions that cooperating competatively beyond the scope of company and alliance limits will result in a company wipe for all involved.

Have moderators to inforce this.

there you go, a quickly thought up way to do it.

probably loads that could be wrong with it, but if I can think up a way in a few minutes, surely others can think up better ways.

Just now, Jack Shandy said:

Put in the terms and conditions that cooperating competatively beyond the scope of company and alliance limits will result in a company wipe for all involved.

probably loads that could be wrong with it, but if I can think up a way in a few minutes, surely others can think up better ways.

Limiting cooperation between noalliance companies would totally kill cooperation between small tribes against bigger ones do you know that? It would basically help mega companies because if Mega splinters into 2-3 companies and they will have alliance together noone will be able to fight them except another 3x50 member alliance. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

And how do you prove those guys are cooperating? How much manpower do you have to use to police every interaction in the game to enforce the rule efectively if it's even possible to do that? 

server flooding is not hard to find. would take a 5 min investigation to see if more than 4 companies are attacking one island. 4 companies maxi in alliance. if more than one alliance is attacking the island then they inappropriately forming a mega zerg and should receive temp bans. trust me, once the main menaces receive temp bans, those server flooding kind of zergs will die out because people would rather just play the game.

49 minutes ago, Willard said:

Limiting cooperation between noalliance companies would totally kill cooperation between small tribes against bigger ones do you know that? It would basically help mega companies because if Mega splinters into 2-3 companies and they will have alliance together noone will be able to fight them except another 3x50 member alliance. 

That's an easy one too.

Have alliances limited on a player basis rather than company one. As an example if max company is 50 players make max alliance 100 players.

24 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

That's an easy one too.

Have alliances limited on a player basis rather than company one. As an example if max company is 50 players make max alliance 100 players.

Its hard to do. Lets say you do that. One of alliance company wants to invite more friends to play with them. They will reach limit and they will be forced to leave the alliance or refuse to invite people to play with them.

Those people will leave alliance then to play with their friends and continue to cooperate without alliance. And here we are, nonalliance cooperation again.

Companies don't need alliances to cooperate.

Edited by Willard

1 minute ago, Willard said:

Its hard to do. Lets say you do that. One of alliance company wants to invite more friends to play with them. They will reach limit and they will be forced to leave the alliance or refuse to invite people to play with them. Doesn't seem user friendly for me. 

Current system will be:

Company size 50 and 4 alliances limit = 200 people max

limiting 4 companies to an alliance for small companies say 10 in each doen't seem freindly either.

So being non-user friendly at what scale do you want? small or large?

what's the odds that a company is gonna have their entire company on during a raid 50/50... almost never. let alone a full alliance 200/200? server floods will be the indication of a mega

Edited by Enki Anunnaki

30 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

Current system will be:

Company size 50 and 4 alliances limit = 200 people max

limiting 4 companies to an alliance for small companies say 10 in each doen't seem freindly either.

So being non-user friendly at what scale do you want? small or large?

But there is no problem with alliances. Problem is with megas working together without being in the alliance. Your proposal to somehow reduce alliances solves nothing. Megas will keep cooperating between their "clusters" even without alliance and between eaxh other. 

You simply can't prevent nonalliance cooperation, this problem has no solution.

You can reduce alliances however you want, you can even disable them completely. Unfortunately it won't lead anywhere. Thr only way how to fight Megas are people fighting them together, not developers. There is no solution how to disrupt megas without hurting smaller tribes too.

Edited by Willard

7 minutes ago, Willard said:

But there is no problem with alliances. Problem is with megas working together without being in the alliance. Your proposal to somehow reduce alliances solves nothing. Megas will keep cooperating between their "clusters" even without alliance and between eaxh other. 

You simply can't prevent nonalliance cooperation, this problem has no solution.

You can reduce alliances however you want, you can even disable them completely. Unfortunately it won't lead anywhere. Thr only way how to fight Megas are people fighting them together, not developers. There is no solution how to disrupt megas without hurting smaller tribes too.

This was answering "your" post on alliances. Duh!

52 minutes ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

what's the odds that a company is gonna have their entire company on during a raid 50/50... almost never. let alone a full alliance 200/200? server floods will be the indication of a mega

what if a company is just passing by, and find themselves into that mess, should they be punished  too? And in case your answer is no, how would you differenciate those who should be punished and those who don't? 

6 minutes ago, znasser said:

what if a company is just passing by, and find themselves into that mess, should they be punished  too? And in case your answer is no, how would you differenciate those who should be punished and those who don't? 

odds are, that company would be in and out of the zone before a mod ever even got to the server. also, it wouldnt be hard to take a look at the server log. easy to make a log that shows all people, their companies, their steam name and id number, how long they were in the server, people they've killed in the server, structures destroyed while in server etc.

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bandit_Black said:

Update:

There are no megas left.

i'll believe it when i see it. But it would be great if that were true but we still had a great population. Lag free combat is awesome. 50 on 50 is just right.

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Like 2

I find it hilarious you guys are looking to destroy larger companies and alliance in a game marketed as a MMO. 

This is not ARK.  Sooner people get this through their skulls the better.  You bring all your biases and wants from that game into this one and its not doing the game developers any good. 

If they wanted to develop ARK with ships they would have f'ing said so. 

Edited by DocHolliday

3 hours ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

soooo where in MMO is the SLT spelled out for super large teams? oh, its not. 

Yeah mmo doesn’t mean Megas in the slightest. It means a lot of people on one map. Factions is still definitely the way to go. Two factions and everything is good

19 hours ago, Willard said:

Its not about programming. Its about a possibility of doing smt like that.

How do you stop people from working together as groups? You are asking smt which can't be done. There is no way how to prevent this. 

Just like you can't prevent 10 smaller companies from working together against a mega you can't prevent Mega which will be splintered to lets say 3 tribes from working together. 

Im afraid you guys are asking for something impossible. I really don't have any idea how to stop tribes from working together. No matter if those tribes are 10 smaller or 3 big tribes which play together.

Not true at all.  While you can't prevent them from working together through a voice app, you can make it much more difficult, to the point that it isn't workable.  The best way is to limit the number of people in a Company, and an Alliance.  By allowing 50 in a company, and 200 in an Alliance, you are allowing for Megas to spit into 4 companies, and actually work together.  You will see their tags, and your Ai guns will not shoot at them.  If you cannot ally with them, you make it much harder, since your Ai guns will see no difference between them, and the enemy.  Plus, when you see somebody in the distance, are they friend, or foe?  You see a guy on a bear, and see no tag, so you and your bear do what?  Attack, or wait and try to find out if he is a friend?  There are likely other things that can be done, to make it harder.  But they have to actually do that.

If I have a group of a dozen to two dozen people who want to play, we have a chance, if the most we will fight against are 50 people.  But if it is 200, we might as well not play.  Better to find a game that is going to allow us a chance.  Oh sure, the argument can be made that if we are skilled, and they are not, we have a chance, but what if they are almost as skilled, or equally skilled?

Also, some make out that it's not a big deal because most of the people in a Mega are not fighters.  Yeah, that makes no difference.  Games like this are less about fighting skill, and more about production.  If you have 200 people, split into 4 groups of 50, and one are the fighters, and the others are producers, that's a huge advantage.  The truth is, games need balance, but games like this have zero balance.  So they tend to have short lives.  Meanwhile, a game that is quite balanced, WWIIOL, is still going, 18 years later.

12 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

I find it hilarious you guys are looking to destroy larger companies and alliance in a game marketed as a MMO. 

This is not ARK.  Sooner people get this through their skulls the better.  You bring all your biases and wants from that game into this one and its not doing the game developers any good. 

If they wanted to develop ARK with ships they would have f'ing said so. 

ARK had super large teams.  MegaTribes, they were called.

I am not asking that they destroy large companies.  I am asking, for the good of the game, for the Mega Companies to be on one server, and the smaller companies to be on another.  I DO NOT find it hilarious that the Megas seem OK with running off many smaller companies, and the game getting a reputation that if you are not in a Mega, you can forget it.  This is where we are headed.  I saw a lot of interest when the Colonies and Empires servers were announced.  When it came out that the Megas were going to follow the smaller companies to Colonies, a lot of that interest has died.  So the Megas say it is because they want the rules of Colonies.  Fine, change Empires to have those rules, minus the rules that limit company size.

We have a chance to get people back, but when they come back, and they realize that the Megas are still ruling the map by getting around the company member limit, they will leave and never come back.  This is where the Megas need to do the right thing, for the game.