Sign in to follow this  
kampfer91

Large gate spamming should be dealt with.

To some people , they use those large gates to wall up theirs base  and make sure nothing get inside , but the same excuse they will use when they walled up the entire coast and make a large portion of island unreachable , including metal nodes and rare resources , it is also a pain to load when there are so many of them in the area .

I don't see why you need so many gates , in PVE at least , cus i build a secured pen without the use of those pesky gate that block everyone path .

I believe there should be a limit of how many large gate you can build in one area .

it's material efficiency.  Making real walls uses way more materials.  Then they wonder why stuff keeps getting into their "base"

8 minutes ago, kampfer91 said:

To some people , they use those large gates to wall up theirs base  and make sure nothing get inside , but the same excuse they will use when they walled up the entire coast and make a large portion of island unreachable , including metal nodes and rare resources , it is also a pain to load when there are so many of them in the area .

I don't see why you need so many gates , in PVE at least , cus i build a secured pen without the use of those pesky gate that block everyone path .

I believe there should be a limit of how many large gate you can build in one area .

Large gates are used because they are easier to manage than the games building system, you can angle them, have them cover large areas, you can have them overlap on the ends so it makes a solid wall. They are faster to put up. There are way too many advantages to them to not use them, They have more health than a single wall because killing 1 wall tile is effectively the same as destroying the gate, you can still walk into the area ether way, if you wanted to make double walls, it is pretty easy to do since you can stack them basically inside of each other. 

There is no other way to effectively cover area quickly. If they made massive wall panels, people would complain about those also, and actual walls made out of stone or wood, take more resources to load in, since you have to load every single tile, along with the foundations, ceilings, roof tiles and anything else people use to build walls. 

While an eye sore, it is actually better to have the gates than the current alternatives.

Edit, I forgot, you can stack them on top of each other also as far as I know, as high as you want. so 4 or 5 high shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Evir

While in pvp it is about stopping people from entering a territory , in PVE however i don't see it effectively stopping animal as they still spawn near the house and when the distance between between the house and the gate wall is like whole  baseball field , at that point it is hogging the resources .

39 minutes ago, kampfer91 said:

While in pvp it is about stopping people from entering a territory , in PVE however i don't see it effectively stopping animal as they still spawn near the house and when the distance between between the house and the gate wall is like whole  baseball field , at that point it is hogging the resources .

On claimed territory, there is a pretty significant distance that foundations block respawns. you just have to build around that, if there is a spot that you miss, just drop a foundation on it when something spawns there.

I think the large gates are fine. They need to add a large wall variant so people can actually have long stretches of walls that look like walls surrounding a fort. You can easily climb over these doors at the moment. You act like there isn't a game mechanic which lets you get around or destroy these walls if need be. People are building bases. Not hotels for people to waltz up to. I doubt the walls are causing that big of a performance hit. A wall built with lots of stone walls would be way more objects to load. If anything they need to increase the range at which these things load when you are close. I don't know how many times I have sailed into these near someones harbor because they load up very late in front of my boat as I am hauling by an island or to an island.

I do wish there were "harbor chains" you could deploy to prevent folks from assing up your parking space but then also letting them come inland and contribute taxes or hunt treasure maps.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ptonfm said:

PvE and people still gate up the whole island areas.  Troll game. 

We gated a small area off with these behemoth gates in I9 because of the aggressive animals about a month back. At the time it was the best decision our group ever made. The vultures were so numerous that you would often hit a vulture instead of a resource. The vultures seemed to have the highest weight on the area we were in and the gates prevented them from organizing into hit squads. The vulture packs made the game tedious, but since the animal changes, we are thinking of taking the gates down, not that there is a line of people wanting to park it in I9

Some of our allies, in different and better regions, refuse to take their gates down in fear of a Lawless style foundation blockade from some aggressive Chinese players:

Did Behemoth gate spam/ pillar spam ever get fixed in ARK on Official PvE? I do not think this is a priority of Grapeshot atm. If you *need* to get over a wall for a discovery point there are tools available. The game allows land locking and resource blocking atm, and that sucks. 

OP - Do you have any screenshots or have you attempted to make contact with the company/players?

P.S A shoutout to the Meaty Pizza Company in G8 for always having their doors open and the metal nodes accessible, bless you.

19A363D344DF9351FE197AC2304E9ADC7BDC01B3

This is just one example , a whole coast walled up just to protect a tiny house and still , there is wolf spawned inside , and this is not lawless area  . During my journey there are many like this , walled up the coast , animal still spawn in and outside the gate wall and people can't bring mule to carry resources .

Edited by kampfer91
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Defixio said:

I do wish there were "harbor chains" you could deploy to prevent folks from assing up your parking space but then also letting them come inland and contribute taxes or hunt treasure maps.

Yea I agree totally on this. I tried using an elevator to block off the harbor but it doesn't take much to get through it. Pillars work really well at messing up ships who sail through your door since most people don't look, I have sunk a lot of ships with pillars but these get old to break and replace anytime you leave and come back. Also would like to see sea mines at some point although it's not necessarily period accurate there isn't much you can do to keep a ship from getting close. Npc's don't use mortars anymore since they aim to well and I am not sure if they will add them back to using them at some point. Large cannons mounted up high can out range a ship but don't turn so it's not hard to find the spots they fail to hit. It's very hard to keep a ship from getting near. Of course it all doesn't matter because bear cannon/swivel carts are the ultimate siege weapon. Catapults? haha...