Sign in to follow this  
LiLBiTs

Nerfing glider (again?). Well, I guess that's it for me.

2 minutes ago, LiLBiTs said:

You presumed I was referring to the hotbar exploit in my original post when I never mentioned anything of the sort, and then chose to call me delusional? Indeed.. Full. Stop..

I understand you don't like the gliders, full stop, but this post wasn't intended to debate that. It's an honest opinion from one of the game's players that I would hope a dev would appreciate and take as constructive criticism. If my game's player base was on the decline, I would want to have an idea as to why. And thus, this post was born. And thus, your snarky ass found it and decided it was worth shitting on.

The reason I "assume to know better" the intent of the designers is based on seeing the community bitch and moan about the gliders from the beginning so much that they slowly started adjusting them. So slowly that they still allowed for vertical climb for quite a while, as it's not a ridiculous notion to have on a glider, except to those who can't or chose not to use them of course. 

You need to chill out.

That's a poor basis for an assumption.

Come with an atitude and you'll likely get one back, I was slightly regretting not being a bit more gentle in my reply, not so much now. Turns out you probably are as arrogant as I thought and actually think you were doing something difficult that your average child couldn't master.

5 minutes ago, Not Happy said:

You need to chill out.

That's a poor basis for an assumption.

Come with an atitude and you'll likely get one back, I was slightly regretting not being a bit more gentle in my reply, not so much now. Turns out you probably are as arrogant as I thought and actually think you were doing something difficult that your average child couldn't master.

LOL, I just.. don't get how your brain derps, my friend. You come in shitting on my post and then seem surprised when I respond to it... Maybe don't shit on other people's opinion unless you're prepared to deal with their reactions?

The whole point of my post, seeing as how you're solely focused on my replies to your comments, is that this was an achievable feat by any player, therefor it didn't need to be removed, but rather learned as a skill. It was a known mechanic pulled from ARK. Do yo know who pulled it from ARK? Hrrmmm, i dunno... the devs? Now, the only real reason I could see this being taken from ARK as-is and then later adjusted would be due to community feedback, which is known for being a mostly negative and toxic bitch fest. Watching EA games develop over the years, especially with ARK, one develops sense of how devs respond to such feedback. Typically, the feedback is overwhelmingly negative and meaningless, and the easiest thing to do is focus on the smaller, trivial issues that are easy to change in comparison to others such as server lag and desync. That way, it shows the devs are still trying to "fix" the game according to the standards of the "community".

❤️

9 minutes ago, LiLBiTs said:

It's not unlimited flight when the glider breaks from using it. This misconception that player using gliders are jet fighters sent in to obliterate entire bases and harbors is ridiculous. If someone had the skills to accomplish this, then they're fucking gods. The nerfs + lag made this feat anything but possible. People just assumed that it's an OP skill because they've never been able to do it, therefore they never understood how ridiculous of a notion it is to call it unlimited flight. The gliders are unforgiving as hell. One miscalculated key click and you're screwed.

Why should it matter how slim the possibility or how difficult it is to maintain an exploit. Just because it's difficult to achieve doesn't mean it's justified being in the game.

1 hour ago, Argh! said:

I think we can all agree that the game should be FUN!! 

What I took away from this post is that one of the joyful moments of this experience was crippled, and that does have a broader affect -- I've seen evidence in the game industry of developers making foolish choices based on vocal minorities. Unfortunately in this case we can never know the internal debate that lead to this change, or extrapolate the developers intent. Regardless...

I did try the gliders for fun, (as did the rest of my company) and the glider's already tough to control --  much less to master. Their potential as a major threat to game balance is really low (even if you could cross oceans) -- It's a solo act, with limited offensive capabilities. honestly You could do more damage with a raft - the trade off is carry weight and time. But the act of flying with a glider is REALLY FUN! <-- ultimately we rarely use ours.

It's cool to see so many people passionate about this game's potential and its promise to fulfill our Age of Sail pirate fantasies. It serves us better to focus that passion towards the Devs, than on each other. @LiLBiTs I'm glad you posted -- There is a metric in the industry called the "MTS" (Mean Time to Smile) used to measure engagement. When you are in the trenches on a project of this scope it's easy to loose sight of that. It never hurts to remind developers that the reason we play their games is because they are (first and foremost) FUN!

Thank you @Argh!. I feel like you're one of the few people that actually read and understood this post. I would like to think that a dev will see this and possibly give it a second of consideration, but deep down I know that this was merely a means for me to vent my frustration 😛 

2 minutes ago, LiLBiTs said:

LOL, I just.. don't get how your brain derps, my friend.

Oh dear, I've no interest in getting into a pissing contest with you. I could easily win it, but would have ultimately lost just by taking part.

Others have said it, if you can't see why it was broken then I don't know where to start. Dev's agree, the end.

Just now, Writhes said:

Why should it matter how slim the possibility or how difficult it is to maintain an exploit. Just because it's difficult to achieve doesn't mean it's justified being in the game.

Please, explain to me how gaining altitude is an exploit in a game which attempts to mimic real world physics based on movement-by-wind?

9 minutes ago, Not Happy said:

Oh dear, I've no interest in getting into a pissing contest with you. I could easily win it, but would have ultimately lost just by taking part.

Others have said it, if you can't see why it was broken then I don't know where to start. Dev's agree, the end.

How very noble of you to rise above and keep your snarky opinions to yourself. Oh wait... Full stop.. I think ya might've missed that train there, buddy. But by all means, this is as good of a stop as any to get off. 

1 hour ago, Argh! said:

I think we can all agree that the game should be FUN!! 

What I took away from this post is that one of the joyful moments of this experience was crippled, and that does have a broader affect -- I've seen evidence in the game industry of developers making foolish choices based on vocal minorities. Unfortunately in this case we can never know the internal debate that lead to this change, or extrapolate the developers intent. Regardless...

I did try the gliders for fun, (as did the rest of my company) and the glider's already tough to control --  much less to master. Their potential as a major threat to game balance is really low (even if you could cross oceans) -- It's a solo act, with limited offensive capabilities. honestly You could do more damage with a raft - the trade off is carry weight and time. But the act of flying with a glider is REALLY FUN! <-- ultimately we rarely use ours.

It's cool to see so many people passionate about this game's potential and its promise to fulfill our Age of Sail pirate fantasies. It serves us better to focus that passion towards the Devs, than on each other. @LiLBiTs I'm glad you posted -- There is a metric in the industry called the "MTS" (Mean Time to Smile) used to measure engagement. When you are in the trenches on a project of this scope it's easy to loose sight of that. It never hurts to remind developers that the reason we play their games is because they are (first and foremost) FUN!

Regardless of fun I think it's important for devs to follow the path and vision of the game design laid out before them. When you start allowing everything to exist because some people find it fun then the game can start to detract from what it was meant to be. In this case if gliders can become the main source of solo transportation for land and even the sea then what happens to other aspects of the game meant for solo transportation aka horses and sloops?

Gliding safely off a mountain or boarding other ships from a crows nest is about the extent of glider usefulness Id like to see. When it starts becoming the dominant means of transportation across close islands or across large distances of land then its clearly something that needs to be dealt with to avoid compromising the methods of travel meant for those things.

Edited by Writhes
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LiLBiTs said:

How very noble of you to rise above and keep your snarky opinions to yourself. Oh wait... Full stop.. I think ya might've missed that train there, buddy. But by all means, this is as good of a stop as any to get off. 

A snarky opinion that is totally in line with the development teams and the majority of responders on this thread "buddy". Oh, you're right, weve just pulled into Winsville, this is my stop.

2 hours ago, Roan said:

Any word yet on flying ships? It's coming!

DLC drops early December! Just in time for the holidays!!

2 hours ago, Not Happy said:

A snarky opinion that is totally in line with the development teams and the majority of responders on this thread "buddy". Oh, you're right, weve just pulled into Winsville, this is my stop.

I’m not your buddy, pal. 

9 hours ago, LiLBiTs said:

Nerfing vertical flight has taken a lot of enjoyment out of the game for me. Not sure how much whining and complaining it took for the devs to cave in to considering it an exploit, as I don't want to waste anymore time with this digging though a bunch of posts reading about people not understanding the mechanics of the game.

This was the closest to an updraft mechanic they had, and once mastered, it was so much fun to use. Especially for scouting and transporting supplies. I'd be really curious to see the actual number of players who actually had a problem vs. the entire playerbase. Unfortunately, nobody bothers going to the report/bug posts when they don't have an issue with anything, so then devs only see a select few of posts complaining and take that as the mass opinion.

I understand that flying across the sea/grid(s) to another island and then destroying ships is frustrating, but anyone had the ability to achieve this and retaliate with the same tactic. The real issue is that the vertical climb was finicky and took a bit of skill, and not everyone had the time or patience to try, so to them it was considered witchcraft. But it wasn't... There is literally a command bind for W and S to climb or dive. Because a vast majority of players didn't understand this, it became another means to bitch about the game after getting attacked. Instead of learning from the situation and redesigning defenses, they take to the forums to change the game itself. After all the prior nerfing to the gliders, there was no reason to go further. It was so risky to fly as is since the change to it's ability to open back up mid flight was adjusted. Plus, the glider's durability is the game's natural deterrent for abusing prolonged flight since you can only glide for as long as the suit lasts.

I hope this game will settle on a decently sized playerbase, but unfortunately after this particular change I don't feel that I'll be apart of it. The glam of the new-ish ARK aesthetics of the game wore off pretty quick, and I played plenty of Sea of Thieves to have had my fix for sitting on a boat sailing to an island and back for 2 hours. Achieving the vertical glide was a fun accomplishment and I was really excited to explore its possibilities. The nerf today made me realize it was glider that was keeping me interested. But whatever, it's been done. I'll be pretty damn shocked if they reverted it back since it's way more difficult to take than give.

I'm not saying I'm done with the game and that it's shit now. It's a great game, but my interest in playing up to this point was teetering and is now gone. The daily grind is more than likely going to turn to a weekly or monthly grind, if that. Unfortunately, I know another game will drop and what little was left pulling me to Atlas isn't going to be strong enough now. But that's how it goes. So for now, good luck everyone. I hope whatever aspect of the game you've come to enjoy doesn't get completely shat on because a bunch of n0obs took to the interwebs to complain about being n0obs 🙂

Just another „cry me a river“ whiner threat.

Stop whining, fight like a pirat instead, with a ship instead of a X-wing !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LiLBiTs said:

It's not unlimited flight when the glider breaks from using it. This misconception that player using gliders are jet fighters sent in to obliterate entire bases and harbors is ridiculous. If someone had the skills to accomplish this, then they're fucking gods. The nerfs + lag made this feat anything but possible. People just assumed that it's an OP skill because they've never been able to do it, therefore they never understood how ridiculous of a notion it is to call it unlimited flight. The gliders are unforgiving as hell. One miscalculated key click and you're screwed.

Right, we could only fly the entire server tile around with no issue....and on top of that we could always hotswap the gliders for even longer range.

Stop the denial about how idiotic OP it was in all aspects.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Talono said:

Just another „cry me a river“ whiner threat.

Stop whining, fight like a pirat instead, with a ship instead of a X-wing !

Nah, I think I'll just find a more enjoyable game and leave this farming sim behind for a while. Good luck with ya bad self, Mr. Troll.