HM7

Treasure Maps

Been to 5 treasure map locations so far and though i searched the whole islands i never got any marker and therefor never got any chest. What am i doing wrong or is this just bugged?

Go to the correct island. Drag the map to your zero slot. Press zero to open. It should light up for you. You should see it from a few hundred feet away.

any slot works, but it MUST be on your bar.  

Our scout sometimes has 6 on her bar at the ship to see how close they are

Edited by Archsenex

Then hope they aren't inside a cliff or object. Or on top of a giant arch... etc etc. Oh and hope it lets you dig up the chest at the end. They are pretty flakey at the best of times.

Take climbing picks and grapples, don't forget your shovel. And if it glitches and says you have still got guys to kill, go away until it resets then fight them again. If the beam is inside an object you are stuffed, throw away the map and do another.

Yep we spent an afternoon building a huge ramp up to a pillar we had 3 on top of then just short of the top we got "Too high above ground" and couldn't place any more ramps.

make sure you are not mounted, you will not get the beam of light if you are mounted but the skeletons will spawn if you are mounted and get close to it.

some treasure maps are just not worth the trouble. My groups was doing 150-250g maps and we ran into one on an island where the terrain was just horrible and the map ended up being on top of a massive mountain. We decided to trash it and mark that island as a never to go for treasure hunts again. The terrain was so bad our rides kept getting stuck every few meters.

38 minutes ago, Strategos said:

Then hope they aren't inside a cliff or object. Or on top of a giant arch... etc etc. Oh and hope it lets you dig up the chest at the end. They are pretty flakey at the best of times.

Take climbing picks and grapples, don't forget your shovel. And if it glitches and says you have still got guys to kill, go away until it resets then fight them again. If the beam is inside an object you are stuffed, throw away the map and do another.

And always wear clean underwear.

And brush your teeth.

And look both ways before crossing the street.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

• Haha 1

We've yet to find a map that was truly undoable.  Some of them were bigger pains in the ass than they were worth, but we never had one that we couldn't find the location etc.

There were a couple times we ended up on top of a massive arch/area only to realize there was a small cave or underpass, and it was really down there.

• Like 1

yea maps are super fun.  getting a few ranks in the piracy tree for map finding is SUPER GOOD by the way. you can spot the dig spot from the shore and direct your crew. you can also judge early if the spot is burried inside a pointy rock and thus not worth trying.

Yes, I would have to say maps are the main thing that keeps me playing Atlas. I design my ship around what I need to travel to do maps, I tame what is needed to gather mats to make the ship and also what I would want to take when I do a map. The game pretty much revolves around the maps at this point. It is the most interesting part of the game for me so far.

i tried equipping the map to bar and now it works. And i thought just equipping the map from the inventory to hold it directly in front of my face, blocking nearly all of my sight was enough. Man was i stupid ..

4 minutes ago, HM7 said:

i tried equipping the map to bar and now it works. And i thought just equipping the map from the inventory to hold it directly in front of my face, blocking nearly all of my sight was enough. Man was i stupid ..

Ya, the maps are a bit confusing. I think most people have done it wrong or seen someone doing it wrong. Another thing is forgetting to level the skill needed to do treasure maps.

I followed some people around all over an island, only to discover the guy with the map hadn't leveled the skill 🙂 They handed the map to me and I found it almost immediately. Next mistake they made was to be mounted on their tames when I dug up the treasure. You must dismount or you will not receive any treasure when it is dug up.

Eagle eye in piracy increases distance you can see buried treasure beacons. It's not necessary but it makes things a lot easier which is why in a group I let the person with them (I have other priorities) do it.

2 hours ago, HM7 said:

what skill do you mean?

Well I assumed you needed Piracy to do treasure maps, I've always learned that skill, but I could be wrong. I've done it without eagle eye, that just helps you see them farther away. I think you can't make the shovel without piracy, but I'm not sure, not in game right now.

14 hours ago, Nokim said:

make sure you are not mounted, you will not get the beam of light if you are mounted but the skeletons will spawn if you are mounted and get close to it.

some treasure maps are just not worth the trouble. My groups was doing 150-250g maps and we ran into one on an island where the terrain was just horrible and the map ended up being on top of a massive mountain. We decided to trash it and mark that island as a never to go for treasure hunts again. The terrain was so bad our rides kept getting stuck every few meters.

Yeah I used to spend a lot of time trying anything to get to maps. I quickly scrap them now if it’s a pain. I shy away from maps that look like they are in middle of islands and stick to the ones that look like they are on the shore.