Sign in to follow this  
Stabby

Stop making the game harder!

It's already too hard! You guys keep making shitty changes that we DONT want! 

STOP!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In response to requests to stop making the game harder, all walls and ship panels have been softened to 25% of their previous hp.

• Haha 2

/laughs in stone wall explosive damage

I do like harder games though.  It *IS* a survival game after all.

29 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

Or is it? Before release it was actually billed as an MMO, but feels more like a survival game, just like you say.

all the bugs hacks and exploits make the game harder then it already should be 

if they want more stuff for players to do add fucking content 

this is ALSO AFTER THEY increased gathering rates by 2x 

what genius is in charge over there they made it 2x easier to build stone walls then made it harder wtf logic please 

37 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

if the enemy has a stronger base because its easier to get stone walls = the game is harder 

derp

• Like 1

It seems that most of the PVE damage originates on the PVP servers. I wish a game would think about that before launching. You can balance them both differently ya know...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stabby said:

It's already too hard! You guys keep making shitty changes that we DONT want! 

STOP!

It can never be to hard... I know I like it hard... hard as it can get... like steal hard.. I want to be able to break bones with it.... oh wait you are talking about the game... my bad.

34 minutes ago, Stabby said:

It seems that most of the PVE damage originates on the PVP servers. I wish a game would think about that before launching. You can balance them both differently ya know...

Exactly, they shouldnt have bothered with an official PVE server and just left that to the private servers.  Balanced the game on 2 PVP servers. 

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

It can never be to hard... I know I like it hard... hard as it can get... like steal hard.. I want to be able to break bones with it.... oh wait you are talking about the game... my bad.

Exactly, they shouldnt have bothered with an official PVE server and just left that to the private servers.  Balanced the game on 2 PVP servers. 

Ummm no? Gaming studios are finally learning that player retention comes from PVE. So many games are forcing PvP down peoples throats these days (in this genre) that any new MMO with PVE servers are an instant hit. A huge part of Atlas' success will come specifically from the PVE servers.

My point was that, me personally, if I was to create a game today, I would design the game around class balance of both PvP and PvE. In other words both would get different classes, gear, weapons, etc. So many games make the mistake of ruining the PvE experience in order to balance the PvP experience, or vice versa. You have to have foresight and design with the anticipation of balance issues.

Edited by Stabby

Survival games, which this is, should be hard.  It's a tough genre, as it should be.   I didn't play Ark, but, I started Conan Exiles very early in EA.  It was maddeningly frustrating, especially as my first survival game.  It took a while but, Conan Exiles now, is light years from where it was....Atlas will be as well, I am sure of it.  Tough it out, get tougher.  This game has awesome potential and no, I am not a fanboi.  Hang in there and stay cool.

The reason they (and most companies) don't for games built like this is because they would have to split the code tree into two and maintain 2 separate copies at different version levels with different changes.  It's basically twice the work for minimal changes.  Some things can be done to make certain mechanics work in both without needing it, specifically things that have an 'on/off toggle and other mechanics don't rely on such as player to player damage.  It's just a config file change, a simple true/false.  Other things like the pve boat sinking issue that was happening is a far more complex problem and just turning off sinking, or weight, etc breaks other mechanics and coding in new methods to deal with it could affect the other game type negatively.  

19 hours ago, wildbill said:

Or is it? Before release it was actually billed as an MMO, but feels more like a survival game, just like you say.

I was dubious but open minded about the notion of a "survival MMO" when Atlas was announced. Let's just say that I'm not less dubious one month into EA.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, Mighty Zarkon said:

I want the game harder....

Thank you sir may I have another?

Go see Neidermeyer.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Stabby said:

Ummm no? Gaming studios are finally learning that player retention comes from PVE. So many games are forcing PvP down peoples throats these days (in this genre) that any new MMO with PVE servers are an instant hit. A huge part of Atlas' success will come specifically from the PVE servers.

My point was that, me personally, if I was to create a game today, I would design the game around class balance of both PvP and PvE. In other words both would get different classes, gear, weapons, etc. So many games make the mistake of ruining the PvE experience in order to balance the PvP experience, or vice versa. You have to have foresight and design with the anticipation of balance issues.

From a developers standpoint, there are two major considerations that war with each other. On the one hand, there is the perpetual siren song of pvp, where the players ongoing fighting of each other amounts to the players creating their own content. So developers love pvp for that reason. On the other hand, making your game pure pvp is problematic from a business perspective, because in the vast majority of games that have both pvp and pve, the pve playerbase is numerically greater than the pvp playerbase, meaning more moneyz. 

This leads to the perpetual attempt to offer both, coded as similarly as possible, but in practice resulting in frustration to both sides.

*shrugs*

C'est la vie