tateybread

I'm Done with Taming in this game.

@Udo He asked if they change something did he not?  I told him,  from an example of mine that "YES"  they did.  I used to have to feed around it's head,  and now can feed by stomach.  Explain how this had nothing to do with his post

2 minutes ago, Gfnjr said:

@Udo He asked if they change something did he not?  I told him,  from an example of mine that "YES"  they did.  I used to have to feed around it's head,  and now can feed by stomach.  Explain how this had nothing to do with his post

again read his post the very second sentance says " i tried to tame and elephant "

he did ask if tmaing was changed yes i agree , but the issue is with elephants specificcally for this thread , hearing how someone tamed a rhino is not helping him ,

i have had the same issues with elepahnts as the op , the issue has only arisen since patch 15 ... they are easier to now tame in the wild .. 

1 minute ago, UDO said:

again read his post the very second sentance says " i tried to tame and elephant "

he did ask if tmaing was changed yes i agree , but the issue is with elephants specificcally for this thread , hearing how someone tamed a rhino is not helping him ,

i have had the same issues with elepahnts as the op , the issue has only arisen since patch 15 ... they are easier to now tame in the wild .. 

Ok,  last time I will respond to this because ridiculous.  Maybe just maybe he was trying to feed by it's damn head and didn't try.  My point was that they moved the feeding points.  Thus it may very well be helpful.  Why are people like this?   Maybe next time I won't specifically call out a Rhino and just say " try different feeding spots"  and move on. 

Can confirm.
Im OP.
I did try to tame an Elephant.
I said so in my original post.
I also tried every concievable angle, in front of its face, from the side (both sides) and the back. Also dismantled the pen and had the same problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awesome!  Just trying to help and get "called out"  Sorry your having trouble,  clearly a bug then.  Read quite a bit more people having trouble last night also.

Well not awesome it didn't work for you!!  Lol

Edited by Gfnjr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tateybread said:

Can confirm.
Im OP.
I did try to tame an Elephant.
I said so in my original post.
I also tried every concievable angle, in front of its face, from the side (both sides) and the back. Also dismantled the pen and had the same problem.

I've also been having this issue with elephants, I haven't really tried anything else for a while. Elephants were tamable with difficulty with the 15.0 patch, but one of the patches after that broke it completely. Last night I couldn't get anywhere near the area now required to feed it before it would flip out, and if I tried any other angle the E key straight up didn't work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warspectre said:

I've also been having this issue with elephants, I haven't really tried anything else for a while. Elephants were tamable with difficulty with the 15.0 patch, but one of the patches after that broke it completely. Last night I couldn't get anywhere near the area now required to feed it before it would flip out, and if I tried any other angle the E key straight up didn't work. 

We've been having no issues taming feeding behind the ear like always.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, gadefence said:

We've been having no issues taming feeding behind the ear like always.

It wouldn't be the first time a bug hasn't affected everyone, so lucky you I guess. But I can get the [E] to feed to pop up and mash E until my finger falls off and it wouldn't do any good. I'm forced to feed from an area that gets me pulverized 80% of the time. I even respec'd into Sneak 3 and tried crouching which I'm assuming is how you sneak and it still flips out and knocks me away. 

I actually haven't been able to tame from behind the ear on wolves or horses either since the 15.0 patch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 7:02 AM, tateybread said:

I specced max affinity. The issue was that the elephant was not accepting food from any angle. This was happening randomly, which caused me to lose progress back to zero multiple times.

It seems from post from others that there were more people having the same issue.

I had this happen a couple times, but luckily had a Company Mate with me, and he was able to get the feed in... then my ability came back at the next feeding

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 10:13 AM, archaegeo said:

Bear in mind if you do it with a pen, sometimes they keep attacking the pen and you get hit by the attack.

Yes, and I found when they are attacking the pen, I was able to get close enough for the the feed by being in the pen approaching along the body towards the head... when I approached from around the head, the pen attacks would get me

On 1/21/2019 at 10:43 AM, Supernaturaloven said:

They need to completely rework taming as a whole. If you are expected to build a trap and trap the animal to tame it, that is just ridiculous. You should be able to tame it in the wild. Dark and Light taming would be awesome to add IMO.

This!

On 1/21/2019 at 11:15 AM, Warspectre said:

I agree on the first part, the taming system in this game is nonsensical. That said, you can tame animals in the wild, though it's much easier with teamwork. I've solo tamed wolves, horses, and elephants though. Traps can make it easier, though, they don't even have to use exploits or glitches. 

Yes, the taming system needs to be reworked.  Completely.  First, it looks more like animal abuse than actual taming.  Hey, I know...put romancing in the game to procreate humans, and the male character has to take a club and knock out the female so he can drag her off to a cave...yeah that'll win her heart for sure.  Where's the facepalm emoji when you need it?

I didn't think taming could get any worse than ARK, but they have proven me wrong.  I have not met anyone who LIKES this process, other than that it takes less time than ARK.  Not enough to win me over.  The process is absurd.  It's unpredictable.  It's amazingly glitchy.  It's completely annoying. 

Taming needs to be more than some annoying mini game.  Build it on the imprinting code for babies in ARK.  At irregular intervals, the tame will act either very aggressive, or very docile and affectionate.  If it acts aggressive, you crack the whip at it.  Use the mini-game for reloading, water, etc..  If it takes more than three tries to hit the sweet spot, you lost some taming effectiveness.  You weren't intimidating enough.  Once you hit the sweet spot, the tame acts docile, and you can now feed it.  Viola...you just imprinted.  The higher level the tame, the more times you have to do this.  Eventually, the tame wants a hug, or to be petted, and it is now fully imprinted.  There's your mini-game, since some think everything has to have a mini-game, and it would feel more immersive, and more enjoyable than what we have now...which is utter garbage for a taming mechanic.

There should be more than one method that works for getting the taming process going, but for all of the aggressive tames, it should start with tranq'ing them.  Their waking up would start the process.  They can give us more sizes of that cage, to cover the different sizes of animals.  The largest tames, Giraffes and Elephant cage could have an open top.  The animal remains in the cage until fully tamed, and is fed through the cage.  Each tier you spec into gives the ability to make the appropriate cage.  You should be able to transport tames back to your ship, keeping the tame tranq'd until you have it at your base, where you can now allow it to wake up to start the taming process.  Or, you can tame it where it is at.  With present taming speeds, maybe no option to take the tame home would be needed.  I like the option of transporting a tranq'd animal to the ship where it is kept tranq'd until you get it to your base, where you then cage it and tame it, after it wakes up.  Maybe lower level tames you would risk doing in the wild, but since higher levels take more time, you would want to move it to your ship.  Wouldn't be anymore more ridiculous than an elephant on a sloop.  This could actually open up trading of animals.  You capture it, but don't tame it so that somebody else can tame it, and imprint it.  But then, there would need to be some imprinting boost for taming the creature...just not as high as babies get.  Maybe half.

• Like 1

Trying to be different, that's how. 

Can't make an Ark reskin so lets reinvent a system that actually works well that hundreds of thousands of players have enjoyed for years. #Logic 

13 hours ago, Dexter said:

Can't make an Ark reskin so lets reinvent a system that actually works well that hundreds of thousands of players have enjoyed for years. #Logic 

😞

It seems they have plenty of world builders, but bugger all gameplay designers at Grapecard / Wildshot.

19 hours ago, Dexter said:

Yes, Ark's taming worked, but I never felt the process itself was all that enjoyable.  I would say it was functional.  I actually enjoy the taming mechanic more in Atlas, or I did until they decided to make changes.  

The Atlas devs have a very unrealistic idea of how their game should be played.  No, no one should be tried to tame a tiger, rhino, etc "in the wild" without a taming pen.  The Devs obvious don't play their own game.  (These days I don't even tame in Ark without building a temp pen).

Just an update, I did the Verify File Integrity thing through Steam last night and afterward, I was able to feed a horse from all the angles I used to be able to. I haven't had the time to attempt an elephant since then though so I can't say if everything is fixed yet. Anyone having this issue might give that a shot and see if it helps.