darcek

Vulture proof pen

Anyone got an idea maybe how I can keep vultures away from my tame in the pen?

Maybe a ceiling?

2 hours ago, darcek said:

Anyone got an idea maybe how I can keep vultures away from my tame in the pen?

Maybe a ceiling?

As long as you don't have any windows or any kind of open spaces really, otherwise they'll glitch inside. Or if the critter you're working on happens to have parts sticking out through the wall, or really if it's anywhere near a wall or ceiling the vultures can attack through it just like any other badly designed and implemented animal in this game. 

So you can, if timed correctly grapple the bird and this will temporarily ground it so that you can begin prepping it for a bola again.  This was a method a company member has been testing and it seems to work quite well allowing him to tame completely in the little wooden cages alone, so he can essentially tame wherever as long as he has a cage and a few grappling hooks/bola.

We live up in the tundra which has an abundance of wolves and vultures. Our primary taming pen, used for anything except elephants, is pretty simple. Standard 3x3 taming pen, small gate on one side, ramp on another side, and door frames on the other two. Then we added two rows of floors on the door frame sides and put five high walls on the outside of them. Put another gate in front of the ramp, and layered a ceiling over the whole thing.

• Like 2

There is no way.

My "base" is a 2x3 minimalist with double thick wall and slanted ceiling in-between all the way around.  I logged into a lvl 28 wolf eating my face inside my locked base.  I play solo so naturally after dealing with the wolf I looked for a huge hole from being offline raided.  Nope, every wall is at 100%.

To tame on a high-vulture-spawn island, you really need the whole taming pen completely enclosed.  We tried just ceilings and lost multiple tames until we built the fully enclosed pen described above.  It's also very nice to feel safe while taming so you can just concentrate on the job at hand, and there is room for a box with extra bolas or food.

• Like 2

our taming pen is amazing. If you're building it completely enclosed i recommend making the outside of pen part 3 wide as it can be harder to maneuver without getting hit sometimes. We have a top floor and bottom around the edges so we can a high ground person on damage and a low on bolas. There's a bed and extra things in a chest just in case...

CloWandering designed it and i love taming in it!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vaenix said:

So you can, if timed correctly grapple the bird and this will temporarily ground it so that you can begin prepping it for a bola again.  This was a method a company member has been testing and it seems to work quite well allowing him to tame completely in the little wooden cages alone, so he can essentially tame wherever as long as he has a cage and a few grappling hooks/bola.

Can you clarify what you are talking about here. I assume by cage, you mean the cage you can craft, and not a pen you make out of doorways, floors, and fence foundations, and other building parts. I'd always assumed the only purpose for the cage was PvP for putting a player in the cage.

So are you using the cage to tame a vulture, or something else?

How can you put a large animal in the small cage? You can't shoot or damage a wolf for instance in a cage can you? I'd like to see a video of someone using the cage to tame.

Just now, wildbill said:

Can you clarify what you are talking about here. I assume by cage, you mean the cage you can craft, and not a pen you make out of doorways, floors, and fence foundations, and other building parts. I'd always assumed the only purpose for the cage was PvP for putting a player in the cage.

So are you using the cage to tame a vulture, or something else?

How can you put a large animal in the small cage? You can't shoot or damage a wolf for instance in a cage can you? I'd like to see a video of someone using the cage to tame.

Not a large animal, this is specifically for birds and birds alone.  So the method is you grapple the bird, this grounds them so they cannot fly.  Once you have them bola'd you can also place the cage down and keep them there, every time it goes to get back up you grapple it again, grounding it and then damage it just enough to bola again so you can continue taming.  Anything other than a bird and yeah your gonna need a real taming pen.  I've yet to try the method myself but this was what was explained to me as I watched him tame a crow in the tundra last night while I was taming a bear.

1 minute ago, Vaenix said:

Not a large animal, this is specifically for birds and birds alone.  So the method is you grapple the bird, this grounds them so they cannot fly.  Once you have them bola'd you can also place the cage down and keep them there, every time it goes to get back up you grapple it again, grounding it and then damage it just enough to bola again so you can continue taming.  Anything other than a bird and yeah your gonna need a real taming pen.  I've yet to try the method myself but this was what was explained to me as I watched him tame a crow in the tundra last night while I was taming a bear.

Ah, I was thinking just birds. I keep my chickens in a cage. I made one just to see what it looked like. Couldn't think of any use for it, so put my chicken in it 🙂

Just now, wildbill said:

Ah, I was thinking just birds. I keep my chickens in a cage. I made one just to see what it looked like. Couldn't think of any use for it, so put my chicken in it 🙂

They really don't like staying in cages when on a boat lol.. I've had mine somehow glitch out every few minutes.  Otherwise we built a nice little hen house with them on a catwalk and food trough under em, saves space and makes eggs super easy to pick up.