Sign in to follow this  
McGimp

NPC crew

Are there any alternative means to acquiring npc crew, other than freeports and SoD? I'm trying to set up a solo schooner and havent a clue how i will be able to maintain npc crew over night. Maintaining for my play sessions shouldnt be an issue, but the over night thing is troubling. Having to hop to a freeport every time i log on to get new crew doesnt seem like a realistic play style.

As far as I know those are the only ways. What exactly are you finding troubling about the "overnight thing"?

10 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

As far as I know those are the only ways. What exactly are you finding troubling about the "overnight thing"?

Afaik, they consume gold even when offline. i dont think i could realistically keep up with even just crew members on the sails, if im spending 1g per crew an hour even while offline.

Edited by McGimp

Unfortunately they do but its not THAT much more expensive than buying a new crew every day (if idle they cost about 1g per hour and a half)... and you save the trip. Just throw some gold in a ship resource box to keep them paid and you'll be set. 

1 minute ago, McGimp said:

Afaik, they consume gold even when offline.

The gold consumption isn't really a problem, you can get more than enough to pay for a few crew with some low grade treasure. The problem is they find ways to get themselves killed.

I logged in one day to see that a Sloop had been sunk and the crew killed by a wolf. 

Get you a grappling hook and go flotsam hunting.   You should be able to make a decent amount of gold in short order.

cool ill do that, i was swimming to them up to this point. Hadnt even considered a grapple lol

4 hours ago, pyrate27 said:

The gold consumption isn't really a problem

It is for me and probably for many other. I solo man a schooner, i have 4 big cannons front and rear, 10 on sides, so that is 14 ai crew, if you really want to fit it well you could had a new raw of cannons on the deck and a couple more in front/rear, might be overkill but who care if the ship have the level and spent into more crew the game should let you do that. In any case even with the bare minimum that i have you'd need 500 gold a day. For one single ship and one of the smallest...

The thing is as it stand now the only way to get gold is treasures. But they nerfed fire arrow so you can't solo them anymore, i don't want to explain here but just go try and you'll see why. Crates give almost nothing, not even for your online spending, and this is for someone that fucking play everyday, almost all day. So logically you'll try to kill damned ships right, i mean you risk sinking your boat messing with them, well no, fuck you lol,  a damned ship give 10 gold... Nice game... Ho and by the way you need at least 20 large cannon balls to sink a green damn, so the fucking thing don't even drop something more valuable than those, it's just bad. Honestly i trow 99% of the recipes and song things anyway.

Edited by ExplodingYeti

Well these NPC suck, boxing for 7 damage (player 12 damage base) and with very low hit frequency.

Would not trust into them when beeing boarded😂

Edited by Talono

They are not there to fight your battles for you, over all.. just to support you?  Remember, there is a lot of room for changing in the game and time to do it, it is still early early.

If you have a good suggestion that would not aim at EZ mode play  and keep it as something you have to work for  some, Suggestion tab it is your friend. As far as loot boxes and stuff, those are easy to change what items drop, Again it is early early..  When there is more content to spread the wealth with and up the game, maybe there will be access to more items?  Again, Suggestion tab. lol   Just my opinion of course!

If you can not do the time, don't do the crime.. erm.. I mean, If you can not afford, collect enough gold to keep up your crew.. maybe you need to downgrade 😞  but, again. If it was super easy to get crew/gold .. then idk.. game goes directly to EZ mode.. and I for one would rather not see yet another EZ mode game its getting easier by the patch, as it is... lol   but, am biased there so don't mind me.

Well i gave my NPC crewmember order to attack a chicken level 5.... he really killed it after 13 minutes 😂😂😂

Wildcard... masters of balance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It might take some time to get situated, but if you do a map you'll have a couple hundred gold pretty easily. Just bring a pike and bum rush the archers when they spawn (they die in two hits) and then kite the melee guys with pistols.

DO NOT get hit by the big guy. First time I fought him I got 1 shot xD

Edit: Oh, you could also trade someone for gold. We've had a lot of luck trading.

Edited by Paradigm
  • Haha 1

I have a ship with a full-time crew of 11. 9 on guns 2 on sail. As you level your ship you can drive the crew payment way down. There are also a few skills to drive down crew payments. I currently pay under 3 gold per day (24H) each. Currently killing a few Sotd will cover that. So, yes you can keep a full time crew cheaper than buying new crew, but you may need to grind your ship killing Sotd for an hour or two to get to that rate. The ship can completely support the crew with maybe 30 minutes a day hunting. Just set a resource box below and put your looted gold in it. You must also feed them. Drop a lauder below deck and stock it with just about anything.

Crew on a unleveled ship will require somewhere around 1 gold every 2 hours. By the second day you could have that down to 1 gold every 9 hours. I have yet to lose a crew in any way other than the bug where they sometimes fly off to space when unseating them.

Above you see someone lost a crew to a wolf. That I'm guessing that is because he was parked very close to shore and on a small boat.

29 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

I have a ship with a full-time crew of 11. 9 on guns 2 on sail. As you level your ship you can drive the crew payment way down. There are also a few skills to drive down crew payments. I currently pay under 3 gold per day (24H) each. Currently killing a few Sotd will cover that. So, yes you can keep a full time crew cheaper than buying new crew, but you may need to grind your ship killing Sotd for an hour or two to get to that rate. The ship can completely support the crew with maybe 30 minutes a day hunting. Just set a resource box below and put your looted gold in it. You must also feed them. Drop a lauder below deck and stock it with just about anything.

Crew on a unleveled ship will require somewhere around 1 gold every 2 hours. By the second day you could have that down to 1 gold every 9 hours. I have yet to lose a crew in any way other than the bug where they sometimes fly off to space when unseating them.

Above you see someone lost a crew to a wolf. That I'm guessing that is because he was parked very close to shore and on a small boat.

you play pve and you don't care about your ship speed/weight right?

2 minutes ago, Arykos said:

you play pve and you don't care about your ship speed/weight right?

The example here was my farm schooner it's not fast. I have a speed brig focused on weight. I have a heavy mobile base brig that's all crew cost to keep the cost down.

50 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

The example here was my farm schooner it's not fast. I have a speed brig focused on weight. I have a heavy mobile base brig that's all crew cost to keep the cost down.

So you play pve yes?

It's not worth to skill your boat into that when you play on pvp servers, since u easly get hunted down if your shipweight is over 50%. So basicly u can't use your boat for transporting any kind of goods this way.

And for fighting it's also not clever to skill your boat like that as well.

So I don't get what this kind of ship stands for? You lower costs of a ship you can't even properly use. (atleast on pvp)

Think about it if you pay 30-40 gold more a day or not. Does it realy matter? You will have no problem keeping it up anyway even if you play solo