Sign in to follow this  
Vorxius

Was just about to make a glowing review...

then...

Last night sat down for a good bash, got a raft (after consecutively every day losing stuff)..  Finally got my stuff together and headed out on a raft.  Hauled up on land, couldn't find any non claimed lands.. so after exploring several islands, and encountering zero claim turf, it was late so went to bed.

Just hooked myself up with an Irish coffee, and decided to head out in search of more fresh pastures.  What happened?

Log in:  dead.  Oh ok nps.  Spawn on raft bed.  Spawned.  Holy goat there's 4 crocs a couple of wolves and some snakes camping me.  so immediate death (absolutely immediate)..  waited 1 minute, re-spawned in hopes I could at least leg it and draw the welcome party away.  No.  Spawn - dead.  Then I tried again.  Spawn - dead.  Gave it a few minutes.  Tried again, DEAD again, but this time, the welcome wagon took my bed.  So what happens now?  It's back to HOME region, with nothing, and back to thumping trees for wood.  This is a routine of gameplay now that is getting OLD.  Every time I play atlas I start from ZERO, from scratch.  The furthest I got once was metal tools, and now, back to thumping trees for a stone pick.

Excuse me whilst I refrain from writing a negative review, it'll would have been one of many reflective game experiences that players are having.  Why do I log on each and every time from scratch?  Probably because each time I kid myself that this time will be different.

My conclusion is the game is UNPLAYABLE.  Frustrating.  Fruitless and overwhelmingly aggravating.  Cudos for getting my £20 though.  At the moment I feel robbed of 5 starbucks coffees.  Thy'd probably be better for my blood pressure tbh.

Next time I log in to play, at least I have the assurance that I will be wasting several hours and have to restart from scratch again following logging off.  That I guess is one consistent thing Atlas has to offer.  No further emotions left to give.  Who am I kidding though.  This post'll will achieve less than a fart in a cat 5 hurricane...  or rather, achieve less than a 5 hour game session on Atlas.

/Vx

• Confused 1

You can easily steal land and throw down a 2x2 respawn hut, that's what we had to do n PvP and PvE. eventually managing to make friends of the people we stole from

To be honest I agree on the predators stuff being rediculous but not getting a foothold for at least a couple days on Lawless sounds like u have to get better a bit though. If u play PVP move to PVE at least to overcome the players just there to wreck your experience. Trees also don't need stumping no more there are little trees u can pick by hand for thatch and wood to make your pickaxe and progress from there. For me the last time I went back to freeport was cuz of the HUD not being there and switching servers was the only workaround if all else failed (until they patched it 2 hours later). But all I did there was make sure I was well fed, drank enough, got only a bed on my boat, left without food and bought the raft within the hour of doing all of the above. Getting back to my lawless island also didn't take that long cuz I knew the rout and after that I had two rafts at that island with a bed in case something happend to the first raft. But yesterday I left in a Schooner built thanks to the 2.5 resources u gained for 3 days and made it to an area outside newbie zones gonna try to find just a small patch of land to establish a base with my friends and see how we can progress from there. I agree the game is bad and alot of bugs ruin the experience but learn from those bad experiences if u continue to play, get multiple rafts and beds on location, establish a small base so u have a place to hide when predators come. Gather resources close to your base and only go out far when u aren't travelling with expensive items u can't afford to lose during a gank of wolves and lions or crocs and snakes. Don't build stuff on your boat where other players can put resources into like a smithy or loom on your rafts cuz griefers will just encumber it to sink your raft and ruin your gameplay. You can succeed but it's very harsh to start over so often, I had to do it too and I really hope this Schooner doesn't get destroyed due to a bug or not my fault but I fear it every minute I'm sailing it. Good luck!

Crocs are broken af right now, lvl 2 croc sank our schooner while it was parked off the coastline. Yeah a crocodile sank a ship... stupid.

This game is not PvE its EvP.

Edited by JasonYork
  • Like 1

Alrighty folks, I did heed some advice here and I have to say that my game has dramatically improved.  I decided to bite the big one and join a private server.  I must say, my experience has just improved 10 fold.  I dare say, I’m ‘almost’ enjoying things now!  Almost, due to having such a rough time lately, I take a while for blood pressure to calm.

I have land, I have an area to call home, I can build, explore…  I’m beginning to see what life in Atlas is like.  Not got to the ship part yet, but then, as an Ark player I do like my survival play, and, so far the mechanics haven’t unsatisfied me.

My valuable lesson is that whilst the game doesn’t fail me now, playing on an official server is not the ideal place to actually see the game for what it is.  Atlas feels like a ‘slow’ game, but when fast loss mechanics are in place the whole concept unravels. 

I can see why people are so angry.  Thankyou private servers.

Officials were meant for guild gameplay so that was most of your issue.  It's hard going, especially for not being there on day 1 release, for anyone solo or in a very small group.  AS for  your raft issue, that will happen on any server.  Park your raft farther away from land so most mobs ignore it.

Glad you found your niche though.  On ark a few friends and I who played got fed up with officials and I just went and made my own.  Have a good 3k hours on it at this point and it was a lot of fun even with all its whack ass bugs.  This time around we joined up with a big company that formed out of our previous alliances in Life is Feudal so we have the numbers to establish ourselves.  As someone else said though, you CAN make it as solo, you just have to contest someones land and hope they are gone, or entrench yourself into their friendship. 😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JasonYork said:

Crocs are broken af right now, lvl 2 croc sank our schooner while it was parked off the coastline. Yeah a crocodile sank a ship... stupid.

This game is not PvE its EvP.

Last night I saw a lvl 270 Alpha Snake attacking a fair-sized shipyard, doing 324 hp gamage every attack, and they attack FAST.  The shipyard was down 20,000 hp and was still losing hp because no-one from that company was online.  As I sailed off the snake was still going and had about 8 hours of night-time to keep going.  Wow.  Jut wow.

• Sad 1