Sign in to follow this  
Robotukas

Map is too small for 40k players

12 minutes ago, wakko151 said:

so you failed and now you wish for my failure as well?

I cant wait to see your change of tactics and learn from it master!

1 hour ago, wakko151 said:

Its not too small. You need to join a company. This is not a solo or small group kinda game. If you are failing or not getting the results you would like, switch tactics.

44 minutes ago, SoloHan88 said:

Then this isn't the game for you. You're thinking it's something that it's not.

Pffffft.   It's not up to you guys to say  what kind of game this is, who it's for or how it has to be played.    Let the devs say that.  Once they do, maybe some of us will decide it isn't the game for us after all.  Or maybe not.    Try saying "I HOPE this is not a solo or small group game" instead of pretending you have some secret access to the design spec (if there even is one), because we all know that's what you really mean.

6 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Pffffft.   It's not up to you guys to say  what kind of game this is, who it's for or how it has to be played.    Let the devs say that.  Once they do, maybe some of us will decide it isn't the game for us after all.  Or maybe not.    Try saying "I HOPE this is not a solo or small group game" instead of pretending you have some secret access to the design spec (if there even is one), because we all know that's what you really mean.

I never said what type of game it was. Just that you think its something it's not.

All this bullshit about the fact that this is not made for solo/casual players.... why would you even need AI crew if that is the case?

If you absolutely want to be a solo player AND have a base/ territory. You should probably play on PvE once they get things figured out over there.

If you want to have territory and pvp, you probably shouldn't be a solo player.

Finally,  if you want to play pvp and be a solo player you probably won't get to claim territory. (This isn't to say you can't build in lawless zones).

Other than going to an unofficial server I don't think you can get all 3.

39 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

well there's always the small tribes mode that was in ark, maybe it will get implemented eventually. However, this is currently the early phase of an early access game and this mode will be the official mode of Atlas.

This problem has been in Ark, maybe just join a 10 man unofficial server, if you don't like the way official servers are playing.

lol @ the PVE suggestion. Cause now you have massive over weighted fleets ramming peeps stuff even on PVE. Fun huh. yup.

I like groups in about 4-10. NPCs work great in that range. If I wanted to play solo or SP, I'd just get my own server and camp out.

its not the map size.

The claim system its the problem.

At the moment its so the map its claimed from first days where was easy to mass claimed.

The Game needs more Stratetical Claimplacements with a low amount of claims.

To claim a complette entire island (not a small or a tiny one)  must be a process over weeks

53 minutes ago, DOA said:

lol @ the PVE suggestion. Cause now you have massive over weighted fleets ramming peeps stuff even on PVE. Fun huh. yup.

I like groups in about 4-10. NPCs work great in that range. If I wanted to play solo or SP, I'd just get my own server and camp out.

Yeah... that's why I added the caveat about getting stuff fixed...

Although,  as a side note 4-10 people is actually a decent sized group... I was picturing you saying small group = 2-3.

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

Yeah the argument over small tribe big tribe type of game is pretty mute. 

The one thing we do know is that it is a 💩 game. 

The rest we will have to find out later

2 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

To be clear, I am basing my personal opinion off of decades of playing survival/sandbox games. You are discrediting my opinion because you don't agree with it. This is the game. Insulting me won't change that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Yes, while it takes a very long time for you to explore the whole map, that doesn't change the overcrowding aspect.  It's like a chess board, and every black space is a spawn location, and every white is an area to settle in.  Yes, while YOU only spawn in one of them, and it takes you forever to travel to all the squares, the fact remains that people are in all of them.  And they are crowded.  Go to any Lawless Island, and you will see drydock after drydock.    But this is just scratching the surface of the problems.  Let me address the most pressing.  If it is so easy to sink something like a Brigantine, than it better be just as easy and fast to build one.  How long would you keep playing if it takes you many days to build a ship, but it gets blown out of the water the day you launch it, and sometimes you don't even get that far...it gets destroyed in drydock.  You won't do that more than 2 or 3 times before you quit.

I'm well aware of the overcrowding.  We've bounced around several lawless regions just to be able to find a spot to put a shipyard in.  We finally got a sloop built and he new Ships of the Damned sank it before we even launched it out of the drydock. 

Maybe we're arguing semantics a little bit.  My argument that the size of the world seems about right.  The amount of land within the world seems small.  It seems like this world is also about 80% Ocean.  There are certain areas you can go a long way before spotting land again.  Again, there has to be some balance.  There should not be so much land that you can just swim from every island to every island either.  Some of the grid squares just don't have much land in them.  Then factor in that much of the land is near useless because it's missing critical resources to make living there possible.

I think the Lawless regions were an afterthought, but starter areas with no wood are completely pointless in a game where the entire concept is based on wooden ships.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dasenthal said:

If you absolutely want to be a solo player AND have a base/ territory. You should probably play on PvE once they get things figured out over there.

If you want to have territory and pvp, you probably shouldn't be a solo player.

Finally,  if you want to play pvp and be a solo player you probably won't get to claim territory. (This isn't to say you can't build in lawless zones).

Other than going to an unofficial server I don't think you can get all 3.

For my part, I WAS talking about the pve server.    The way things work right now, there's not much chance of it working for solo/small crews.  You say "once they get it figured out",  but this is us helping them figure it out, if you know what I mean.  The devs don't seem aware that claiming and being able to destroy other player's stuff is a problem in the pve server.  At least they haven't said so, and seem to be saying the opposite.  They haven't even acknowledged the problems in any way that makes sense.

They really need to come out and post how they want this to work on the pve servers,  so people can decide if they want to play the game and how they want to play it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Caveat said:

I'm well aware of the overcrowding.  We've bounced around several lawless regions just to be able to find a spot to put a shipyard in.  We finally got a sloop built and he new Ships of the Damned sank it before we even launched it out of the drydock. 

Maybe we're arguing semantics a little bit.  My argument that the size of the world seems about right.  The amount of land within the world seems small.  It seems like this world is also about 80% Ocean.  There are certain areas you can go a long way before spotting land again.  Again, there has to be some balance.  There should not be so much land that you can just swim from every island to every island either.  Some of the grid squares just don't have much land in them.  Then factor in that much of the land is near useless because it's missing critical resources to make living there possible.

I think the Lawless regions were an afterthought, but starter areas with no wood are completely pointless in a game where the entire concept is based on wooden ships.

I agree.  A simple fix would be to revisit some of those islands, and add to them.  Make sure everything that is needed, is there.  But this is just scratching the surface.  I have seen just how easy it is to wreck people in this game.  There is too much ARK thinking here, but things you need to have a chance of defending yourself, just aren't there.  For instance, you need cannons and NPCs to act as your ARK turrets.  But look how long it can take to just get cannon, and then you need ships to go looking for gold.  Skills to aid in finding that gold, etc...

They really need to get away from their ARK thinking.  This is not ARK.  This is all about the ships, and exploring.  So you need ships.  First order of business is that they need to learn that ships need a safe harbor.  Totally different than ARK official.  More like unofficial with ORP...Offline Raid Protection.  And those Shipyards????  OMG, nothing screams, HERE I AM, COME BLOW ME UP, like those things.  Sure, right now they work, but what about when some Alpha Tribes have a fleet of Galleons, and they decide that not allowing others to have them, is in their best interests?  How long will people play when they log off, only to come back and find their 85% complete Galleon has been destroyed...again, and again and again?  I am thinking they will end up having to make the shipyard, and the ship inside of it, invulnerable.  That, or they are going to have to institute some system that awards good points for things like doing trade, and bad points for doing lawless actions.  The idea is to allow a little bit of lawless stuff, but if you do too much in a short period of time, you become a target for a Royal Navy, that hunts you down and sinks your ships.  Also, large rewards would be offered by the system for those who will battle you.  In other words, a sufficient reward that would cause alliances to be formed, to go after that reward.  On the posted reward, would be the location of the Outlaw's bases...all of them.

So Companies would have to moderate their lawless activities.  You would not know for sure how close you are to being labeled as most wanted outlaws, so you would always have to keep it in mind that a lawless action could be the one that causes it to happen.