Jump to content

Gemini Five

Long sea trips - Need fast travel

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

it is a Pirate game

I was reading all this about it's a pirate game and it just hit me... I've been here since day one (on my  pve server) and I can't recall ever seeing a pirate. Are we calling the SOD pirates?

Yes I did hear something about the new pirate camps. Maybe I should go check them out when I get enough time to sail that far.

edit: I don't think that was Boomer's quote. I think I quoted the person he was quoting.

Edited by Gemini Five

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gemini Five said:

I was reading all this about it's a pirate game and it just hit me... I've been here since day one (on my  pve server) and I can't recall ever seeing a pirate. Are we calling the SOD pirates?

Yes I did hear something about the new pirate camps. Maybe I should go check them out when I get enough time to sail that far.

edit: I don't think that was Boomer's quote. I think I quoted the person he was quoting.

Doesn't really matter who said it, but here is the first sentence from the paragraph on the Steam page that describes the game: "From the creators of ARK: Survival Evolved comes ATLAS -- the ultimate pirate experience!" It ends that paragraph with: "Become a pirate legend in this ultimate quest for fortune and glory!"
 

So the makers of Atlas say it is a pirate game. You kind of prove the point I was making, that Atlas is supposed to be a Pirate game, but it has yet to deliver fully on that promise (still in early access of course). I think the intent is that the players in the game are pirates, but also the SOD. When hire crew from shore or a SOD, you are hiring pirates.The hide outfits you learn also make the player look like a pirate. You can give your player a tattoo, which is a pirate thing. Now they have added pirate encampments. I've yet to see one, but apparently they are pretty buggy still.

As someone else pointed out, pirates don't normally fight other pirates, they fight other countries armies mostly. From the trailer release when the game was first released, it appeared like that would be a thing, but instead we have pirates (us) fighting pirates (NPCs) in PvE, and in PvP you can fight other players (pirates too). That is a whole different discussion.

This topic is about fast travel. On that topic, I wish that the ship travel would have been more like how you use a quetzal in ARK. When you are traveling somewhere to get resources in ARK with your quetzal, you travel above the danger in relative safety. You can go down to the ground and engage various threats when you want. Also when you land you deal with creatures on the ground. Travel is quick (less than 15 minutes). You can land pretty much within a minute at relatively safe locations pretty much anytime you desire. In PvE, your quetzal dominates the skies (at least for the Island map). That is what I would have liked sailing to be like. I know that most people don't agree, but possibly most of the PvE crowd might prefer this.

Edited by wildbill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 12:42 PM, wildbill said:

Doesn't really matter who said it, but here is the first sentence from the paragraph on the Steam page that describes the game: "From the creators of ARK: Survival Evolved comes ATLAS -- the ultimate pirate experience!" It ends that paragraph with: "Become a pirate legend in this ultimate quest for fortune and glory!"
 

So the makers of Atlas say it is a pirate game. You kind of prove the point I was making, that Atlas is supposed to be a Pirate game, but it has yet to deliver fully on that promise (still in early access of course). I think the intent is that the players in the game are pirates, but also the SOD. When hire crew from shore or a SOD, you are hiring pirates.The hide outfits you learn also make the player look like a pirate. You can give your player a tattoo, which is a pirate thing. Now they have added pirate encampments. I've yet to see one, but apparently they are pretty buggy still.

As someone else pointed out, pirates don't normally fight other pirates, they fight other countries armies mostly. From the trailer release when the game was first released, it appeared like that would be a thing, but instead we have pirates (us) fighting pirates (NPCs) in PvE, and in PvP you can fight other players (pirates too). That is a whole different discussion.

This topic is about fast travel. On that topic, I wish that the ship travel would have been more like how you use a quetzal in ARK. When you are traveling somewhere to get resources in ARK with your quetzal, you travel above the danger in relative safety. You can go down to the ground and engage various threats when you want. Also when you land you deal with creatures on the ground. Travel is quick (less than 15 minutes). You can land pretty much within a minute at relatively safe locations pretty much anytime you desire. In PvE, your quetzal dominates the skies (at least for the Island map). That is what I would have liked sailing to be like. I know that most people don't agree, but possibly most of the PvE crowd might prefer this.

Again, the objection I have to fast travel is that if the game is marketed as being pirate oriented, and I agree that for a game we are told is the ultimate pirate experience, there is actually no opportunity to engage in piracy (look up the definition of piracy, it involves hijacking of commercial shipping by force over water), then sailing would be a core activity of such a game. If the game is doing poorly and large chunks of the playerbase are complaining that sailing is boring, the solution is not to create a workaround which short circuits a core activity, but to improve your content in ways that makes that core activity more appealing. 

The reason why I don't think fast travel is a good idea for Atlas even if that is accomplished is a phenomenon common to gaming and gamers which developers are aware of, but that gamers themselves tend to be extremely poor at perceiving. Many gamers, when confronted with an aspect of a game they find too challenging, boring, or taking up too much time, loudly call for changes to alter the experience to tone down the challenge, shorten the time investment etc etc. They most often fail to realize this has the consequence of accelerating their journey to complete boredom with the game. Especially with the MMO genre, it has been proven time and again that no development team, not even the well funded behemoth at Blizzard, can produce content faster than most gamers can comsume it. This means that time sinks and higher levels of challenge difficulty are necessary for the long term viability of any MMO. For Atlas, that would be allowing fast travel. Letting players zip back and forth across the map would only accelerate the speed with which they reached a point their boredom with the game could not be reversed, and this is assuming the present lack of meaningful content were actually eliminated, which it has by no means been.

Let me be clear, this isn't me saying "you can't have fast travel because if you do you'll suddenly be more likely to notice they haven't put much actual content in." this is me saying "Look, even IF they put in a bunch of meaningful content, allowing fast travel would inevitably lead to a large percentage of the playerbase just becoming bored with a game they might otherwise enjoy." The random encounter you never expected while moving from point A to point B can often be some of the most memorable and rewarding gaming experiences most players have in an MMO, and while fast travel looks appealing, in the end the cost of the conveniance it offers is acceleration towards tedium.

This game desperately needs to make sailing less boring because sailing is the very thing you should expect to be doing most of the time in a pirate game, not riding a bear or an elephant around while you build a base and attempt to breed veliceraptors under another name. Spare me the argument it's pirate/fantasy, yes that is a loophole that lets you shoehorn other things in, but if you don't think the majority of your prospective players are here primarily for the pirate experience, you haven't been paying attention the past year. The game is failing because you aren't providing that experience, and the one you are providing isn't at it's core holding people's interest.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

boomer, well said.

this is why i believe the best course of action is to REMOVE 90% of tames and 80% of land.

i think you will find that if land and food become precious commodities worth fighting over, then the game will transform into something truly special.

i believe this game is the perfect example of "less is more".

Think of how many diaries, books, and letters from sailors expressed a desire to flee overcrowded colonies and seek freedom on the high seas. freedom wasnt colonizing new lands, freedom to them was simply getting away from overpopulation for a few weeks/months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they could use the land for more buried treasures and add the pirate encampments to them. I don't know why they have multicoloured ships of the dammed, not a fan of them to be honest. Why can't we have the real ships that we currently make? Add them into the game the same way ship of the dammed are now, put NPC on them that fight back and make it so we can board those ships to take anything they have on them.

I'd much rather they changed from companies to factions though, that would make it easier to help out others and make pvp and pve in the 1 server, each faction has their own place on the map where you start out.

The freeports could be used for all faction members to meet up and if they had events on they could have the festival atmosphere like they show in their videos that was supposed to be in from the start or so we thought.

So many ideas they could come up with for this game but they don't seem to listen to the way the community wants it to go, it's their way or the highway and many chose the highway, it's about time they learn from their mistakes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 1:25 PM, wildbill said:

Ya, the game has nothing to do what a real pirate to do, I only said that because boomer brought up it up. But still, you can't avoid some comparison when the game has pirates in it, but that is not of course all the game is about. It also has sailing ships too, but that doesn't mean the ships should actually act like the real thing. When I went sailing on my boat it would take me eight hours or more to get where I was going. Nobody wants that here either (I hope). Yes, I do like the sailing too, just not how long it takes. I like to play games with my wife. She will not play Atlas at all with me after she tried it for a bit. She spends half her time on the ship just watching for SOD and then me steering around them most of the time. Extremely boring for her. She likes to kill stuff. The game could use more of that and less of sailing.

My actual biggest gripe with the sailing is that you can not pause the game or log off while you are sailing if suddenly something in real life comes up (and it does). I'm now playing single player only, since I think I'll be able to log off on the ship, although I've yet to try that. I would like to play on servers, but with the current state of the game, that won't really be an option for me.

automated shipping and trade routes are the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DannyUK said:

I think they could use the land for more buried treasures and add the pirate encampments to them. I don't know why they have multicoloured ships of the dammed, not a fan of them to be honest. Why can't we have the real ships that we currently make? Add them into the game the same way ship of the dammed are now, put NPC on them that fight back and make it so we can board those ships to take anything they have on them.

I'd much rather they changed from companies to factions though, that would make it easier to help out others and make pvp and pve in the 1 server, each faction has their own place on the map where you start out.

The freeports could be used for all faction members to meet up and if they had events on they could have the festival atmosphere like they show in their videos that was supposed to be in from the start or so we thought.

So many ideas they could come up with for this game but they don't seem to listen to the way the community wants it to go, it's their way or the highway and many chose the highway, it's about time they learn from their mistakes.

I keep seeing this idea proposed of having a server with both PvP and PvE. I assume you are suggesting they add a new type of official server with this. Although I fail to see how PvP and PvE on one server isn't just a PvP server. All PvP players engage in PvE activities. When they make alliances and establish a safe area, maybe a whole island or grid of the server, they are essentially just playing PvE only in that area.

So what game has no separate PvE and PvP servers? Never seen this. Does it actually work? If it is such a good idea, where are the great examples of it?

Personally I only play PvP on games where you don't lose your ship/base (your main location where you log in / log off). I think if Atlas ever switched to only having this "combined" (PvP only) mode, they would lose over half the player base instantly (almost all of the PvE players). So what would be the point? PvE players aren't fodder for the PvP players if that is what you are thinking. They aren't slaves to them either. They aren't added content to keep the PvP players interested.

I've seen games with just PvP, but they are not sandbox style games. You don't play them for months collecting tames and building a huge base. One I played quite a long time ago was I think called Battlestar Gallactica. You would never lose your ship if you lost a battle, you just got moved back to the starting location. You never really lost anything, but you could gain stuff if you won. ARK is nothing like that and a PvE player would never want to play it in PvP mode.

Some of your ideas make sense for a PvP server. You might get more people to play PvP mode if the game had factions. Those players that play PvP in most games, but not Atlas might play.

Edited by wildbill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MOTIK said:

boomer, well said.

this is why i believe the best course of action is to REMOVE 90% of tames and 80% of land.

i think you will find that if land and food become precious commodities worth fighting over, then the game will transform into something truly special.

i believe this game is the perfect example of "less is more".

Think of how many diaries, books, and letters from sailors expressed a desire to flee overcrowded colonies and seek freedom on the high seas. freedom wasnt colonizing new lands, freedom to them was simply getting away from overpopulation for a few weeks/months.

I'd like to see a game like you describe, although Atlas is a long ways from being that game.

If they just removed 90% of the tames and 80% of the land and made no other changes, the game would be the mess we saw in the first few weeks of the game. Players plopped down claim flags on every claimable bit of land. You could sail for hours and never find a spot where you could place a flag.This is because when something is scarce, people horde it. It will not be a pretty site, not fun for you average player.

I had hoped the game would allow you to live on your ship and stay at sea for long periods. That game is not even close to what Atlas is. It would take years to transform the game into that, which I suppose is the reason they did not go that route. Instead they took what they had from ARK (and I think a ship mod) and made the best game they could. It seems obvious now, but I did expect more.

Now that they have picked this course of combing ARK with ships, fantasy stuff, and pirate aspects, they should probably stay on course and just keep improving it. It will never be what many were hoping for, but could eventually be a very good game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

automated shipping and trade routes are the answer.

I think that could be a fine addition to the game.

They made banks where you could place them near a resource and it would tax all that gathered the resources within the claim at that location. Instead of requiring others to harvest the resource and then taking part of their hard work, this could be adapted to have a new building with a few NPCs that harvest selected nearby resources and then ship them back to a home port (the automated shipping part). On the return trip, the home base would send food and gold for the NPCs to pay them for their work. This could be a "Trade Post".

This new way of getting resource would essentially remove the need for fast travel. You find the resource in your travels, then set up a trade post to gather them for you. You place a few NPCs there and then continue exploring to find more locations or head back to the home port. Other players could place trade posts in the same area. Each trade post would have a small no build area, limiting the total number of trade posts that could be placed.

I like the idea of trade routes too. A player could set these up from either their home port or the locations of their trade posts to exchange resource or gold with other players.

I assume this idea has been beaten to death, although I haven't read any of those posts.

An addition like this could work for single player too, you just wouldn't trade with other players. Possibly NPCs could be added that you trade with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you remove that much land though you will have nowhere to build at all as a new player, So where do you put the shipyards? you would need to live off of your ship and the only ship you could put all your resources on would be a galleon, so there exits your small company or solo player. Also in pvp you wouldn't stand a chance when you sign in for the first time. I'm not a massive fan of factions but I could see it working in atlas, for one thing you would automatically choose sides giving you a straight forward attack target and also you would have allies from the word go. And at least it would be like real pyrating and not just attacking each other for something to do.

Edited by Whitehawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whitehawk, we can already buy ships at freeports. remove the xp limit at freeports and it would be pretty easy for solo or small groups to get a sloop or schooner going. 

from there you can go exploring, join a company with some land, or start pirating just outside the freeport grids.

wildbill, you say it will take years to make that game but, i literally see it as two days deleting files and a couple months to balance could be a complete game. compared to the aimless steampunk spacesquid clusterfug path it is currently on.

i will admit to being salty about buying a pirate game and getting "barbie dollhouse: my little pony rancher" instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MOTIK said:

whitehawk, we can already buy ships at freeports. remove the xp limit at freeports and it would be pretty easy for solo or small groups to get a sloop or schooner going. 

from there you can go exploring, join a company with some land, or start pirating just outside the freeport grids.

wildbill, you say it will take years to make that game but, i literally see it as two days deleting files and a couple months to balance could be a complete game. compared to the aimless steampunk spacesquid clusterfug path it is currently on.

i will admit to being salty about buying a pirate game and getting "barbie dollhouse: my little pony rancher" instead

I'm salty too. I stuck with the game for maybe six months. Got tired of my wife complaining about the boring sea trips just to kill a few army of the dead for treasure maps. She loves to kill stuff, but there just isn't enough killing in this game to keep her happy :classic_biggrin:

When I did play with my wife, she would play with me maybe 1/4 of the time. I would tame up some bears. Make a good schooner or brig, collect a bunch of treasure maps and we would go out killing and collecting the treasure. This was about a year ago. Back then, the game was half fun, half frustration. If she logged out on the ship, sometimes I'd run into problems with that. We lost tames when loading onto ships (this is now fixed thankfully). We would find treasure, but find we couldn't get to it with our bears. My wife hates dying, so we would skip those maps. Occasionally an alpha would kill us. Then a server would shut down when everyone got bored with the game (we played the unofficial so the grind was less). Just seemed like there were better games for her to just be killing stuff :classic_biggrin:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, wildbill said:

I keep seeing this idea proposed of having a server with both PvP and PvE. I assume you are suggesting they add a new type of official server with this. Although I fail to see how PvP and PvE on one server isn't just a PvP server. All PvP players engage in PvE activities. When they make alliances and establish a safe area, maybe a whole island or grid of the server, they are essentially just playing PvE only in that area.

So what game has no separate PvE and PvP servers? Never seen this. Does it actually work? If it is such a good idea, where are the great examples of it?

Personally I only play PvP on games where you don't lose your ship/base (your main location where you log in / log off). I think if Atlas ever switched to only having this "combined" (PvP only) mode, they would lose over half the player base instantly (almost all of the PvE players). So what would be the point? PvE players aren't fodder for the PvP players if that is what you are thinking. They aren't slaves to them either. They aren't added content to keep the PvP players interested.

I've seen games with just PvP, but they are not sandbox style games. You don't play them for months collecting tames and building a huge base. One I played quite a long time ago was I think called Battlestar Gallactica. You would never lose your ship if you lost a battle, you just got moved back to the starting location. You never really lost anything, but you could gain stuff if you won. ARK is nothing like that and a PvE player would never want to play it in PvP mode.

Some of your ideas make sense for a PvP server. You might get more people to play PvP mode if the game had factions. Those players that play PvP in most games, but not Atlas might play.

Well I wouldn't mind them replacing it with the current official server, adding a new one would split the numbers again but maybe to try it out initially yes. Well certain areas of the map could be made for PvE and any PvP player coming into those areas will not be able to destroy or kill. You stray out of the faction zone though and you are at risk of being killed but being in a faction you all help each other maybe for a common goal of some kind? Maybe each faction works towards something to get people working together like this? Just ideas.

From what they are saying I don't think we are going to be building much on land in the future anyway, not sure about the tames. I think they've said already they want us more at sea than on land so why not just use the land to make more quests and more buried treasures if they want us at sea?

I only play PvE, i've never played PvP in this game but I'm not against having us all in the 1 server if you are protected in parts of it. I like the idea of the risk when venturing outside of the faction area.

I don't know what the numbers are like now in this game but they were losing many players, something has to change in the game because coming back after wipe all the time is not going to cut it I'm afraid. They want the numbers back they will need to do something to turn the game around. I remember when it came out there was so many players online you couldn't get on the server at times.  They wanted 40k players online they had said, won't get anywhere near it in the current state.

There was a mod called Breaking Point for Arma 3 which had factions, I know it has nothing in common with this game but it did have different factions and each faction had their own specialities and you choose from the start which faction you would like to join. Maybe they could have different specialities in this game related to pirate themed? I don't think it will change personally but I was just throwing ideas out there like others have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 8:46 AM, boomervoncannon said:

Again, the objection I have to fast travel is that if the game is marketed as being pirate oriented, and I agree that for a game we are told is the ultimate pirate experience, there is actually no opportunity to engage in piracy (look up the definition of piracy, it involves hijacking of commercial shipping by force over water), then sailing would be a core activity of such a game. If the game is doing poorly and large chunks of the playerbase are complaining that sailing is boring, the solution is not to create a workaround which short circuits a core activity, but to improve your content in ways that makes that core activity more appealing. 

The reason why I don't think fast travel is a good idea for Atlas even if that is accomplished is a phenomenon common to gaming and gamers which developers are aware of, but that gamers themselves tend to be extremely poor at perceiving. Many gamers, when confronted with an aspect of a game they find too challenging, boring, or taking up too much time, loudly call for changes to alter the experience to tone down the challenge, shorten the time investment etc etc. They most often fail to realize this has the consequence of accelerating their journey to complete boredom with the game. Especially with the MMO genre, it has been proven time and again that no development team, not even the well funded behemoth at Blizzard, can produce content faster than most gamers can comsume it. This means that time sinks and higher levels of challenge difficulty are necessary for the long term viability of any MMO. For Atlas, that would be allowing fast travel. Letting players zip back and forth across the map would only accelerate the speed with which they reached a point their boredom with the game could not be reversed, and this is assuming the present lack of meaningful content were actually eliminated, which it has by no means been.

Let me be clear, this isn't me saying "you can't have fast travel because if you do you'll suddenly be more likely to notice they haven't put much actual content in." this is me saying "Look, even IF they put in a bunch of meaningful content, allowing fast travel would inevitably lead to a large percentage of the playerbase just becoming bored with a game they might otherwise enjoy." The random encounter you never expected while moving from point A to point B can often be some of the most memorable and rewarding gaming experiences most players have in an MMO, and while fast travel looks appealing, in the end the cost of the conveniance it offers is acceleration towards tedium.

This game desperately needs to make sailing less boring because sailing is the very thing you should expect to be doing most of the time in a pirate game, not riding a bear or an elephant around while you build a base and attempt to breed veliceraptors under another name. Spare me the argument it's pirate/fantasy, yes that is a loophole that lets you shoehorn other things in, but if you don't think the majority of your prospective players are here primarily for the pirate experience, you haven't been paying attention the past year. The game is failing because you aren't providing that experience, and the one you are providing isn't at it's core holding people's interest.

It's well understood in the gaming world that developers want their content to last but you can only extent the length of that content to a point equal to its entertainment value. Try to extend it past that point and people get bored, then move on.

Yes, making sailing more entertaining would help. They still need to take into account that many just don't have the time and don't want to waste what gaming time they have, on a long trip. This leaves you boxed in without the content only that trip offers or taking that long trip you really don't want to take.

Just as with the XP nerf for killing land animals. It's become unrewarding and you can't level by it. They want you to play the way they want you to, so they made other ways less rewarding. I question the logic of it. I've seen my Atlas time drop by 2/3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet again, after I jumped back... all was fine until my first far travel.

3 hours 20 minutes to my first treasure destination (from M3 to E10). I failed there. I lost all my tames (sometimes sh...t happens). And then... I'm going back, 3 more hours of saling. So it's around 6 hours of game. With no rewarding (but yet - loosing) experience, and mostly 6 hours of emptiness for nothing.

I just realized why I left the game back then in April.

I mean... It would be fine if I sail for 1 hour, lost all and within next hour was back to base. But 6 hours are just way too long. So I guess I'm out again, and back here for news from time to time.

My opinion is the same. No fast travels. But map should be shorten at least twice.

rtu7bXU.jpg

EKBZqkB.jpg

Edited by George Catcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Motik, a schooner isn't big enough to live from, if you put all your crafting benches etc on it you wouldn't be able to move. even a brig is barely big enough and still retain a good sail speed. And I recently built a galleon solo and it's taking forever. Also my point is if you get rid of too much land there will be nowhere to put the shipyards. And games like this where you cant build get boring very fast.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i managed to put all crafting stations on a schooner plus two bears and a rhino and we still had room for 3 crew cabins....

so im gonna call bullshit or "get gud" hahaha

why do you NEED land for shipyards? if you could buy schooner, brig, galleon from freeport then you only need shipyards for increasing quality (mythic) which SHOULD be restricted to large companies and NOT a solo venture. my opinion.

*edit it is an mmo not an ark 20 player server or a single player game. i dont think every special snowflake should have their own island to build barbie dollhouses. i keep saying this and people dont get it. THERE ARE DOZENS of barbie dollhouse games. we need a sailing / shipbuilding focused game. if u want to puke barbie dollhouses all over people go play ark, minecraft, conan, fortnite, 7days, empyrion, avorion or one of the other hundreds of builder games.

**if you need / want help designing efficient ships with space to move around i can try to find some pictures of our last builds

Edited by MOTIK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I'm gonna call bs on your schooner claim, and i've built a lot of them since atlas release. Forge, tannery, all crafting benches plus cannons and crew and you claim you still sail fast enough? bs. And it seems to be only you with the barbie fetish, why don't you play sea of thieves? or naval action if you want to sail and battle only with no building? btw i'm not unreasonable so if you post a vid of a schooner fully laden with every game resource and cannons and crew fighting the sotd i'll concede on the bs accusation. Looking forward to it. And believe it or not some of us enjoy building and designing our own ships, not just buying them ready made.

Edited by Whitehawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MOTIK said:

i managed to put all crafting stations on a schooner plus two bears and a rhino and we still had room for 3 crew cabins....

so im gonna call bullshit or "get gud" hahaha

why do you NEED land for shipyards? if you could buy schooner, brig, galleon from freeport then you only need shipyards for increasing quality (mythic) which SHOULD be restricted to large companies and NOT a solo venture. my opinion.

*edit it is an mmo not an ark 20 player server or a single player game. i dont think every special snowflake should have their own island to build barbie dollhouses. i keep saying this and people dont get it. THERE ARE DOZENS of barbie dollhouse games. we need a sailing / shipbuilding focused game. if u want to puke barbie dollhouses all over people go play ark, minecraft, conan, fortnite, 7days, empyrion, avorion or one of the other hundreds of builder games.

**if you need / want help designing efficient ships with space to move around i can try to find some pictures of our last builds

Just built a schooner. I put everything on it that would fit easily. Loading an elephant, some supplies. It was about half the weight (this is a modded ship, so would be more for a regular). I went out and collected a few resources. Adding just 1k more weight noticeably slowed the ship. Ya, you really can't use a schooner as a base because it just slows down if you add anything more to it when you are out exploring. I love the schooner for treasure hunting though, since it can get into all the harbors and most shallow areas. The Brig can't do that.

Also Atlas is not just an mmo. The official servers are what some would describe as an mmo, but not like most, but the game also has other modes you can play it in. I can play single player. If I want someone to join me on an adventure in my single player, I can launch it as non-dedicated. I personally only play the single player mode and think it is an important addition to the game. Until the game is out of Early Access, it is the only way I'll be playing. I'm waiting to see if the game becomes something I'd play on a server (my preferred way to play games). If it never meets my expectations, I'll never play anything but single player from now on.

If Atlas is ever changed to be more like a typical mmo (player is not in game when you are offline, etc.), I'd play the mmo version. Right now, I don't consider Atlas to be an mmo, more like they found a clever way to extend a low population server game to have many more players, but in the process did not add any of the typical mmo features.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Whitehawk 
**NOT MY BUILDS**
couldn't find the video of my last schooner build (i probably deleted it).
here are some examples that 10 minutes of playing google / youtube yielded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sT5rVZMDzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vOn0T7RG_w

firespark is awesome. if you clear out the space below the aft gun castle you can have a 3x4 area that will hold a rhino and bears. all the crafting stations can be arranged to fit in a 2x2 (behind the rear mast and under the ships wheel) except tailor / forge / tannery. if you place the masts forward and build a half wall step up you can easily house a forge and tailor forward and port side (if you place it central the diving platform glitches out).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0KHp-mL_yQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEnSIJdXDFY

this next build i don't really like but you can easily drop a forge in the aft area and forward of the guns you could put most of the crafting stations. (no room for animals and gun ports on a exploration / base schooner are not efficient)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhPGJY5HA4

2 balista aft can easily kill the big whales. 
we killed a lvl 52 sotd galleon with 4 well placed journeyman ship cannons in a rear gun castle. i won't lie. it was tough and took a few tries. we did it though and i'm sure others could do better. we were laughing, half drunk/stoned, and having fun.
next content update (next summer?) i will re-install and make some guides. i'm not sure why so many people like you struggle with simple tasks. it really isn't that hard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wildbill yeah, it for sure slows down. if people are trying to solo companies with several mythic galleons in pvp using an exploration / base schooner that's just dumb. i can't fix dumb.
elephants are a bit much weight for schooners but, if you are just an exploration / whale / sotd / base schooner u don't need elephants and you can put all points into weight and be plenty fast. again, if you are trying to farm lvl 50 sotd and whales in a level 1 base schooner that is again just dumb.

i'm not sure what people expect. there is no game you can walk out the door with level one newb gear and solo end game content.


yes, i agree with you. there are other modes to play. i'm not really commenting on single player and private servers though. there are way too many variables and custom options server owners can tinker to really have a rational discussion about gameplay.

again i agree. offline griefing is brutal in an mmo. there needs to be safe havens / hubs / towns in any mode pve or pvp.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeh but that guy uses mods and he doesn't always mention it. Besides it's the weight problem, once you go over half the ships weight your speed severely drops. In pve that's not much of an issue but in pvp it's a big problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×