Sign in to follow this  
[GP] Guybrush Threepwood

12 day holiday....

Well, that didn't take much time to figure out how to exploit that mechanism. I can't see how making land structures indestructible changes that? Doesn't that just remove the need for a mechanism, really?

17 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

Well, that didn't take much time to figure out how to exploit that mechanism. I can't see how making land structures indestructible changes that? Doesn't that just remove the need for a mechanism, really?

No because you still need to define land ownership for other purposes like placement, otherwise you get lawless, with some chucklehead buiilding his base as a guesthouse right up against your back door.

• Haha 1

This thread made me into a chucklehead, hehe. I'm not sure if quite have everything right here. The token provides a claim, and within this claim there may (or, may not) be indestructible buildings. Nothing has a timer however, which is the important part. It's possible to place upkeep to extend your claim. The claim is what defines land ownership, otherwise we got cute guest houses.

If I had indestructible buildings, and didn't own a claim, what happens? I need to own a claim to build, or my buildings are not indestructible, and also to get the benefit of the token claim system?

Edited by eeeceee

43 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

This thread made me into a chucklehead, hehe. I'm not sure if quite have everything right here. The token provides a claim, and within this claim there may (or, may not) be indestructible buildings. Nothing has a timer however, which is the important part. It's possible to place upkeep to extend your claim. The claim is what defines land ownership, otherwise we got cute guest houses.

If I had indestructible buildings, and didn't own a claim, what happens? I need to own a claim to build, or my buildings are not indestructible, and also to get the benefit of the token claim system?

I would ultimately refer you to Sulfur because I've never played Wurm so I can't speak to the system with authority, but as he's describing here, and using some experience based common sense, I'm guessing you must have a claim to build structures. In Wurm I don't think the structures are industructible until you get raided once, and then they gain protection for a period of time based on how much you had in your upkeep, which the first raider got a portion of. So I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to own indestructible buildings without a claim. 

What I really like about this system is it's flexibility for the player. The core problem that exists in Atlas which Guybrush's post highlights is the problem of EU solo players or family only companies. They represent a very small fraction of the overall playerbase, but if decay timers aren't set to a length that is otherwise undesirable for the purpose of freeing up unused claims, then these players get the shaft when they go on holiday. This creates a dilemma because it's simultaneously unreasonable to set such a core mechanic around such a small minority AND to expect that minority to have to jump through all sorts of rl hoops not to lose all their time and effort when they just want to take a vacation (having someone come over to your house and log into your game while you're away on vacation just makes you seem weird and is a bit much to expect.) This system rather neatly solves that problem by giving players control over how long they get protection for, but in a balanced risk/reward way.

Now that I've looked at Sulfur's post and thought about it a bit, I do see a problem. I'm guessing Wurm doesn't have pure pve servers or have this system in place on them if it does, because simply allowing players to stuff money into a claim flag to gain ever more decay timer protection could get problematic if there is no raiding. @Sulfurblade can you speak to this? If Wurm doesn't have pure pve areas where this is in place, my suggestion would be to have upkeep costs increase exponentially over time if no company member opens the upkeep box or whatever. Have the progression work so that being away for two weeks is workable if planned in advance, but being away for a month becomes insanely expensive if no one is around.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

I don't understand him. When you know the decay timer and these pixels are emotionally important to you, Why you don't organized yourself? A sitter or someone who log in once?

If you have a cat or plant at home, do you let them left behind too because it's time for your selfish holidays?

If you like or love something (whatever you want), so you have to take care about. Especially when you know the consequences.

The 10 day decay timer is one of the best things theve done. 

And get real, if you can afford a 12 day vacation and your glorified minecraft is that important, youl bring a damn laptop and log in once to prevent it.

10 days is a good balance, argue 14, argue 8 its nice and round.

The reckless spamming throughout the map was out of control with no good way to clean it up before they had the decay.

Someone make a surprised pikachu meme cause OP is acting surprised at having lost his base when he clearly knew the game had a 10 day decay timer.

11 minutes ago, 6Xero9 said:

Someone make a surprised pikachu meme cause OP is acting surprised at having lost his base when he clearly knew the game had a 10 day decay timer.

Yeah that is just laziness right there. Smh 

On 9/22/2019 at 6:14 AM, boomervoncannon said:

I would ultimately refer you to Sulfur because I've never played Wurm so I can't speak to the system with authority, but as he's describing here, and using some experience based common sense, I'm guessing you must have a claim to build structures. In Wurm I don't think the structures are industructible until you get raided once, and then they gain protection for a period of time based on how much you had in your upkeep, which the first raider got a portion of. So I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to own indestructible buildings without a claim. 

What I really like about this system is it's flexibility for the player. The core problem that exists in Atlas which Guybrush's post highlights is the problem of EU solo players or family only companies. They represent a very small fraction of the overall playerbase, but if decay timers aren't set to a length that is otherwise undesirable for the purpose of freeing up unused claims, then these players get the shaft when they go on holiday. This creates a dilemma because it's simultaneously unreasonable to set such a core mechanic around such a small minority AND to expect that minority to have to jump through all sorts of rl hoops not to lose all their time and effort when they just want to take a vacation (having someone come over to your house and log into your game while you're away on vacation just makes you seem weird and is a bit much to expect.) This system rather neatly solves that problem by giving players control over how long they get protection for, but in a balanced risk/reward way.

Now that I've looked at Sulfur's post and thought about it a bit, I do see a problem. I'm guessing Wurm doesn't have pure pve servers or have this system in place on them if it does, because simply allowing players to stuff money into a claim flag to gain ever more decay timer protection could get problematic if there is no raiding. @Sulfurblade can you speak to this? If Wurm doesn't have pure pve areas where this is in place, my suggestion would be to have upkeep costs increase exponentially over time if no company member opens the upkeep box or whatever. Have the progression work so that being away for two weeks is workable if planned in advance, but being away for a month becomes insanely expensive if no one is around.

So Wurm has another thing going for it... Faction's

Yes the Friends raiding your base loophole sorta works

Problem is your friend would need to be in another faction, which in Wurm people in other factions are typically far from your friends not to say there are not the usual drama filled I quit this faction and go join the other faction, things and then said drama queen decides the grass was more green on the side he came from.  

But one person can only take X amount of the loot from the token, not to mention it's not a 1 to 1 reward system either...

For example 10,000 Gold is on token

Raid comes along 2,500 gold is removed from the token.

1 Person in the raid takes his share from raid "200 gold"

2nd person takes his share "200gold"

3rd person takes his share "200 gold"

4rth person takes his share "200 gold"

you only had 4 people with you 1,700 gold goes up in smoke to the mystery black hole.....

and at most 10 people can tap a token in a raid which means while your taking 25% of the cash from the owner if you have a full 10 guys you only end up with 20% as 5% just again simply vanishes into the black hole....

So if you had your friend raid you so you could get that nice long period of the token not being raidable then you losing a good amount of coin in the process....

As for What does the token do?  I keeps decay from destroying your buildings and items...  It does not make your wall invulnerable...  But it does add a decent buff to there durability because it's inside of the tokens influence...  So all the token really does ultimately is it keeps the game's Decay from destroying everything thru the natural decay that happens to anything you build in game....

It does not magically make your walls impossible to break....

However Wurm has Siege mechanics you not going to simply hit the wall with a hammer and break in, well you could if you got a few days and nothing better to do you could eventually bash thru a wall....  No you would typically build a Catapult at the location and use it to break thru the wall which again is a bit of an undertaking and it could take an hour or two but you can get thru....  Of course if anyone is there to defend then that changes the dynamic alot...

Of course I am leaving out many nuances of the game like Dirt Walls so high you need amazing stamina just to climb to the top where the actual wall is and then you have enough stamina for 1 swing of a siege hammer before you run out of stamina falling down the 255 dirt high dirt wall taking tons of damage....  Fortress's built like this in game are neigh unraidable but at the same time it takes a month for one guy to fill in the one tile 255 dirts high and you have to do that too 200+ Tiles those types of builds are insane...

And then you have new players with 12 points of skill in carpentry putting up wooden walls and locking their door thinking there stuff is safe and anyone with a butter knife can walk up and cut thru there wall in about 60 seconds....  Game revolves around skills and skills are grindy and take "years" to raise.   However again all of this is not really relevant to the token mechanic and I am getting off topic...

Edited by Sulfurblade

Lots of mmo's have decay, tbh I'm not sure you can ever get that part of it right no matter what you do. In conan exiles you get a week normally and two in summer, I see peoples buildings come and go all the time, usually twice losing everything and they quit for good. Fallout 76 have a mobile base you can use, Not sure if it works but no one can seem to get this game mechanic totally right, but they do keep trying.