Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm done... again.  Decided not to play until there's a wipe and the whole stupid land claim system gets fixed.

  • It started with someone claiming and taxing a previously unclaimed island where I was farming tin and cobalt.
  • It got exacerbated when I was trying to build a ship to take on STOD. Spent a small fortune in time and resources, got to the part where I was trying to place a sail and it kept saying obstructed (even though it was blue).  Ripped half the ship back apart and it was still obstructed (and got 0 resources back because it wasn't 'anchored').  Got pissed off and demolished the entire shipyard.
  • Then, got to looking at claiming the island I was on (not because I wanted taxes but because I didn't want anyone taxing all the work I'd put into it) and realized just how much maintenance I'd have to do to keep paying for it.

Screw that.

  • If you claim the land, you're taxed by the game, forced into a time-sink to pay for it and the only thing you get is that someone else can't tax you.
  • If you live on someone else's claim, you're taxed by them, spend 20% more of your time to gather the same amount of resources and get nothing return.
  • If you live on an unclaimed island, someone can come tax you without so much as a by-your-leave and you get nothing in return.
  • Of course, the other option is to live on a lag-fest lawless island and there, you are never truly safe from dickhead neighbors.

Sorry but this is supposed to be a game, it's supposed to entertain the players.  None of those options above are entertaining to me.

Ta-ta.

 

 

Edited by Jean Lafitte
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely wrong since months!!! If I set the tax of "my" island to 20% and you come to farm 1000 copper (a.e.). You get the 1000 copper without any loss and I get a bonus of 20% = 200 copper in my flag.

The only thing who's taxed like you know it is the gold from the treasure chests. There you gain 80% and the other 20% are mine.

 

The problem with the sails can happen because of any diagonal structure like a ramp or stairs. This is a issue since the release of Atlas. After spelling grudges and wreck it all down you know it for all the upcoming ships and don't get trapped again.

First thing after placing the planks and decks are the sails, if I build up a new ship because of that problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Forb Hidden said:

Absolutely wrong since months!!! If I set the tax of "my" island to 20% and you come to farm 1000 copper (a.e.). You get the 1000 copper without any loss and I get a bonus of 20% = 200 copper in my flag.

The only thing who's taxed like you know it is the gold from the treasure chests. There you gain 80% and the other 20% are mine.

 

The problem with the sails can happen because of any diagonal structure like a ramp or stairs. This is a issue since the release of Atlas. After spelling grudges and wreck it all down you know it for all the upcoming ships and don't get trapped again.

First thing after placing the planks and decks are the sails, if I build up a new ship because of that problem.

In PvP there still a "real tax" 

But in PvP, the landlord should protect you and such, so you got an advantage on living on someone else island 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still Dont understand why upkeep or tax still is a Problem.  The First few days After a fresh wipe but now you get so much good for Basicly Doing Nothing. Sell stuff tames or Ressources. Do a few Maps on Weekends or Dive for shipwrecks After the Buff,go whale hunting, all stuff which gives you enough Gold for a years upkeep in a Short Amount of time

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

Absolutely wrong since months!!! If I set the tax of "my" island to 20% and you come to farm 1000 copper (a.e.). You get the 1000 copper without any loss and I get a bonus of 20% = 200 copper in my flag. 

Pvp tax is deducted from what you harvest but in pve nothing is deducted and the 20% is a bonus for the land owner that doesn't affect the harvester

So they are "absolutely right, since months"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. I’m confused. 

On the one hand, You don’t get any benefit from owning an island. “The only thing you get is that somebody else can’t tax you .”

And then you complain that when you don’t own the island you get taxed and have to give that to the land owner so the owner benefits from your work. 

But if you live in lawless, any dickhead can screw you. But they can’t mess with you on an owned (yours or somebody else’s) island?  

Make up your mind. 

Sounds like there are no benefits to any of this and it’s all just one big Jean Lafitte screwfest. 

 

By by the way, this isn’t an airport. No need to announce your departure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

I'm done... again.  Decided not to play until there's a wipe and the whole stupid land claim system gets fixed.

  • It started with someone claiming and taxing a previously unclaimed island where I was farming tin and cobalt.
  • It got exacerbated when I was trying to build a ship to take on STOD. Spent a small fortune in time and resources, got to the part where I was trying to place a sail and it kept saying obstructed (even though it was blue).  Ripped half the ship back apart and it was still obstructed (and got 0 resources back because it wasn't 'anchored').  Got pissed off and demolished the entire shipyard.
  • Then, got to looking at claiming the island I was on (not because I wanted taxes but because I didn't want anyone taxing all the work I'd put into it) and realized just how much maintenance I'd have to do to keep paying for it.

Screw that.

  • If you claim the land, you're taxed by the game, forced into a time-sink to pay for it and the only thing you get is that someone else can't tax you.
  • If you live on someone else's claim, you're taxed by them, spend 20% more of your time to gather the same amount of resources and get nothing return.
  • If you live on an unclaimed island, someone can come tax you without so much as a by-your-leave and you get nothing in return.
  • Of course, the other option is to live on a lag-fest lawless island and there, you are never truly safe from dickhead neighbors.

Sorry but this is supposed to be a game, it's supposed to entertain the players.  None of those options above are entertaining to me.

Ta-ta.

 

 

Just saying, I was against the land claim before you were. I was actually the person on day one that said the claim system was stupid.

please try to actually defend the claim system at all(really at all). If you do then every one of these reasons is false. If you just agree that the whole claim system is bad, then we can work on a real solution.

 

11 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

Absolutely wrong since months!!! If I set the tax of "my" island to 20% and you come to farm 1000 copper (a.e.). You get the 1000 copper without any loss and I get a bonus of 20% = 200 copper in my flag.

The only thing who's taxed like you know it is the gold from the treasure chests. There you gain 80% and the other 20% are mine.

 

The problem with the sails can happen because of any diagonal structure like a ramp or stairs. This is a issue since the release of Atlas. After spelling grudges and wreck it all down you know it for all the upcoming ships and don't get trapped again.

First thing after placing the planks and decks are the sails, if I build up a new ship because of that problem.

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr Myst said:

Ok. I’m confused. 

On the one hand, You don’t get any benefit from owning an island. “The only thing you get is that somebody else can’t tax you .”

And then you complain that when you don’t own the island you get taxed and have to give that to the land owner so the owner benefits from your work. 

But if you live in lawless, any dickhead can screw you. But they can’t mess with you on an owned (yours or somebody else’s) island?  

Make up your mind. 

Sounds like there are no benefits to any of this and it’s all just one big Jean Lafitte screwfest. 

 

By by the way, this isn’t an airport. No need to announce your departure. 

Hey, I might not like the guy either but I have also seen him post for months. You are some newbie that tries to come in and start preaching? Lol

the claim system is faulty at the very core and never should have been around to begin with. The OP, regardless of my thoughts on him has very valid points.

the claim system is the real problem. Not a single aspect of it, but the whole idea of it was stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Badkebab said:

Pvp tax is deducted from what you harvest but in pve nothing is deducted and the 20% is a bonus for the land owner that doesn't affect the harvester

So they are "absolutely right, since months"

I just know the PvE mechanics because as a working person with friends, girlfriend and family I can't be in front of the game for 16h a day.

And Jean didn't wrote if it's pve or pvp. So both are "totally right!" 😉

3 hours ago, Realist said:

Nope.

Oh and what exactly? I was not wrong and you can't hit out a "Nope" without an argument.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Realist said:

Hey, I might not like the guy either but I have also seen him post for months. You are some newbie that tries to come in and start preaching? Lol

the claim system is faulty at the very core and never should have been around to begin with. The OP, regardless of my thoughts on him has very valid points.

the claim system is the real problem. Not a single aspect of it, but the whole idea of it was stupid.

Ah. Yes. Nice ad hominem there. Just because this account doesn’t have posts I must be a newbie and not know what I am talking about. /sigh. 

His arguments contradict each other. 

In summary, he said:

’It doesn’t make sense to own an island because you gain no benefit but it doesn’t make sense not to own because you pay the land owner’ (which is a benefit to the landowner).

‘There are no benefits to building in lawless because people screw you over’ which implies there are benefits to owning or building on an owner island. 

If he were to say that the benefits were not sufficient for the cost, that is a discussion worth having. But he didn’t say that. “You get nothing in return.” 

 

personally, I think the claim system is a nice idea. However, it is most effective on a large population server with a lot of people building, harvesting, and working together. If you have 20 settlers on your island, all harvesting and giving you a tax, it means you don’t have to harvest. All you have to do is just pull from your flag/bank and build as much as you want. Frees you up to get gold to pay for the island  

 

If you have an issue with something, rather than just complain, offer solutions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×