Sign in to follow this  
gadefence

Weight sails are spectacularly worthless

Weight sails when blank and on a 0% ship: 8 knots (10~ during storm)

Speed sails on a 75% ship: 14 knots (18~ during storm)

Weight sails on a 90% full ship: 3 knots

All under substantially similar wind (speed and weight at 15 and 10 were under same wind on two different ships, 3 knots was later under wind that was about the same strength on the compass)

Weight sails either need to give you nearly identical speed when empty/full (ex: 8-7) or need a significant buff to weight. Like 10k per sail or something. You're taking a nearly 50% speed debuff, and it doesn't even out speed a speed sail when highly loaded.

It's been a known fact for awhile now that speed sails are the best way to go period.  Until sails are fixed or re-balanced, whatever you want to call it.

What about handling sails though?  Think one on a Galleon + 5 speed sails is pretty optimal, tiny speed hit, but for extra turning ummph.

Weight sails?   yeah... meh.

no idea how you measured speed but weight sails do need higher angle for wind to match handling sail. part of the problem is how speed works with a ships weight.

my understanding is

speed sails adds "x" amount of speed beyond default aka 100%.

handling adds acceleration and wind angle advantage but only the default 100% speed

weight increases weight on ship but only 100% speed.Also i get the feeling has slightly better angle than speed but not as good as handling.

In theory if you are making say a carrier galleon you will want the 6 weight sails over 6 handling. say you want to get back home after a big load at best possible speed.

assuming you have 6speed, you have default weight of the 30k,thats about 23k of weight available once you put stuff like smithy's,basic repair mats etc on your boat thats 27k max weight for 90% weight. or 10%speed+speed sail bonus+ hoping you get lucky on wind to be able to even move.(i assumed about 7k worth of weight for materials, furnishings etc)

6handling sail, you end up the same except your speed ends up slower with a simple 10%speed, but you get full 10% likely even if you got bad wind.

6 weight sails. they each add 1100 default? so thats 6.6k weight added that put you at 36600weight  or 32,940 for 90% speed, thats an extra 5,940weight worth of mats that speed sails and handling sails couldn't give you.

**OR you can use that extra weight for speed still carry only 23k weight and have 30% speed. thats 20% faster than if you were using handling for the same weight and probably still faster then if you were using speed sails for the same weight.

so what ends up happening is you have 3 choices at 90% weight

1.a bit of extra speed 23k worth of mats

2.better angling standard speed 23k worth of mats.

3.standard speed extra 5,940(28,940) worth of mats.

keep in mind theres also bps that can increase weight sails.

or at 23k weight

1.10%+speed sail bonus.

2.10%speed

3.30% speed (probably much faster than speed sail and 3xs faster than handling sails)

My thinking, weight sails are good, but more wind angle would make them great.

Edited by Nokim

I think they should just change it so that weight sails still move almost normal speed when the ship is weighed down, then they would be useful

Like OP said. 

5 hours ago, Nokim said:

no idea how you measured speed but weight sails do need higher angle for wind to match handling sail. part of the problem is how speed works with a ships weight.

my understanding is

speed sails adds "x" amount of speed beyond default aka 100%.

handling adds acceleration and wind angle advantage but only the default 100% speed

weight increases weight on ship but only 100% speed.Also i get the feeling has slightly better angle than speed but not as good as handling.

In theory if you are making say a carrier galleon you will want the 6 weight sails over 6 handling. say you want to get back home after a big load at best possible speed.

assuming you have 6speed, you have default weight of the 30k,thats about 23k of weight available once you put stuff like smithy's,basic repair mats etc on your boat thats 27k max weight for 90% weight. or 10%speed+speed sail bonus+ hoping you get lucky on wind to be able to even move.(i assumed about 7k worth of weight for materials, furnishings etc)

6handling sail, you end up the same except your speed ends up slower with a simple 10%speed, but you get full 10% likely even if you got bad wind.

6 weight sails. they each add 1100 default? so thats 6.6k weight added that put you at 36600weight  or 32,940 for 90% speed, thats an extra 5,940weight worth of mats that speed sails and handling sails couldn't give you.

We had 2 brigs, one at 75% with 3 speed, one at 5% with 3 weight and had the sextant buff that tells you your speed.

That's how we got the 15 and 8, then the 3 once the weight sails were at 90%.

The weight sails are FAR slower even when burdened vs speed sails when burdened.

Even +6.6k on a 30k galleon, it's not worth an over 80% reduction in speed. If they don't up the speed drastically and nearly flatline the weight speed loss, they'll need to add like 10k weight per sail to make it worth it.

15 speed @ 75% weight = better then 8 speed @ 5% weight, and WAY better then 3 speed @ 90% weight.

And yeah, people been bitching about sails since the start, I was just reiterating how bad it was.