Sign in to follow this  
IAmAnEasterEgg

Do this properly

I think it's time to take the game off the market. 

Pull all the official servers. 

Then develope the game without the community input.  This might not be popular. But because you are reactive in your development you are making a lot of mistakes. 

The problem is this when your a developer and having the users directly effect how you develope can cause huge inconsistencies, mistakes and a lot of imbalance. 

It seems like you do not have an analyst or not a good one (I do not mean any offence). But it is their job to act as a buffer between the users and the development team. 

A relaunch in May with each person who has more than 100 hours in the game getting started at lvl 20 with a power stone called origin which gives em a boost of 5 lvls to max and a new dance Would probably get more people to come back. 

He is probably right tbh. I see a lot of stupid ideas floating around on the forum and reddit.

Frankly yall need to pick a direction and stick to it, use your own vision.

Do you want to make a large scale open world sandbox style game.

Do you want something else?

Sometimes listening to the player base can go to far.

As far as giving returning players extra levels, fuck that. A pretty parrot or some visual crap is all they need. Just make sure the shit works.

Edited by Back Stabbath

53 minutes ago, Back Stabbath said:

He is probably right tbh. I see a lot of stupid ideas floating around on the forum and reddit.

As far as giving returning players extra levels, fuck that. A pretty parrot or some visual crap is all they need. Just make sure the shit works.

Can I at least just have a new dance

4 hours ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

I think it's time to take the game off the market. 

Pull all the official servers. 

Then develope the game without the community input.  This might not be popular. But because you are reactive in your development you are making a lot of mistakes. 

The problem is this when your a developer and having the users directly effect how you develope can cause huge inconsistencies, mistakes and a lot of imbalance. 

It seems like you do not have an analyst or not a good one (I do not mean any offence). But it is their job to act as a buffer between the users and the development team. 

A relaunch in May with each person who has more than 100 hours in the game getting started at lvl 20 with a power stone called origin which gives em a boost of 5 lvls to max and a new dance Would probably get more people to come back. 

Nope. None of that loyal player crap. New players need the level boost not the old players. 

3 hours ago, Realist said:

Nope. None of that loyal player crap. New players need the level boost not the old players. 

It's not about need it's about trying to get more of the player base back quickly . It might entice a majority of boarder line cases back and repopulate the game faster than usual. 

I’ve said this before... 

the biggest mistake a game company can make is NOT listening to their player base

the second biggest mistake IS listening to their player base

its the community managers and the devs jobs to see the reason through the noise

Typically two types of people post on game forums... loud, entitled, narcissistic, people who like to complain about their problems and troll others and people that actually want to game to succeed and post reasonable, productive feedback. 

This fourm is heavy on the former. 

Yeah I see more childish feedback about how something personally affected them.  Sad part is they think we care.

Bug reports need to be very specific and detailed to better help them isolate trends and fix issues.  Half the crap I see can possibly be attributed to their shitty PC or ISP and since they spent more time complaining about the issue instead of describing it, the circumstances surrounding it, their location, can it be reproduced, etc we will never know. 

Game rules/mechanic feedback needs more then saying it sucks.  It needs reason why it sucks.  Logical reasons that extend beyond your personal experience.  They also need alternatives or suggest tweaks and reason why those would be better. 

Edited by DocHolliday

2 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

the biggest mistake a game company can make is NOT listening to their player base

the second biggest mistake IS listening to their player base

its the community managers and the devs jobs to see the reason through the noise

That's usually a job of an analyst not a dev. A friend of mine use to say a about devs.

You can tell then to build a traffic light and you will get a traffic light. But One that shows green in all directions .  Mayhem 

It's an analyst job to ensure what the users want is also fit for purpose. 

1 hour ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

That's usually a job of an analyst not a dev. A friend of mine use to say a about devs.

You can tell then to build a traffic light and you will get a traffic light. But One that shows green in all directions .  Mayhem 

It's an analyst job to ensure what the users want is also fit for purpose. 

That’s probably true, maybe more so in larger games especially. You need someone to distill down the useful information. I think if I where a dev I would stay away from forums like this if at all possible. I get the feeling that the atlas team is pretty small though. 

I see so many ideas that get floated here that only address “my” problem with no thought to how it will affect the greater population if implemented. 

Edited by Meerkat

2 hours ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

It's not about need it's about trying to get more of the player base back quickly . It might entice a majority of boarder line cases back and repopulate the game faster than usual. 

What they need is new players. Old players don’t pay the bills man. Plus most of the old players are toxic so them leaving would be a good thing. They are going to run out of money if they don’t either get atlas to console or get new pc players. Old players are probably the last thing on their minds.

like Dollie said. They aren’t worried about numbers right now

26 minutes ago, Realist said:

What they need is new players. Old players don’t pay the bills man. Plus most of the old players are toxic so them leaving would be a good thing. They are going to run out of money if they don’t either get atlas to console or get new pc players. Old players are probably the last thing on their minds.

like Dollie said. They aren’t worried about numbers right now

lol look at you claiming old players are toxic and not important. Do I need to remind you what you think of Atlas players in general?

hdt8iuf.png

Sounds to me like some of the new players are going to be just as toxic when it comes to console.

The game won't get a load of new players if a good portion of the old players don't return. Also with what's happened so far on PC I doubt console is at the fore front of the Devs minds.

But don't worry Realist, you'll be one of those "stupidest and most pathetic players out there" one day.

2 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

lol look at you claiming old players are toxic and not important. Do I need to remind you what you think of Atlas players in general?

hdt8iuf.png

Sounds to me like some of the new players are going to be just as toxic when it comes to console.

The game won't get a load of new players if a good portion of the old players don't return. Also with what's happened so far on PC I doubt console is at the fore front of the Devs minds.

But don't worry Realist, you'll be one of those "stupidest and most pathetic players out there" one day.

It better be on their minds since the money isn’t going to last forever. They are good at cash grabs so believe me once the money starts thinning out the will push it out on console regardless of the state of the game.

well these types of games are a breeding ground for toxic people so yeah that was pretty obvious.

go ahead and keep posting what I say on Twitter, I am owning it. I know I can’t act that way on here so I can’t be that stupid lol

To be honest not caring about the old player base returning  is a really really short sighted view. How can you get new players in if they are seen to not caring about previous customers.

Tell me this if you had the choice of buying  1 of 2 games you wanted to play would you choose the one that is seen to have not taken care of previous customers completely ignored them  or would you buy a game from a developer who was seen to rectify issues  and get unhappy customers back playing the game. 

To say this game was a money grab is a bit wrong the game was 25 euro and say they sold about 100k copies. (I'm not sure) so 2.5 million in sales with a portion to tax and to steam they might come out with 2 mill  net. 

They had 4 separate server farms probably with top tier ram cpu and storage of 15 x 15 servers plus a login server for each that is 229 x 4 servers they had to rent at maybe they got a good deal 60 quid a month a server that's about 55k a month. 3 months that's 165 k so far that doesn't even account for software licenses or any disaster recovery.

Wages would easily amount to 60 to 100k per person a year depending on roles. I'm unsure of the number of people so far but say the game was been developed for at least 1 and a half years by ten people that's at least 1 million in wages never mind the cost of running an environment for them to work. 

So they are probably 800k in the green at the moment which is hardly a money grab when it comes to it. So they would have maybe enough money for development for between 4 to 6 months and  continuing the running of the servers. 

This is all speculation and I do not have the actual data but I am showing you before you think this is a money grab think of the costs of running the service the pre_existing development cost and the cost of continuing to develop and supply platforms for the community.  It all mounts up. 

22 minutes ago, IAmAnEasterEgg said:

To be honest not caring about the old player base returning  is a really really short sighted view. How can you get new players in if they are seen to not caring about previous customers.

Tell me this if you had the choice of buying  1 of 2 games you wanted to play would you choose the one that is seen to have not taken care of previous customers completely ignored them  or would you buy a game from a developer who was seen to rectify issues  and get unhappy customers back playing the game. 

To say this game was a money grab is a bit wrong the game was 25 euro and say they sold about 100k copies. (I'm not sure) so 2.5 million in sales with a portion to tax and to steam they might come out with 2 mill  net. 

They had 4 separate server farms probably with top tier ram cpu and storage of 15 x 15 servers plus a login server for each that is 229 x 4 servers they had to rent at maybe they got a good deal 60 quid a month a server that's about 55k a month. 3 months that's 165 k so far that doesn't even account for software licenses or any disaster recovery.

Wages would easily amount to 60 to 100k per person a year depending on roles. I'm unsure of the number of people so far but say the game was been developed for at least 1 and a half years by ten people that's at least 1 million in wages never mind the cost of running an environment for them to work. 

So they are probably 800k in the green at the moment which is hardly a money grab when it comes to it. So they would have maybe enough money for development for between 4 to 6 months and  continuing the running of the servers. 

This is all speculation and I do not have the actual data but I am showing you before you think this is a money grab think of the costs of running the service the pre_existing development cost and the cost of continuing to develop and supply platforms for the community.  It all mounts up. 

This generation of gamers is very instant gratification. If you can’t jeep their interest then they just leave. The good news is once they have that money it really doesn’t matter if they leave. 

The other guy tried to say that you need to have to old players to bring in new players. That is completely untrue. These guys are masters at hype. They can pull anybody into anything. They do struggle at keeping them. With Jeremy it ia all about the money. Watch any video of him or his Twitter account. This guy is awesome at hype.

but when it really comes down to it the hype is for the money and believe me they made a lot of money with ark and at atlas’ best day they are barely at ark’s Worst day. 

This idea just didn’t work. People need to realize they tried to think way too big with this and what they want is simply not possible. Add that in with the fact they rushed it out way too early and yeah they screwed themselves big time 

10 hours ago, Back Stabbath said:

either put something out concrete so others can follow you or stop writing, just stop...

How many games would you buy with a mostly negative review. Your right the current gaming generation  is fickle ( that's Wat I call it) and the reviews will stop the game from been sold in any great numbers. Unless the recent reviews actually show mostly positive on steam and the numbers increase to over 20k again.

This gaming generation do their homework when it comes to games. Twitch/YouTube give them a better view. So even if you have their money there is a knock on effect of not getting the money of  the friend who  play other  games with them.  Its very short sighted to not to think it matters. I've never seen a video of Jeremy sorry 

I think the idea is good I like the idea of having to travel to get resources and trade for them. The problem was they brought legacy issues from ark in to the game with out thinking about balance between different groups of people. Thoes who want to be part of a huge mega companies and thoes who want to be part of smaller companies. They made off line raiding too easy with inconsistent balancing problems ie 4 hrs to grind a base but 30 Mins to create the Items to destroy a base is an example same goes for boats. 

I didn't mind getting raided but I don't think I should be told who raided  me. 

I remembered ark when we raided people didn't kill Thier tames and just took their stuff. Was a more enjoyable game then. 

Edited by IAmAnEasterEgg