Sign in to follow this  
José Gaspar

My take on how upkeep should go.

Here is my take how upkeep should work,  I just to a shot at hard numbers, those should be tweaked

Repair chest takes one item, thatch, available almost everywhere and any one can get in little time.

Every foundation, pillar, gate, or other structure put into ground requires just thatch to maintain at a rate of 1 thatch an hour,every minute not maintained it takes one damage, which must be repaired normally.     Anything put onto another structure does not need maintenance.  A newly placed item gets an hours before it starts taking damage.

A  repair chest covers all items in a small radius, (10x10 foundations) and also attached to same structure the chest is on. Pressing H will show structures not covered by a repair chest.  The chest should hold enough thatch to keep a 10x10 build for only a 10 days, if you will be longer, you will need multiple chest or a smaller build

Ship should have setup, but the repair chest is anywhere on ship, even a galleon, but with ships each plank requires maintenance. A raft  is considered to have 6 planks.

Advantages:  

- the support of a small building will be trivial, getting enough till next week only should take a couple minutes.  Not much more overhead than eating.

- Not instant destruction for non-repair.  just need to repair the item.

- No extra cost for fancy buildings, just footprint requires maintenance,

- Can take longer periods away by building multiple repair chests.

- Stronger structures will last longer when not maintained, but will cost more to repair when returning.  Thatch would go away fairly quickly, stone will take noticeable longer.

- Pillar/foundation spam will be next to impossible to maintain as each piece would require separate repair regularly.

Disadvantages:

- elevated buildings would reduce the cost. a single foundation can support a 7x7 area.  the extra overhang may need to be incorporated into cost.

- I person with a large stockpile of thatch could be there just long enough to transfer the thatch to the repair bin., but sooner or later they will run out of thatch.

Edited by José Gaspar

no, upkeep should be what the items are made of and should decay at a rate of the single items being gone in 5 mins , with the timer increasing as u attach more items together . , player can farm thousands of thatch in a few mins ,the spam with only thatch as upkeep would be as bad as lawless

Edited by UDO

UPKEEP cost is the same  Bullshit like , organic paste cost on stone. Dont accept it... dont find solutions for it. Better fight for gettin it removed. This is nonsense punish PVE players for griefers... no way!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

UPKEEP cost is the same  Bullshit like , organic paste cost on stone. Dont accept it... dont find solutions for it. Better fight for gettin it removed. This is nonsense punish PVE players for griefers... no way!

yeah let’s just let griefers pillar everywhere they want with no decay and upkeep , have u even seen lawless areas or played ark ,

good thing devs don’t listen to players like u 

Edited by uli

upkeep cost is a bad solution to handle griefers... i saw lawless regions... but griefers on lawless zones is no reason to change the building system in that way on all pve servers....   increased demolish-decay on single sturctures without any connection to at least 20-40 structures would be the same. Or more effective higher the block range of sturctures on all zones. Seperate the structure block range from resource block range. Without ruining PVE

The problem on lawless and in general is not structure cost, its the blocking range. Even with upkeep cost people will grief... thats so easy...  some gates around the resources and i got you babe! And they can upkeep them for ever....   players need the possibility to protect them self and maybe resource spots. The devs could make that rare resources like metal having a naturally sturcture block. that would  fix this too...

Edited by Egon von Sturmberg
  • Like 1

Anchored ships should not decay - ONLY bases and buildings should decay if you don't log in. Animals should die if you don't feed them. 

J

Edited by hands solo
  • Like 1

the problem with making upkeep the same materials that it took to make them, then thatch becomes the cheapest thing to maintain.   Maintenance should be constant or inverse to the cost to build, that is why stone should be least expensive to maintain and thatch the most.

Everything should have some maintenance, even anchored ships.    PvE also has a problem with abandon ships as well, just go to a FoY location to see that.

My solution for upkeep -  No upkeep.  Put claim flags back in.  Limit flags.  Problem solved.

Repairs for damaged structures..sure.  General upkeep?  Nope.  There's no need for it.

2 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

My solution for upkeep -  No upkeep.  Put claim flags back in.  Limit flags.  Problem solved.

Repairs for damaged structures..sure.  General upkeep?  Nope.  There's no need for it.

the problem is unless the devs do a reverse on their stupid decision upkeep has to stay 

i , along with the majority want flags to stay but with limits per company depending on how many members they have 

if every keeps asking for this then maybe we can influence them to go that route instead of the stupid lawless crap 

and while  they are at it remove lawless so all islands out side freeport are same system they are adding more islands so there will be plenty of land for everyone 

Edited by uli

16 minutes ago, uli said:

the problem is unless the devs do a reverse on their stupid decision upkeep has to stay 

i , along with the majority want flags to stay but with limits per company depending on how many members they have 

if every keeps asking for this then maybe we can influence them to go that route instead of the stupid lawless crap 

and while  they are at it remove lawless so all islands out side freeport are same system they are adding more islands so there will be plenty of land for everyone 

They have to do a reverse on it, otherwise nothing works.

Upkeep doesn't work, and causes more problems than it fixes, so if they don't reverse their decision, they can add upkeep all they want and the game still won't be worth playing.

Nothing wrong with upkeep. Everything decays, upkeep doesnt mean it will take all your time it just means it is not 100% perm without some effort. 

my issue with the upkeep is as follow:

I have a couple of outposts sitting on lawless islands. Each is a 3x2 foundation that I have going up 10 panels. In each I have storage, smithy, bed, and tannery. It is meant for me to show up, gather resources and store them until I float a transporter over for hauling to my base. By current practice I must show up every third day to make sure my timer doesn't run out and someone demo my post. It has worked well for me, and I believe for those around as I have seen people come and go and noone has protested my small little slice of the pie. How when my spots are so small can you deter others from spamming and at the same time allow me not to have to act like each spot IS a base? trying to tie everything into how big something is also makes it to where you must by default take even more space then some of us will, just to keep our stuff. For instance if you try to erase anything under a 2x2 then they will just throw down a 2x3 and continue. if you need 10 then they will just wall off.  

Truly the only way to stop it is to punish them.